/hsg/ - Home server general

/hsg/ - Home server general

Discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it. This is all about taking control over your own services. Not leaving things up to some weird company that doesn't have your best interests at heart.

[I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?]
RPi3, Asus Tinker or Odroid XU4/HC1.

Are you interested in learning GNU+Linux or BSD administration and configuration better? Becoming a openrc expert? want a cozy little BSD machine to run services on and interact with. Or practice more advanced and complicated networking setups.

[News]
entertainment.slashdot.org/story/18/06/13/0059208/the-internet-is-finally-going-to-be-bigger-than-tv-worldwide
tech.slashdot.org/story/18/06/12/1924209/internet-luminaries-urge-eu-to-kill-off-automated-copyright-filter-proposal
Gentoo hacked archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-announce/message/dc23d48d2258e1ed91599a8091167002

[Chat] using libre clients only
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_

Attached: 1522222272517.jpg (1488x1488, 610.22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cipherdyne.org/fwknop/docs/SPA.html
cipherdyne.org/fwknop/docs/fwknop-tutorial.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I made the mistake of joining it... it's apparently a cuckchan channel.
I let you imagine the quality of the discussions.

What is the rational for having a server that is weaker than your desktop?
Is it just a NAS? Because when I think of servers, I think either for storage or computation.
In the latter case, the idea is to have some very beefy, mutlicore setup with >64GB of RAM that would be unwieldy in a desktop and impossible in a laptop.

Halfchan thread. Hide and ignore.

Let's make a new one. I'm not a huge fan of Matrix.

None of them, they are all botnet.
It's botnet use librecmc.

Why would you consider OpenRC >>>/botnet/ and what would make you think that LibreCMC is a replacement for it?

Whats a not botnet sbc you recommend?

I'm not sure you understand what a server is. There's lots of reasons why a server wouldn't need to be as powerful as a desktop.

Couldn't you run whatever service your low-power server is meant to run as a service on your desktop?
Is it just to save electricity?

>Why would you consider OpenRC >>>/botnet/
Binary blobs.
No binary blobs.

The only that I know of is the libretea from the eoma68 project.

Can't say for him, but low-power servers are (or can be) noiseless, you can sleep right next to them and not notice (if you turn off the retarded LEDs), and if you use Windows too on the desktop you can keep downloading hentai while you play vidya without having to figure out a way to make both deal with it.

using sbc as server is gay af faggot setup a desktop as a dedicated server or invest in a beefy rack system depending on your needs if youre not a poofag

Whats wrong with s6 init?

SBCs are literally LARP machines user. Now people like OP can play pretend server admin, its actually kind of cute

All computers are botnet. Use babbage machines.

Does anyone here have experience with single packet authorization? I've been thinking about making my server available over the internet but concern about security always stopped me. With SPA, I could make my server ignore all communications unless I send a signed packet to it. Server will verify the signature and authorize connections from my specific IP only. This authentication happens before any connections are ever established; to the unauthorized observer, it looks like there's no server up at all.

cipherdyne.org/fwknop/docs/SPA.html
cipherdyne.org/fwknop/docs/fwknop-tutorial.html

What do you guys think?

SBCs are the 'Tiny House' of servers. Don't be talked into cucking yourself by people who hate you.

For most of your needs, unless you have gigabit internet to your house, you'll be better off with a VPS. It's critical for a proper server to have excellent connectivity and you aren't getting that with 1Mbit upload and colocation is expensive. I'd not do local NAS today if you have a good connection, but if you're a Pajeet, an old desktop or eBay/donated desktop as a dedicated NAS device running one of the open sores NAS projects is fine, just be sure it has redundant drives. Avoid 'real' (rackmount) server hardware as they're very loud and bulky.

Attached: sjw_pi.png (592x241, 43.33K)

I think the cipherdyne people are assholes who hate freedom. Their website blocks Tor users from even viewing it.

OpenRC is a sysinit, what binary blobs?
It's even FLOSS, for God's sake.
How is LibreCMC related to OpenRC?
I think you're confusing OpenWRT with OpenRC, but you're too much of a larper to be aware of the difference.

Pointless level of meme security. If you really want to do something like that, just do port knocking. It's simpler as you don't need any tools to authorize yourself and just as secure if you load up and memorize a few OTPs for the rare occasions you need to authorize a new box.

Almost nobody needs a VPS for personal or hobby use cases. It's just a waste of money, and also removes some control and puts it into the hands of a 3rd party.

SBCs don't use x86 which was literally built by Israel to torture whites.

