Krita to depreciate Mac support

In light of the news of Apple halting support of OpenGL on MacOS, the Krita team has been forced to shelve their efforts on the platform.

Attached: 60c0705a-f5e1-46f2-a104-9ed1c8319ece.png (640x625, 89.74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Krita_Painting/status/1003932780235980800
twitter.com/boudewijnrempt/status/1003976669143715840
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wow. This really did kill the Kiki.

Attached: tfw_they_don_t_use_your_drawing_program_by_sketchman01-daag4tr.jpg (640x419 77.35 KB, 57.59K)

Does this mean that Krita is pulling out, or will they try to keep it going as long as they can?

Attached: 7dabfc797d011fad02035a1b69644446bce4ec1f87383fa9c96dfa5c37f7060a.png (668x2776, 447.64K)

Obviously this would happen. How many developers will want to port their entire rendering system to some exclusive apple shit just so those 4 fags in starbucks can use it.

I do kinda wonder how many of their donations are coming from Mac users though.

Attached: krita_kiki4b_wip_by_windhydra-d9bbxtc.jpg (1200x1920, 188.34K)

Probably the latter, but I doubt they will be investing much effort like in the first pic of . The best solution would be if someone were to write a Metal shim so Krita remain written against OpenGL while the shim takes care of Metal. Of course in practice a shim will rarely work flawlessly all the time.

This is the real problem, Mac users have deeper pockets. I wonder what will happen to Wine and CrossOver on macOS now.

Were these tweets already deleted or what?

Pic related makes me wish it dropped support for every platform.

It appears so.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (945x756, 840.14K)

Are you nazi or what?
It's a common trend now, just to prevent anybody calling them nazis.

Krita beats the shit out of any other OSS application for digital painting. Who cares some street shitters use it?

Attached: 396b2e5d71bf231a8589e8090383f2f83f69d7b1dc093e459ea7998593d7c76e.jpg (1140x1136, 87.31K)

They're still up for me:

You can tell from the lines that these are replies to someone else. You have to log in to see them.

Attached: f0995b4978ccb4f528fba2e19624aab1382ddef582537395412042b7126547be.png (1068x809, 215.93K)

I can visit the link just fine, but cannot find it out of thin air by myself. There are nothing linking to it if you aren't logged in.

That's how replies on Twitter work. It's why I posted the pics instead of just leaving a link and a cute Kiki picture.

Attached: 18_kiki_colored_by_lady_chamomile-d9omtpp.jpg (800x878, 71.89K)

Looks like the Godot guys intend to support Mac via MoltenVK now. Krita doesn't have any Vulkan support, so they're stuck.

Attached: 36b2e8b1-a2bd-47a1-a3af-b1c3ae52cca0.png (626x560, 92.01K)

Most mac users i know either use the machine for social media and/or adobe software.
Even these most "yas opensource" mac users i know just use firefox instead of chrome.

And to think they wern't gong to support Vulkan not to long ago.

Attached: 30db72aed83de3b27e8eed027f030505.png (1200x660, 1.43M)

This is part of apples plan to deprecate PCs as a whole.
Once apple does it everyone else will follow suit.

In the future everyone only has an NSA approved tracking device which connects into the cloud.

Attached: 1294402825629.jpg (1280x1444, 170.33K)

I think they were just postponing it

Should have given both.

You joke, but Apple barely cares about Macs anymore.

This has already almost happened.

Fine. Here:

Isn't Wine working on Vulkan support? It maybe Mac users will have to get used to using their compatibility layer with MoltenVK.

That's not even "conspiracy theory" material. It's literally the world most tech illiterates are living in.

Looks like the Krita devs are taking the news in stride:
twitter.com/boudewijnrempt/status/1003976669143715840

Attached: 5d0708ac-324e-4c06-9d66-09d64e791332.png (640x393, 44.55K)

macfags btfo

The future is already here, user. It's called iPhone.

Attached: reallymakesyouthink.jpeg (1280x720, 155.49K)

Don't think any mac users care about free software.

I doub't half of them understand you aren't talking about gratis.

Somebody needs to finish this...

Except for the fact that the iPhone has been destroyed by Android based phones on a pricing and feature standpoint. Unless you mean iPhone as some catch all term for smartphone, then nevermind, the future is here.

Wew. I wonder what the GIMP dev is going to say.

It's like they hate money or something.

Attached: d5db93b6bd9396976e486e928b48086b6aca9a8211c48f0bafd69b6cc6b233b3.gif (538x572, 338.43K)

There are already no builds of GIMP 2.10 for the current version of macos.
Sucks to be a macos user, tbqh.

