Ubuntu Core

What is this shit? Why not just have a normal operating system for IoT hardware? Fucking stupid.

Attached: DE6AF550-40A8-4606-AF9C-4B0F640276FA.jpeg (1160x634, 102.76K)

Snap, flatpaks and appimages are superior to apt/rpm.
Get out grandpa

Regardless, how do you explain the ssh component? Fucking stupid to me. You should be able to plug your pi into a monitor and use it like a desktop.

Attached: sel_i-wonder-who-could-be-behind-this.png (1520x1080, 1.73M)

You can get self-contained applications through static linking. And no they're not large or inefficient.

./configure && make && make install is all you need. If your build system can't do that and requires me to fuck around with broken overly complicated build systems your software is most likely shit and probably some sort of proprietary botnet. Linux rarely breaks kernel-to-user interfaces so there are no excuses for shitty software that requires its own environment to run.
Get out grandpa

k

How would you efficiently make a piece of software work on debian, arch, suse, fedora, etc. without having to make a deb/rpm/etc..?

Takes more effort and you'd have to sandbox it manually.

Your opinion is irrelevant.

Yeah man I just love compiling firefox / new gcc versions / other massive bloated shit.

Outed yourself.

Windows winblows

AKA stuff that doesn't release a new version each week.

Unless you use nightly.

Yeah I totally love having gigabytes of bitrot from installing and uninstalling various pieces of software over the year.

Why can't computers just be fun again? Do I need to write my own OS just to avoid the cancer?

Yes. The answer is to write the software you want to see.

you see?
Is this type of guys that is making /tech the reddit 2.0

Or you can stop using computers at all, because they are in fact enslaving a lot more than they are freeing you, you faggot. Now give me a fag, I'm cutting my wrist.

reddit's a lot more knowledgeable about programming than Zig Forums.

That's just a numbers game. Here, you have me and only a couple other guys, whereas reddit is far more popular. Reddit has a higher proportion of retards though, so Zig Forums is better when you look at the tail end.

JUST

systemd is legitimately great. It's the only init system on *NIX that actually makes for reliable service management. It's been an embarrassment for decades that even Microsoft was lightyears ahead of us on service reliability.

Linus is for snaps/flatpaks.

Linus is also for collaborating with Winblows. He’s dead to me.

by systemd`s logic we dont need many different distros or choice between applications, just centralize into one linux that will be lightyears ahead of Microsoft
*slow claps*

systemd devs never claim that, you spastic fuck. You have free will in the free software community, there are a lot of init systems you can use.

No you don't you fucking braindead kike. With systemd becoming everything's major dependency, soon bash and linux itself will need systemd. You are the tool of the Jew.

Attached: 1067c58501bdb4d2ec78b3181696c297e8570925d16ee1d00073c69fa465f503.jpg (526x592, 57.34K)

Oh boy I sure do love having hundreds of copies of the same libraries and coreutils on my computer. Truly great and not a waste of disk space in any way.

NO!
On Windows the operating system can provide an api for much more things. On Linux this portability is lost. Using Snap, flatpaks and appimages means that a 3 years old program will use the 3 years old OpenSSL.

Shared libraries are supported dumbfuck.

So?

But don't they hog unnecessary disk space by duplicating all dependencies? I think that's an important factor in embedded systems.

First of all, software cannot be Jewish, as it is not a human being. Second of all, judging by your capitalization of "Jew" I can tell you are a either a JIDF bot, or a braindead phoneposter.

No, any identical libraries can be shared.

Well, it is.

Yes, that's how it works. A samurai sword isn't a Japanese. A bronze axe isn't a Roman.

You're supposed to capitalize Jew, retard. It's a proper name. It doesn't take that hard to do proper grammar and not be a nigger.

Lurk moar newgaf

Have you tried sucking it up?

The whole idea seems like something Lennart Poettering would push for.

Only if they're the exact same version. This is just ceding to developer laziness and allows them to avoid keeping their software up to date.
Anything done for purposes of satisfying maintainer laziness is harmful. It will unquestionably lead to software getting worse.

You should fork the best DE out of the worst and fracture the market even more then. Surely we will have a proper desktop by doing this.

Runit seems to work pretty well to me.

Fucking this. Simplicity for the user is not necessarily a good thing. And centralization of software under one program, snapd, certain isn’t!

and this mentality is why free software will never succeed.

This isn't for pis. It's for actual IoT that only needs to phone home to botnet headquarters and not the user's system.

Nightly is for edge cases where people would already be compiling their own shit. It's not a standard-use system.

Fuck you nigger

Free software will never succeed as long as users refuse to have the mentality to take responsibility over their own computing. Users have every right to develop their free software as simple or as sophisticated as desired, they simply refuse to do it.

Literally FBI/CIAnigger botnet. Fuck that noise.

Anything that is appealing to the masses at large is shit, not success. What you're referring to is monetization, or as called by some people, Judaism.

It doesn't

I think I will like to make a distinction between Jews, who will get their name from me, J.W., and Israelites in general, who are the children of Satan apparently, in my interpretation.

Choose one.

Seems like it's succeeding pretty damn well to me. Free software is the base of most phones on the planet and most servers.

And taken further

Yes it does. You have to log into it using a Ubuntu One account through ssh. It is very much botnet.

You don't, idiot. I'm using several snaps on Xubuntu and I never had to log in anywhere. It's just that the Ubuntu Software Center on GNOME asks you to log in. If you can't disable that from the gui then use the terminal to download snaps.

Images can be built in layers that share a common base.

Then why the fuck are you here?

Just compile it yourself dumb dumb.

Sorry boss, I haven't got the task completed yet... still compiling. Maybe invest in buying me a FASTER libre Power9 machine?

Because I'm a witch and they burn them.

Have you ever ran a source based system before?

You ask it as though it is some sort of accomplishment. And I read your question in the voice of someone asking, "Have you ever go on a soy-based diet?" Tell me, is it the hours of compiler output scrolling on your screen which makes you feel important, or is it being able to tell people you run a source based system?

The answer is yes, and it wasn't worth it. While fun for a hobbyist (for about a day) it becomes impractical when you actually have real work to accomplish.

I was just asking to see if you actually had any experience or were talking out of your ass faggot.
Tbf source based systems are only good if you have a good computer. It's, not viable on a shitbox.

Ah ok, we can talk civilly. I did go through gentoo before it was a meme, but only as a right of passage as a bored teenager in summer.

I was a FreeBSD fag for a while, and running the current or stable branch necessitated a compile, so certainly a source based system. For anything production though, I'd just use a binary release, and kernel modules are good enough that it's rarely necessary to bother with a customized kernel.

For userland, the approach that I find works best is to use a hybrid approach of packages and sources when
a) You actually need to customize the build
b) The binary for your platform simply isn't available.

Using FreeBSD with the Synth package manager handles this scenario very well, avoiding all the sorts of mishaps which can happen if a person naively mixes the portstree and binary packages. Even then, 95% of the time I just went with the binary package due to convenience. Obviously for any bespoke server applications you build yourself, that'll be done manually with your finely tuned flags.

I did basically the same thing as a teenager(13) except i stuck with it. When you've used a sourced based system for ~5 years you get really used to compiling.

I personally think that the long compile times people talk about when discussing source systems are very exaggerated, you also only have to compile it once so unless you're constantly installing new software there shouldn't be much of an issue.

However i have used binary systems for my laptop and as quick and easy installs for my desktop. Binary systems are really nice for just getting something up. Like for example i used debian to run a minecraft server for a couple of months and it was extremely easy to just set it up, only took me a couple of hours before it was online.