Reasons for not using OpenBSD

I am looking to kick Linux out of my life completely, after using Gentoo for years. I can't take the normification, simplification and pussyfication of the Linux desktop anymore.
I love OpenBSD's refusal to implement democracy into their management, their emphasis on code quality and simplicity and cleanliness, but I'd like to know more about their shortcomings.
I'm talking about things like the claims that there isn't proper SMP implemented into it (and the latest stuff about disabling hyperthreading), the claims that any kind of hardware video acceleration is absent (obviously no Nvidia drivers but what about Intel's Integrated Graphics), the things about Theo de Radt hacking someone's router and remapping his keyboard, the rumors about Theo implementing bakdoors in exchange for money from the government.
Also, I'd like to have something like Gentoo's USE flags in OpenBSD--is it achievable using pkgsrc?

Attached: Enterpreneurship101_slide1.jpg (1920x1200, 652.78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports/wiki/Chapter-3#options_available),
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages
man.openbsd.org/radeon.4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

woah those guys look badass who are they?

Attached: DVqQpnTXkAA1kkj.jpg (1200x1200, 182.39K)

Gentoo is the be all end all. Everything else is just a downgrade my dude, I've been there. OpenBSD is borderline broke for anything more than a router or a common server application in my experience (and I have only small amounts of BSD experience). The "USE" flags that are present on modern BSDs are NOTHING in comparison to gentoo's, they're awkward and just a pain in the ass.

t. gentoo user turned fbsd, alpine, guixsd, etc etc user and then I realised gentoo is the best. Don't compromise, you deserve the best. Gentoo(tm).

Realize that although GNU/Linux is shit it's still your best option, embrace it, it's the best we have and it's good enough, realize no matter how many memes you try Gentoo always wins.

Maybe wait for Dfly to switch to Ravenports and for hammer2 to mature a little. That'll make it quite interesting.

gentoo guy here, talk to me about guixsd. I hear some say it lacks anything equal to the power of portage and use flags, while others say it's even simpler. Who's correct here? Regardless, GuixSD seems comfy and I'm gonna install it alongisde my gentoo soon.

GuixSD is functional package management done right and it is indeed very comfy. It's very good actually and probably what I'd use if I wasn't such a demanding user who can only be satisfied by the amount of control gentoo gives. If you're a smart guy you can basically extrapolate everything from just looking at other people's guile configs and with a bit of reading and practice I'm sure you can conjure up a huge amount, not the case at all with the nixOS diarrhea. Only thing lacking was proper documentation on how to put your custom kernel on there, the libre-kernel is alright but not 100% to my needs since I already have a finely tuned kernel for my desktop. It definitely has a future, also huge props to the dev team for not using systemD on it, the shepherd init works great.

how to spot a zoomer in one easy post

shoo shoo, go back to slackware thread

Anyway there's already an OpenBSD thread on the board here.

Attached: 0e8b4fe3.jpg (677x679, 57.61K)

Just use Windows, brah.

It's probably the best contemporary operating system, modulo the fact that linux-libre means you get no drivers and that encrypted root might be troublesome. I feel like the better option is probably installing Guix on Gentoo and hacking together something workable.

Guix itself also has the problem that it is effectively a desperate attempt to make a UNIX that is "purely functional", with all the difficulties of doing so tucked into the package manager, which makes writing and editing packages obtuse and includes the oddity that you end up resolving to shell commands anyways.

There's probably not a better way to do things than to have a completely new operating system, so for now we're largely stuck with partial solutions like Guix.

If you don't have a reason to, I wouldn't bother. I don't think the Guix people have the common sense to change it from something that mostly works to something people might actually bother with. In general, they seem to be more concerned with writing academic papers that no one will ever read and circle-jerking than actually using their computers.

Elaborate. Will Ravenports have Portage-like functionality (USE flags-wise)?

There are couple reasons:
Thinking that certain ideas are useless because said idea was executed poorly (virtualization, BTRFS)
Lack of packages
Lack of package maintainers
Binary packages only
Lack of documentation on things they don't want you to do (custom kernels)
Getting pants-shittingly mad at Linux users
Antiquated FS + lacking performance

There's support for something like USE flags (github.com/jrmarino/Ravenports/wiki/Chapter-3#options_available), but I don't know if the actual packages plan on giving as much freedom as Gentoo (including pull requests to do so).

What I wasn't able to find is if dependencies can be modified dynamically according to options and if SLOTs are possible.

Unless you're far down the rabbit hole, Gentoo is by far the best OS for your desktop if you're already used to it.
OpenBSD, in my opinion, is the better OS but it's heavily stacked for servers, not desktops.
Your best bet is just installing it on some spare hardware or a VM.
Also, I doubt Theo has been putting backdoors in the system.
1, the system is heavily audited and completely open source. He'd have to be fooling several security auditors to be slipping in backdoors.
2, he's a huge dick about the system, to the point where you can't deny he views it as his magnum opus. It's unlikely he would ruin his own life's work.
3. So far OpenBSD has been completely absent from all FBI leaks, some even listing exploits in other BSDs

But does it have my obscure ricer meme packages?, if not, is it easy to make packages?

It does have a lot of autism packages.
This is how you define GNU hello
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages

Don't listen to the absolute faggots in this thread. Just make sure your hardware is supported and then install it. There is video driver support for amd cards man.openbsd.org/radeon.4

fuggin this