Gentoo

Anyone using Gentoo as their primary OS? I'm thinking of wiping a computer, a shitty old dell laptop, and putting it on there.
I have it up currently in a VM and it seems okay.
Why use Gentoo?
I know that it is faster than Ubuntu.
I have MXLinux and Lubuntu running and they are pretty solid and fast.
Will Gentoo be worth it?

Attached: Screenshot.png (1918x1078, 364.02K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lubuntu.me/zesty-eol/
lubuntu.me/
lubuntu.me/bionic-released/
twitter.com/hashtag/gentooinstallbattle?f=tweets&vertical=default
mastodon.home.js4.in/tags/gentooinstallbattle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's shit. Install OpenBSD.

will open BSD be supported in like 10 years from now?
I know Lubuntu is done in 2020

No
already poo poo

nigger what are you doing?

What are you babbling about?

lubuntu.me/zesty-eol/

shit I'm a retard
lubuntu.me/

This is what I was talking about -
lubuntu.me/bionic-released/
Basically, I would like support on an OS for 10+years
don't ask me why
maybe I'm just crazy that way.

Just install Arch

omg what a pain in the ass

No pain, no gain.

It's easy to apply patches to programs. If you are running a system built with free software, you should take advantage of that and modify things you don't like. You can simply drop a patch in and the next time you build it, it will have your changes.
Making your own packages is also pretty simple. Usually the hardest part of making a basic one is finding where to download the source from.
It doesn't use systemd, and tries hard to allow you to avoid potteringware by letting you use USE flags.
Finally, it doesn't come preinstalled with vi or one of its clones. They do not make the assumption that you have it, or xxd installed. They even recreated xxd in perl or something in order for you to compile some packages.

Gentoo only made sense when pax/grsec patches were still being released.
Hardened Gentoo is as good as dead and so there really is no longer much reason to use it over OpenBSD as stated.
I'm hoping someone builds a userspace on top of seL4 some day but the L4 world seems to be all about running linux in VMs instead of getting native drivers and applications.
So the best we're probably going to ever get is something like Qubes but with seL4 acting as the hypervisor instead of Xen.

Not anymore.
Depending on how old "old" is, you're in for a fun time every time glibc or gcc needs an update.
If you can't find a binary distro that suits your requirements and you have to customize and recompile software so that it does to the extent that using Gentoo is less trouble.
It depends.
That question is unanswerable with the information you have given us.

One day I was bored and decided to install gentoo again.
This time I might just stick around.

Be aware that if you're a first time user you'll spend weeks configuring everything, but this being my 3rd gentoo install it took only 12 hours to get an install with everything I wanted and I still feel like I could have done it faster.

Attached: gentoo.png (937x394, 95.97K)

?

As someone who uses OpenBSD on my routers/laptops; I really think Gentoo is the only sane option for a workstation -- OpenBSD simply lacks the performance I need on dual Xeon workstations and the like. Also, since it is binary only, using a modern browser means that I _must_ use all the ugly dependencies that ship with it. Hardware support is also pretty terrible -- you'd think that server hardware would have decent support, but it's not the case. OP says he's using a laptop, so maybe OpenBSD would be the better choice (as long as his hardware is supported).

I used to use Gentoo as my primary OS. The only reason I switched to Alpine was because I broke some random shit by accident and didn't want to rebuild everything on my craptop. Alpine is a pretty good replacement actually, with a low level of unnecessary dependencies and crap getting installed, but I miss having useflags and shit.
If I had a better computer I would have used gentoo no question.

integrated graphics maybe?

Attached: 96722ee1329af5f39d1d46990465e766a8a6bd73396ccc6c23d772ebdf602924.png (526x493, 198.86K)

I use Gentoo, and it's great. Don't expect things to be faster just because you compiled them yourself. You will likely not see much performance differences, except under specific circumstances or per-package optimizations of your CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. The real beauty is in the amount of choice and control you have over everything on the system. It's wonderful.

Holy shit the mods are awake for once.

tell me about it...

nice
- - - -
I won't be making a server or anything cool like that - I'm just going to use it for day to day application - Office applications - and the occasional fuckery
1. Windows has become pure cancer (I only turn that shit on when I have photos to edit and use Photoshop and Lightroom because they may not work well in Wine)
2. Mac OSs are no better
3. Android is poo in loo
4. Chrome is just another pozzed OS which sends all your data to (((THEM)))
All these four OS's are Cancerous AIDS Skin Lesions
Might as well run shit on the 'Cloud' if I use one of those four, post my Social Security number, and attach nude photos of myself masturbating.
I am using MXLinux as my primary now and it hasn't done me wrong yet
I'm thinking Gentoo will be a step up to a more customize-able GUI
People already look at me in meetings when I bring my MX laptop in and boot it up - they see that screen and they go, WTF?
Sometimes I show someone how it works, tell them its a free OS, how I put SSDs in everything, how fast it is, how the CPU Cooling fan never seems to come on, how the computer is virtually silent 95% of the time - -
Sometimes someone will be impressed to the point where they want to check it out. Other people are just stupid Iphone users, ignorant and stupid. Basically dumb stupid niggers.
Gentoo will use up less memory, hence my Processor will not have the cooling fan turn on constantly (Like my Windows Box!)
I was just running MXLinux on my shitty old dell, and the fan only came on once when I was trying to locate a business on Google Maps, using the Satellite view
- - - -
I pulled it up yesterday in my VM and kind of liked the interface, available PROGRAMS, (Not apps! Apps are for FAGGOTS!) and the general feel of it. Its easy to cruise around in. Give it a few days and then possibly use it full time.

Attached: Windows AIDS.png (476x575, 314.82K)

MX Linux?

If you use gentoo make sure you build a list of the software you'll be using because you might not be able to download it on the spot, the compile times may be unpleasant. For instance libreoffice takes a while to compile. It's better to just chuck everything you think you may have an use for one day in your computer than to be stuck compiling wine for 10 minutes at work or something.
Otherwise I myself update my packages once a month and I make sure I have something else to do while it happens.
I haven't bothered benchmarking a non-gentoo and a gentoo system with a similar setup on performance oriented software but I can tell there is certainly a degree of extra performance there.
Maybe it's placebo but my gaymes do feel a bit better. I hopped from Void to Gentoo and I should have made some detailed benchmarks of steamshit because my gentoo install is the exact same as my void install. I migrated /home/ and a few files on /etc/ then installed the packages I had on void, any differences in running software are the distros providing different versions, which are minor but there.

What is this Desktop Envirnoment

looks like new KDE

Where were you when JP SNS were installing and compiling gentoo battling their errors away:
twitter.com/hashtag/gentooinstallbattle?f=tweets&vertical=default
mastodon.home.js4.in/tags/gentooinstallbattle
nq5jmc5rsyo4fiph.onion/about/more

Attached: reaching_autism_levels_are_beyond_imaginable.jpg (948x599, 81.6K)

Supported drivers like DXKV, newer peripherals.

Recall to throw away x86 chips if you depend on security!
>From: Theo de Raadt