Valve is forking WIne

Could be good news for Wine development though.

archive.is/LfkzH

steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

Attached: 2fcf747f5102078bdfe6a79c4bc1341372783db5.jpg (788x1024, 69.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RZf2dik9DlM
steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
sndio.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If this means they're actually contributing to Wine and DXVK, then good.

Absolute kino.

Attached: 1194826e038531f797310f25a2bed909da551d353a2a335e0994f3e3f0e7dff8.png (2641x1896, 234.1K)

Lewd

Turns out it was Valve that started and funded DXVK this whole time.

Attached: vulk.jpg (3840x2160, 1.87M)

For what purpose? It already has a native GNU version. Or it should, since it's a fucking Ren'Py game. Salvato is a hack if he removed that.
*Laughs in Mir*

Attached: 6dc.jpg (400x384, 12.67K)

Wine will run in xWayland for the foreseeable future.

So it was Valve that made DXVK a thing. Interesting. Though this begs the question: Why did they make it C++ when they knew that meant they'd have to fork Wine since the Wine devs have a 'C only' rule?

Attached: alice-nakiri-food-wars-shokugeki-no-soma-z6022.jpg (3840x2160, 1.9M)

Because they couldn't be assed to write it in C. I really doubt there was any valid reason behind it.

From what I've heard a lot of games run fine using Wine it's the anti cheat and DRM that causes issues. You need to get pirated version to play them, this video goes into it a bit youtube.com/watch?v=RZf2dik9DlM

People have guessed it when the guy behind it was offered donations for his work and he said he was unable to accept them. In the comment section for the video above some guy mentions it almost a week ago. I've seen this theory pop up on gamingonlinux.com and phoronix as well.

Valve didn't start DXVK, they hired the lead developer so he can devote more time to it.

Either way, they're probably the reason it's in the good shape it's in currently.

Great news. I hope the code isn't trash and meets quality expectations!
I'm still gonna torrent steam nose vidya.

Holy fucking shit, does this mean I can run games like GTA V natively on Loonix now?!

Looks like i'll be ditching Windows faster than I thought!

If it runs in Wine, then yes.

You already could, DXVK just means you can run it on potatoes too now. The real question is when is someone going to give intel and nouveau vulkan support? Nouveau is starting with a spir-v to llvm bytecode interpreter. But intel hardware doesn't have any vulkan support.

Also holy shit this might deserve its own thread steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
So essentiallly valve is using DXVK patchsets with latest wine version for newer games. And for older games too straight from the steam client. Valve official owns the linux market for games now. I don't know how to feel about valve working directly with codeweavers/wine though. Time will tell.

You know what to do OP.

You forgot your manchild soyface.

Post more Qts holding wine glasses?

Attached: f9a63499a56f59365ced147757247c6b.jpg (1080x1920, 1.88M)

This is great news!

Q: I'm a developer; I wasn't planning on targeting Linux, how can I best leverage the new Steam Play?We recommend you target Vulkan natively in order to offer the best possible performance on all platforms, or at least offer it as an option if possible. It's also a good idea to avoid any invasive third-party DRM middleware, as they sometimes prevent compatibility features from working as intended.

If the game is already using Vulkan, it'll practically be native performance. And DXVK will get you about 85%.

That's literally not what the answer even remotely implies

Attached: 052ff8fb3c9ece85af8a1f99120f0c09575c77f9d11df733de8bcb0e81d5d688.jpg (657x634, 46.22K)

You mean kill it right? Valve hiring people never does any good for any one. They end up in a political slap fight the entire time they're at work and never get anything done because of it. Valve is the Microsoft of the 90s for game development. They buy up anything promising and then crush it with internal bullshit.

They released it today and wil provide upstream updates to WINE with it.......

It's happening.......

You realize this is based on Wine, which is LGPL, right? There is a limit to how much they can fuck it over.

If Wine actually becomes good, that will do more damage to Windows being the dominant gaming platform than native Linux games ever could.

It hurts Ganoo Loonix as well.

Next step:
★NIX-EXCLUSIVE VIDEO GAMES

Attached: voice-of-an-angel.webm (354x264, 128.52K)

So they have been working on Wine since 2016? Does that mean Valve is to blame for Wine's recent advancements, especially the amazing dx12->vulkan performance?

yes

WTF I love Valve now.

Seriously though, I'm still not going to use Steam on grounds of it being DRM, but at least those improvements will make it into mainline Wine as well, so everyone profits. Wasn't there an issue where TransGaming forked Wine into Cider and didn't contribute back, prompting Wine to change its license to the GPL?

I have one question though: Does this use one version of Wine for all games? The problem is that sometimes one version of Wine works better for a certain game than another one. PlayOnLinux lets me choose a different Wine for different games and that's something I have only seen in Wineskin so far.