Dad pays for my Adobe® Creative Cloud™ subscription

suck my dick

But what about WebGL?
Surely they aren't dropping it.
What if Krita can use WebGL (with Electron, or without)?

Not technically possible atm.

This thread made me realize that there's no fighting back, and they really are going to ban desktop computers in 5 years. Because in this thread and two others, every channer seems to agree with the same thing, and that there is nothing we can do to fight back. Thwy fucking won.

Why do you think that MS has decided to buy Git? To advanced further to this goal.

We. Fucking. Surrender.

Would you stop it with this black-pill meme shit from /g/?

Attached: 0c3ff913da66495500a356f0f6ee19aaef03b6d86c5295a98b56010832f583a3.png (1638x1701, 558.39K)

can you even fucking read?

You have to go back.

Oh shut the fuck up, desktops and laptops aren't dead yet. It's true smartphones are the dominate device, especially in places like Japan and China and to a lesser extent USA and Europe but businesses, content creators, and gamers need their powerhouse PCs. And out of all the companies to get close to "replace" stationary electronics the only one who is even close to that and is mainstream is Nintendo, and oh look, it just docks into a quasi-console. At worst, we will have smartphones and tablets that dock into "real" computers. But I'm also being optimistic about this.

as if apple hadn't done the same some time back with getting rid of ppc support. They've always been anti-consumer.

Did you just say that Google didn't buy Usenet?

what's the matter? I thot Krita was open sauce?

Zig Forums and (on a smaller scale) Zig Forums users will infest every board in Zig Forums. Just learn to ignore their shit.

Which is ironically the issue here. In order to support Apple going forward, devs will HAVE to use a proprietary graphics API. It is utter bullshit.

It's like people are skipping halfchan and coming strait from Leddit.

And another one down.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-06-05 14:48:33.png (635x429, 77.16K)

Have you seen Zig Forums lately? It's like 4chan is just a redirect these days.

Does anyone have that image of Apple shitting and BSDs tripping over themselves to eat a drop? Don't get whiplash when they need another bailout. Apple doesn't deserve to be in business at all.

Based Kiggers

Blender is the best.

Who cares what GIMP devs say? GIMP hasn't been relevant or useful for years.

I'm okay with this timeline. β1.048537

gamers don't need access to the hardware. they don't even care what the hardware is as long as it runs their games.
businesses don't care about hardware either. as long as they can run their business they are fine with whatever.
developers will move quietly like they always do to a PC free environment. they will reluctantly or even joyfully accept the new mobile domain for their development environment and will send their code off to the cloud for it to be compiled and signed. this will all be done for the reasons that 1) it moves every architecture for every device under one umbrella and 2) it provides security so that no one can any longer put malware into their programs.

Gimp 2.10 is actually bordering on 'alright'.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-06-05 17-49-01.png (1920x1080, 481.31K)

Fuck this guy.

just fucking got BTFO by simple truth and facts

Absolutely false and homosexual.

Could be her great-great-great grand kid.

Don't have a stroke rabbi.

do you have any facts to back up that butthurt?

He doesn't lmao, he's not even replying!

Fact: The GPU and high-end CPU markets bring in millions every year
Fact: Every attempt at cloud gaming has crashed and burned
Fact: Every time they're is even the suggestion that games will become streaming-only, gamers get mad that they can't physically run it on their device.

Now hurry back to Tel Aviv.

Stop being an obnoxious faggot.

The Jews keep forgetting that physics gets in the way of the attempts at distorting reality for shekels.

Not for long...

Because the processing power wasn't there. Now it is, and Microsoft is trying their hand at it again, to very possible success. Also refer to the Switch version of Resident Evil 7.

Gamers AKA the 2% of people who so much as acknowledge the existence of games that aren't Fortnite.

What are digital download games? People don't even own a physical copy of the game anymore.

You won't get a response from him. He's fucking cornered.

If you’re older than your teens you should be embarrassed about not just your retarded attempts to sound like you know what the fuck you’re talking about but sleeping through all the failed game streaming services that have been laughed at to the grave.

They keep forgetting you can't exactly move real-time entertainment products to datacenters thousands of miles/kilometers away. Unless you can alter the speed of light in a vacuum, you'll have unacceptable latency no matter what you try.

Besides, they have much more effective ways to keep you from owning your software. One's that don't involve running low-latency network connections to every home and breaking the laws of physics.

As bad as that is, the code is still running locally from storage you own. There's at least some ways you can still ""own"" that.

Nice job digging yourself a hole there. Make room for an oven, alright?

Attached: 97c669001eec16dd724eccca1f44864e69939261806f3314e706ea011dafe7ba-tech.jpg (250x250, 13.95K)

And since those binaries are all signed, how are you certain you can backup that binary and move it hardware without needing to buy it again?

