Word Processing OS's

. Does anyone have any experience with installing word processing software that automatically boots up to the actual software rather than a 'traditional' gui?
. I would like to start writing again and having all those distractions takes away from my writing.
. The only other option is to use an electric typewriter, but it's difficult to make changes once it is typed out onto paper.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1920x1929, 3.68M)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/utf-8_history
pcworld.com/article/259236/how_to_turn_your_laptop_into_a_typewriter.html
hooktube.com/kR0K4zBsrpY
palmermethod.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Act like a fucking adult and exercise some self control.

You could just uninstall everything and delete all files that are unrelated to your writing or whatever.

In my experience, it's preferable to just use a distro that doesn't ship with a desktop (Arch, Gentoo).
In the former, you can just type "systemctl --user enable vim" to get what you want if you really, really need it

Use a Window manager in which GUI can be removed. I recommend xmonad since it has no gui out of the box.

Attached: 447c85de938d0e4697928926a6e820760a0918250a45528372b4f9337777fdc2.gif (500x281, 2.65M)

Are you mentally deficient?

Some people seriously lack self control. Seems like some people are just born without it, at that point you just have to work around it.

Are you high?

disconnect from the internet

The op wants to get rid of distractons. He does not seem like a minimalist looking to dump X or whatever.

Attached: 1523214920432.jpg (495x600, 242.19K)

Good idea. He could take it further and remove basic networking tools from his system if necessary.

His first course of action should be to dump unicode.

There is nothing wrong with Unicode. There are several things wrong with UTF-8 and ASCII, though.

Something along the lines of 8-bit ascii with less control characters and support for some other european letters would be optimal.

You are an absolute fucking a-grade thick as shit brainlet if you have a problem with Unicode. "Unicode" isn't even really a thing. You're just bandwagoning on the newest stupid Zig Forums meme, jerking off to Terry Davis quotes and not writing a line of code for lack of ability.

doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/utf-8_history

>install gentoo or arch
Let's face it, if you had a standard window manager set up with libreoffice as a start up program, you'd just close out of it and open up firefox. The only real option is to have a machine with literally nothing fun or pretty installed on it in the first place.

sudo apt remove * -y && sudo apt install gedit -y

Alphasmart did products like you're asking for over a decade ago. To transfer their content, they behaved like a USB keyboard.

Attached: My New Alphasmart Neo 1803528152 .jpg (1548x1096, 1.18M)

Or just hold down Ctrl-Alt-F1 and return to the text console.

I used to use bank street writer a long time ago back when all ports of it were boot to run. I'd not recommend it.
If you're having trouble with distractions, delete internet. Works wonders.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 254.68K)

Op here
This is looking like the most common sense option.
Too bad there isn't a distro out (yet) that does specifically what you described, but there may be if I look on some more writer forums.
Phoneposting right now, so I'll have to get back.
Picking up a Dell Optiplex 790 today for $100.00, will take out the windows HDD, put in an SSD, then install...one or the other.

see a counsellor - PEBCAK

I only suggested it because it's what I want to do myself. Apparently there's also a cli text editor called Word Grinder if you want to try that instead of a text editor.

*cli word processor

That's why you do multiple revisions.

i accidentally did this once and i could not get them back because i had no internet

so am i cool for using atom editor with UTF-8

that won't start it on login, it will start every time you run bash

you could use emacs as a windowmanager. no, this is not a joke.

We had those at my workplace until last year. Pretty neat.

This. Then you just open nano or pico and start typing.

Lmao why the fuck would i want my character encoding to support chinkspeak.

I'm not entirely sure since my experience with OS is limited outside Windows.
But I believe the customization offered by Linux may be able to provide you the means to build something like that.

I guess you should start with a minimalist distro and then configure it to automatically launch a Word processing software.
I can't really tell you how to do this, sorry.
This may sound abstract, but I'm convinced that a such thing is possible. Check the Archlinux wiki and related sources.

If you are on Windows, I guess you could use Powershell or some script to do the same thing, but I'm not sure what to do about the GUI then. I think the Windows GUI is kind of "Modifiable" but I'm not sure to what extent or how it is done.

But if distractions are really a problem for you, then unistall all the programs you don't need, just keep a Word Processing software, and turn off your internet connection, I guess.

Hope this will help user.

Word processors are the actual distraction.
Write everything from console text editor in LaTeX.

This was interesting - -

>How to Turn Your Laptop Into a Typewriter

>Download Ubuntu Server

more at...

pcworld.com/article/259236/how_to_turn_your_laptop_into_a_typewriter.html

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (304x92, 10.03K)

just boot straight into emacs

This is an interesting guide, and I think it's about as close as anything will get to what OP wants.

