Ocean Micronations

blue-frontiers.com/
Hey Zig Forums this looks really cool, I think ocean colonization is a natural first step before Moon or Mars colonization. What do you think?
reddit.com/search?q=varyon&sort=new

Attached: BlueFrontiers-FloatingIslandProject-Polynesia-concept1-05.jpg (1327x939, 200.91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerva_Reefs#"Republic_of_Minerva"
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Absolute nonsense.

Elaborate. Is it less expensive? If so, how much are we saving? How is it more feasible in terms of quality of life?

Wow, sounds like a great scheme.

Ocean colonisation is a good idea, but it's costly to produce something that won't sink or float away. Artificial cities made near shorelines are much more likely and feasible than true micronations.
I think Mars would still happen first, only because there's more media/corporate attention and money behind it.
That being said, I'm talking a dozen on another planet then hundreds on a floating city.

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING
Get cancer and die, redditor

Attached: benzene man.png (400x800, 1.71K)

Sigh. Yes I don't support the comintern anymore than you do but a source is a source.

Well yes, also there is plentiful water, oxygen, and solar energy at the equator.

Attached: cdebb0e95a0a1ec0de86a09aa74e7c6d.jpg (1000x538, 167.57K)

Lel I was about to post that, this just looks like another pump&dump crypto scheme.

I wonder, what would be the incentives that would make anyone want to actually live in such a place, even if it became ancap-utopia, how much of an advantage would that be over the average low-tax micronation anyway. Living in some artificial island seems a pretty boring deal, unless you were close to shore, but then you can't enjoy the advantages of being in international waters.

Attached: virgin islands.png (923x611, 566.97K)

The ocean territory between the tropics is the last great unclaimed territory on Earth.

Currently the first test island is going to be built as a SEZ or special economic zone.

Attached: 01d0eb80b256b1ccd404653cb981b97a213fc64d.jpg (1050x580, 106.48K)

It's a long shot but a project I can believe in addition to PIVX.

Attached: 0038f8e82bd821f83d46c0a6313ab821.jpg (1000x1500, 249.01K)

(OP)
What is your supposed strategy for dealing with 30 foot waves? In the ocean, 10 foot waves are ordinary, everyday occurrence. But you also need to be prepared for the storm conditions. Also how would the colony stay in place? Drawing a 2 mile anchor line is out of the question.

If you want to live in ancap utopia, just move to Russia. It checks all the boxes, except that the government isn't totally abolished and still technically exists.

Pure rich asshole wankery. Having trouble living with the rest of civilization that you've ripped off? Maybe you can abscond to your own private island when that Caiman Island tax haven isn't working out well enough for you.

As someone who's worked on a ship, fuck that. Saltwater is not compatible with manmade structures, the sheer amount of upkeep required for this would be mind-boggling. You'd definitely also have to take it completely out of the water every ten years at least to carry out many major repairs, and that sounds like a shitshow and a half. If you want artificial islands, do it like China is doing; dump a huge pile of dirt and rocks into the ocean so that the peak is over the waterline.

I'm absouletyl down with this. nothing would be cooler than litlte bubble domes connected by tunnels at the sea floor

Why are you samefagging?

off yourself scum

Most people here barely leave their houses.

...because I had something to add?

You first nigger.

Attached: 1530559469314.jpg (1280x720, 313.36K)

hmm, why not ask the 'devs' that question. There has to be a reason this has not already been done.

They want to locate in a lagoon first, but open ocean settlements is the goal for true independence and Free as in FREEDOM

Attached: 3cef0f2fd979185ffb914fe47cc6322c5636cc688d7f75ec43a5eeef00fddad3.png (1000x1211, 934.06K)

The whole point of colonizing other worlds is that it gets you far enough away from the rest of humanity to survive whatever dumb shit they try next.
It's all about isolation. How does this help in that regard?

I don't really see the point of an ocean city when there is still so much land that is untamed. You'd have to deal with storms, shit growing on the underside of your platform, getting supplies from somewhere, and it would feel much like living in a prison.

oh, it's an exit scam

As if imageboards are substantially better, especially when most users are redditors.

Speak for yourself, faggot.

I've wanted to do this since I was young and these people are proving themselves retarded.

Waves and storms are negotiable. If you build the structures from sealed shipping containers, you can build wave breaks around the outside of the core structures. An overall hydro/aero dynamic shape would allow the core structure to turn into the wind. Either that, or power the entire micronation with solar and steer clear of storms. Problem then is, you now have a boat.

I think the human population of Earth needs to be reduced by 95% and we need to mature significantly as a species before we even contemplate colonizing extraterrestrial bodies, or even taking a "natural first step" toward doing so.

I don't think you understand what it means to have large waves. Put simply, it means that the whole structure is suspended on two points, corresponding to the wave crests. If will crack in half if there isn't enough structural integrity.

Does that %95 also include you? Asking for a friend.

Adding to that, it will also flex a lot regardless of strength. All materials are prone to work hardening and eventually it will break due to the stress it had accumulated over time.

Here, an example of a big wave crashing into a coastline.

Attached: Las olas golpean el paseo nuevo de Donosti-H9brb7FJ4rE.mp4 (640x352, 1.37M)

Patxi go home

Not that it matters, but as a tall European with an IQ of 140 and no heritable diseases, no, it doesn't.

It has been sort of attempted before with the results you would expect: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerva_Reefs#"Republic_of_Minerva"

Ez
Buy my food

This structure rests on the bedrock. It doesn't float on the waves. Additionally, it's entirely solid, not hollow, as a floating structure would be.

I posed that as an example of a wave hitting something, I know it doesn't apply 1:1 but you can start to imagine what would happen if that thing hits a suspended bridge

A lot of datacenters are expanding exponentially due to cloud computing. They're trying to cut costs as much as they can. I wouldn't be surprised if "cryptomining" is code for cheap datacenter storage areas. Water cooling would hypothetically save money on cooling costs.

How are they protected by big oceanic weather? Won't 10 meter waves swallow them whole?

The cost of water desalination to eat up those savings and more. Unless you're suggesting that saltwater be used in which case lol.

If you get an ocean burp then say your last words.
It is when a huge bubble the size of kilometers burst out from the ocean.

Why am I not surprised?