Hard drive motors

So I just dissabled 3 broken IDE HDD's and I got 2 Three Phase AC motors from them. Are they worth saving? I checked out local electronics store and electric motors cost around 20 €.

Attached: motor.jpg (3456x2592, 937.2K)

Build something cool with them.

Something like this

Attached: yet another hard drive playing Imperial March-rOm61C3zpic.webm (640x480, 4.28M)

Put them in scalextric cars.

Hard drives don't use dc stepper motors?

That would make more sense. It doesn't seem efficient to go from AC to DC back to AC.

Industrial electrician, here. You are a retard.

He might not know. No need to call OP retard. He is here to learn like we all are.

Don't you know, user? We must always act like retarded constantly offended mulatto teenagers around here.

absolutely, no one would ever risk to hurt op's feelings :^)

They aren't as high power as your typical 3ph a/c motor, but they are certainly 3 phase. The motor controller is basically a high precision vfd

they're brushless DC motors you fucking tech illiterate nigger

BLDC = synchronous AC motor + electronics
OP got rid of electronics.
OP now has synchronous AC motor.

Look at these gaywads.

Nah you need a speed controller to use them.

OH NO SWEETIE

I threw them to trash, rate.
ps. Also accidently threw my secondary laptop's power supply as well.

Nigger, those aren't electronics, that's just traces which lead to the internal coils of the motor. You're a dumbass.
More than 2 wires = generally not a real DC motor

HAHAHAHHAHAHA
it's a dc stepper motor, retard

First of all that is not a stepper motor by any means. There is no need for precise relative positioning of a HDD platter. Only thing that is needed are constant RPMs.
Secondly
Look I know you're trying to look smart but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, so stop embarrassing yourself. Motor on OP's pic is not a "DC stepper motor". It's a synchronous AC motor with a permanent magnet rotor wired as pic related. Even DC motors have alternating voltages and currents within them and generally only motors with commutators are in practice refereed to as DC motors. If motor is of type found in pic 3 then it is a DC motor, otherwise you're dealing with AC machine. Slapping BL before DC motor doesn't make it magically work on DC, you need inverter to generate polyphase system which creates rotating magnetic field that interacts with the rotor turning the shaft producing torque.

Attached: image[4].png (485x377 16.24 KB, 36.77K)

Im not the guy you are replying to.

I looked up the part number and its sold as a BLDC motor.
Most BLDC motors require alternating stator current. And if you take away the control circuitry as mentioned you get what appears to be an AC 3 phase motor. But very few motors are designed to run both ways. Thats why you check the manufacturer.

Not sure what do you meant by that. BLDC just tells you that this motor is not intended for use with mains and requires a driving circuitry, often they also contain sensors to make driving them easier and more accurate. BLDC is a sub-family of synchronous motors (can also be induction motors) or AC motors. Calling it just a DC motor is a bit misleading, though. In that case one would assume that you can connect it to a constant voltage/current source and it would work without any additional parts, BLDC is better name in that case and that's why manufacturers use it.

I meant what you just said... I think.
If you connected that thing to 3ph mains it would definitely not work.
Just as you rightly point out you cant connect DC straight to it.

I think the term BLDC just came from the applications rather than the function.
Its a good replacement for a DC motor in all sorts of cheap products.

OP, please test whether they are DC or AC motors.
If a sacrifice needs to be made, then so be it.

I have some HDDs that I could disassemble too. Hmm

OP is a retard who thinks mashing up few techie engineering words make him knowlagable about the topic and thinks that googlin "DIY tutorial" makes him master of the topic at hand.

Stop.