Javascript General

What do you think of Javascript?

Attached: 8b458b661aef45287dd59eee28a1c09cccb943a5.jpg (634x423, 41.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

elm-lang.org/examples
ecma-international.org/ecma-262/9.0/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a mistake

A shitty language that has been refined to the point where it's acceptable, and runs fast for a dynamically typed language. The situation is similar to C++, where the whole industry settles on a mediocre/bad language then puts in the effort to make it decent.

Modules and packaging is by far the biggest problem with Javascript.

People push it claiming its the fasted scripting language but LuaJIT is still faster than V8.
They really would use it even if it was still as slow as it used to be. It's only used because it is popular, and once it is replaced with Dart or something like that, those same people will push that shit.
They are fad riders who trick the dumber VC firms into giving them money. They love buzz words. Remember how they tried to make node.js and asynchronous programming out to be some sort of new and amazing thing?

Cancer

People should have just used Lua for web languages, if any is used at all. I don't like its 1-based arrays, but it's tolerable, unlike jabbashit. Every single fucking pajeet programmer I've met likes to use jabbashit in the most awful ways.
was an actual fucking quote from some pajeet I talked to.

Attached: d265534b2930911e3a9c6e752fd57c51fd8ea41abfbf6b42a89c5c09eeafac39.png (923x728, 383.6K)

A shitty language with an exceptionally good heart. Despite all the objectively bad features of JS, using it feels good in ways that other more traditional languages simply aren't. I don't know what exactly makes it so nice, but I suspect it's the objects; they're just so easy to use.

Why do you say so? JS modules are pretty much equivalent to Python's. Actually, they're even more flexible than Python's modules.

I agree, but languages only become popular if they are pushed by some company, and Lua never was.
Fortran was pushed by IBM, C and C++ were pushed by Bell Labs, Java was pushed by SUN Microsystems, VB and C# by Microsoft, Python was around for a while, but only became really big when Google and others started pushing it, Go was also pushed by Google, Javascript by Netscape and later Google and others, and Rust by Mozilla.
Ada was pushed by the Government, and never became super big. Apple seems unable to make language popular outside their ecosystem.
PHP and Perl certainly rose organically, but they are even worse than the corporate crap. Academic languages like the Lisps, Haskell, and others, tend not to become very popular. MATLAB was never really an acedmic language, more of a script for calculations that was turned into a language.

this is the state of Zig Forums

The language itself is honestly not too bad after ES6. It is pretty enjoyable to write.

That's the only positive thing I can say. The language is alright, but every use of it is pretty awful. In the browser? Trash. On the server? Dear god why?

The community and ecosystem are terrible; installing any given package will probably pull in 150+ dependencies because the entire community.

advantages of generating the whole web page with [some programming language]
1. many otherwise silent errors become errors that your tools tell you about
2. a finished and functional webpage appears all at once, instead of some placeholder flashing like a hypnotic suggestion before the real page shows up
3. if you are also using a diffing algorithm (mithril, react, elm, etc.), then you can continue to update the page in way that's massively more performant than you could easily otherwise get.
JS sucks and pajeets suck but not everything they touch is garbage.
Go generate your entire web pages with JS with peace of mind: elm-lang.org/examples

good tool for red teaming

it's a piece of aids

sounds kinky

Javascript has nothing to do with the current state of the web. If it was fucking Lua then everybody would be installing Lua blockers and bitching about how cancerous all this Lua is every day.

The problem isn't the language in use. The problem is NEVER the language in use. The problem is, has always been, and always will be what you do with the language. The language is just a tool. The cancer is the pile of shit pajeet scraped into the shape of a circle using that tool.

Agree that JSON objects are nice to work with. Programming in pure JS, however, is an inconvenient bitch. Add lodash into the mix and it becomes tolerable.
Frankly, the Frontend/Backend SPA app paradigm that's coming in is actually a good thing - if done properly. This is the way the Web should've been designed imo. When shit was PHP for both frontend and backend it was an utter fucking disaster. For anyone that wants to complain about muh SPA pages being bloated - build your own fucking interface that calls the JSON backends themselves.

It's the UNIX philosophy to language design. The complexity of UNIX languages comes from bad design which prevents improving what's already there, so a new redundant replacement is the only way to "fix" anything. In my view, C++'s std::string and char* are one feature, character strings, that has two implementations and libraries. JavaScript has var and let, function and "lambdas", and all this other redundant bullshit. This also leads to questions on Stack Overflow with all these bullshit answers because they're trying to rationalize some artifact of a 90s JavaScript implementation as though there was actually some thought put into it.

ecma-international.org/ecma-262/9.0/
The semantics of JavaScript was "gee, I don't know, whatever the Netscape interpreter did" which was later written down and standardized, much like C and C++. Some of these new additions are useful, but it would be better to make a new language that does it right than trying to add everything to something that sucks. They should have learned that from C++.

