Windows 10

Since it doesn't have a thread, and it isn't going anywhere, it might as well have one. Haters gtfo.

Attached: windows-10-logo.png (1024x1024, 11.8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/a/1253271/94138
flatpak.org/
github.com/mintty/wsltty
blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/
distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=Not systemd&status=Active#simple
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Has anyone gotten any use out of those Linux distros in Windows store? What do you use them for that you couldn't do with git shell or mingw?

You could at least have done something better with the OP, instead, you proved the retardation of Microshaft users with a one-liner thread.

Attached: truth.png (990x682, 312.57K)

imagine using an OS without a package manager

Why does Windows Update take so long to do everything? I'd swear even Gentoo is faster for routine updates.

It just works. XD

Anything better than Irfanview for picture viewing and light editing? That save file dialog, shit gif animation support and nonexistant svg support are driving me nuts.

Why does MS still have no standardised system for that? Program settings too, they can be all over the fucking place or even in the registry.

If your program doesn't store data in the same directory as the program itself, it's shit.

Jpegview is the best image viewer for windows, bar none. Only thing it can't do are uncompressed full resolution hubble images

Unless OP is on LTSB he sucks cock, as per the usual

fuck off.
>>>/g/
>>>/4chan/

Because windows development is run by a bunch of disorganized teams with conflicting design goals and microsoft has no real leadership to make sure people work in a coordinated manner

It's fucking maddening but once you get used to dealing with regedit and gpedit you'll at least have some degree of control over the system

Otherwise good after a bit of initial tweaking, but no SVG support.

This is unironically a /g/-tier thread

If Micro$oft rove rinux then why does Windows10 nuke Linux boot loaders?

Kys

Windows 10 is a shit. I had made bootable flash drive with it to install on friend's computer and it couldn't haldle USB, then Windows told me to input DVD with drivers, but it didn't work. I had to write on DVD. Wonder why this is still alive - gaymes, corporations?

thats because youre retarded

still win10 utter shit at least use win 7

back to Zig Forums you corporate nigger

I'm not. Wangblows is.
I don't use michaelsoft binbows, because GNU/Linux just works.
Also w7 will reach end of support in 2020, so enjoy your CVE and botnet

Are you even trying, OP? Windows Client has always been a gimped Windows Server!

Everything M$ explained, forever.

as much as i dislike bloatOS it's unavoidable for some things, mainly work. i can give kudos to MS for making it free.

But goy, with VLMCSD KMS server emulator it has always been free! 😄

Open the door
Shit on the floor

Truly a fucking embarrassment of an OS
Linux and BSD are better at this point if it only werent for the Games
Telemetry is implanted in the OS like Borgs are running it
Deep and near impossible to get rid of
Countless issues, like stuttering in games since Creators Update

What are you, a communist? Anyway, game saves should go in ProgramData.

XnViewMP is unquestionably the best.

Can somebody explain to me why my company computer BSODs every time it rains? I shit you not, this happens every fucking time.

Best operating system I've ever used, no joke. Takes about 15 minutes to cleanup the bloatware and telemetry, which is a fraction of the time it takes to solve anything at all on a Linux distro (was an exclusive Debian/Ubuntu/Mint user for almost 8 years). Tons of great features, too. Too many to list. Anyways, haters gonna hate.

Attached: comfy windows.png (1200x756, 548.78K)

You can never disable telemetry. Microsoft logs every single keystroke, you moron.

You can easily configure outbound rules in Windows Firewall to block telemetry and other phone-home services.

superuser.com/a/1253271/94138

Attached: wrong.gif (480x287, 1.21M)

Just wait until they update Windows Firewall so that won't happen 🤔🤔🤔

Linux sucks today, right now.

its the future flatpak.org/

it tries to send the background rain as voice data to microsoft, too much static to package your speech properly

Some of us used to maintain Unix systems in the olden days long before kiddie crutches like package managers existed.

Discussing Linux is off-topic here.

