Codec thread: Corrupted segment_ids edition

How in the fug can Jewgle expect their RFOSS codecs to achieve widespread adoption rivaling that of AVC when the AV1 reference encoder runs at the speed of olympic molluscs with a 10% chance of shitting out a valid bitstream?
VP9 so far has only been adopted by Jewtube and the occasional Cambodian stone carving forum while its HEVC adversary is seeing slow but steady adoption by weebs and even hardware manufacturers despite being riddled with royalties and confusing patent licensing schemes.

If you could design your own ideal digital video coding standard regardless of patent/copyright infringement what would you put in it Zig Forums?

Attached: Tokio Funka Gumi.webm (747x420, 15.99M)

Other urls found in this thread:

aomediacodec.github.io/av1-spec/
wiki.webmproject.org/ffmpeg/vp9-encoding-guide
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1. AV1 looks better than h265/HEVC
2. AV1 has more of a sandbox decoder allowing encoding quality to still rise after bitstream freeze (for newly encoded things of course)
3. Hardware support isn't that important with modern powerful processors and will come with the content.
Also wish to remind you that there's an impenetrable wall between nonapplefags and applefags preventing acceptance of things like HEIF, the newest USB alternative, Retina Displays, HiDPI stuff, gay mouses and keyboards with switched ctrl, super, alt keys.
4. h264/AVC is an old pile of shit (the best of it's time tbh) and is just there because otherwise most videos on the internet would need to be reencoded losing quality.
5. It seems to have a lossless encoder
6. There's also an image format based on it (AVIF) which could spread contrary to BPG (based on h265).
7. Most important source of videos today is THE WEBBROWSER and guess how much of this sector runs chromium. Firefox gets it too and the rest simply has to comply.
YES, those stupid cat videos will help AV1 becoming popular!
Yes. It still seems to be unfinished and unfrozen.
Freeze soon™
AV1 when it's finally finished tbqh

This brings up the question: Why bother making something decode fast if most of the load will come from the browser anyway?

It's like how all over the world governments start metropolitan "save water" campaigns during droughts even though big farms generally consume 97% of the water supply of countries self sufficient in farm produce, and shamelessly waste it.

Also contrary to h265 it will be allowed in the WEBM subset of Matroska baking it into the web. Basically it has already won even through it's still unfinished. You may call it an unfair battle but at least the royalty fags didn't win.

AVIF images, "GIFs", TV, phones, ...

Couldn't the same thing be said about VP9?
It's been 6 years since that standard got frozen and retarded bootleg DVB set-top boxes with proprietary firmware have primitive HEVC support but no VP9, same with animu scenegroups.
Unless aomenc pulls an x264 in terms of encoding speed and usability out of its ass in the near future I can't see it becoming widespread much outside of easter island stonemasonry BBSes, Jewtube and a few specialized providers/hosters regardless of consumer hardware decoding support.

But the codec spec is finished, the reference implementation is a massive turd at the moment.
Royaltyfags are busy extending AVC's lifetime to the next dinosaur extinction event anyhow so AV1's royalty free nature alone is far from a guarantee for its success.

Attached: 1454472977279-1.webm (907x480, 5.58M)

I'm yet to see a high quality video encoded with HEVC, videos encoded with it always seen to have visible loses in quality.

Intrigued. Where can I sign up?

You can find it this way >>>Zig Forums

You are the most worthless poster I think I have ever seen. Bitstream is frozen and it still takes a year (not hyperbole) to encode one fucking movie. By the time they have hardware encoders you will have one fucking movie done. It's a secretive house fumigation where nobody was told and everyone is dead inside. There are no survivors. h.266 will be done when av1 is "ready". Absolutely shit.

FUCKING DOGSHIT

Isn't Vulkan/D3D12 supposed to mostly obviate that?

Fractal coding, throw this outmoded macroblock shit in yhe trash. Also, make sure hierarchical bitrate peeling is supported, plus optional lightfield coding is there too.

It's not, it was a PR stunt (and you fell for it).

AV1, ASS, FLAC and Opus are everything one could ever need. Mux them up in mkv or its imouto format webm and good to go.

Everything else is deprecated.