Cracked executables- the same way it's been done for decades. This is assuming the application isn't something like an MMO, though even those have been modified to run on unofficial servers.

As long as you have physical access to the software, any copy protection measures will eventually be rendered inert. Give it time, and any closed system will eventually be burst wide-open- be it through hardware flaws or software exploits. It's something you should know if you're even remotely aware of the homebrew and piracy scenes.

That's not legal. With a physical copy, people can take the CD or DVD and install the game on new hardware. You don't need to crack anything to get it to work.

Connections running at the speed of light would be acceptable latencies, really. But wires don't work at the speed of light, and you are not the only one using the network and it has to be shared between all clients of your ISP, and your connection is jumping between who knows how many routers that generally process packets blazingly fast but not instantly, and if your destination is at another country it will have to travel through the backbone alongside other thousand guys like you, and that wire has to be shared, as thicc as it may be.

So you don't really need to bend the laws of physics for an acceptable experience, but we are several decades, if not centuries, away from having hardware or connections so direct this does not matter. And even then we will probably know better than use that hardware for vidya streaming because local will always be faster.

The same issues of copy protection still apply. The only difference is that the draconian DRM is pressed to a disc instead of a download. Hell, the most notorious DRM was actually used on physical games. Not to mention, no-disc cracks were very popular even among legitimate owners of physical software.

Remember Spore, from a decade ago? That shipped on physical media, yet it only allowed 4 installs from a product key. Ironically, the digital releases are less pozzed by copy-protection.
Legality has never been an issue when it comes to getting your software to run how you want.

Just over the edge of bearable maybe- but the latency from the peripherals, hardware, and monitor adds up. I'll have to admit, not as bad as I thoughtbetter than several seconds- but still enough to impede the experience for a majority of people.

It's weird that I simply disagreed with the idea of desktops in the insanely short amount of time some anons here are claiming and it's resulted in this clusterfuck. I just think we are going to have decent hardware for waaaaay longer than just 5 or 10 years.

Did you write the software?

Hey, having the source available is always the best way- but that hasn't stopped anyone from hacking proprietary software to impressive results before.
Not really my point.

Whether it's your point or not is irrelevant.

Considering these business go balls to the wall with their shitty cloud gaming, we would likely have datacenters near us, in our country or the nearest hippest, most first world country to us (so Germany for Europe, California in the US, etc), so latency would be much inferior to 50ms, which are current ping speeds with people inside your country. All in all very acceptable speeds, if fighting game players (read: pickiest fucks in the gaming sphere) can accept 2 frame delays in their games via GGPO and not complain about it.

However, we are just talking about latencies. The server will have to process your input, and then send you back a high resolution image of the following frame. This won't be done instantly, and you will need a high bandwidth on top of your extremely low latency if you want it to render quickly. For every single player playing at the same time. That just won't work without sci-fi hardware because it is unlikely, not to say downright impossible, that these companies manage to single handedly optimize shit to be processed at 100% the speed of light. So we would be talking about, what, 200ms ping at the very least? Now imagine they are Onlive style, and that game still has to connect to other servers. Ping times over 90ms are basically considered unplayable by most gamers, so go figure.

Apple has decided to kill itself by getting rid of OpenGL. Their support was never good but do they seriously expect people to support Metal?
This guy could fix these stupid problems and they are stupid because all this software runs on the same hardware.

KRITA LEWDS

Apparently not enough.
disgusting

Here you go, you sick fuck:

Attached: 39209a388a67ca383fcda5f37bffb574ab9aa05f7df8fc4f4a96db42abc0771b.png (1243x1500, 745.47K)

like pottery

I mean, saifag may not have intended this, but that technically makes that lewd CC0 too.

Now I unironically want more, in LATEX no less

If he hasn't been run off the internet (again), Saifag takes commissions.

You guys are so degenerate...

Attached: 9f244958e5b207524bac18d84f86f941b7d5049552c5a7497cc7e118db81b3db.png (1250x943, 561.51K)

Tell >>>Zig Forums about it

Ask em about Godot-chan as well

If you had only clicked the picture...

Even extra added 30ms make certain kinds of games (like Quake 3) practically (competitively) unplayable and certainly unenjoyable because your practical playing strength in terms of ELO rating will take a nose dive in hundreds. This extra delay will make your overall reaction time unacceptably low, the tracking will be less accurate, you will suck so much it's not even funny. Even poorly implemented V-Sync is unacceptable, and this shit will produce even greater delay.
For "less realtime" games like HoMM (time is still important but in a different way) it will be just annoying as fuck, if your brain is not similar to that of a Slowpoke.