ReactOS BTFS Boot

ReactOS will soon let you install on a BTFS filesystem instead of a FAT32. Neither the Linux kernel nor ReactOS have a definitive NTFS driver.

BTFS would actually be a lot better than having NTFS on ReactOS. No longer would you need to defrag your Windows(ReactOS) install. Everyday, ReactOS surpasses MS-Windows more-and-more.

reactos.org/blogs/gsoc-2018-booting-btrfs-works

Attached: gsoc2018-7_0.png (800x600, 30.25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PowUYedShYQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bootable when?

OP might soon learn how to use the catalog

Why doesn't Wangblows support more than NTFS and FAT in CY+3?
They could always ship it as an optional download like some Lunix distros do with h.264 implementations and so on.

I remember when MS was saying "ReFS soon". The same as "Iran has the A bomb".

ReFS is actually out now, though.

It's not even bootable and it'll be removed from everything but Server and "Pro for Workstations".

Booting off Bittorrent is impressive.

Oh, you meant BTRFS. Well, I guess a DOA filesystem makes sense for a DOA operating system.

I took it for a spin yesterday and it's actually pretty stable and functional for alpha, having a package manager is nice too. I hear alot of people use it to replace those ancient kiosk systems that use software that depends on wangblows. I would consider making it my main or at least dual booting with Ubuntu if it kept going like this.

It has been bootable for years.

Windows 2000 with WINE (newer) program comptability.
What more could you want? Its the perfect Windows.

I'm glad ReactOS is still alive.

Why?
EXT is faster, and XFS is more stable.
The extended features of btrfs are unpolished, and the last I heard, the devs have cut back on working on finishing the project.

What is this weird, pseudo-luddite obsession you have against CoW filesystems?

Maybe after another 22 years of development we'll have a release candidate.

An actual production-quality release in my lifetime. It's not looking likely.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but he's right - BTRFS is already a dying project. Some of us got very badly burned with the RAID 5/6 code that was supposedly "ready for production" three years ago, but wasn't. Some developers have admitted the codebase is a disaster and walked away. Distros have already started dropping it. The new hope for Linux native CoW is Bcachefs.

I'm observing reactos project for about a decade. Back then it was buggy piece of crap that couldn't run shit. Right now it is preety decent for a research os. I would say eight now it has better modern hw compatibility than w98. But 10 years...

Sure, from 2 different computers.

I just hope the recent jump to github will make the project more popular among devs.

microsoft is allergic to using other solutions than their own

Who?

>(((github)))
great way to scare away any woke devs

They moved there before Microsoft bought it.

btrfs being a disaster is nothing new. It was clear 6 years ago the project was fucked, and clear from 2007 that it was being designed by morons. Redhat and Oracle pushed it super hard and likely even shilled it because they sunk so much money in it.

Scope creep and poor management are not a good thing, user.
This change gives ReactOS no practical advantage over Windows, so it was a waste of dev time and resources.
Start focusing on the important stuff and they'll actually manage to compete vs Microsoft, but if they keep going that way they'll never catch up.

I am also not that guy, but today I got my first input/output errors on my butter fs.
Unless storing qemu raw disk images is somehow retarded and I dun goofed, I suspect the filesystem is to blame.
So, time to go shopping for a new filesystem it seems...

Jackals. It's BlueTooth OS. Learn your shit.

btrfs is just a beta testing rhel file system to be shipped on rhel stations. it's just another enterprise playground 'free as in free insane pre-alpha testers'
people who fell for it are just fedora wearing hipsters or someone who likes shiny stuff or empowered by ignorance

XFS for storage. never look back
ext4 for oses assuming you are sane enough to have UPS or batteries since it defaults r/w caching though you could turn that of since it was made by default to be prone to corruption or give you bad sectors from with forceshutdown+panic on an unstable system

also that is because ext4 is designed for high uptime computers that are (1) not prone to power surge (2) have power supply

Well, after spending some time using rsync to backup a guest's filesystem and sprinkling both the host and guest with countless errors, ending up with a read only mounted host (butter) filesystem at one point, I have succesfully migrated my guest to a new image.
The biggest improvement is probably due to setting +C on the disk image (now qcow2 instead of raw).
+C disables COW and some other things.
Guest root fs in xfs to see if it worked, and it did.
One thing though during software install (a bit under 2GB in size) this setup eats ram like a nigger eats watermelon and chicken.
Qemu went from almost nothing to over 3GB
It grinded to a halt the first try, but no mess in the host dmesg, just the guest complaining about cores being unresponsive.

