Building a PC

I am in the selection process of building a gaming PC running ArchLinux (or maybe Gentoo) and ReactOS (or maybe Win7).

Attached is the part list. I am completely inexperienced in PC building and am looking for discrepancies and incompatibilities. Furthermore, are any of these considered good by today's standards and in the ~4 months when I can buy all of the parts needed. The RAM is excepted bc I need to keep the price below $2k

> pcpartpicker.com/list/zPNxfH

pic unrelated but that doesn't make it false

Attached: maymay.png (680x471, 99.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/H2kH3b
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Install Gentoo

That motherboard bottlenecks your memory speed. Not a big problem for most people, but considering how much money you're already throwing at this thing, you should make sure to check out the support page for the motherboard to find out what memory it best supports (trust me I spent a lot of money on a build just to find out I picked shit memory for my motherboard). Also, just get multiple memory sticks that are already bundled together. paying $80 each for 8GB at 2400Mhz speed at best on your mobo is a fucking rip.

Also, wtf OP? two blu-ray drives? Do you need to watch two hard disk movies at once or some shit? Just get one you gluttonous pig unless you're running some kind of bootleg op, then just get a fucking dedicated burning machine.

AND TWO WIFI ADAPTERS? I barely use the one I have on my tower, since, you know, it kind of stays firmly in place since it's not great for toting around. Just get one, and honestly you barely need it because if you want a good stable connection you should be on ethernet anyway.

With the money you save on dropping your redundant parts, consider getting a display with 144hz and 1ms response time and have GSync. You may even want to consider dropping to 1080p if price suddenly became an issue because at that size from the distance you'd normally sit from a monitor you can barely spot the difference. It's more important to have smoother frame rates and limit screen tearing. Color is also important, but good luck getting reliable specs on that short of walking into a store that has this very specific criteria monitor on a shelf.

For headphones, those look like shit for $170. Consider some AKG or other studio or gaming brand cans that will fit over your ears and be comfortable to wear for long times instead of folding up for traveling, which, again, you shouldn't be planning to travel with a tower. There are plenty of good gaming laptops that are cheaper than this atrocity if you are planning to.

By the way, if you're getting this for gaming, you may want to go for a strong quad-core CPU since a lot of games out there still expect you to have low-mid rate CPUs and don't really code for anything over quad.

Finally, maybe a keyboard will be good to get? I also always recommend getting a second screen. It's just a nice luxury for so many applications.

It's an obvious troll or fucking retard.

I can't ever be sure. There are too many people that are willing to drop a shit ton of cash on their first build without knowing what the fuck they are doing because 'I gotta look cool to the internet people'

shit did I put in 2 wifi adapters by accident? ignore that
and the case has 4 bays, I may as well use them. its not just bluray

yeah, pretty much me

oh and I already have a good keyboard. don't need a new one. Fixed link with criticism in mind coming up

Don't
It's all camped
Use smoke signals or hand gestures

wat

UPDATED LIST WITH RESPONSES IN MIND, I AM WARE I AM A DUMBSHIT WITH NO EXPERIENCE. THANK YOU Zig Forums.
> pcpartpicker.com/list/H2kH3b

continuing to accept responses, but be sure to use THIS link

Don't build a pc. All the parts are compromised. Chips. Wires. CD-ROM drives all of it

r/StallmanWasRight ?

Do they claim it has "zero latency" or something? Just get a PS/2 mouse from a recycling center, that'll give you the same thing.

Get a generic Microsoft mouse. They're actually the best. Gaming mice are worse in my experience.
Keyboards on the otherhand are worth spending more on to get mechanical.

already have a mech keyboard. It's very nice.

Looks better. You'll also want to consider a cheap SSD or M.2 to boot your OS off of if you don't want it to feel like 2005.

Also, seriously consider getting a quad core. Barely anybody needs more than quad core unless you're into high-end rendering or specialized tasking and it can take away from individual core performance, meaning games and some commercial software will run shittier when you have more cores. If you are doing VMing and more specialized tasks, tho, it is totally acceptable.

For CPU, will probably take up more advanced tasks in the future as my obsession with GNU grows, and I want to have the power for it. I'll make a new thread in a few days after refining the list more. I will look into SSD. Thanks for making my list not as bad lol

Little low for some applications.

the list on top is obsolete. The new one is inside the thread.

He's going to want them cores if it's Gentoo.

>>>/g/

Seriously, if you lurked long enough you'd know practically everything x86 post-2008 is pozzed beyond repair. Stick to Core2Duo+Libreboot or fork over a few grand for a Talos II

There's a sticky that is exactly for this. Why post in Zig Forums anyway?, did reddit not want to help you.