Vi a shit. SHIT!

OK so normally I really like minimalistic setups, and generally find minimal software better to use. I would frequent the minimalism threads when they showed up.
Well in one of them, someone suggested using nvi instead of vim.

I tried it and holy fuck it sucks.

Attached: vi.png (400x400, 36.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/tpope/vim-commentary
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ed is minimal software. Vi is faux-minimal software in the vein of Arch, urxvt, and i3. On a gradient between the simplistic, scriptable Ed and the extensible, flexible Emacs, you could even say that Emacs is more minimal than Vi in the sense that it's in principle one thing, an elisp repl. Vi is that shitty compromise of minimal fetishists who don't understand what minimalism is.

You're not fooling anyone.

Wrote my own simplistic command line editor years ago. Used emacs once and it was for that.
It's a great programming exercise, it pushes you to appreciate other people's work and face the same limitations. Humbling! You should try doing so before shitting on any other tools.

Most people on tech talk from ignorance and shallow experience. Most regurgitate theories and concepts forgetting they live in a cosmos so complex our tech is tin toys. It's all a matter of angles.

Emacs or Vi, Nano or Ed, Sublime or Notepad++ how does it matter to the moon or to the insects polinating plants and making the air you breathe?

Be pragmatic, choose one, master it and use it to code your heart out. Have fun with it, it's a toy made to help build toys, better toys hoepefully.
None of it is a big deal.

Opinions don't matter in this universe, only experience. Enjoy yourself coding and using your mind purposefully, whether it's through Emacs or any other editor, transcend the BS and go to the core.

vi > OP
sage

good post

I get the impression that all the "minimalist" guys are just trolls on here. I mean writing pages upon pages of arguments about what is more minimal - as if it helps them accomplish anything...

emacs is shit. gvim is win.

It can be worse than that, as many people build their own identity around an editor. They buy T-shirts, follow all the forums, put stickers on their computer etc. Amusingly enough, these cheerleaders do not typically contribute any code.

True, that's not very minimalist of them.

Ultimate minimalism to me is doing it rather than wishing it. No words just PoC. That's how the universe works, no plans, just immaculate doing.

look faggots just because you use it from a tty does not mean shit

Works for me (add set showmode to your .exrc)
Didn't exist in vi, so it's not in nvi either. But you can still select entire groups of lines or even paragraphs. For example, 9>> shifts over 9 lines, and >} shifts over one paragraph. Same deal for yanking and deleting, etc.
You can use command :1 to go to the first line of file, or you can map your own keys if you really want that gg (see man page on how to map keys).
So what? % key bounces on matching symbols.
More like GUI XD amirite.
Anyway, vi can do a lot, and you can search the web for .exrc to find examples and ideas.

Attached: nagi_no_asukara-19-chisaki-non_alcoholic_plum_wine-pretend_drunk.jpg (1280x720, 87.52K)

Nano > Vi

Vi is on everything I need to fix; from some ancient ass redhat install that manages an industrial control system to an irix system running an MRI machine. Screwing around on linux at home isn't a use case bound for a resume or technical journal.

disgusting
it's not even minimal
I once downloaded one of the first ever alpha versions of nano, and it had all the features I needed but it started instantly, where modern """nano""" takes 0.1 seconds to even start.
busybox's vi is way better than that crap, and it's more minimal as well.

and emacs has tramp mode so you don't even need an editor installed on the computer you are working on.

Irrelevant.

I think you're looking for ee.
vi a shit
nano a shit

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-23_15-35-10.png (556x316, 12.2K)

False.

Yeah these people just generalise all the time like they have some amazing insight into all the people out there working hard and having their own insights and thoughts. It's like shut the fuck up and be humble you morons.

Almost as bad as bixnood, saved for future fun-posting.

Some people make such a big deal out of a fucking editor they get stuck with one neurone for a lifetime.

Tyson didn't knock people out with criticism of their fighting techniques, he got into the ring and did it. No philosophy, dedication and focused work.

no thanks

Why not just copy the file after editing it in comfortable environment set for your needs? Why would an embedded MRI machine even have a text editor on it's non-volatile memory?

:set showmode

Just set a mark with mm, go to the end, then use something like d'm to delete the entire range.

On first line: mm
On last line: :'m,.s/^/# to put # at the start of each line in the range.

Just press 1G ("go to line 1") or put map gg 1G in your exrc if you really want gg.

True

:set showmatch

Learn the difference, it might help you.

The fact that vimfags think this is acceptable user experience is laughworthy.

That's vi, not Vim. In Vim you just Ctrl-v, select the area, shift-i #.

You could just put map V :'m,/s/^/ in your .exrc which makes it about as simple as Vim. mm at start, shift-V # (or whatever you want to put) enter at end. Same exact amount of keystrokes. E.g.:

mm}V# ESCvs.Ctrl-v}I# RET

Or just install this plugin, select the text and press gc:
github.com/tpope/vim-commentary

Fucking n00bs don't even know the difference between vi and vim. Much less how to make a simple macro. 200% disgusting!

Why do you need your data user, surely its better off with us anyway...

You miss the point ya fuckass. Any decent development tool in 2018, be that a proper IDE, or a text editor like Sublime or Atom that doesn't pretend the mouse was never created, has all this shit built in.

So does Vim. It's vi that doesn't.
You only have to do that if you use vi, like I said. In Vim it's unnecessary.

Woah, way to show you power level Bill.

Attached: 10you.png (303x311, 165.23K)

I don't know why someone would bother to type out this nonsense. Opinions indeed don't matter in this universe. Least of all this one.

I don't know why someone would bother to type out this nonsense. Opinions indeed don't matter in this universe. Least of all this one.