Nice bloat.
Have you tried reading your router logs? or have you even tried reading your resource monitor (resmon)?
Last I checked, a seriously opsec'd windows still leaks using soap protocol or some svchost hidden process. you can put your wall of text firewall config but you can't block the entire ASN of microsoft when they own a huge fraction of the internet. nice try blocking domain names but microsoft will fallback to IP numbers and even if you block them there will be fall back IP numbers and there's like 255xN of them.
you can't touch them even with your shit ass firewall.
you could even run a firewall distro to log all the telemetry going on. it's insane. tried blocking most but then it started connecting to some chink IP and I tried to shodan it -> it fucking points to a microsoft owned IP.
no escaping the master botnet. the only way to make windows work without these telemetry is to plug it in a firewall distro then use whitelist rules to only allow shit you're doing. that's all

You can't block telemetry in a simple way without opening yourself up to getting exploited on outdated software as identifying information gets exchanged when they do updates. But it's not just W10 stealing your data, everyone is. Games especially, they steal huge amounts of information on you, often including what webpages you have open.

You are pretty much me except exclusively Fedora here for many years. Skipped Win8 completely and was liek "that's it for microsoft windows, rip", as simultaneously GNOME and KDE both got really good (before GNOME went to shit) and I didn't need Win7 for anything. Things I miss from Fedora KDE spin are Gwenview, Okular, Spectacle and KColorChooser. Kdenlive for Windows also doesn't work too good, so that also. I should learn how to port thing. Everything else is better on Windows 10 and I legit don't know much of what software there even is for this after so many years off Windows.

The method I linked to doesn't block by IP or hostname. It's basically whitelisting using the built-in firewall. No 3rd party software required.

one day windongs 10 managed to fill (initially reasonably sized) system partition with it's now monthly petabyte-sized service pack files to the point computer started randomly shutting down cuz windongs couldnt normally function with full os partition and, of course, resizing the partition wasn't an option anymore

other day, in middle of the fucking work day, while installing one of the petabyte-sized montly service packs on one of the computers it managed to obliterate it's own bootloader. quality.
and i also love how half of the system settings are reset to default after ('successfully') installing the monthly petabyte-sized service pack.

im on that arch (antergos) shit and just werks for personal use, but have to boot into windongs when have to do any productive /gd/ / web design work (adobe should die already, but that's an another issue).
i use server 2012 r2 if when i need to and don't want to do anything with the rolling-release perpetual-beta-tester nsa/pajeet mystery meat. also, entities that have no option to pirate literary unironically now have to pay 200 american shekels for license of an OS that has ads in it.

Attached: dfl_wp.jpg (2560x1440, 983.22K)

*That is, Whitelisting by application, not by IP.

a thread died for this

Welcome home! If you haven't already discovered it, try Windows Subsystem for Linux. It's basically Linux implemented with native winsys calls. Different Linux distros can be installed from the Windows Store. And here's a really nice terminal for it that can easily be riced: github.com/mintty/wsltty

I noticed, but haven't figured out what exactly I need them for. They seem like a strange middle ground between virtualized systems and what I get from git shell (preconfigured mingw basically).

Not him, but its literally for Windows what WINE is for GNU/Linux, you can run Linux applications native at full speed on Windows and its less of a hack than mingw/Cygwin because it has better bash support and better native apt-get that syncs with Ubuntus repos. It is even possible to run X11 applications natively with any one of the X11 clients that have been available for Windows since forever. Just make sure the X11 client connects to localhost and in Bash export display to 0

Isn't it more like virtualization than Cygwin/mingw? I want Windows utilities that work like Windows utilities, not a light VM.

It's not a VM at all. Its literally a compatibility layer. Native Linux API calls are translated to native Windows API calls on the fly

So I can compile bzip2 against it and run it from within a cmd window?

Yes you absolutely can. I have actually used Windows Subsystems for Linux as a cross compilation environment before for some of my other actual Linux computers

it's the same user trolling this place with oneliner flamewar threads, just like the systemd. From interacting with it, I'm betting it's a low IQ that got triggered by being called a autistic kike or nigger and is now shitting this place up. They should turn on ID's, I bet they don't know how to cycle their IP.