You can manually choose which version of their new tool (proton, I think) to use. I'm sure you could configure this for each individual game through launch settings. I haven't tested anything yet because I genuinely don't have any good non-Linux games on steam.

Now you must have 50 versions of Wine and DXVK.
I don't get the point of Lutris. It does the same thing PlayOnLinux does.

WINE is native.

That might explain why WINE has been updated so frequently now. It's amazing what paid development does for a project. Imagine how fast shit like GIMP, Krita, LibreOffice or FreeCAD would improve if they had a company like Valve paying developers.
In an unrelated note, all these improvements (excpet DXVK) will make it to ReactOS.

We aren't at 5% desktop market share yet and mainstream GNU/Linux is already death gripped by every major proprietary software company. How is this a good thing?

I look at it this way:
If it runs on whatever perverted version of GNU+Linux they target, it will be easy to port over to an actually good version. It's a little like Poetteringware if his software would be any good, there are people like me running Linux free from his glow in the dark bullshit, but if there ever is a good or innovative part in his code I'd be first in line trying to fork it into a not spyware version.

Pulse is way better than ALSA. Cry some more. 🤷🏼‍♂️

SystemD may be awful and cancerous, but its sadly still far better than the old init system.

They're contributing to the development of open source software of course that's a good thing.
Even if everything in the userland becomes proprietary in the mainstream the kernel is still open and once we hit the mainstream everyone gets a bit freer than they were before and many more people will learn about free software. Focus on acquire soldiers not on getting everything you want right now.

Attached: 9ed00d83769587a17e13932280a703333bd5063cd2a2ef600e5903ccee20bff6-tech.png (649x831, 136.3K)

Both ALSA and PukeAudio Suck. Sndio sounds cool, but I think there isn't a port for GNU+Linux

sndio.org/

You might run into problems with software support if you're not running it on BSD though.

Valve should have just forked FreeBSD like Sony did with their Playstation OSes, instead of pile of shit Debian

How? Nearly ALL the "native" ports we've gotten so fare use SOME form of wrapper.

Why would this be a good thing? Valve needs to take their DRM cancer and fuck the hell off.

I agree. GNU is far behind other OSes (including fucking Windows) when it comes to sound and display. X and ALSA are absolute dogshit. PulseAudio is just a shitty hack to add basic functionality to ALSA.

Sony forked BSD because they didn't want to contribute anything back to the community, Valve clearly has no problem adding patches to the community. Also, Linux has far better hardware support than kFreeBSD and a bigger community.
Ubuntu. Unless they finally migrated to Debian.

Steam OS is based on Debian. Steam, as in the installable application, officially only supported Ubuntu.

Jewlywood was looking into that

Lutris is much worse than PlayonLinux imo.
Atleast on PlayOnLinux i can run straight winecommands and winetricks to it if something isn't working.
And their scripts are very readable.
On lutris i have no fucking clue what their doing.

On PlayOnLinux:

On Lutris:

On straight fucking wine:

Gui frontends to wine are a meme.
I can say that the good thing about proton is that i can still use normal wine commands when using it.
And having dxvk setup from the get go isn't bad i already have a script that on regular wine

Is this the new EEE?

and you think Valve's fork is going to focus on legacy software?

Perhaps that's due to wine itself just getting better over time. Now the frontends our only really good for making sure you get all the dependencies you need (sometimes it's easy to forget one when the program runs without it)

If anything, Valve is using EEE against Microsoft.

Krita and LO actually do get decent funding.

What dependencies? Windows programs normally contain everything they need.

For example fonts or windows libraries
nice meme

What? Are the visual c++ TM packages not contained in wine already?
I don't think the MS fonts are required but you can install them easily.
MS themselves made them available for Linux back in the day when they wanted them to become the "standard" web fonts.

Attached: Predator Laugh Ending.webm (208x160, 212.87K)

Void Linux packages sndio and supposedly it works really well for them. In a sane world we'd just use OSS4.

I remember when void Linux first came out I installed a package and he forgot to include the actual executable. LMFAO.

Not installed by default.

If Wine ever does get to be a legitimate threat, MS will bring the hammer down. You cant just steal a large companies tech and expect them to let you get away with it.

Well you could feasibly emulate Windows Applications with your own implementation of their Specs. If they'll actually do that is a different question. Try learning something about the technologies you spout shit about fucking LARPer

Do you honestly think MS couldn't shutdown Wine?

They can't. Emulating and implementing other Operating Systems and hardware is perfectly legal as long as you're not using the original code.

What did they steal?

They can, but the source code is out there for anyone to reuse. They can't do anything about it.

