ThinkPad (and Toughbook) thread

Not much Toughbooks in these threads lately edition. Old one hit 400 posts.

Attached: 20180813_001.jpg (2576x1936, 835.68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ruggedpcreview.com/3_notebooks_augmentix_xtg630.html
empowerlaptop.com/p/lcd-ltn141at15/?currency=EUR&gclid=CjwKCAjwzqPcBRAnEiwAzKRgS_gme1DiLux4knpVbS2XudA9qpAy4WhdEanatGt78ff9_4F_r7FwshoCVEUQAvD_BwE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And for shit's 'n giggles, look what I did: XP/Vista dualboot on the M6500. Now if only I could get the 2nd HDD working with a mSATA SSD, I could triple boot XP/Vista/7

Attached: 20180813_002.jpg (2576x1936, 796.23K)

Is there a brainlet-friendly guide somewhere for librebooting the x200? I don't get what youre supposed to do with the raspberry pi

Just buy a pre-librebooted one.
It's what I plan to do at the end of this month.

Nah I think it would be a fun little project to do it myself, I just have to figure out how first.

It's not like running libreboot puts any money in the freak's pocket.
unless you plan on buying it
like I do
fuck

First for X31 and X40.

x40>x31>x60>xAnythingElse

Dude, once you have the a programmer connected to the BIOS chip, it takes 5 (or 10 with slower SPI speeds) minutes to do everything you need to.
Check the coreboot guide on Github (it's the same you'll find on libreboot's site) or watch YouTube videos.
It's really not diffcult at all.

Does the X200T work with core boot or libreboot?
The wikis specifically say that the touch panel is still untested, and I need it for reading my doujins and drawing.
Also, can you flash using any old FTDI USB UART adapter?
I've heard anons talk about using a CH341A, but I already have several USB UART converters.

That is the only thing holding me back from flashing it.

[Copied and pasted from the other thinkpad thread]
Hey, I have a problem with my T410. The screen started acting weird a while back (making white horizontal lines and the way I would fix it was by pushing on the sides of the screen until it went away and I would add duct tape to keep if "fixed". One day it broke the screen and now I'm wondering if it was the screen being fucked or if it was the hinges (they're normal nothing seems wrong with them). Should I buy a screen of the whole upper part of a T410 ?

Lines through the display that are "fixed" by pressing the display's controller ribbons located around the edge are an indication that the screen is failing.
The flex ribbons which are joined to the panel are joined using an adhesive, which can fail over time and lead to the ribbon separating from the panel.
Melting the adhesive with a heatgun and compressing the joint might improve the problem, but once it happens, the panel is doomed.

It's not currently possible to repair this kind of failure outside of a panel fab.
Grabbing a screen by the edges which have flex ribbons will cause this to happen. That's the reason the back of LCDs have stickers which say DO NOT PRESS HERE

Get a new screen.

X32p > all.

t. owned one until I fucked up the motherboard

Attached: 20180224_002.jpg (2576x1936, 833.69K)

Fucking jelly, wish I had a MR-1, but even broken units are going for ridiculous prices on eBay.

Attached: itronix-gobook-mr-1.jpg (557x572, 58.87K)

That honestly looks awful; there aren't even computer nipples.

What distro should I put on my R51e?
this shitheap only has 1gb of ram

Upgrade it to 2GB RAM and install something like AntiX or Devuan.

OpenBSD should work fine.

But I don't get what you're supposed to do with the pins and everything and do you need a SOIC chip?

t530 as a college laptop?

Heavy, FHD screen is pretty awesome for a TN panel, dGPU option, quad core and classic keyboard capable.

You can LARP as a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for pretty cheap.

Thinking about getting a W series. Can you install better aftermarket mGPUs in the pre-chiclet models?

Attached: general_dynamics_duo-touch_II.jpg (1600x1200, 166.7K)

GD DuoTouch.. now that takes me back. Pentium III right?

Anyway, nope, they're not MXM/upgradeable, and even if they were MXM some """""whitelist""""" blocks it, Lelnopo did it on the W70x and again on the P7x models.

ordered T420 from bongland and got the bong keyboard with the blue BIG Dick Return key becaus i'm a BIG BOY

Attached: t410.jpg (900x461, 330.44K)

Got that one too
The left shift is a pain in the arse to press

Attached: prisonschool84.png (516x440, 156.67K)

I have a UK keyboard on my P50 and I kind of hate it.

I just use US layout with it lol

Attached: 1534315914290.jpg (216x250, 4.26K)

madman

Anyone know where the fuck I can find a T440s replacement (backlit) keyboard? Or god forbid just a key

fleabay

I fucked around with RivaTuner on my M40 w/ Quadro2 Go earlier, with 166/400 Core/RAM I can hit 40-50 FPS in Deus Ex's training level at 1024x768 Medium, not bad me thinks!