Attached: reeee.png (896x724, 381.58K)

Attached: typical wangblows antivirus in the current decade.webm (480x270, 10.48M)

NTFS has been self defragging since at least Windows 8 with some level of self-defrag as far back as 7.

I don't have any issues with 10 at home since I can rip out most of the shit parts but it's a fucking mess to work with in an office environment. Every goddamn update resets the preferred programs to the shit-ass windows default and when you change them back they even have the gall to ask "YOU SURE BUDDY?? PLZ TRY OUR RETARDED NEW EDGE BROWSER PLEAAAAASE"

Then why are you here OP? You hate yourself most, since you're using a software that "fucks you up".
Are you here just for the (you's)?

Attached: 5eaec4f0dc087402ca77c88c4b76c00fd272c0c44798f20463bbe544e1d0c841.jpg (306x306, 23.74K)

Neat. Me personally still don't have any use for that and I've been learning to git gud with PowerShell out of curiosity (spoiler: still prefer bash). Maybe some day.

A good read about why Windows performance is worse than others:
blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/

How the fuck is this still on page 1?

The system performance is actually slower than w7
It forces updates
Bad everything organization
It nevers shut down anything unless you force it
The computer itself doesnt shut down, like closing a laptop
It has 'apps"
Doing piracy or other modifications is extremely annoying there
Its microsoft edge is like an inferior (((crome)))
All its privacy settings are just placebo
Its office tries to skip to your future movements but is far from accurate
And im sure there is more to complain but i avoid working with that shit as much as possible

You go suck nigger cock somewhere else

>(((U)))EFI
fuck you

>doesn't know the fact that intel wlan/lan cards phone shit to their (((master)))
heh

will you return to somethingresearch newredditfag?
This can be easily proven if you are the moron that user's referring to which still defends (((windows))) to death
Run resmon.
Go to the network tab and see those redacted connections with * * * when you connect to any metered or not internet.
After a while type A LOT of shit and you'll see the bytes/sec increase.
Congratulations you found the keylogger.
Try watching a video, some lucky winfags would notice a 10kB/s which is basically their audio stream and snapshots.
Welcome to Orwellian OS and you are dead.

It is unfortunate that you still have nonfree software in your computer. You need to defenestrate it (which means, either throw Windows out of the computer or throw the computer out of the window).

Attached: 1528105971260.webm (267x339, 3.84M)

Kys

in a way it opposite, since it's now a convoluted mess coming from 30 years of interface design decisions with poor foresight

by this point i can recall every arbitrarily, obscurely placed setting and regkey editing as some sort of holy scripture, but it does not necessary make it 'familiar' or 'intuitive'

they have turned the fairly nice Explorer filemanager UI into a complete clusterfuck after 7 and i found much easier teaching my mother of how to do things in Nautilus on Budgie than begin rationalizing why things are the way they are in Windows on her work computer which immediately seems to give ui-vertigo to someone tech-illiterate

PROTIP: if your mother has trouble understanding ribbon UI which has both icon and text description of what it does, and you have problems with it too, problem is genetic. Seek help in Shibuya splicer dens.

Windows is only good for games. Might as well just install Mint on my non gaming computers.

Mint is systemd botnet

could have something to do that they taught neither English, nor any sort of conceptual base behind current GUIs in 70s - early80s USSR to people who didn't have anything to do with computers..

also, Ribbon is a fucking retarded thing for laying out UI widgets in applications that have FAR less features than an office suite

Attached: overbait.gif (200x200, 81.29K)

hello and sorry to bother you all.

Anyone knows that else one should get besides cortana and extension disabler?

Preparing to install Windows 10 on laptop after windows 7 install and set up made me tear my hair out.

DistroWatch doesn't flag it as having systemd. distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=Not systemd&status=Active#simple

Sandboxie for your web browser. Blacklist all the directories you don't want your browser to be able to read from.