I want to set up a music streamer so I can free up the disk space on my work laptop. Is AirSonic a botnet or should I use something else like Ampache?

Just use icecast like any sane person.

Doesn't icecast function more like radio where you can't pause it or select songs? I don't really want that.

I had one of these cheap Linux-based NAS devices by Netgear. For a hundred and fifty bucks, you can't go wrong. I love their UI, it makes everything so easy, and I could also SSH into it when needed.

I ended up giving it away to my parents and building a full fledged homelab server in an e-ATX case with a couple of beefy Xeons (right before all those security holes came to light... sigh). I put a lot of effort into making it as quiet as possible; it's literally quieter than my laptop unless I'm running heavy workloads. I use Proxmox and ZFS on Linux as a monolithic solution for everything. It's nice to have the computing power but I do miss the tiny little power efficient dedicated Netgear NAS.

Attached: 413THOU3z7L.jpg (484x500, 21.67K)

Everyone who programs should have a real server for personal use.
They're about the same cost as maintaining the equivalent yourself. Realistically, people aren't going to properly handle RAID and offsite backups themselves anyway.
Modern VPSes give full control.
We're already in the hands of a 3rd party, our hardware is backdoored by Israel.

Oh, yeah? You have "full control" over OpenVZ?
Anyone who does system programming can shit over VPSs as they run Linux 2.x, which handicappes the syscalls available.

Then mpd.

Do you even stream music from your home server?

ARM also has an R&D center in Israel

My homeserver is beautiful, right now it just does video/music streaming over samba and VPN for remote connections, DHCP and DNS for a few internal things i'm working on, testing for a few mesh networking protocols, and routing/proxies to reach a few darknets

Back to /g/, retard. Your generals don't belong here.

Why the new domain, and when is the site gonna look good again?

New domain is shorter. The mainframe was purged because some retard leaked ssh keys, and we didn't archive the old website.

Actually that wasn't the reason. Public keys (OMG) were leaked, but I'm not particularly afraid of people giving us SSH access to their server.. Nah, we just said "fuck it, we're starting over."
I kind of want to run at least a Tor node on the machine, though I don't know how much bandwidth it will consume.

Is freeNAS the only choice for a quick to set up nas os or is their something more userfriendly that I can deploy for tech illiterate people who want to use an old computer as a media server

Any idea what cases have the best size to HDD bay ratios? If I'm going to be building myself a NAS system, I want it to have as much storage as possible. MicroATX or ITX would be preferable, but it's harder to find cheap used boards with enough SATA/IDE ports onboard. Though I guess I could just fill the PCI or PCI-E slots with controller cards if I really need to.

Ironic that the tripfag says this, given that cuckchan /g/ is infested with tripfags such as himself. Quite hypocritical as well. by the way, these general threads predate your first posts on this site. don't let the door hit you on the way out, refugee

Unfortunately, I can. Cuckchanners have been plaguing this board since January/February.

Attached: 47d724800334e1a189732bb625ebf8714d7e5f8f682455ba79e3e8473806508d.png (2723x3133, 932.02K)

The quality of everything 4chan is much higher than that of here. The only reason I'm not there is because of the Google buttnut

Just buy an iPhone and hit reddit, you can't even be posers correctly.

In this same vein I have to say that I've been in love with my Synology NAS for years. I bought the DS213j when it was being discontinued and haven't regretted it for a second. Excellent software and has only gone down for update-related reboots and power outages.

Attached: 36618918_10157666181582796_4157913115763146752_n.jpg (960x940, 117.2K)

We gave www group access to some retard new KKK memeber, so it was a conscious decision. I'm a proud owner of an iPhone, thank you.

So I taught myself how to get some server stuff up and running on an old secondary desktop running Linux Mint. It works fine for my purposes at the moment, but I'd like to move all my server stuff to some cheap, low power hardware that can stay on all the time and run a Ubuntu headless server. My intention is just to install LAMP and set everything up "correctly" from scratch and transfer current server content over to it. Ubuntu server with Apache for web pages and UnrealIRC for an IRC client. I also have SSL enabled, as I'm running my own domain for that extra layer of security. Does anyone have any advice for hardware and extra software steps I can take to keep things under control or make working with a terminal server a bit less daunting? It'd be nice if I can access it from any other computer on the local network and interface with it that way without having to directly hook a monitor and keyboard up, aside from the initial setup.
I've been looking at Mini PCs for hardware, because I'm explicitly trying to have something low on power consumption and that I can grab and go pretty fast if I ever have to. I'm considering a barebones with the intention of getting 4GB of RAM total and a SSD (don't know how much is good, but the more the merrier) for less noise and moving parts, and again, installing Ubuntu Server instead of having to wrestle to wipe over Windows 10, which a lot of cheap premade Mini PCs come with. The Shuttle XPC Slim models are tempting, but I'm still looking around and open to suggestions if more savvy anons can chime in on this.
For extra info, this server isn't gonna be serving a lot of users. It's primarily a cloud for me and some friends who are working on a project, and I wanted to keep all our project information under my control instead of on external servers, paid or free. I'd been hosting on non-standard ports and learning permissions and running server hosts as different users, but I'm still learning this stuff a bit.
Also, anyone know a good way to save some shekkels when buying this stuff? NewEgg seems to have lots of deals and I usually see them being cited as an alright spot to grab electronics.

