This thread WILL be slid

What the fuck is happening with Linux's tty implementation?
Isn't there a better way to implement a text input and output environment?

Attached: case3.png (603x207, 23.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/console.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

With a self-fulfilling prophecy like that, who could resist?

Attached: 1435837962098.jpg (715x707, 66.86K)

What are you asking me this for? Go find out yourself

That feature set is standard for UNIX. Yes. it's legacy; yes, teletypes are extinct; yes it's ugly; no, being ugly is not a valid reason for replacing something older than 99% of this board audience.

Attached: 1423941093745.jpg (704x396, 58.32K)

What was the design philosophy behind the m68k AmigaOS?

Attached: 1471478751145.jpg (1000x1000, 92.22K)

no u

amiga OS had the benefit of being developed for one specific hardware (Amiga models only differed by cpu speed and ram, there's basically only 2 custom chipsets), where unix was supposed to run on anything.

This image WILL be ignored.

Attached: Smalltalk-76.png (608x808, 51.56K)

Supremely ignorant.
Are you saying an 68030 is similar to a 68000? Fucking retard. How about that variety of crazy video modes. How about all of those SCSI and IDE controllers, video card expansions & genlocks, professional video editing setups.

Linux on PeeCees is easy mode. Just because you millennial bitches are rewriting everything in jabashit and rust doesn't mean you know up from down, dogshit from dinner.

it's a pile of dicks, which is what happens when you use an emulation of a 100 year old terminal to implement a framebuffer. literally all your green text is a satire of linux. it doesn't have modularity, "everything is a file" is retarded, etc.

What's wrong with it?

HURD did it better gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/console.html

I didn't say that, but these variations did not influence the keyboard reading code in any way.

Well, that's okay. Maybe in another 35 years, they'll have it all sorted out.

Fuck you I'm on nofap 2nd week

Such is life of a terminal in CY+3.
On a serious note, catting a file causing the terminal to execute commands is a tip-top vulnerabily right.

S-source?

Attached: oh no.PNG (816x353, 199.5K)

CVE-2003-0063, CVE-2008-2383, CVE-2010-2713, CVE-2012-3515, CVE-2003-0020, CVE-2014-3121, OSVDB 3881

I feel like cat should be responsible and know it's outputting to a console and stop you, or at least give you a "are you sure you want to continue? y/N"

no??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
anti-sage btw

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in Bridgewater, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Goldman and Berkshire, and I have over 300 confirmed high-profile sabotages. I am trained in gorilla trading and I'm the top hedge fund manager in the entire investment banking industry. You are nothing to me but just another dollar. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of interns across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking bankrupt, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can ruin your finances in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed financial sabotage, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Bridgewater and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit debt all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking bankrupt, kiddo.

How about you as the user try not being a retard and stat the random file you're catting first. Alternatively, use xxd if you're too lazy to bother reading stat output.

The brain damage that causes that is the same kind of brain damage that requires you to use a program designed for concatenating files to display their contents.

Subject: Re: Design Cretins Date: Saturday, October 17, 1992 3:08PM You Just Don't Understand. Writing Code To Run Inside Kernels Is A Hard Problem. ... You can't just allow unbounded recursion inside the Kernel. ... Am I missing something? Couldn't this have been handled by a *loop*?And from another of your recent posts: The idea of using in-band "escape" sequences to do out-of-band control functions is so far from being Unix-specific that I'm not sure what you're trying to say.Yes, you are missing something. The whole damn point. Herewe have an obviously losing piece of software that is as adhoc as all Hell. It doesn't work and it doesn't scale.Typical Unix braindeath. That's the forest. You're lookingat trees.Re the second point about of-band-control. It is stupid andunwarranted to confuse keystrokes, cursor commands, andoutput glyphs into a large smelly stew. ITS got this right,so did other OS's. The fact that most everyone else fartsin public is NO EXCUSE for Unix to do so. This is softwarethat doesn't work. WHY THE H*LL SHOULD LISTING A FILECHANGE TERMINAL CHARACTERISTICS FOR GOD'S SAKE!?!You have obviously been brainwashed. You can't tell workingsoftware from broken software. If you don't have somehorror story, or some misdesign to point out, KEEP YOURPOSTS OFF THIS LIST!! Kapeesh? We don't want to hear yourconfused blathering. Go bleat with the rest of the sheep inNew Jersey.

wew lad

Do you feel persecuted? You little neurotic pussy.

Good luck user, pic related.

What the fuck.

Attached: zyklon b is our recipe.png (833x1210, 711.82K)

absolutelyfuckingdisgusting.jpg

people deserve their faith

showing anything to the terminal is a vulnerability. proper unix hax0rs run their shit through an alhpanumeric filter

We could have had the ultimate in user-developer motorcycles but we're stuck using a mainframe.

here's your (You).

No? UNIX and their derivatives are primarily command-line driven, so it makes sense to do this, as it allows for a more modular approach to driver development and generally makes the interface and behavior more consistent. I rather like not having to worry if my software's running on a VGA framebuffer, SSH session, X-Term, or honest-to-god VT100.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I'm yet to see a more elegant solution.

a terminal emulator is literally more work to implement than setting up a VESA framebuffer

Who is this titty monster

Yeah usually the BIOS can even do a VESA buffer by itself. Modern TTY is a god awful POS bloated system.

What model does *BSD use?