Tech blunders

>He uses the WiFi modem that the (((cable company))) provided him.

Attached: cable guy.jpeg (650x365, 21.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2018/05/24/500-000-routers-infected-malware-security-researchers-warn/640318002/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Built-in WiFi to be exact. (Hard not to use their modem)

>using the WiFi modem that (((Best Buy))) sold you

Can the cable company remote in to those built-in wifi modem/routers? It's hard to prove that they cannot, which is reason enough to avoid them. Plus it's probably made with the cheapest components imaginable.

Yes they can. And they do, although mostly for maintenance. One peculiar thing is that tcpdump and busybox is installed on my router although i have no access to either of those, AND my ISP's privacy policy says they may or may not log and process all my traffic. 50001 port is a remote port, and i can't seem to get the software to control it from the manufacturer.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-24 15-11-28.png (557x193, 3.44K)

most of the time those wifi modems are locked down and they're actually just mirroring the gateway and what you have is a virtual gateway.
if the main gateway is down and you can't access your modem's built in CPE web page then it means all your connections are pwned and you deserve it

I know they can remote in to the modem, but what about accessing the internet network behind the router? It's plausible that there are two subsystems which just happen to be encapsulated in the same unit, but I wouldn't want to make that assumption.

As long as you protect your internal network from the (((ISP))) and subsequently use HTTPS/VPN, then it doesn't really matter what they are doing.

Now of course, the question of whether or not they embed a MIC in those is something else altogether.

Meant to say, local network

Supposedly routers are affected by outside the ISP's network, usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2018/05/24/500-000-routers-infected-malware-security-researchers-warn/640318002/
It even has the British flag in the title. I wonder if it really was the Russians.

Why would they? They already own your networking channels and can listen on their side.

Because they can. Power corrupts man. If they have the power to abuse, they will abuse it.

Honestly, BestBuy should probably be burned to the ground.

Attached: tmp_10281-Bakker-Munns-trunked-sauropod-motley-Nov-2012-Darren-Naish-Tetrapod-Zoology-340-px-tiny_v_1521169724629353379.jpg (340x571, 29.83K)

I have the power to kill people, I'm in a position where I can do that without consequences, so, why am I not doing that?

Because what you said is a generalisation typical of pseudos, like, have you heard this phrase recently, little man, and is now repeating it everywhere?

People are different from one another, and cable companies don't do that because they can or have the power, but because they gain something with it.

Bullshit.

They can't decrypt on the fly, unless you're counting those NSA substations that hook into AT&T hubs.

I cannot think of the last time I walked inside of one, but what is so bad about them? They hire morons, and cater morons, but is there something else?

ayy lmao

Their model (and Apple's, along with most of the tech world's) is to keep people who might learn and know better later stupid and uninformed. This is destructive in a free society.

We don't live in a free society.

Lads, I want to use LibreWRT or whatever the existing project is called. What routers would you recommend for a domestic use-case?

Also, is there any reason I should purchase one modem in lieu of another? Is there a reason to discriminate between that of an (((isp))) and that of a (((retailer)))?

>Using (((internet)))

What kind of nigger cuck ISP doesn't let the customer utilize his modem of choice?
The ISPs in my region offer modems with data plans but those are always optional and incur some additional cost on top of being a recolored commonly available consumer modem with near-identical hardware and firmware.
Even shit like stationary 4G data plans don't explicitly force the user to connect with the ISP-supplied modem.
Local tech support does use third-party modems as an excuse to blame the customer for everything though.

Attached: walking_garbage.png (700x950, 304.45K)

any which use cable, fiber or satellite as a medium of transmission, since the encoding is probably not easy to reverse engineer

My guess would be to be able to distribute security updates to the router firmware etc because in the end it's everyone's advantage to do so and 97% of households would leave the routers unoatched otherwise. Also general jewness.

Sometimes I feel bad for you burgers.

funny enough the ISP-supplied modems/routers often tend to lag behind the base models from the manufacturer when it comes to updates.

We're talking about Cable modems, not the 56K modem you're running in Turkey.