Attached: 56-101-184-V01.jpg (640x480, 15.05K)

just buy a shit computer from Craigslist it will be way more powerful then some shit arm shit

Is having NAS and HTPC + console emulator combo a dumb or wise idea?
Let's say I pick a recent Atom (Goldmont Plus) board with 10-bit HEVC support and enough SATA ports, ram it into mini ITX case, put drives in and plug it into a receiver and a TV. Worth a shot?

He wants a low power system, not a cheap system.

Do people have to get your approval before they call it real programming, too?

Running a NAS doesn't use many resources, especially if it's just you using it

It depends. Running ZFS requires lots of RAM and processor resources.

Will there be any power bill benefit, depends on your electricity prices. A really cheap old computer can have the same operational cost as an expensive low-power system for a certain expected lifetime.

I have a home server running a ga,e but it's a rudimentary setup salvaged from a gaymen pc. I plan on buying a tower from a brandname. Any suggestions? I'm thinking supermicro

Say I have a 32 bit 1.8ghz single core x86 computer with 1536MB of RAM, plenty of sata ports and a random network card.
Will I run into performance troubles if I turn it into a generic home server?
I want it to run some network storage, persistent irc, handle wake-on-lan, torrents, serve media locally and maybe other random home usage things that come up.
What distro should it run? I'm thinking Devuan.

You'd be better of getting a pi

Anything compact is overpriced.
At the same price as those 8-port mini-itx nas cases you can grab a 24-bay rackmount motherfucker.
Alternatively, I would cheap it out and buy an 11-bay mid tower.

you'll be fine, devuan is a gr8 choice but you may want to consider running a hypervisor and run each service in a container, for security/redundancy. But I suggest to get more ram, use up that 4GB cap you got.

Not sure if I could've built something like these cheaper myself. Got a good deal on it. Just installing FreeNAS should be a pretty easy and idiot proof way to get it working for whatever you want - but where's the fun in that? Also ZFS is amazing.

Attached: HPE-ProLiant-MicroServer-Gen10-Front-Labeled.jpg (6016x4000 63.72 KB, 9.12M)

The issue with FreeNAS is that it runs FreeBSD. It's so SJW they've undone any advantage FreeBSD had over other operating systems.

So you're putting aside the technical merits of the system for ideology? Now, where have I head that the last time?
Not saying this faggotry is okay, but completely putting aside a perfectly fine system because of that is stupid too.
Now that's just bullshit and you're well aware of that

Don't do this.
The thing is that any sane man can't contribute to this turd; but when you use something for real, you'll have to contribute in some ways (bug reports, maybe some new/updated ports).

I use it to host a website that sells pokemon cards. that's about it.

Attached: serverspecs.png (1024x768 8.32 KB, 974.07K)

Install Devuan
Install zsh

why, I barely see the advantage on desktop
ehh, sure why not but mind you devuan is just a leech at this point and thus should not be supported (unless they do their own infrastructure). Install alpine or gentoo instead. Alpine is a really good distro, even on a laptop (which caught me off-guard) and well gentoo is the king of all distros.

t. new to this thread

Yeah you generally can get away with more niche distros on a server because it's generally the desktop programs written by pajeets that don't play well with the stuff they have. The server oriented part of the linux ecosystem generally does well because server people are on it.

Gentoo on a server is too much maintenance and chance of breakage even on stable, whereas devuan is debian without systemd-i-a-niggers.
Alpine might be a good choice I haven't actually tried it to tell.

So they guarantee that they won't delete my collection of rare Adolfs and lolis, even when I'm distributing them?
Unless you have that guarantee, there's little point in trusting a third party over yourself.

Gentoo's maintenance is literally (almost) the same as debian's, sync && upgrade. The difference being that you'd have to check the configs that are being modified and I'm sure there's a good way to automate that too. Just update it once a month or set up autoupdate. It's a myth that gentoo is a lot of work, even when you're installing gentoo you save time by not having to unfuck the system later; you can have it just right from the start (that is if you need some specific configuration done).

