Routers as computers

Recently found a WRT54G at a local goodwill and I thought to myself why these aren't used as actual devices? People love to install openWRT and ssh into them. Why hasn't anyone try to interface them with some bitmap graphics terminal with them like the Blit originally was and use it as a tiny computer? They're essentially SBCs with decent enough MIPS/ARM chips in them.
I can't help, but get rock on for these routers. I really like the blue aesthetic.

Attached: 1024px-Linksys-Wireless-G-Router.jpg (1024x878, 82.25K)

they're ancient and slow even for routers. you won't even be satisfied running a server on them, let alone use them as a client.
get a thinkpad, an old tower or an arm soc.

If it can run doom, it has use.

Dude, you don't get it. All tech that is more than 2 years old, you have to throw it away. They don't serve any use anymore. What can you do on a computer that is 2 years old that you can't do on a brand new one today? Nothing. That's why you have to throw away the old tech, spend your money on the new tech, and fill up those land fills.

An Altair with hardcopy terminal can run Doom.

Attached: Doom.png (520x540, 72.95K)

go ahead and run gentoo on your 90s router, but you can also get used hardware at that price that's actually suited to your demands.

Why not put pfsense on an old computer and use it as a computer?

What's the logo gonna be? On this topic, I wonder how much of a computer you can make out of an LCD screen if anything. They seem to have RAM and some type of software processing capabilities.

yeah okay i better buy whatever monstrosity of routers they rolled out last year with Debian in a VM in Windows 10

Zig Forums, is the OpenWRT meme worth it? Does anyone have any experience?

Maybe if you "use" windows, but with GNU/Linux you can resurect really old hardware, i.e. 20 years old ThinkPad

It is if the manufacturer is no longer supporting the hardware.

It's not that you're "resurect"-ing old hardware so much as you're simply switching to an operating that doesn't purposely lobotomize their old hardware, which GNU is known for but doesn't have a monopoly on that freedom.

I want to block domains on the DNS level. My current router doesn't support that, so I want to buy a new one, and if it gives me the opportunity to learn something new while I'm at it, that would be nice.

What's the difference between Pfsense and OpenWRT?

pfSense is FreeBSD based while OpenWRT is Linux based. Beside that I don't know much.

Also pfSense is only for x86 while OpenWRT has a range of downloads for different routers.

It's miles better than any stock firmware for sure. Just the GUI itself beats the crap out of typical your shitty stock GUIs in features.
You can schedule tasks (cron), set up traffic shaping (tc careful tho, there's very little documentation), actually configure your firewall (iptables), do without UPnP (insecure piece of shit), set up VLANs, set up SSH tunnels, set up Wake on Lan, etc. You know, pretty much anything that you can do on a Lunix box.

OpenWRT is miles ahead of any manufacturer firmware out there.
Performance, security, features. Everything is better.

First used it 9 years ago. Have used it exclusively on all my routers/devices ever since. Currently have 7 active devices running it. I won't consider buying hardware without first checking support.

Quite simply, it's a fully open, ultra lightweight Linux + Busybox distribution that enables total control of your hardware, and can be customized to your heart's content. You can even re-purpose things for totally different applications, like how I recently network enabled a USB printer using a "travel router" as a print server. Manufacturer's firmwares are generally pitiful and should be assumed to be botnet.

Attached: TEW-714TRU_d01_2.jpg (400x400, 13.43K)

pf is obsd

🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴
🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴
🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴
🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴
🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴
⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪
⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪
⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪
⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪
🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴
🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴
🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴
🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴
🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴

dont you have some more aggregate D to stimulate, keynes you homo

🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴

🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴

🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴

🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴

🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴

⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪

⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪

⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪

⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫

⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪

⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪

⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪

🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴

🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴

🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴

🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴

🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴

🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴
🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴
🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴
🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴
🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴
⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪
⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪
⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪
⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫
⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪
⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚪
⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪
🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴
🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴
🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚫⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴
🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚫⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴
🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪🔴🔴🔴🔴🔴

you can configure a complete MTU with PFsense and have an IDS that will black-list CIAnigger amazon IPs trying to root your shit. It can also scan HTTP downloads for viruses.

Attached: 2018-06-16-004658_943x169_scrot.png (943x169, 25.86K)

RICHIE NO LIKE FORCED OBSOLETION

Attached: 1515756383116.png (679x693, 253.89K)

That's just sad. Should look like this:

| | |\ -~ / \ / ||~~__ | \ | \/ /\ /|| -- | \ | / \ / \ / || |~_| \ \___|/ \/ / ||--__ | -- |\________________________________/~~\~~| / \ / \ || |~~--__ |~_|____|____|____|____|____|____|/ / \/|\ / \/ \/|| | |~--_|__|____|____|____|____|____|_/ /| |/ \ / \ / ||___|______|__|_||____|____|____|____|____|__[]/_|----| \/ \ / || \mmmm : | _|___|____|____|____|____|____|___| /\| / \ / \ || B :_--~~ |_|____|____|____|____|____|____| | |\/ \ / \ || __--P : | / / / | \ / \ /\||~~ | : | / ~~~ | \ / \ / || | |/ .-. | /\ \ / || | / | | |/ \ /\ || | / | | -_ \ / \ |+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+| | /| | | 2 3 4 | /~~~~~\ | /| |_| .... ......... || | ~|~ | % | | | ~J~ | | ~|~ % |_| .... ......... || AMMO | HEALTH | 5 6 7 | \===/ | ARMOR |#| .... ......... |+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Can you retards at least present valid arguments instead of shitty mspaint.exe 2011 memes?

I'd rather some low res static graphics, if system is capable of graphics. Either way text adventure/RPG > FPS.

Attached: 3.png (384x272, 8.83K)

What sites do you have to visit to catch linux variants of the mirai botnet?

Attached: 1489284942.jpg (720x544, 69.3K)

Pic related was released on SymbianOS in 2005 and is turn based. No idea how you'd efficiently get graphical output from a linksys even if you did decompile and port it.

Attached: DOOM_RPG.gif (176x208, 830.63K)

What an adventure. After getting another WRT54g that's compatible with OpenWRT, I installed it. Fascinated at first, I tried setting up a wifi bridge with a second router. Needless to say, it failed and I couldn't log back in. I had to set up failsafe mode to reset the configuration and now it's working fine.

Lack of RAM and a sane way to attach video output makes them pretty useless for that.

Use a SPI serial based TFT screen.
All you have to do is to tell where to draw.

Being able to sell GPL software to anyone but large corporations that pay big money for support isn't exactly viable, since the average user will just download it for free.

If you believe there is only one way to profit selling free software, then you'd be right. In reality, there are many ways to sell free software that doesn't care about "average users downloading for free".

I wonder who could be behind this post

I did. back in September 2006, I converted an OpenWRT install into a full Debian distro (after installing the SD Card on GPIO hack), and ran VNC on it.

Attached: wrt54gl.jpg (749x600, 140.03K)

that's hardly sane

You're lost. Here's directions:
>>>/g/
SPI or I2C is Zig Forums

They all hanged themselves after waiting 5 hours for Quake to display a single frame. Just as death took them, they cursed Carmack to never write a decent game again. Romero tried, but the curse rubbed off on him and that's why Daikatana was so terrible.

Since the WRT54G has an internal GPIO like what said, it's possible just to run it on an 8-bit bus.

who thought this would be a good idea, hmm?
Sounds like NOSence x-D

I pray to God that this is bait

how to patch these little blue shits against key reinstallation attack?