The ribbon is fucking cancer. You know it's bad when not even freetards will rip it off.
Take a moment to look at an example of it closely. Why are some things lightly highlighted and some strongly highlighted? Why is "Brushes" strongly highlighted like an optional selection when there are no options? Why are there dividing lines on some breakouts but not others? Why is "File" in the ribbon tab space but not a tab, why have two separate menu interfaces instead of converting File to the ribbon if it's so good? Why have a third menu interface in the window border and why is undo/redo only accessible there and not the ribbon?
This is art imitating life - we used to make shitty Microsoft UI mockups on Fark and this reminds me of them. /v/'s had the same experience with the 'fingerless glove' UI mockups becoming reality.

Attached: ui cancer.png (840x270, 25.41K)

user...

Attached: libre-office-ribbon-working[1].png (650x300, 89.54K)

It's still in the experimental dumpster, isn't it? Or did they make it mandatory?

Yup this one's a genetic problem!

Who knows, I use vastly superior Microsoft Office 365 instead of that amateur garbage clone. Why don't you try?

Attached: cloud_computing.jpg (960x720, 52.03K)

Everyone do the dinosaur

mostly everyone here have the habit of keeping windongs UI in English due to documentation / more of an ease for problem solving online / Latvian IT terminology and translations on windongs often being ridiculous machine-translated-like clusterfuck. popular linux distros and most of the applications included are translated surprisingly nicely tho.

this. this is what i meant when i said that Ribbon is shit for simple applications. MSPaint Ribbon variant feels hamfisted and awkward to use af. and nobody asked the same to be done with Explorer.

freetard devs are too underfunded to do it right. office, maybe even complex media production applications are where this Ribbon UI language could apply. chinamen did it right by doing 1:1 copy with WPS Office (+ giving some nice, subtle animations here and there), to bad even if it may not be botnet (still proprietary), gaanoo version is more or less abandoned. and i desperately want OneNote.

Why would any sane person promote a shitty proprietary OS that exercises control over its users? Someone help this idiot.

OneNote ships by default in Wn10 and is actually getting axe from Office 365 with MS telling people to use that free OneNote instead.

Besides if you want OneNote, onenote.com is pretty much the Win10 version but in web. It's incredible really how same they look and work.

Yes, let's give all the freedom to a system like Windows, so Microsoft and indie gamedevs can shit on every table they feel like. What are you, an anarchist?

Attached: 84376543579843543.jpeg (800x489, 46.21K)

i know it's being axed and it's sad. it actually stood out as uniquely useful program (especially when 'non-linearly' brainstorming and collecting shit for graphic design projects). besides, windows 10 version is different, less featureful than variant that comes with office

Yeah. I hope MS brings it up to feature parity, it has improved a lot this year alone so I think they will eventually make it as good. Too much of a flagship product along with Office 365 for them to give inch to Google Keep. I don't mind cloud integration since juggling notes between phone and desktop is all I use it for, but having option to go off grid sure would be nice in case something super secret comes up that can't be stored in anything else for some reason.

MS is taking that "intelligent edge" strategy very seriously under Nadella. Latest update notification already told Windows is service, haven't seen that before.

No, you can't. Phone-home reporting of how many times you posted dick pics on halfchan/gayboys/ is hard coded into the kernel. Microshit has a list of about 30 urls and their no doubt owned for all eternity IP addys hard coded, and they point back to their and (((their))) we-see-all, we-own-all servers. Pro tip: They haven;t even been denying this all that hard. Ever since some /ourguy/ recorded the behaviour on his network scanner, and how it was utterly unstoppable from within winblows. So yeah.... it's the most glow in the dark nigger infested piece of software ever rammed up the public's cornhole.

Nope

It would be pretty cool if, when you like or dislike a background photo on the lock screen, it didnt say "this feature will work someday" years later

How do you rice this shit?

The absolute state of Windows

As opposed to Linux putting user configs, caches and everything inside some arbitary folder starting with dot straight under home directory root or even not putting configs into any folder at all. Dot for hidden. Oh wait it's exactly the same if not worse since . designates hidden folder/file in every case EVEN IF YOU DO NOT WANT IT TO BE HIDDEN while in Windows you can toggle any folder visibility. The absolute state of Linux.

Imagine downloading outdated packages from 2011

Imagine using an OS that forcibly downloads and installs updates that you didn't request.

Imagine using an OS nothing supports

Imagine using a computer, with all the problems that would cause