Tales from Slapshit

Hollywood now has its very own open source organization: The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has teamed up with the Linux Foundation to launch the Academy Software Foundation, which is dedicated to advance the use of open source in film making and beyond.

The association’s founding members include Animal Logic, Autodesk, Blue Sky Studios, Cisco, DNEG, DreamWorks, Epic Games, Foundry, Google Cloud, Intel, SideFX, Walt Disney Studios and Weta Digital. Together, they want to promote open source, help studios and others in Hollywood with open source licensing issues and manage open source projects under the helm of the Software Foundation.

The cooperation between the Academy and the Linux Foundation began a little over two years ago, when the Academy’s Science and Technology Council began to look into Hollywood’s use of open source software. “It’s the culmination of a couple of years of work,” said Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) head Rob Bredow in an interview with Variety this week.

One of the findings of that investigation: Almost everyone in Hollywood is using open source software in one way or another. An internal survey found that 80 percent of all companies were using open source. “It’s a really big component of the motion picture industry,” Bredow said.

variety.com/2018/digital/news/academy-software-foundation-open-source-1202901261/

Good news boys. (((They))) are on our side.

Blender is professional-tier. The reason no one uses it professionally is due to software inertia. As more younguns grow up on Blender because it costs $0 and make their way into professional CG, professional shops will reach a threshold where the lead producers grew up and know Blender, and the kids coming in know Blender, so it makes sense financially and logistically to move to Blender.

After the inertia is broken Blender will receive improvements from downstream, will have collaborations in the Blender Foundation with professionals, on top of the current first-party progress. There is literally no downside to this.

At some point our reality fractured and a perfect piece of free software slipped through, and it keeps getting better.

Ok I guess one of Blender's major weaknesses for professional jobs is parallelism. Hollywood has greasy, greasy palms that can fix that.

Or the whole point of the (((hollywood))) foundation is to EEE, extend, embrace, and extinguish blender. Because they could make their own software/fork of blender and force people to use it even if it is shitty. Meanwhile the real kikes in hollywood will continue using photoshop/blender type stuff.

If the open source community is too weak to withstand an attack like that why do they deserve to exist?

If people can exploit charity to live for free why does charity exist?

Things exist because they're better existing than not. It's kikes like you that ruin things and then go "lol too weak to survive".

Blender is great you just need a dozen tutorials to figure out how the UI works.

The whole point is a bunch of morons will work for free fixing bugs on $1b movies.

If Linux gets better multimedia editing tools out of this, It's worth it.
That way I can stop bothering with winshit VMs

This.
Daily reminder that digital is pure regression. Not that it matters now, when the only good movies produced are korean new wave cinema.

Blender desperately needs a UI that's usable. It's worse than photoshop which is damn near impossible to just pick up and use. GIMP recently did a new UI and it's even worse than it's old one. It's amazing how UIs get worse as software gets older.

all of it was designed eons ago and nobody would dare change the UI because it would mean retraining every single ancient faggot who were using it since the 80s.

You immediately look at it as exploitation. You don't even understand the point.

After their Python integration Blender literally has the best UI on the planet. What would you suggest to make it more usable? Other than not being like Maya/Max by default.

People with experience can't see the problems newbies have because they know how to work around them. If I recall correctly the mouse buttons don't even work like in every other program. Mouse 2 usually moves the camera but not in blender.

I don't remember all my problems as it's been a while since I tried blender. What I do remember is having to fight with it constantly and then picking up Zbrush and a few other sculpting type programs and instantly being able to do what I wanted.

Mouse 2 usage is a fair point, and for what it's worth mouse 1 is basically useless unless you're using 4-pane view which I assume most people don't.

I think using specific sculpting programs against Blender isn't a fair point though. Maybe make it easier for people to get into sculpt mode if that's what they want, but Blender does a ton more than Zbrush/Modo/whatever and I don't think it should hide that.

They should

Posting the images included with that article because OP is a faggot or too lazy/shitty to post images.

And yes, Blender and GIMP are included.

Attached: aswf_infographic_source_080818.jpg (1687x949 2.26 MB, 38.77K)

Is it too young?

All they did was change the icons and default colors.

Krita is a difital painting program. They probably don't need those.

No such thing.

The reason Blender doesn't have many users is that the UI is as obtuse as it gets. Last week I tried baking some textures together into a single map, and I felt the program was antagonizing me. Finally, I wasn't able to do it because I got an error that shouldn't even have happened in the first place, and the error message didn't provide enough information to diagnose the cause.

Maybe it will change with the 2.8 UI update, but as it stands, Blender looks like a mess, and it is a keybindings and oddly named options festival, that will push pretty much anyone who is not a vim/emacs junkie away. Doesn't help that Blender throws everything and the kitchen sink in, and places all features as if they had the same level of importance, when they do not. Doesn't help that the docs are shit and seem like they were written by an ADHD riddled intern who has no fucking idea about the program. You can call me a casual all you want for not learning the program for two months before attempting to edit something, but compare Zbrush's interface to Blender, and tell me which one will people decide to try first

And all the icons are smaller and harder to read.

You can change everything back in the settings. Like I did just after I updated.
Only normies care about fucking retarded themes and one color icons.

I didn't know you could do that. I checked file, help and windows assuming the config shit would be there and found nothing. But no, only GIMP puts it's options shit under edit... in an image editing software where edit is already overloaded with options.

Thanks GUI designer, you're a cunt. Thanks user, you're probably a cunt too but I like you.

Look, GIMPs UI design may be weird to newcomers but you can actually learn it quickly and then you're pretty fast with it.
Unlike Blender. That UI is just shit.

I grew up with GIMP and Photoshop just confuses me

Photoshop can't do a single thing that you can't do better with GIMP 2.10.
With GEGL and up to 32 bits per channel there is not a single reason to use Photoshop anymore.

So (((they))) want to charge us for media made with free tools?
None of these give their products away for free.

Too PURE.
I guess I need to give the new GIMP a try. Ironically, the GIMP UI bugs me WAY more than Blender. I dunno, the "Blender way" always clicked for me.
if Blender gets proper model exporting for vidya I will be happy but FBX is proprietary, so NOPE

read

Both parties benefit. Company receives free community support, the community receives free software.