Attached: mio030.png (560x700, 272.83K)

Braindead people first have to stop using GIF for that.
GIF is 30 times less efficient than either VP9 or H.264, yet these fuckers still use it, go figure.

Why do you think Google/YouTube has the ability to transcode every fucking video to VP9, yet it takes literally months to encode any "HD" video with libvpx?
If the format is open, but all the good encoders are not available to the general public, and thus only one company is actually able to reap the benefits of the format, is it worth it? How is it better than H.264, which has x264 which is efficient and free?

That's already happening. For example on Twitter.
NOT BECAUSE THE RETARDS REENCODE IT BUT BECAUSE THE SITES DO IT FOR THE SERVER PERFORMANCE AND FILESIZE

Encode a video in H264 and one in VP9 and tell me which of them looks better at same filesize. Filesize is the reason why we don't just fill a folder with PNGs and FLAC files, all slapped together by XML textfiles standardized by W3-jews!
WTF are you talking about? Takes some hours for a movie but not months.

Would agree if AV1 was finished.

aomediacodec.github.io/av1-spec/
Learn reading instead of repeating announcements we already know about.
see (you did a good job pointing it out)
VP9 changed substantially even after it's "release".
For example the addition of an alpha channel. That's why Chrome was so ahead because Google basically made it while implementing it. It's not better than HVEC but royalty free and better than H264.

wiki.webmproject.org/ffmpeg/vp9-encoding-guide
Here's a guide. Maybe you missed some stuff like how 2 pass works or -threads 8 to make use of your multi core cpu.

Attached: what the fuck am I reading.mp4 (446x469, 413.92K)

It takes 3 hours to encode 3600 frames of 640x480 video at 18 fpm on an FX 8350, and that's with
aomenc --codec=av1 --webm -t 8 --lag-in-frames=25 --end-usage=cbr --target-bitrate=334 --bias-pct=0 --auto-alt-ref=1 --tile-columns=6 --frame-parallel=0 --min-q=0 --max-q=63 --aq-mode=3 --enable-dist-8x8=1 --frame-boost=1 --deltaq-mode=2 --cpu-used=3 --sharpness=7 --sb-size=128 --single-tile-decoding=0 --enable-qm=1 --qm-min=0 --qm-max=15 --limit=3600 -w 640 -h 480 -o "output" "input"
VP9 only took some 40 minutes with
ffmpeg -i "source" -c:v libvpx-vp9 -b:v 334k -speed 0 -lag-in-frames 25 -auto-alt-ref 1 -frame-parallel 0 -tile-columns 6 -row-mt 1 -quality best -sn -ac 2 -y -cpu-used 0 -threads 8 -vf scale=-1:480 -to 00:01:00 -g 9999 -colorspace bt709 -f webm -pass 2 "output.webm"
Meanwhile aomenc --cpu-used=0 encodes at an amazing 4 frames per minute when not crashing due to memory access violations, and --cpu-used=8 looks like trash.
The AV1 webbum is also 500kb larger at 3MB than the VP9 one at 2.5MB.

How is rav1e coming along by the way?

Nice yuv444p format that firecucks can't play.
GAS THE YCbCr COLOR SPACE RGB WAR NOW

Attached: VP9_cpu-used-0.png (1280x720 273.33 KB, 589.75K)

I can play the video in palemoon just fine. Firecucks btfo.

My browser automatically opens videos with mpv.
Browsercucks BTFO.

Attached: Anime Pavel.png (357x408, 244.55K)

Can mpv reliably playback AV1 webms these days?
Would be a nice workaround for the lack of native support in bowsers at the moment it'd also be nice if 8ch would recognize V_AV1 as a valid codec for webbums.

Not all videos are 360p, you know? Try to compare that to playing 1080p60 video (w/o GPU decoding) before spewing retarded bullshit.

Attached: DANK_MEME_10.jpg (398x582, 46.41K)

Can you eleborate on 'automatically'? I use an mpv-youtube-dl binding extension to stream all videos into mpv to. All I have to is right click and select that option.

Attached: mpv.png (1254x576, 587.85K)

Read the post I'm replying to.

Attached: 719b7b96c64743a4f60844c3f1683d665d3c09ae897abb04d991e3602a487ac9.png (349x427, 168.42K)

An the quality is total shit, because 2 generations of different kinds of losses.
They got what they deserved, but still didn't understand a thing.