>inb4 all code compiled with MSVC will come with encrypted headers that need to be HW decrypted by the iME in order for the code to execute
Considering Intel-aviv can convince significant portions of its cucked luserbase not to run racist benchmarks on their CPooUs through some gay microcode EULA it's only a matter of time.
GNUclear war can't come soon enough.

Attached: Canada.png (311x332, 109.29K)

yes sur! but wine is not emulator.

Even better! That means there is even less to implement, as in it's more probable you can write the compatibility layer yourself with no code from microsoft copied, faggot

kys

Burying other parties under heaploads of baseless lawsuits until they go under having ran out of money and lawyers is also perfectly legal. Just sayin'.

they just forked it, not bought the entire thing. say what you want about their game development but Valve absolutely hates the shit out of Microsoft, they backed Vulkan and tried to make SteamOS a thing and were always pushing for devs to make Linux versions of their stuff. their past efforts didn't show much but DXVK is huge, why stop now?

Zig Forums pls go

4chan pls go

no u

If valve liked microsoft, steam would be on xboxand a subscription service like xbox live

btw, valve's game development team is great, they just don't focus on the things they should, pushing esports and vr instead of performance changes. Or new games. Or fixing the myriad of bugs still in tf2 from launch.

Lutrix is trying to turn Linux tinkering into a game console where you click a button and the game just works. A noble goal, but in practice it just causes more problems than it solves.

The big thing about PlayOnLinux is that it allows you to have multiple versions of Wine on your system. You could build Wine yourself, but then you would have a bunch of dependencies all over your system. I think the only sane solution that does not require a GUI frontend would be to leverage a functional package manager like Nix or Guix to manage Wine builds and have a per-game profile. Launching the game would launch a shell script which selectes to proper profile for the game and then launches the game through Wine.

Isn't that what prefixes pretty much already are?

fuckin checked

go back to Zig Forums is literally a 4chan thing, most people are Zig Forums here, it's the largest board on Zig Forums. Lurk moar.

They should still go back. They already have an active and popular board, they can talk about politics there.

You aren't describing a game console, you are describing a sane Os.
Configuration should be an option to tailor things to your specific use case and preferences, not a mandatory step before being even able to run the program.
The day Linux understands that is the day Linux starts winning.

And that's a bad thing, if you remember the shady things they were doing with VAC.
Valve wants power and control over users more than they want money, and Microsoft is only one of the many obstacles in their way.
Microsoft is an old world company, and at the end of the day their goal is money more than power: look at their continued support of legacy features and the amount of money sunk to keep backwards compatibility.

is wrong because of that, also because intel's stupid ToS change was received poorly, was broken openly by Redhat, and was removed shortly after: stop it with the blackpilling if you can't even get the facts right.

Wine will never be a threat to Microsoft, because Wine is not a product and thus comes with no support, no guarantees, and no legal case if it doesn't work as advertised: companies will not move to it, nor will most users.

Not how it works, stop trying to rewrite board culture to your liking. Lurk moar.

this reeeeeeeeeeeeee
i have 1k hours and some of the shit is so annoying

like he said, lurk moar.

Wine prefixes allow you the configure your Wine differently, but you are still using the same Wine binary. If you want to patch Wine in a way that improves one program, but breaks another, then you would need to Wine binaries.

Wine is about running (often poorly written) software on an OS it was never meant to run on. As much as I would love Wine to just work out of the box, this cannot be done. This is not the fault of Wine, Linux or GNU, it's the fault of the software developers who released proprietary software that can never be improved upon.

What is Crossover?

Wine isn't just a technology.
It's a unifying idea.
An ideology even.
Wine is like a recursive mother goose, it is not an emulator, that is it's meaning yet it obfuscates so much.
Wine is not just an idea.
It is all encompassing,
It is a structure, a feeling.
Wine.

EMBRACE
EXTEND
EXTINGUISH

What did he mean by this?

Embrace Win32; Extend Win32; Extinguish Windows.

WinRT or gtfo

Has anyone actually taken a look at the changes Valve has made?

yes, they added DRM to wine

Wait, for real? Source?

Considering they shit on DRM in the announcement, I'm pretty sure this is bullshit.

Does support from Microsoft actually matter?

Support from vendors of software for Microsoft operating systems, sure, but I've never known of a case where anybody called Microsoft for help with getting software to run on a Microsoft OS.

The only meaningful support Microsoft could offer would be for MS products like Active Directory, and 99% of that is self-inflicted because MS has made them so fucking obtuse that there's no other way to keep them running.

It matters if you're a wageslave.
Slaver companies always look to fire the lowest faggot that implements anything that might break.

Freetard devs are more against piracy than DRM'ed games.
Did you ever think about that?

Itch.io has the Linux version. I am not sure why the steam version lacks it, but This nevertheless.