But it's much worse than than because you need to invokethis procedure call before entering the block.Preallocating the storage doesn't help you. I'll almostguarantee you that the answer to the question "what'ssupposed to happen when I do ?" used to be"gee, I don't know, whatever the PDP-11 compiler did." Nowof course, they're trying to rationalize the language afterthe fact. I wonder if some poor bastard has tried to do adenotational semantics for C. It would probably amount to atranslation of the PDP-11 C compiler into lambda calculus.

i like its syntax. it can write some beautiful code. especially with JSON and objects.

and with webasm, its going to be the future.

I learned Python and PHP before Javascript, and consider JS the first *programming* language i learned.

I consider the others *scripting*

You are one weird little gay frog.

Attached: 90839954ef9b35bc741990a6d5b7c9cdfdc6b337.jpg (640x640, 30.08K)

You're trying to shitpost too hard

How can anybody like a language that doesn't even have ints, and assumes everything is a double fp number?
No. This is not acceptable.

Fuck me daddy

Ints are a low-level data type. JS is a high level scripting language, so such data types aren't really needed for most JS code.

As a language: it's pretty much just another shitty C clone, with warts that people call "features". I realize that if you program javascript like C, you are a retard who doesn't understand how to program, but that is beside the point. It's syntax and name were an attempt to steal some of the hype of Java (everyone involved has admitted it).

As a web technology, it's shit. Its duct-tape over a shitty system of content delivery (HTML), that throws all of that system's strengths away in favor of worse is better. The only good javascript could do is bring about a sea change away from x86 (in specific) and speculative execution (in general), but most people are too retarded for that to happen.

How would JS accomplish that? How do bugs at the processor design level have anything to do with JS? FUCK YOU!

Take a guess why I think you're a kike.

BASIC started with only fp (not that anyone has ever liked BASIC; I like it, in comparison to other languages; I also used a dialect of BASIC where signed overflow trapped). It depends on your target audience. If your target programmers are scientific non-programmers: they aren't going to notice a lack of integers. They probably aren't going to notice a lack of bitwise operations (what do you mean the number is in "binary"?). But then you can't add that shit to the language, either. Do or do not.

Everything that your browser stores is accessible to javascript. Does Chrome remember your internet banking credentials? I can write a malicious web page to recover it. Because code I control runs on your machine. There exist speculative execution caused side-channel attacks to read everything in the browser's memory (and for certain architectures, everything in memory).

If there's one data type that a language should support it's integers.

That is an issue for consumers. Big companies don't give a shit about that and will just issue patches to the JIT to fix shit.
The hardware bugs may lead to changes in processor design/architecture because of pissed of cloud providers like Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and the smaller ones.
If their virtual machines can't be properly isolated, or if the solution slows computations down significantly, then they lose money (at the very least due to increased power bill) and possibly customers, which is even worse for them.
But JS is just one of many languages used server side in the cloud, so it will not be key to such change in any way.

enjoy your language made by thirdworlders, retard.

I don't hate it, but I avoid it as much as I can. Full blown server-side applications in JavaScript is total insanity, and that's coming from someone who rolled his own scripting framework based on JDK Rhino before NodeJS was even a thing. I don't think TypeScript is enough to save JavaScript, because it inherits so much of its baggage, and in many ways, just introduces more moving parts that can fail (such as type models on top of existing JS libraries... what a nightmare for the incoming web programmers). I'm hopeful that WebAssembly will finally bury this monstrosity, and succeed where Applets, Flash, Silverlight, and GWT all failed.

Justification for a war on India.

This, right here.
The internet is replete with examples of limited tools used in ways often considered impossible.

It's likewise abundantly clear how powerful tools cannot save people from their own stupidity.

webassembly aka just run this blob, no thanks. I actually do audit js and allow it if it doesn't look nefarious, and lazily slap together userjs surrogates if it does. If you have ever audited anything actually useful (ie:not written in whatever the language of the day is), it would probably dwarf even the most bloated pos js. It's a hard pill to swallow, and most everything bad about JS is true, but at least you audit it with a minimum of sed, edit, and strings.