AND WITH THE SAME AMOUNT OF CPU TIME SPENT
If I try to make libvpx encode with similar speed to x264 -preset slower, the end result is crap, obviously worse than x264.

what kind of a supercomputer are you using?

Install gentoo, I can encode a 3 hour video as webm with 1 core used in 24 hours.

Try AV1 then, this is what I get with 8 cores for trying to encode a 60sec 640x480 video at --cpu-used=0
Pass 2/2 frame 52/33 45000B 1614162 ms 1.93 fpm [ETA 52:08:56] 5F

Attached: __gentoo_penguin_kemono_friends_drawn_by_omnisucker__e17d47185b884bf12987573b6b06cfac.jpg (2539x3194, 455.27K)

You can just tell most browsers to open mp4/webm/whatever files with a program of your choice. I chose mpv.

That's quite retarded, since you must download it in full before viewing it. It's NOT the same as passing the URL to mpv.

If my very rough calculations based upon observing encoder behaviour are correct they're probably not encoding a single 24 minute 24fps video at 640x480 should take approximately 614 hours at the highest quality settings and around 28 hours at medium.
A 720p animu episode (assuming 8 fpm encoding speed at --cpu-used=4) would take approximately 63 hours at medium settings and 1382 hours at the highest quality to encode.
Doesn't seem to be worth it unless they really crank down the output filesize which is kinda bloated at the moment.

Attached: [東方自作アレンジ] sign [原曲:Reincarnation].mp4 (1280x720, 6.83M)

Do you think that h.265 will have support outside of specialized programs by then?

What did he mean by this?

Attached: HEVC adoption.png (1374x811 241.12 KB, 226.13K)

Also anything below --cpu-used=3 looks like this.
Very mature codec if I do say so myself

Attached: AV1_cpu-used-0.png (640x480, 303.99K)

The reason for that is GIF is seen as an image format and not a video format.
Because it's seen as a image format it becomes more portable for normalfags to use.
The only real thing that could replace GIF is Animated pngs, but retards and lazy devs still haven't implemented them properly.

Just ignore faggots who are desperate to fit in.

Also apng isn't a standard and you can't easily tell which png contains apng data.
I hope for AVIF.

In both cases it's a fucking file and it's equally portable.

because it's still shit for video compression (although supporting more than 256 colors)
if one wants to encode a piece of near-photorealistic footage, deliberately throwing 25+ years of progress in video encoding techniques development out of the window is 100% insane.

Here are some more comparison images along with encoding speeds.

cpu-used=0 | 1.33 fpm
cpu-used=1 | 5 fpm
cpu-used=2 | 12 fpm
cpu-used=3 | 18 fpm
cpu-used=4 | 25 fpm
cpu-used=5 | 37 fpm
cpu-used=6 | 33 fpm
cpu-used=7 | 35 fpm
cpu-used=8 | 39 fpm
Output filesizes range from 3103562 bytes at cpu-used-3 to 3223015 bytes at cpu-used 8.
How fast does it encode on a TALOS II?

Attached: AV1_cpu-used-6.png (640x480 285.33 KB, 282.05K)

Attached: AV1_cpu-used-8.png (640x480 292.78 KB, 285.55K)

>>>/bog/

Could a full VP9 decoder or encoder (like in the Kaby Lake iGPUs) work as a hybrid AV1 decoder/encoder with a software update (like the VP9 decoder/encoder in the Skylake iGPUs)?

cpu-used 0 in VP9 is for extreme qualityfags only. 1 is a lot faster with only slightly lower quality, while everything above 1 is inefficient (should just go ahead and use x264 instead if you were going to use a cpu-used value above 1)

A partial HW decoder via software update might be possible as AV1 is sort of an extended fork of VP9, but any sort of quarter-decent AV1 HW encoding will definitely require a custom ASIC.
Judging by how unreliable the current reference decoder/encoder are we're probably at least 2-3 years from these sorts of thingsgiving MPEG and friends more time to sort out their patented HEVC licensing faggotry.**

Try opening a h.265 video with a browser (like most non-Zig Forumsfags would).

What kind of outdated piece of shit are you running that can't even render the up/down symbols?

he's blocking fonts