What's wrong with .NET?

What's wrong with .NET?

Attached: Interview-1411732269-dotnet.jpg (1768x1730, 284.05K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/net/download/linux
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonoDevelop
what.thedailywtf.com/topic/24710/xamarin-s-contiuing-barrel-of-cross-platform-xml-encoding-fut-the-wuckery/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's Java but less portable. Portable .NET applications often bundle entire copies of Mono because actual portability is considered hopeless at this point.

They open sourced it way too late and missed out on developer mindshare.

Also, bundled copies of Mono are often not fully compatible with tools designed for MS .NET. This sometimes causes trouble for Unity devs as switch statements and their implementation of coroutines have very different generated code.

You can't fucking build it in Linux.

It's a "platform independent" language like Java, but unlike Java, it only works only on Windows, defeating the entire fucking point of it.
Unofficial, not completely compatible
Too little, too late. Core still doesn't support everything the old .NET did, so many older applications don't work with that either.

You do realize .net is open source and officially supports Linux right?
microsoft.com/net/download/linux

So I can apt-get install dotnet from official repositories where I can be sure legions of communists, faggots, and furries have ensured they're kosher? I'm not taking some shitty hand-made packages from Microsoft.

It's microsoft. It's as if you were using Go.

Mono is developed by Xamarin now owned by Microsoft.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonoDevelop

I only worked with C#/.Net once and it was to crack a program and that was pretty easy compared to what I was used to. So in some ways .Net is pretty good.

I remember when Miguel of Gnome was working on the initial Mono implementation while all the patent shit went on with Linux, SCO and Ximian/Novell (who made shady deals with Microsoft and SCO). He was not a very popular fucker in the free software community at that time.

Attached: 439px-Miguel_de_Icaza.jpg (439x600, 40.83K)

Out of curiosity, what was the general premise of this program and how would your native programming language have complicated its development?

Also, what types of programs do you typically write that are so complex that they usually warrant the use of a non-.NET language?

shitty one-liner threads, that's what

lol

Normally you need to trace through assembly and break on interesting spots, doing it statically is almost impossible. With this program, a sea map with a license key, I used a tool from a company I think is called Telerik and it was similar to a total decompilation. I could easily without running the program track down and modify all the places it connected to the internet and change the license key stuff to accept any key. Helped a lot of old bearded sailors that day!

I wasn't trying to imply that you can not create complex programs with .Net

Attached: valid_solution.jpg (500x500, 20.95K)

This sums it up pretty much. There's a few features it has over Java, but overall nothing to write home about.

You know absolutely nothing. No language scales complexity as well as C#. None.

20 rupees have been deposited into your account.

C# maximizes ROI and minimizes TCO for Intelligent Apps living in the Cloud.

Can you copy paste more phrases from the marketing handbook?

Care to expound on that? What does C# have over Java 10 besides a better implementation of generics?

Pretty interesting dude. I think there's an open source sea map editor too, but the maps are paid for. I forget its name but I saw it on one of my friends that was a ship captain.

what.thedailywtf.com/topic/24710/xamarin-s-contiuing-barrel-of-cross-platform-xml-encoding-fut-the-wuckery/
Just putting it out here. I know Xamarin isn't just C#/.Net but it's a good read.

What about Kotlin, or Python, or (G-d fordid!) Go and Swift?
They all are really expressive and allow to write software with similar performance (a bit harder to achieve in Python but also doable; for some specific areas even easier)

fuckin' lel

Absolutely nothing. Probably the best MS product that ever existed.

Attached: e0b6b260945769e0b90179071d4c4d4d89c50d0e6458bbffe62d26281792b79d.jpg (1768x1730, 85.65K)

It's a proprietary language. That's what's wrong with it. That said, it is a very well-designed proprietary language. It's basically what I wish C++ was, but without the proprietorship.

C++ is also proprietary.
Only some compilers are free, but so is Mono.

So where many things that became standards as time went by.

This doesn't hold much water because the Roslyn C# compiler is open source. You can fork it and turn it into anything you want.

Async methods change the multithreading game and they don't have 'em.

LOL

so all of this is pointless since Mono is doing better and replacing it
that also is not really open source because of proprietary parts
its made in C#

how many more awful ideas?

A piece of fucking shit that regularly results in unbelievably poorly optimized Linux "ports".

Attached: wrong.gif (480x287, 1.21M)

All of them have them or something equivalent.

…maybe except Swift, I don't use apple shit when it comes to programming

GIFs truly are cancer.

Attached: wrong.png (480x287, 1.1M)

Just to play devil's advocate the windows devtools seem pretty powerful in the .net ecosystem, and the #F language seems pretty decent all things considered.

Something equivalent doesn't count. They have them or they don't.

doesn't know about .net core

Attached: wrong.webm (1280x720, 501.47K)