Once you see past the meme, gentoo is an awesome thing that we've been blessed with.

Attached: 2390cc0fa0a280d19d04a1f02ff1c7c85144b65d9499c5248d7e665fd1d06ce3.jpg (534x900, 212.14K)

Why do I rarely ever see centOS users here? It's a wonderful os

Lignux is a wonderful operating system; CentOS is a "wonderful" distribution.

implying

I use it on my servers, used to use it on a waaay older desktop. As a whole I enjoy the vast ammount of resources for .rpm distros, both documentation and actual software.

Because of systemD and Red Hat's shoving of their ecosystem on the rest of the previously POSIX compliant distros.

I do use centOS for my Git server though because it's not horrible. systemD is shit but the rest of centOS is good.

The problem I have with SystemCancer is that I can barely even install the damn distros, systemd always fucks with your usb and half the time it won't even boot. OpenRC on the other hand has always worked for me and it's the only platform on which I am able to get a 100% working linux system, with working usb3 and everything. It's always been a compromise with systemd for me and so I have no idea why it's being praised. Gentoo gives me hundreds of times less headache than systemd-distros. Alpine worked flawlessly on my laptop but debian won't even shutdown properly even when the manhours poured into that distro is phenomenal. I can say for sure because I have 6 home computers running linux and systemd is the only piece of shit software I've encountered. I run FeeBSD, alpine, gentoo, guixsd and they all work excellent.

Fuck systemd, not simply because of its godawful strategy but also because it just doesn't fucking work.

Attached: 17c94fcd471a797ea45cf270f00e4c873a5d75339a3a2f4a19631a2c9a25a2ae.png (1200x1200, 12.58K)

Yeah, better not probably. It would be a shame to negate all the man-hours that went into FreeBSD by sane developers though. It is a solid system and should be judged based on that, not on the influx of sexually confused people it received.
It needs sane men more than ever before, I'd say. Have you actually used FreeBSD before?

Best choice for a home seedbox with rtorrent?
Is RPi3 for ~67 €uros a good idea?

Attached: 7d1272dfd8b8fd1c9bfb10a9f31f2d5aec9fec440c72d517505320d93bf23416.jpg (500x375, 18.97K)

umm. it runs off ram. that's good if you're mentally ill like me.

What?

Attached: wot m8 u.png (478x165, 15.37K)

vamos a la pi jajajaja

Did you compare it with Beaglebone black and the orange pi's and whatnot? There was a comparison chart, maybe some user has it

That seems to be the price for starter kits with a small case and stuff you probably don't need

4 bolts and 8 nuts and you're done, bonus points if you connect them to ground.

That was the point I was trying to make - the starter sets don't seem to be a good deal.

What if I only have 2 nuts?

Spread the load diagonally.

SystemD isn't that bad from a sysadmin standpoint. It does what I need and works fine. Idk what you're going on about with it fucking up your USBs, I've used plenty of systemd distros with no issues.

The majority of my machines are centOS and I do damn near everything with that beast. Use the minimal install and build it however you need with a few custom systemd services. Centos is pretty much the ideal linux distro IMO, super stable with great documentation and software support. I only have 2 Debian based machines, one for cross compiling some shit and one for hosting all these centos vms.

What's a good method of getting out of an ISP's NAT?

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I'm not too sure what you mean by "getting out of" NAT... NAT is just a method of getting packets where they need to go on different networks, not something you can just "get out of"

Look up reverse SSH tunnelling or ZereoTier

why not host centos on centos?
why is centos better for servers than plain debian?

i'd say buying the starter kit is not a bad choice considering the sum of the parts is about equal

Ive had debian servers work just fine with less than half of the resources you cited.
You'll be fine.

If you're into tech it's likely that you already have those parts laying around or are able to improvise

Not plain debian, it's a debian based distro. Proxmox is a 10/10 VM host. As far as I know there isn't anything as complete and well supported as that based on centos because if there was, I'd eat that shit up instantly.

Raspi is a piece of shit that doesn't even have sata support and runs out of power when you have more then 2 things plugged into usb. It also has shit Ethernet speed because it does ethernet over usb 2. Also external hard drives don't work on the thing.

what do you recommend?

It's also inherently botnet, what did you expect?

An old laptop or desktop PC

broofs?

Holy shit do i have to make a webm to prove it?

There are tons of guides on making external hdds work with raspi
Why are you lying?

Doesn't work with any of my drives.