So...how do you guys communicate?

I'm out of the loop. Tox, Matrix, Signal, XMPP, IRC?

Attached: pidgin.jpg (540x330, 53.32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

the-federation.info/
youtube.com/watch?v=pBxdgqyJsnk
toxme.io/
omemo.top/
github.com/tieto/pidgin/releases
bitbucket.org/pidgin/main/commits/all
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Telegram and Fedi
That's pmuch it for me

Whatsapp, duhh?

What's fedi? You think it's gonna be popular?

I see a lot of programs / protocols mentioned these days. Seems every day they come and go. So what's reliable?

wew

Attached: TheAbsoluteStateOfTox.jpg (1000x1000, 170.66K)

Look man you can either have something thats secure, or something thats free of pedos. Real security means pedos, drug dealers, and terrorists are safe.

So Tox is still relevant then?

What about Matrix, Signal, Riot...

Signal works well but is very tied to phone, and can only the single centralized server.

Tox is still chugging along but with very slow development.

true. Just wanted to spread the word that tox is used by them. Whether you take that as a reason to stay away because of the typical clientele, or take that as a sign of its security and a reason to start using it right away is up to you.

Fedi is a bunch of decentralised social network instances, here's some stats:
the-federation.info/

aside from forums, mostly meeting people IRL and email

except most pedos use insecure shit and have -10 opsec. i don't care about post-snowden "privacy" software though so can't say whether tox is good

Signal because it's the easiest messenger for non-tech-savvy friends to use. I don't like that it solely uses phone numbers but that does make it simpler to onboard people.

Matrix (the protocol) is a pretty okay IRC replacement for projects.

Is use the special NSA data mining app. You should try it. Oh wait--

and?

Like this
youtube.com/watch?v=pBxdgqyJsnk

Trying to disconnect from google and google chat. I only use it for like two people.
I need to set up an IRC room, but fuck, i haven't done that since the early 90s.

So guys, is XMPP "deprecated" ? I used to use exclusively that many years ago, but I lost all the contacts.

come on.
It takes 10 minutes to have one running.

XMPP is fine, but Google disabled federation. If your contacts were using gmail, then they no longer are accessible via XMPP.

Same here, sometimes SMS. I have my own e-mail server to keep the (((botnet))) to the minimum.

Attached: kirby_tequila.jpg (648x648, 26.83K)

I don't.

You're communicating with me right now.

We all use Apple iMessage.

I use WhatsApp with friends and family. Calls for everything else.

How do you even make friends with people online these days? Most of these communication apps are full of shit skins saying Muh Dick over and over.

Well, we're all here so we have a lot in common by default. Just a matter of adding someone then? But Zig Forumsies don't seem too fond of this "making friends" thing...

How do you add people who haven't told you their usernames?

You tell them, that's the point.

Well telegram just asked for my phone number and to have access to my voice calls and text messages.

How about no?

fuck telegram then, it's been suspicious since its creation

why not simple XMPP?

IRC and XMPP. Recently started using Matrix.

IRc's problem is finding good channels. There's no easy way to search them.

Right now I'm just using IRC + slack for work (with a weechat plugin).

dropped

What's your alternative to XML for instant messaging?

Worse. It's not even stream of documents (which would be ok, despite all the screech by xml haters), but pseudo-xml abomination with infinite root element.

Attached: I kill children.jpg (455x542, 68.17K)

IRC, email, imageboards like this one. I have a flip-phone for voice chat. It's all very advanced.

Attached: magnetic_power.jpg (800x560, 135.8K)

literally anything

that's not even a thing. _nobody_ likes XML. without even reading the rest of this thread, "it's probably something something XMPP has XML", and they'd be right, XMPP is hugely bloated enterprise crap. merely embedding an tag into an XMPP chat is all it took to crash everyone's clients (over several different vendors) last time I checked

userid:int32|msglen|msg

Name something.

Does that support images?

:)

json

Because of it's rampant misuse. But instant messaging is one of situations where XML use makes sense.

Won't argue with that. XMPP is trainwreck of 'extensibility'.

>merely embedding an tag
Could you elaborate? Because ' tag' has zero meaning by itself.

Matrix is the only way forward.

Attached: 1725f6e61a50a37c26327cf78471ecc4cb0df6826e7dd771d1f3496bd373a1c2.gif (500x650, 997.75K)

What's the least gay way to use it?

By deleting it and installing TOX.

Attached: 03fe3387b53ff232e7f23d51fbad3c27c74ead12a2fd5018f81d1e89e4ebb6b7.gif (640x480, 999.14K)

A little educational exercise: how would you express imageboard-like text formatting via json? Preferably In a way that highlight JSON benefits over XML

give an xml example of what you mean specifically

GroupMe for a bunch of friends who have the same "why do you care? There's no point trying to fight it" excuse.
Messenger for some other friends who temporarily switched to signal, but gradually switched back.
Signal for the few friends who have it. Also for some family members who probably only use it so I'm more responsive to their texts
Text for 1-1 chat with people who don't have signal.