For the document-viewing use case, JavaScript as a DOM manipulator is totally sufficient, and is easy enough to audit. I'm moreso referring to the browser as an application container, in which it should be given a proper instruction set. The browser is moving into space previously reserved for the operating system, and JavaScript is not up to the task.

We use typescript for our entire backend stack, I can't even be moderate for the sake of professionalism. It's crap.

The name is literally javascript you nigger

he hasn't seen the javascript 'hello world' that consists of nothing but punctuation.

You use fucking javascript for your backend stack. Typescript is just a code generator for javascript.

It's much easier to audit webassembly than minified and obfuscated shit. You faggots will like it, the default form is an S-expression.

Typescript uses javascript as an intermediary representation. Yes, you're very smart for figuring this out, user.

No you don't get it. Why the fuck are you using javascript on the god damn backend?

eat a dick
hellow world:
This site can’t be reached
try.elm-lang.org’s server IP address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Agreed.
What would you have browsers run? What is the point of writing Javascript if not to be run in the browser?
Node has streams you can use for sockets, i/o, event emitters, and hooks you can use with C/C++, I think. It's easy to work with on the front end, well documented, and works as expected. Some libraries have built upon node's backend quite poorly. What exactly is the problem with a Javascript server?
It is not a monolithic community. The communities vary by framework and package.

It was supposed to be a LISP but corporate jews stopped it.

kike

Yes. JavaScript is adequate for its original intended use -- making it so web sites can pop up cute little alert boxes with YOUR_NAME in them. That anyone allowed it to escape the browser is a tragedy.

R has turned out pretty nice.

newfag

I tried learning JS when I was 14. Everything was going well until I came across its OOP...

Attached: Javascript was a mistake.png (533x767, 347.03K)

JS is the transvestite of programming languages.

areallyinterestinglanguagethatcanbeusefulinwebprogrammingaslongasyouonlyneeditforclientsidepurposesandcanactuallyreadtheshitthatmostpeopletype.

That's a problem with the browser, or more specifically, the DOM API, not with Javascript itself. Around 90% of the problems people have with "Javascript' refer to the awful DOM API.

Crockford had something called AdSafe to disable the most "dangerous" parts of JS to allow safe injection of code on any page, so that is (or at least was at the time) doable. Don't know if it's still possible nowdays.

Okay. So how does Javascript interact with the document? What kind of API model do you propose to allow Javascript to access the different parts of the document?

I don't think web dev has to be awful, but any time I'm mildly curious about it, the tools upon tools upon tools associated with it inevitably have me pulling my hair out. Something invariably breaks along the way and suddenly I'm wasting my time managing some bullshit dependencies or cross compiler or some other over-engineered numale shit instead of writing any code.

Compare that to my intro to desktop programming, which was writing a single Scheme expression into a text file and then seeing it work instantly. I could get straight to the heart of the matter.

I get that webdev has to be more complex because browsers are complex, but the entire ecosystem that surrounds javascript is so bloated, buggy, and steered by cargo cults.

No, the processor leaks data. Spectre-class attacks allows a JavaScript script to access all data of the browser, whether or not it is accessible through the DOM.

Fucking nothing. Run that shit on your servers. Oh, bullshit NIH gui's and all that other bullshit isn't cost effective now? Fuck you. Suck my dick. Noscript for life.

wow much complexity
webdev != javascript soycuckery

Attached: Java Plugins.webm (640x480, 1.42M)

Fucking hate it. Today I got this error for the first time. Guess I won't be going back to that joint. Not gonna use a fucking botnet javascript browser, fuck them. And cuckflare is shit also.
Now back to downloading early 80's games and whatever else doesn't need javashit and fuckflare. I"m fucking archiving all this because I fucking know the web is going to turn into even more shit and nothing will work anymore at all unless you have Windows Botnet Cianigger edition with Alphabet DRM browser. Fuck these tools and fuck all javascripts.

Attached: cuckflare.png (953x764, 47.94K)

(checked)
Fuckineh! Can't argue with those double dubs, either.

It's good and underused.

Someone archive that entire website already.

Enable when needed don't give it full access, if government wants to see your browsing history they can always get that from your isp.

Naw, I'll press

Pass

Lua is used in almost every AAA videogame to this day

This, you can write terrible code in any language, as well as overengineer and bloat everything to hell. The problem with current year internet certainly isn't that Javascript doesn't have an int datatype, or its retarded behavior on arrays, objects and strings in edge cases.
As for the moronic userbase, the same would be true for any other non-statically typed, high level, low barrier to entry language.