Still need to get some 860 Evos for the M6500, but I can't be arsed to spend money on a almost 9 year old system. and i'm waiting for Zen 2 and the 250GB 860's to drop below 60€

Oh, and I bought a battery for my M6500, let's hope this chinkshit battery won't burn down my house or at least work without shutting down.

This made me think though, since this Quadro2 has seen better days: would I get a insane performance increase in Deus Ex if I would replace it with the Precision M50's Quadro4?

Top left corner niggerlover

FUCK my life. it's exactly the same chinkshit one I bought used while on vacantion.

Let's hope those faggots take it backwithout much hassle.

x31 > x40
adios

Just tried out the SteamPlay thing, I can get a solid 60 FPS on my M6500 in Deus Ex, awesome! Haven't tried more intensive games like FoNV or GTAV yet though.

where is kutge when you need him

Playing BeamNG under Windows sadly, because BeamNG on SteamPlay just gives me some crypic error

Went to my local computer dude, found out he had several disassembled M6500's and a part I needed: the PC Card/Smartcard reader assembly, with a eject button that isn't broken off.

Also got me a E8400 for a HP mini server, but I apparently fucked the motherboard up by connecting the fans incorrectly

And they did, no questions asked. Impatiently waiting on the 860 Evos to drop below 60€ so I can triple boot XP/Vista/7 or Loonix.

So last week I received my new (and first) Thinkpad. I went to a café with air conditioning to do some work because they had air conditioning.

The waitress came to take my order and was like "Oh is that a thinkpad?", she told me about how she was a graphics designer and was saving up for one. I asked her if she uses Wacom tablets and she said she had a cheap Bamboo one, I told her I have a huge Cintiq back at my place, she asked me if she might try it out sometime, so I said sure, she ended up coming to my place after her shift. I showed her the tablet and we watched a movie, somehow we ended up making out and it wasn't long before I was fondling her "trackpoint" 😏 and hitting her "X" key. This girl is really nice, and a bit geeky, we have another date set up for today, never thought a Thinkpad would get me laid!

TL;DR - My Thinkpad got me some trackpoint action and got me laid.

Very nice user, just make sure to ditch her if she ever mentions Deviantart.

I just acquired a T520 and I'm in love. Only problem has been that I had to install and unmute the mic in windows for it to work. I have the model with integrated graphics but I still want to play the occasional game. Does anyone have any experience installing a graphics card? I'm yet to take a look inside further than the RAM and HDD slot.

Only way you can install a GPU is swapping the motherboard and HSF assembly, and getting a 135W PSU.

God damn LARPers. If your "Thinkpad" got you laid then it's not a real Thinkpad, it's a Chinkpad. Yes, I am very triggered.

I've got a T430 which I've been thinking of replacing with a Dell E7440. I have an MSATA SSD running MacOS for work shit and Mint for personal use. The awful 1600x900 display and 60% worn 6 cell battery are getting on my nerves, and the Dell should fix both of those issues as it has a 1080p IPS panel and hopefully a non-fucked battery.

Ideally I'd like to just upgrade the T430 though the screen upgrades are not ideal from what I've seen. Any suggestions on other laptops or upgrade paths?

fuck off back to reddit

E6440?

I was not aware until now that the E6440 had a 1080p option, thanks user that may be the way to go.

gay

Attached: DVy7MV4VwAAaNnT.jpg (960x960, 125.1K)

*teleports behind you*
*disconnects your cintix*
Heh... nothing personal kid...
Piss off Lenovo viral marketing team.

Attached: 2A63AEB9-DC44-425B-B005-4889A9DA47AE.png (500x640, 518.96K)

Found out the lid of my M40 is cracked, brb kill myself.

Or I can just order a C8xx lid for a few bucks and be done with it I suppose.

that tattoo is about as gay as this image

Attached: lmao.PNG (256x256, 116.6K)

Wow, lids for the C8xx series are more expensive than I thought. Found some very cheap CF-19 Mk5's on eBay though, no caddies but with batteries and chargers, and undamaged lids. Might buy one, swap lids over, get a cheap caddy and resell it.

Do Latitude XFRs count?
I've got an E6420 XFR on the way.
It's gonna be my beater work laptop.

Yep, Haswell Latitudes and Precisions are god tier, if you can get by without NVME and NGW wireless cards.

Well, at least it's not a E6400 XFR with the bubbling screen issue.

E6420 have those issues as well, just gotta watch out for them.

It's just the nature of that style touchscreen

And, if I recall, the E6400 XFR wasn't really even a Dell, they were an Augmentix design bought out by Dell

D630 XFR is a Augmentix design: ruggedpcreview.com/3_notebooks_augmentix_xtg630.html

Have a seller asking $140 for a T420 with a i5. Should I?

What are specs ? RAM ? SSD ?

A bit expensive if 4GB/HDD combo..

From the seller page:Has 320GB Hard Drive with 4GB of Ram. Screen size is 14 inches. The OS is Windows 7.
About all they described. I'm planning on it replacing a T400 with Libreboot, putting Coreboot on it and using ME Cleaner too for use a daily.

You could eventually save a few bucks asking about the battery condition. It's up to you, not a terrible price after all.
T420 is great with coreboot indeed

I too fell for the memepad. Really happy though. Modding a QX9300 was a pits, due to libreboot having no proper docs on it. Thank god libreboot IRC guided my dumb ass through all the difficulties. Temps are awesome, fan is quiet.
My non-desktop daily driver for years to come.

Attached: img.jpg (1413x1884, 239.32K)

Which one?

why do these old portable computers and even the newer ones sell for so much?

os?

Deepin...
...whilst I'm still fighting through the gentoo handbook.

T440s has a shit touchpad, so I'd say go for the T460s. Skylake is a nice plus too.

Rarity. Something like a CF-U1 is far more common but useless because Atom CPUs.

What's difference between T520 and W520?

Attached: faggt-fourchan-trash-17785788.jpg (697x768, 155.84K)

Quad cores, Quadro GPU, 32GB RAM max, that's about it.

I was recommended a thinkpad from my friend a few years ago and fucking love it - last week it finally died. I'm looking to buy a new one, can someone recommend me their favorite type?

xx30 if you really need a Classic Keyboard, otherwise a T or P series.

Fix it you mongoloid.

Please make proper docs and post.

Love my X220

Yeah, will contribute to the wiki when I get to it sometime next month explaining how to do it.

And done. Really impressed so far with its power. Popped in the old SSD out of the other and it booted with no issue.

What about the ergonomics? How does the keyboard compare to the Thkinpad one?

Depends. If you care about color accuracy, go for the T440s (if and only if it has the FHD panel, the trackpad is easy to upgrade if that concerns you); otherwise the only good T460s is the WQHD one which is probably not the one you found ($450 seems too cheap for it).

If you don't need color accuracy, do what you want. They're pretty similar machines, the performance gap is there but it's on the small side.

Hey, is it a good screen for a thinkpad T410 or not? It says it's for E46A, E46L, T410 and it's the right size but it's the first time I'm buying individual parts like this.

empowerlaptop.com/p/lcd-ltn141at15/?currency=EUR&gclid=CjwKCAjwzqPcBRAnEiwAzKRgS_gme1DiLux4knpVbS2XudA9qpAy4WhdEanatGt78ff9_4F_r7FwshoCVEUQAvD_BwE

Your friend died? I'm very sorry for your loss.

if the t440s is anything like the t440p the panel is a piss easy replacement.
I had the 1336x768 cancer panel and the 1080p IPS panel was well worth doing. get a legit panel, if it's labeled "compatible" stay away.

FUCK YEAH! Finally found a lid for my CF-19, and it's in Europe too so I won't get assraped with customs fees.

I baked the GPU from that thing last week, seems to have fixed the artifacting issues. Still having issues with resuming from hibernation and standby however.

Update on my Rugged Latitude, it arrived, and it's glorious.

The touchscreen has no bubbles, and works perfectly, the rubberized keyboard is fantastically quiet, and the dedicated GPS chip works flawlessly with google earth.

Attached: IMG_20180902_151311.jpg (3264x1836, 1.9M)

Here's speccy shot

Attached: spec.PNG (779x467, 36.74K)

Does it have a clitpoint?

No, it has the sealed rubber keyboard

Why are they always filthy in pics?

Because they are purchased used, out of a business environment

You should drop in a i7 QM CPU in it, since it's socketed.

I've considered it, but I'm concerned about the cooling capacity of the machine with a QM in there.
Honestly, it runs great with the 2640M, so I see no real need to up my power consumption.

And shipped. Should be getting it later this week.

Found out Crucial put out some super cheap SSD's, the BX500. Might get two of them to put in RAID0 for that sweet 600 MB/s transfer rates.

Before the cleanliness of my laptop the cpu average temperature was about 93ºC. Now it's between 43ºC and 56ºC.
Clean your laptop.

Attached: cleanit.jpg (960x540, 60.65K)

This won't work if your laptop has a botched cooler design.

lol nice computer faggot

Much love

had a chuckle