Opinions on ligature enriched fonts

Any of you guys using these types of fonts? It will take me some getting used to, but I'm going to try programming with them for day. This free font in particular seems to be quite popular. Definition included for Pajeet

github.com/tonsky/FiraCode
License: SIL OPEN FONT LICENSE Version 1.1 - 26 February 2007

Attached: ligature.png (1776x1008 384.56 KB, 229.39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

1001fonts.com/source-code-pro-font.html
btdb.to/torrent/V9OoBj9Pm9hng2XmXx6Vs3xoxrM866hBqAg.html
hooktube.com/watch?v=arMH5GjBwUQ
manhunter.ru/download/22034/PragmataPro.Full.0.823.zip
rgho.st/6yHkfwFbS
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Programming skill and fucks given about fonts are inversely proportional. If you ever feel a need to change the default font, consider an alternative career as a faggot and/or graphic designer.

Attached: blsmith4.jpg (550x415, 48.21K)

This should be a warning sign, OP. This is a font for LARP.

Emacs did this better 20 years ago.

Erlang is there too, it's not always a larp.

This only affects how the font is rendered, the underlying text is still the same.

meme

lol people who make hammer analogies should do the same as what said

Attached: PragmataPro_coding_font.gif (1700x700, 59.26K)

It was pretty funny when nocoders like yourself were horrified to learn that Linus was just using stock GNOME on a Dell.

But GNOME 2 was pretty good. Also, I hope you're not implying that tinkerer can't be good programmers.

I'm implying that people who have programming to do spend time programming and not fiddling with the optimal font for their five temperature widgets.

linux was mostly written by intel employees

Attached: Linus2.gif (356x280, 72.24K)

>Euclid did his geometry with just a stick and sand, you non-geometers think you need stone tablets wax tablets chalk paper CRT Monitors Tablet computers.

And you're implying something stupid. This idea that programmers have zero care for aesthetic is utterly moronic.

Nah user, REAL programmers use punch cards. You don't make mistakes, do you?

Monospace, regular.
Can't be bothered to change and it's clear enough.

I've never met an 'aesthetic' programmer who wasn't a jquery professional or text editor researcher.

To be fair, you've never left your basement, so your notion of what a programmer is, has been formed by hollywood stereotypes and your imagination.

I've been working in industry since '98.

That is a sexy looking font though.

You're a bit older than me, but just because we did things a certain way in the past, doesn't mean there aren't improvements to be had. That said, the longer you grow accustomed to something, the harder it can be to see a benefit to changing. That's not to say you're stuck in your ways, but just that you would not get much return.

Anyways, ligatures in programming languages aren't too new. Mathematica has supported these sorts of ligatures for years too, so it's not some recent soy-infused change.

If there are improvements to be had via the zen of programming aesthetics then they've yet to be found. Again, I know of no prissy fontfags that can code circles around their peers and no one ever produces a single living example in these threads.
Mathematics are really something else entirely and they have trouble communicating without custom fonts and TeX due to the age of their profession.

progamming ligatures are based on math notation and so into the trash it goes.

You're not making any sense.

Programming is not math and using a few math symbols was a mistake as it allows retards to think it is. Retards who think obfuscating == and = is ok because what's the difference. Now guess who the primary users of ligature faggotry are. hint:

To me that is an equality test.

lmfao you have an extra character for assignment but keep the one character for equality. You must write code with very few variables.

NO
Just. No.

The only ligature-infused font I tolerate is Sans Bullshit Sans. Everything else is designer faggotry.

I briefly tried this out when I ganked a kool kid's .vimrc file, and I found them distracting. It felt like I was looking at images instead of text, and it took me extra time to visually parse the characters... which kinda defeats the point. Maybe if I weren't already acclimated to standard text it would be nice... but nothing beats the ubiquity of standard chars. Imagine how retard-mode you'd be in if you were used to the ligatures and had to go without them?

There's no such thing as a "prissy fontfag", that's just it. You've concocted this group of noxious people in your mind that don't actually exist in the real world.

In the real world, it's "huh, this looks nice, maybe I'll use it", and they set their terminals and editors to it and that's the end of it.

Bitch, if you don't have a side of math with your programming and don't know what a < with a line under it is, kill yourself.

It pretty much is, you just add memory and states.
You do know the same symbol has vastly different meanings in physics and math depending on context right? And fuck retards.

The stereotypical soylent hipster webdev slinging jquery in starbucks on his macbook is often this guy.

x, y, z : Natural := 20;
Oh that was hard.

OP here. Yeah, my experiment ended early. It just caused to many problems scanning text quickly expecting to see the standard glyphs.

*too

Usually those fonts have the same versions minus ligatures, because some people don't find them useful.

WEW LAD!

Attached: 2189541447_285bdbc786_o.jpg (570x598 78.76 KB, 30.85K)

Real coders use Windows. Not virgin soyboy (((UNIX))). Only weenies use (((FOSS))) bullshit.

Attached: 1a279cd5ad6e3454d91d1dea36db78d87da399f9c8d26c1b9462e0091a039ee2.png (766x564, 38.7K)

It depends on the language how much it looks like math.
>>"23" == 23True>>"2" > "12323242"True
>>0.2 + 0.1 != 0.3 + 0.3True

Yeah and Sussman had a lecture about mistakes in calc textbooks because the notation was confusing.

Looks like Pascal.

>>>/g/

Attached: 04520cf26347c7c73e63519b83f8cacafa990b758fdc559e74a1183961091af9.jpg (935x2500 885.71 KB, 146.14K)

Yeah, Ada.

I can understand font autism, but whats the purpose of what the hieroglyphics?

This is perhaps the dumbest piece of shit I've ever seen created.

wew?