Attached: Screenshot.png (1885x1044, 1.06M)

The real question is why didn't they just include ZoL?
It does everything BTRFS claims to want to do and has been stable for longer than BTRFS.

Linux niggers just hate it because a russian back engineered NT clone has more out of the box functiinality than any linux distro.

I'm a CP/M nigger and have no use for it, or anything else that needs more than a Z80 to run.

Attached: Osborne 1 with Gotek flop.jpg (641x474, 142.16K)

Care to link me to your CP/M TCP/IP stack and web browser?

A that point just port HAMMER2 to the linux kernel.
It's already out, it works, it has everything people want out of a modern filesystem (CoW, compression, deduplication, etc) and it's made by people much more competent than the linux atheists.

It's already been implemented for a bunch of 8-bit computers: youtube.com/watch?v=PowUYedShYQ
But you won't browse the modern web this way. Then again, I don't browse the modern web on OpenBSD either, sinde I only use Links and Lynx. It requires botnet hardware and software, so it's fucked by design.

Go contribute and make it happen sooner then.

NTFS has been self-defragmenting since at least Windows 7 lad. I've used an SSD as my boot drive for years though so it makes no difference to me

Attached: Dj49vluVsAADckB.jpg (1080x1158, 108.56K)

Nigger, NTFS still has severe fragmentation issues. The only difference these days is that Windows automatically schedules defragmenting to cover your lazy ass, unlike other modern filesystems designed to avoid fragmentation in the first place.

Attached: 6caa861ef48eba44f24d28c8ba30cbb1811f88cd3725a2faee8d1c440b83fa9b.jpg (544x512, 59.35K)

On SSDs sequential read speeds are waaaay the fuck faster (like 4x as fast) than random read speeds. Ergo defrag is still relevant if you want to squeeze out that performance.

Modern SSD controllers/firmware already do this transparently so software level defragging not only is not necessary but can also potentially shorten your SSDs lifespan

iirc NTFS tries to avoid fragmentation on a driver-level now but its still not ideal and Windows defrag is still necessary

DoA piece of fucking shit

What's wrong with passive defrag? Wouldn't that make write ops faster since they don't have to do any kind of resolution at the time?

I have doubt that active-fragmentation -prevention filesystems don't come with a trade off.

It does and that's why writes have always been faster on NTFS than on EXT. On paper Ext would be faster than NTFS as far as reads go but passive defragmentation mitigates this issue in practice

I also want to add that I think its funny how most Linux devs worship the almighty UNIX philosophy and then turn around and implement shit like Ext3/4 as the default fs of Linux. NTFS uniornically follows the UNIX philosophy a lot closer. "Just like have the OS defrag the disc on a usermode-level bro" and it actually works just as well. That said, we should all be moving away from both in favor of Copy-on-Write systems by now

Isn't it the same file system made by the one who killed his wife? like ext4?
>fell for the meme killall
you are what you think

That's ReiserFS you're thinking of. Retard

Ho-ly shit. This is probably the most clever thing I have ever read in my entire life. I have gone decades of my life and traveled the world talking to people. But this. This one my friends, this is the end all be all, most hilarious and original joke of all time.
I've never heard this before in all my time and am blessed today to see such jest.

No point, Windows compatibility has become irrelevant to me personally, and is increasingly irrelevant for more and more applications. Reactos has simply been too long coming to matter.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

More like ReactOS BTFO

You never want to defrag an ssd you fucking retard

if you don't live in a 3rd world shithole, power surges are extremely rare nowadays.

nope, windows just defaults to scheduled defrags on a weekly basis since windows 7.

ReactOS will basically be to classic Windows what FreeDOS is to DOS. Is it going to have a ton of installs? Fuck no, not even compared to Linux, but there IS a niche of people down the line who'll want this.

Attached: freedos-fish-laptop-color.png (520x292, 89.04K)

ENJOY YOUR POZZED OS CUCKFAGS

CoC is so prevalent nowadays that you may as well be demanding us to avoid products that were made in China. CoC isn't good, but avoiding CoC projects entirely would take so much effort that it's just not worth it. At least we're not giving them any money.

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST