RSS

It feels like RSS is going the way of the fax machine. Anyone still use it (it beats manually checking sites)?

What rss feeds are you subbed to?

Attached: rss.png (128x128, 7.34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/rss/rss.xml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I use elfeed on Emacs. RSS is incredibly useful for handling YouTube subscriptions, while all the teenbros whine about Hooktube, I just download my YouTube videos directly with a function that invokes mpv (and downloads subtitles and subscriptions, thereby) and also scrapes the comment section (unfortunately only the first 100 comments) and places that in a plaintext file. I can yank the url and stream it on mpv directly by just passing the one-liner in EXWM's runner.

Perhaps the biggest strength of RSS is simply that you aren't confined to one medium. You aren't wasting bandwidth and needlessly disclosing information about yourself to third parties by having a bunch of separate accounts that you can't aggregate on single-medium platforms you have to visit individually. I'm not watching a YouTube video just to learn how to do a basic thing a ten-line article (or a fucking man page, for God's sake) could do in a fraction of the time, because I'm not an illiterate child.

I know that sounds elitist, but I really do feel bad about future generations who can barely read, don't know the difference between "yeah" and "yea" because they haven't even read Shakespeare. They probably have awful attention spans. I genuinely want to help these children, but I feel so out of touch. Nothing I do matters. I can't be a positive role model even to my own nieces because they're to busy looking on their phones to notice me reading or some other trivial thing that's become an insurmountable intellectual obstacle in recent times. I fucking hate my siblings for fucking up their children, for giving them smartphones, lobotomized, proprietary-ridden computers but no actual computers to use as a resource for learning.

Attached: stream.webm (960x1072, 418.55K)

I did not know you could do this. That is actually really useful.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. "Commonly used worldwide in spite of past predictions of its imminent demise"?

Yes.

NSA News, The Dataminer's Weekly, stuff like that.

Like I use elfeed for youtube subscriptions, but I only have it open up the url in mpv. I don't have it permanantly archiving the video itself. I modified the browse-url function so that it opens up youtube in mpv instead of a web browser.
I also have a couple sites in their too, but I mainly just use it for youtube.

Github and madokami having atom/rss services is incredibly useful. Also, your distro packages and some news sites like Moronix, LWN and Guru3D. Using newsboat through tor.

ATOM is better.

> www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=

Hacker News have been shilling hard for RSS lately, after the whole Facebook thing.
I have also prefer using RSS, social media stopped being useful when they started feeding you with algorithms instead of a simple feed.

RSS is just getting into the background.
Direct use of it might be declining, but phone apps will use it to push notifications.

you might have severe autism. your grandparents thought about you the same way retard, it's a generation thing

now go back to hacker news

Doesn't mean it's false. That's the concept of decadence, it just keeps getting worse.

why

To read them? Duh.

you think you could share that script?, I don't care if the code is bad.

stallman.org/rss/rss.xml

rms really shouldn't talk about anything that isn't software.

I find it fascinating how every time Stallman's political notes are mentioned, it always solicits the same response of ethos-driven condescension, but, ironically, they never seem to justify their remarks. Just a haphazard retort without any real warrant or context or meaning so presumptuous that one might think it expects to be lauded by its sheer baselessness and pretension.

Nice word salad, faggot.

Nice reading reading comprehension, heterosexual. The irony is palpable.

Do you think acting ostentatious makes you astucious? Your comment makes no sense: I was trying to tell you that your word salad post sounds like it was written by someone working at The New Yorker; reading that bile made me retch. Maybe when you're an adult you'll realize that trying to onanate your lexicon everywhere makes you seem LESS intelligent.

Before I forget, an addendum:
I know why you admonished my reading comprehension and made a "the irony is palpable" (a garden variety phrase you'd find on reddit) comment -- you're assuming that I'm the person you were replying to, and I'm trying to steer around the subject of Stallman by criticizing your pretension. Well, I'm not the original person you were replying to -- your word salad was so unbearable for me to read that _had_ to castigate you. Die.

You're both retards. For real, this time; no "mediator's pride" bullshit.