But I've never understood people who think things like this will solve their self-control issues. If you can't stop shitposting and get to work on a regular computer, what will keep you from closing the lid on your "Ubuntu typewriter laptop" and firing up your other computer for dem (you)s?

I could see getting dropped off at a remote cabin with one of these being effective, though, if the only alternative to writing were staring at the cabin walls or counting trees.

Attached: o_terminator virus.mp4 (1280x720, 1004.99K)

Be like the Game of Throne guy, set up a DOS machine and find a DOS text editor or word processor you like.

Just edit your i3 to start vim on boot or something, it's that easy.

Why don't you want to kill yourself.

Attached: 2f5b75403b9868499cf5ad9fbf0a9681fb566148a354df1f45993d03d5e758f8.jpg (240x210, 7.89K)

Make yourself a slackware installation that only has the barebones + LaTeX + vim.

I'd say pick something that's never going to break (Debian, Slackware, something like that), and either use wordgrinder (tui word processor), or go for a LaTeX setup. Use LaTeX plus vim/emacs/nano or whatever plus a tiling window manager of your choice (so you can easily have the windows open you need without having to alt-tab all the time), and then actually probably evince as the pdf viewer because it'll automatically show changes when you recompile without having to close and open the program. After you have your programs, disconnect from the internet and go to town.

Better to write in markdown/rst and then convert to LaTeX/ODT/whatever later.

The best solution.

rm /sbin/initln -s /usr/bin/emacs /sbin/init

If you don't install X then you will run bash immediately upon login, numbnuts.

I don't mean to ruin this perfectly good shitshow with a correct answer, but if you install whatever minimal linux install you want, and then install libreoffice and xorg, you can run startx with the argument of the full path to libreoffice writer and it will open just libreoffice in full screen with no underlying window manager.

Have you seen niggers??

Attached: 7f11db618059ee2d199244931d3e597a93e833ba8b6e0ebd537cfa59094d732a-pol.jpg (179x257, 13.09K)

Get a monochrome Apple computer (I'm taking SE/30 or older) and put a word processor on it. No distractions - the software won't support anything, and the hardware couldn't run it if it did.
Plus System 6 is comfy af.

Use a bare X setup, and in your .config/autostart, put libreoffice.desktop or an equivalent file.

Take the WYSIWYG pill.

SE/30s booted in like 3-4 seconds.

They did have MacTCP, though.

Might as well just use a typewriter at that point.

hooktube.com/kR0K4zBsrpY

Typewriters are only useful for writing novel drafts, or short notes. For that, you might as well use a pen and paper :^)
The moment you want to do something more advanced, a computer with a text processor becomes inevitable (proper text formatting was done by trained professionals up until the 80's).

Mac OS 6 or 7 with MacWrite running in Mini vMac. It's a nice singletasking OS that you can use for very basic word processing without using the shit-tier old Macintosh toasters and without ditching your main OS and computer. It's an extremely fast emulator as well, and even running it on a 1GHz Core2 piece of shit will outperform the original Macintoshes many times over.

You could also try FreeDOS with OpenGEM as a very minimal GUI. I was about to take a peek at this myself to see if it'll run on one of my ancient laptops. FreeDOS will run just about any MS-DOS program out there, and OpenGEM offers stuff like file management applications and other stuff.

Attached: ogemdesk.png (642x482, 6.08K)

You don't even need a GUI, the 4DOS shell is very comfy, and Norton Commander (or one of its clones) is plenty enough for file management. For word processors, there's Wordstar like mentions, but that's far from the only choice.

Attached: 50-593eb87042c33841be25a653fee3696f-WordStar 5.0.png (720x400, 7.18K)

Pirate scrivener and take your device out into nature with internet turned off. It's the comfiest for long form writing.

Attached: 2349340j2920j.jpg (2024x981, 376.49K)

hi joe

if you want to do this on a lower level, get a statically linked editor and replace init

better to use emacs mini instead of emacs server, since for op's purposes it'll probably be about the same

really? how about a pencil and paper?

For my part, I have shitty handwriting. There's a reasonable chance that I won't be able to read what I wrote one month later. If I wanted to make my handwriting neat, I'd have to expend thought and effort on each letter, which would constantly interrupt my train of thought for writing. Also, you'd still have to transcribe the handwriting to text before you submit it to a publisher, and that would be a task I'd be even more easily distracted from than the writing itself.

palmermethod.com/
Train yourself in efficient handwriting and use OCR.

I have Lubuntu booting up and then autostarting into FocusWriter
-turn computer on, then it goes straight into focuswriter