Attached: image.jpg (460x276, 55.07K)

>OP is a faggot
>OP is a faggot

sure user that's easy

[
{style: "b", content: "OP "},
{style: "p", content " "},
{style: "i", content: "is"},
{style: "p", content " a "},
{style: "u", content "faggot"}
]

I remember asking a Tox dev what happens if two people share the same ID and he got angry saying "it's statistically impossible" or something to that effect. But then someone noted that you can copy your ID to another machine and use it. I think the answer was "it just gets sent randomly".

Yes user this is a basic property of cryptography.
even incrementing through 64 bits takes 100 years.

>>op is complete faggot
At which point you are implementing tree structure on top of JSON. And being ad-hoc such structure lacks library support - for example you can strip tags from XML example without knowing anything beyond 'this shit contains text', while doing it with JSON based format requires knowing what "style" and "content" means.

lol yeah no json validators exist
its already a tree faggot. you are not implementing anything new here.

And how validators solve task of extracting text from unknown document?
Yes (tree of objects). And you make another one (tree of {"style"} structures) on top of it. While with XML you just use document tree.

JSON is a tree structure. trees are a thing it does. there is no making it a tree, that's what json is.

Well, I've been using IRC since I was in high school. And I'm 25 now. It's never going away. I have been using the same channels for over a decade at this point. Or close to a decade. I don't usually actively seek new ones unless I have a recommendation from someone I talk to on there.

Whenever someone else provides an "alternative" to IRC it's never as good. In every case, it's always slower, not as portable, not as modular. It almost never ever meets my requirements. I'll be using IRC until I die. I don't think anything will even come close to it's usability in our lifetime.

I made an Amino account. It's so cluttered and busy. Is this really how people "build" communities these days? It's just a cluster fuck of noise.

that's how communication works, user
imagine the original roman forums
shitposts would spread forever

I don't find that appealing at all. It's just a mess. Maybe that's why I'm a miserable bitter shell of a man.

Let's chat 713-645-5163

The constant barrage of unsolicited advertising scams and the inexcusable fact that most service providers will not allow blocking unidentified callers really fucks that up for most people.

federated collective

Tox bud hit me up

1063984402ED12798F8BD04158BBF992FDD18E4E5462D1963B84FACCCFA70F57D2C49787D4C0

Bro just use facebook messenger. all the friends you have that are actually worth talking to you already have a facebook.

Wire and Riot.im

doesn't signal do they same thing to verify the sms code automatically? when i signed up for telegram i didn't allow that permission and it never asked for it ever again

Wow.

Just go to toxme.io/ , click "Find some friends here", and take just 15 minutes or so going through them. You'll most likely find similar shit. Just checked now and there's one on the first page.

xmpp + otr, with a little pgp thrown in there.

I mostly use IRC but I don't mind to switch to XMPP.

So is OMEMO and XEP Compatibility still a pipedream for XMPP? Just checked and saw that Xabber won't be implementing OMEMO for a long time.

If I had a Facebook account, I'd use this. Facebook Messenger also provides end-to-end encryption. (You have to turn it on manually for every conversation though.)

omemo.top/

It may prevent script kiddies from reading your messages but not facebook. You have no control over the application and servers.

I don't have any friends so no.

This. Skype is another example. It has end-to-end encryption however Microsoft can forcefully switch an account over to generating encryption keys on MS servers as opposed to the user's computer.

If Facebook can read the encrypted messages it's not E2EE.

pidgin is deadware, wouldn't touch that with a nigger's dick.
github.com/tieto/pidgin/releases

It's advertised as E2EE but nobody can prove that facebook doesn't have access to your messages. There is also metadata collection which in itself is sometimes enough to fuck someone over. I'm pretty sure that they store at least timestamp, source and destination somewhere. I wouldn't use it, if I had to send someone some data that could get me in to trouble.

bitbucket.org/pidgin/main/commits/all

OTR hasn't been touched in two years either, or did that move to bitbucket as well?

drop a URL and check for crawlers

meant for

Telegram, I run a group chat
t.me/@tech_chan

Hi, comrade Durov
How are your (((cloud))) chats doing?

Fediverse and Matrix

Attached: d54348f1c07c2abfa5b0228a68fe4e86b0057b9d5d2a3e058d0c698ae927e484.png (1749x1656, 250.27K)

You win.

Joined, been waiting for something like this for a while, just never realised it

why would I tell you?

You weren't fucking lying.
This is literally the first person I got after I did "find friends". Literally the first, didn't have to dig any deeper.

I guess it's somewhat encouraging if even pedos are brazen about their degeneracies on the platform? But then again, pedos aren't necessarily known for being good at privacy and security.

Attached: CcSJnXI.png (904x819, 43.77K)

Attached: savetheinternet.png (250x300, 106.61K)

Yep, I told you so.
You'd think they'd be really good about that shit, considering how incredibly illegal pedophilia is.

The rabbit hole goes deep. Looking through accounts, I notice a lot of them might be from Germany. You can see that from the fact that there will be an occasional foreign language version of this kinda sickfuckery, and it's almost always German.

Holy fuck no. Just fucking no.

Attached: waterfox_2018-07-09_02-58-17.png (316x27, 4.3K)

So tox is secure if normalfag shills convince people against it, hmm.