You fucking imbecile, I was making an offhanded joke about the fact that you dismissed Stallman's political notes without a viable any discernible logic. It's amazing that you're somehow so insecure that you would hone in on my perceived verbosity so much you got butthurt over a joke. And even after being called out, even after I explained the joke to you, you still struggle to harness even the most basic self awareness. Take a fucking autism pill.

And you keep churning out the grammatical equivalent of spaghetti code
Why haven't you killed yourself already?

You are literally getting offended by your own stupidity.

No, I'm getting offended at a retard that has to pad his posts with a million of useless words to convey a simple idea.

Hurr

Get that asshole ready

Me see shitpost, me see big words, me get angry because me can't understand; big words scary

Look who's shitposting because he ran out of intelligent arguments now

I'm sorry, I don't speak brainlet.

>I was making an offhanded joke about the fact that you dismissed Stallman's political notes without a viable any discernible logic.
You harebrained mouth breathing ape; I made it clear in my second post that I am _not_ the person you originally replied to -- your circumlocutory, affected, fustian writing style incensed me so much so that I had to post an obloquy. Maybe _you_ should work on your reading comprehension. If you're making a joke, there's no need to onanate your lexicon -- it's obnoxious.

Please tell me why you needed to onanate over how grand your lexicon is, instead of simply saying:
It's fascinating to me that people always are critical of Stallman's political opinions, but if you ask them to expound, they refuse to justify their remarks. Funny how that works. (I'm adding that last sentence because you're purporting that post as an "offhanded joke".)
The only reason you would write in such an periphrastic manner is to appear more intelligent. You failed, knuckle dragger.

I already reduced him to nonsense shitposts.
So much for parading his big brain, he runs out of steam pretty quickly.

Hurrdurr

I can smell your asshurt though my 56k connection

I don't understand how he could write that word salad, and then have the gall to tell others' to take an autism pill. I laughed out loud at him claiming what he wrote was an "offhand joke" -- truly and veritably pathetic. He's probably going to continue to make pseudo-insouciant remarks (I'm so above it now guise!) -- I guess it's best to ignore him now.

Oh no, did I hurt your feelings?

What's a RSS client with good scripting support? Preferrably commandline, but it doesn't matter.
Newsboat seems to be limited in this regard, you can only run filter scripts and scrips that run an arbitrary command and output a valid RSS feed.

Say I want to read a manga from some manga website.
It would be cool if the RSS reader could run a script I made to fetch it from the webpage it's on and open the manga in a manga reader, mark it as read when I finish, and cache the manga until a configuration file said an unread feed of a certain age shouldn't be cached. Bonus points if I could make it precache unread mangas. Basically having some sort of "OnCache" "OnRead" and so on functions that allow me to programatically replace the reading part of the feed reader with what I actually want to do with the information it provides.

This would save me so much time and allow me to focus on the important things in life like shitposting.

Attached: even cowtits know loli tits are the best.jpg (796x720, 129.76K)

I use it. I use newsboat with an every-10-minute cron job that checks it in quiet mode and throws up a notification if something is found. A lot of sites don't offer RSS anymore, but you can use snownews filters to fake it. When I want to watch slow 8ch threads, I use a filter that converts a thread to an RSS feed, with posts as articles. For sites without a good JSON API, something like BeautifulSoup tends to work well enough to get what you need done.

I've wanted the same thing; a news reader that will automatically fetch my files (mostly so I can pull pannenkoek's videos right when they appear). I haven't found anything that facilitates this. Newsboat isn't very flexible. It has podcast downloading support, but that's incredibly limited.

With newsboat, you can set the "browser" option to be a script that will do those things, as that command gets passed the url. You can further set up the script to be pluggable, defaulting to your local browser, using your mailcap, or tapping into your xdg-mime settings. Granted, this won't help for feed items as they're fetched by newsboat, only as they're opened for reading, but it's better than nothing.

Use elfeed, a package for emacs.
You will want to just use one of the hooks elfeed exposes to run your dumper.
This one would be tricky to do. Would be easy if instead you wanted to keep 100 unread manga.

Write a shell script and set it up to run automatically. I made one to keep my youtube archive up to date in a few minutes, no need to install a "package" for an already bloated text editor.
Jewtube is easy to get videos from via RSS because the video ID has its own unique line that can easily be obtained via something like grep + sed and passed to youtube-dl.