Classy Distro Thread

Not classy distros, just advice from non-ricers about distros.

Linux Lite
I used this distro initially because I wanted a solid solution to a crappy laptop.
It performed, and was very smooth and ZERO hiccups.
It's intuitive, fast, and agile, and allows you to learn the command line and have all of the misnomers of GNU/Linux
You can load it as a live version also, and peruse many of the hidden system files on most computers.

Also, I'm getting a new linux distro next week and I just want some direction. Thx

Attached: linux-lite-005.png (1600x900, 439.23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

distrowatch.com/
gnu.org/software/guix/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You might want to check out slitaz and alpine.

My personal favorite is centos minimal install and then just add a DE and a small handful of packages. It's lightweight and works like a dream compared to other things I tried while distro hopping to find the right solution for me.

Install Gentoo.

This, gtfo.

manjaro since you need training wheels

/thread

Distro hopping is fucking retarded. Unless there's something your current distro can't do (pretty unlikely in most cases), then just stick with it.

Just install gentoo faggot.

NixOS. systemd is a gift from God to fight with U*IX.

Attached: Oekaki.png (500x250, 8.09K)

are you sure it's not just some kind of bottle neck?
I had laptop perform terribly because of terrible RAM and replaced them and fit them properly (also error checked) then bottlenecks disappeared

16:9 at that res would be modern (around 2011+) so it would run any distro unless that's one of those top-of-the-line amd laptops on 2004 that are slow fucks.

post the specs of CPU and RAM
find the CPU name by running this on live distro
cat /proc/cpuinfo

This is what reddit actually believes.

WTF? Gentoo is fine.
--
One reason why a linux distro is a better OS:
Today, I did an update and upgrade on this shitty old dell laptop
During update and upgrade I was notified that roughly 2.5 MB would be downloaded to my computer
-y
ok - all done
sudo apt autoremove
removed 48MB of unnecessary bullshit taking up space
I am using MX Linux right now.
Granted, I have 3 OSs installed (Not VM'd) on this box - MXLinux, Lubuntu, and Kali - where I mostly use MX Linux because I'm just doing bullshit on the internet - Not even accessing my email. This computer is like my 8 chan computer I turn on while I am eating my breakfast drinking my coffee.
being comfy

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (600x579, 328.79K)

Ubuntu MATE.

+ Best DE
+ Best Repos
+ Werks

fuck off larper

Learning linux can be done on any distro but most people just think "what's the point?" but with gentoo(or even lfs if you fancy yourself a magister instead of a mere conjurer) the distro itself lives on you learning to do everything. This is what gave me the boost to go deep, because I couldn't get a working system otherwise. And because my autism couldn't allow me to not have installed gentoo.

Attached: 9313a4642bcc84f243b9186374ec0193c81b33dc076c8ebeb4e1536373048e36.png (1804x846, 1M)

distrowatch.com/
Start at 1 and work your way down, the description will let you know if it's suited to you.

Pick any, they're all gnu/linux at the core anyway theres literally nothing different from any of them.

The main problem with the distro appeal is that no one understands the difference between a hobbyist and a user.
Most autistic people who like to spout their distro as being superior often fall in the middle, where they don't understand quite enough to be hobbyist but like to think themselves as such.
And their too autistic to be considered a user because all they ever do is stare at it and never actually touch any core parts of computing.

I honestly don't care for the stance of "muh freedom" or "muh rice"
If you're a beginner who has no real function or need for more power or to autistic tune your system or the need for a decent programming workflow.
Windows is the right choice.

But, if you honestly have an interest in hobby software and operating systems like gnu/linux.
The best source of information is normally the source.
Try to cut out that distro middleman as much as possible if you can help it.
A distro's job isn't to provide information or let you understand software, their job is to get it to work for their own prebuilt ideals.

Fighting over distros is like fighting over who's got the better stick when both of them are almost identical.
It's the absolute most retarded thing about gnu/linux.
This doesn't fucking excuse anyone, because almost every fucker who thinks their distro is hot shit does it.
Debian, Arch, Gentoo, *bsd, Slackware, etc, They all do it.
The truest form of a person who considers themself to be a hobbyist would realize that it doesn't matter in the end.

Distros are retarded.

Does LFS has some kind of a way to automate the package management (updating, deleting, etc.) or you'll have to do all these things manually?

You could install apt.

That would defeat the purpose of using LFS in the first place.

Then don't use LFS then.

The only distros worth messing with, imo, are Gentoo, NixOS/GuixSD and OpenBSD.

Maybe Inferno or Genode and such if you're getting really deep.

Attached: 1533039878942.png (1400x1050, 97K)

I think NetBSD is fun to tinker with as well. But, good list.

Distro hopping is fun.

I've been wanting to try NixOS, but it uses sysdicks. How's GuixSD?