They are good, but the font in the OP is gay.

Now that's a bit of a stretch.

fuck off (((cuck)))

Attached: operator_ide2.png (1500x930, 62.83K)

Take our money!

Attached: Karlie-Kloss-image.jpg (258x195, 10.55K)

I'm making donations to KodeWithKlossy and BlackGirlsCode to buy two girls access to this font. We have to be the change we want to see. Match me?

Same here, those ligatures just obfuscate the real text. I would prefer to use actual Unicode symbols like → instead.

Can you point me to a monospace font in this style? It would be dank as fuck in a terminal.

I'll give it a spin. Pics unrelated.

Attached: PT Mono in GRB256.png (1920x1080 15.8 KB, 2.63M)

Faggot makes this font 8 years ago, still wants to get €199 from each new user to recoup his time.

Wanting to be paid for your work? Outrageous! Someone call the million dollar foundations for free labor.

Not so bad, I am moving from
1001fonts.com/source-code-pro-font.html

Currently have my editor set to `Pragmata_Pro:h11:cANSI:qDRAFT`
from
`Source_Code_Pro_Medium:h10:cANSI:qDRAFT`

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1024x512, 131.05K)

How big do you want your keyboard to be?

Mathematical notation grew in an age uncontrained by limits of typography. The choice of symbols is therefore based on what *looks best*. Programming notation is limited by the character set and by parser complexity, and therefore all but ignores beauty. I can see someone putting a beautiful equation on a tshirt despite having no idea what it means. The only time you'd put a program on your shirt is to scream "look, I'm so nerdy!".

But does this support all of the Lens operators?

You might as well use the font above then, which is a good stopgap until languages support unicode.

You wouldn't happen to have the latest version of PP would you? I'm about 90% sure I'm missing some glyphs

It also has a lot of noob points like "real time protection"
You can turn of defender completely via regedit or the group editor included in non consumer versions

cancer
Do you really want compilers to be dependent on Unicode symbols?

It's hard to keep up with all the cancer, though. My Pro version started having a little stutter on task switches and on looking into it they recently patched in ram compression to everyone's system.

switch to server 2016 datacenter

Why not?

Pajeet would overuse"💩" as a variable name.

Fira Code user here. Using C, position that on your larp scale where you will.
a ligature is exactly so many characters wide as the characters make it up. != is replaced by a ligature 2 characters wide. It doesn't break anything. In fact you text editor only replaces it visually.

Literally brings nothing to the table. But neat to look at. when

Source on this one? I am learning differential geometry at the moment and the notation is driving me up the wall.

That's smart, but I find that it then makes the spacing around the rendered >= strange compared to >.

Attached: same 5 chars.png (122x164, 5.44K)

I tested this for 5 seconds and than dropped it faster than a nigger would drop calculus course. I had to debug a syntax file containing a regexp with |> where obviously the > is alternative but it rendered |> together as an arrow.
Yes, but not to for a fucking font.

I grabbed the one of TBP. It looks to be from 2014.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:BN5AQLWDIJKYNIWHRUFKHGXJVHZB7KME

Is this the latest? Does it have the same issues you're having?

Attached: That's Fucking Illegal.webm (320x240, 85.83K)

There's this one too.

btdb.to/torrent/V9OoBj9Pm9hng2XmXx6Vs3xoxrM866hBqAg.html

Also check github for PragmataPro, a lot of soy boys don't really know how it github works, and they unwittingly share their pricey font for free.

Nice one my man.

Attached: ILLEGAL TECHNOLOGY.jpg (1920x1080, 245.48K)

hooktube.com/watch?v=arMH5GjBwUQ

I've decided, I like it and will continue using it. Nice recommendation, user.

Trying it right now, but so far I need a pretty large font (14) to like it.

Hmm, or 11 in gnome. Didn't like it though, having

Alright sorry for the faggotry, but I gave it a go for a day of programming and now I'm addicted to it. I found v0.822, please let me know if anyone has a later version. I'm not paying 200 Euros out of principal. 20-30, yeah ok.

manhunter.ru/download/22034/PragmataPro.Full.0.823.zip

AFAIK, 0.823 is the latest version.

BTW, those of you that hate ligatures should be able to just disable those glyphs in your favorite editor/terminal.

Cheers. Actually 0.826 is latest.

No such luck, doesn't load.

Dammit. Let's try this again:

rgho.st/6yHkfwFbS

user comes through. Thanks alot! Did you purchase it yourself, or get it from someplace else?

Argh, only the mono seem right from these, the ligatures are not present in the regular font.

stop

You know, there is a easy fix if you don't like the font.

It's called "Fucking make your own, faggot" you should google it.

Did you examine the code of everything on your machine? No? Then fuck off. It's like any other code downloaded from the interwebs.

Have you done so? Would you show an example please. I'd like to see what fonts people are making.
I tried making a frankenstein font with font forge from other fonts but it had some compatibility problems with the files I was using. They may have been malformed or some shit.

Someone who's mad enough to charge 300 eurobucks for a font would be mad enough to spread malicious unauthorized copies

You don't necessary need to make one from stracht, at least, not for a 1s try.
Try by taking something like System or Arial font, and dick around with FontLab or something.
When you start to familiarize, try making one yourself.

Start maybe by designing and paper and scanning, or do a Minimalist one like the font used in MS-DOS.

It's not that hard, it's just difficult to make something cool and useable. Making something cool is much easier, but not all font are really that practical, like the Planet Kosmos font.

Sure, I don't think paying for fonts is something we do today. it's no 80/90's anymore.

Also it's interesting, I didn't knew commercial fonts were a thing.
I guess that since people are selling their dirty underwear, I should have expected to see people selling glyphs.