Fucking cable man, it's so fast now that the CAT5 wires in my home are too slow and I need to replace them. I can't even saturate my 150mbit connection, maxes out at ~95mbit.

My neighbor does, heh.

I thought they stopped offering 56k service in the Sultanate?

Attached: avm-fritzbox-7590.jpg (4000x3000 97.51 KB, 1.21M)

What the point of customizing modem? If you mean ISP provided router, do not see problem there too - it's existence does not prohibit you from routing local traffic via your equipment, and WAN traffic goes trough untrusted ISP equipment anyway.

Exactly, no point in customizing it. Even if you did somehow put in your own LIBRE STALLMAN APPROVED FREE router, you're not in control of the next piece of equipment upstream. I suppose the difference is that it is the cable company leaving a black box device in your house, which could be spying.

Are you forgetting that when the cable modem connects to any DOCSIS system that it downloads bootstrap firmware directly from the cable company? You would some how have to forge this part of the connection handshake for it to work.

My tech blunder is trying to install a dual-boot linux on a Windows 10 with legacy BIOS even though the new linux distros prefer UEFI.

Attached: GURPS_anarchist_Screenshot from 2018-05-29 21-00-46.png (643x633, 164.14K)

That's probably for the best. Last time I left port 22 open to the Internet, I logged multiple attempts to brute-force my login password within a couple of hours, mostly from Chinese IPs. Non-standard ports are the way to go for SSH.

and what's bad about it?

Attached: lightning.jpg (1274x783, 77.35K)

was it the same (((researchers))) that used stock photo as bluescreen to fake they had a office ?

It was serious enough for the FBI to make consumer warnings, which is unheard of. And the FBI didn't say, everyone needs to buy new routers. They only said for everyone to reset their routers to factory defaults. What's your point?

I live in Arizona and have Cox, I have my own modem that I bought from the store. Is ISPs making you use their modem an east coast thing?

It doesn't matter. All DOCSIS systems upload the cable company's firmware to the modem during handshake. There isn't any way to avoid this.

Do you seriously think a UPS is going to help if your house is struck?

Not a burger.
How does your ISP provide internet to your house? Is there an ethernet port in the wall or something?
My internet is provided through a coaxial cable which presumably carries RF signals. Obviously the signal encoding is likely to be proprietary.

Most cable systems work the same way. They use an RF signal through coax that goes back to a box which assigns an internal system reference that allows for external IP packets to be routed.

That too. Think about if you can telnet into the device then what else is there to do?

Do Burger cable ISPs use proprietary outlets?

Lol, an UPS/surge protector may only defend your your equipment from electric shock which comes from the power line.
A close thunderstrike has a magnetic field which can generate enough electric current in your longer ethernet/power cables to damage your hardware.

Just run the browser in private mode so that you're 100% protected.

This is epic. Can we hit 200 replies ?

That is only true for American companies, as with all things USA, it is corrupt. The country exist only to exploit and make a quick buck, even if it involves stepping over corpses.

Attached: Liberators.jpg (1200x1619, 226.51K)

excuse me but it turns out that the acronym is DOCSIS, not DOCISIS
apologies friends, lisp guy, cuteposter, faglioli and makise kurisu

they can map your house using wifi

Here all ISPs are required by law to log all user traffic to catch le evil terrorists which of course never works

How to win this war?

Walk in some crowded area and put poison in someone else drink, now you killed someone. Or just snipe shot someone in a desert place.

pleb

this

That depends on what your requirements and budget are, obviously.
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v2 and v3 are pretty good cheap starters. ~700MHz MIPS74Kc (faster than a first-gen fagberry), 64MB RAM, Gigabit Ethernet and 3x3 MIMO 802.11n. No ac and no 5GHz though, but for ~40€urobux you can't go wrong with them.

I literally got mine from Dirt Cheap.

You can map a room and read lips using a wifi wave, there's a published paper on it.

Post DOI pl0x

Because the goyim know. They know...

The goyim know NOTHING! AAAAAAHAHA

the US economy would collapse without banks pumping credit into it, you have NO CHOICE, NONE! PITIFUL BEASTS

WHY IS TERRY A. DAVIS'S DEATH BEING CENSORED?