GuixSD is official GNU distribution. No proprietary software, no systemdick, linux-libre.
gnu.org/software/guix/

You're on point there. I am by coincidence only into gentoo, guixsd (nixos is shit in comparison imo), openbsd was a hassle but freebsd is my goto bsd.

I hated NixOS after 30mins, I almost fell in love with GuixSD after 30mins. Guile is a very clear configuration language, I could extrapolate a lot of my own stuff just from reading other people's configs which I couldn't do on Nix. Also FSF.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd

what a shit list. Gentoo can run all the DEs.

sudo apt-get install apt
LEL

Gentoo: Best distro hands down, being source based is actually a plus, many think that compiling everything is just a placebo speed boost, but I have a machine that renders fonts terribly on Debian and decently on Arch, I breddy much soyed out when I observed the literally perfect font rendering that I could achieve on Gentoo, and by compiling linux myself I was able to fix a bug that prevented my machine from powering off from linux (it just hanged). Yeah yeah there are other source based distros, but none of them make it as easy to customize your packages compile flags. Yeah yeah python and bash, it's really slow but it's still the most advanced package manager and there's no better alternative, for all it does it's pretty fucking worth it.

It's only the BSD's that can't run the latest KDE.

Using a fork of Devuan for a while called 'Star', runs very smoothly on a Dell laptop from 2006.

Yes, because there is no spoon

Unity

>>>/b/

Agreed, linux is about freedom of choice, that's until someone stopped using systemd, using linux without poettering's codes should be illegal.

Why not Funtoo?

You have to go back.

nigger

im contemplating installing devuan as 1st linux, what am i in for Zig Forums?

Not an argument at all you Poetteringcuck.

Don't get memed into Gentoo or the arch hate-train as a newb. If you really have no fucking clue at all, I'd recommend this roadmap if you want a reasonable chance at fixing problems yourself later down the line:

Manjaro/Debian (Don't trust AUR too much, try to make packages for these and see how it all fits together)
-> Arch/Artix (Again, don't trust AUR too much, you'll have to configure most shit yourself, but you won't have to compile very much yourself)
-> Gentoo/Linux from Scratch (At this point you should be comfortable with simple Sysadmin tasks, now you can actually do more than program scripts, you can actually fuck around with the code itself! If you don't want a stable system that is though, if you don't, just get comfortable with USE and enjoy the free performance boost you get for compiling everything yourself)

Artix > Devuan by the way

Devuan is Debian without systemd. It's virtually identical to Debian (even the installer is the same) which means it is a serious distro for seriousguys who have important shit to get done. It comes with a few GUI desktops to choose from (xfce master race) and a graphical package installer if you can't into the command line, but the whole point of getting into linux is to become familiar with the CLI and rudimentary sysadmin tasks, so don't touch the Synaptic interface until you can update your system and install packages from the terminal.

It really depends on what you want to do with it, though. You probably will not be happy coming from windows or OSX because it is not flashy or pretty. If you want something that is still linux but looks nice ootb I recommend MX Linux.

This is pretty much correct, Artix is also good (hard mode: install it with i3 only) but hold off on Gentoo for a while unless you are dedicated and have a lot of free time, it's not the deepend it's the mariana trench of linux distros. It will take about month to install unless you are a turboautist, then it might only take a week. Having a 2nd machine to read the guides/forum and ask questions on irc is extremely helpful.

LFS is a purely academic exercise, don't bother unless you are thinking of someday contributing to the linux kernel itself or you need to give yourself carpal tunnel so you can collect disability checks.

Just distrohop. You will end up doing it eventually no matter what. In reality, there isn't really a big difference between most distros. Lignux is mostly stagnant, so there isn't much innovation going on, so most distros just copy each other for the most part, and nothing is ever improved. I just avoid systemd. Other than that I'm just using i3 with the LXDE panel, and that's it. I don't know what the hell you mean when you say classy, so I can't help with that.

If you don't know what you're doing and want to avoid systemd, maybe use Devuan. If you know the basics, maybe still use Devuan, but I recommend you just try other stuff yourself as well. Distros do matter, but not all that much.

You're right. Those will actually give you a different experience from just using pretty much anything else. I'm curious about GuixSD, but I haven't tried it yet. It's great that someone is actually doing something different for once.

And informative, even if you just learn that it doesn't make much of a difference. Not really any other way to know for sure if you like something, you always have to try it yourself.

Attached: 2856.jpg (640x480, 86.47K)

i need it for daily use for uni and everyday life purposes and i dont want to dual boot or have it in virtual machine because i tried that and i didnt use it.i need to gitgut with sysadmin work too.i can do basic shit on linux but thats pretty much it and i lack confidence to fully wipe winblows because im afraid something wont work and ill get stuck.

i have a basic clue but i wouldnt dare installing arch because i would probably miss some important stuff and fuck myself up sooner or worse, later.

Attached: 13321fc611d4602532e24be061….jpg (554x459, 28.72K)

You are cool.