Was this book written by an incompetent monkey?

I got this book today because I usually like learning useless memelangs (i.e. OCaml, Jabashit, R, C#, FORTH, etc.) because there usually is some novel idea to be found somewhere. Now I do realize that Rust introduces the Ownership principle and some other interesting things, but this is about my experience with this book in particular. I am on page 56 so I may very well be wrong, but this has been my experience so far
i read the pages it referenced, he just explained UTF-8 chars and how Rust does strings and how strings are too complicated for most people according to him (projection much)
I swear it was worded similarly to this
Most languages that aren't Python, Jabashit or a C clone have this
inb4 most languages are C clones

Like I said I'm 50 pages in and the author is driving me nuts. I already read a shitton of books on specific languages and CompSci, but god this guy is obnoxious. I read some FUD about one of the authors being an antifag and both the authors being incompetent docs authors but I wasn't able to confirm much. Will this get any better or should I just accept Rust is CoCed Millenial shit like FreeBSD and move on? I actually like the language itself better than C, I just find most material unbearable to read.
inb4 "suck it up, it ain't that bad"

Attached: RustProgrammingLanguage.jpg (200x263, 24.01K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blackgirlscode.com
archive.is/X3RaZ
old.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/8u0ggw/trpl_is_releasing_on_amazon_without_customer/e1bwffl/
twitter.com/ag_dubs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most programming books are shit (o'reilly seems to be at least okay sometimes though) and I can imagine books for languages with rust's kind of audience are quite cringeworthy. However, proper handling of strings with actual human-entered text is beyond most programmers unless you consider them as opaque blobs.

Learn Haskell instead.
In case you didn't know, the authors don't make any money off the book. Everything they would have made is given to blackgirlscode.com

Got it used, thank god.

Ideally you should read languages by the authors themselves, or someone very close to the steering committee if it is a standardized language. Never read a book which dumbs it down, you're better off just reading the language grammar and studying the standard libraries otherwise.

*Read books on languages by the language creator themselves.

Steve Klabnik and (((Carol Nichols))) claim to be core developers, but from some quick research it looks like they just write crappy documentation. Klabnik spends most of his time on Twitter bitching about fascism and competing for the title of world's ugliest soy goblin while (((Carol))) makes soy babies.

Attached: soysband.jpg (400x400 445.07 KB, 22.21K)

Serves them right for expecting anything good from Steve Crabnick.
archive.is/X3RaZ

Attached: mfw chrome.png (768x432, 1.16M)

Why does everyone in the Rust community act like a child?

> Everything they would have made is given to blackgirlscode.com
Proof?

But, user, isn't that kawaii nano desu?

Attached: __furude_rika_higurashi_no_naku_koro_ni_drawn_by_furuderi_mayono__de9404e28d6e5ea3c04d1202704a9025.jpg (500x620, 250.68K)

I don't see how you could have any awareness of the Rust community and not have accepted it already. They're not quiet about the importance of "Social Justice" in their project "spaces".

They're also aggressively welcoming to noobs. By that, I mean not just that they're not Theo de Raadt-style RTFMfags who will tear newbies apart on the smallest pretense, but that they're basically the polar opposite. They've made it an official part of their CoC that every 70 IQ nigger ape who knuckledrags his way into the Rust community through a Diversity In Coding initiative will be treated with

TRIGGER WARNING: NSFV (Not Safe For Vegans) metaphor ahead!

kid gloves.

>We are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of level of experience, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, personal appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, religion, nationality, or other similar characteristic.
>In particular, we don’t tolerate behavior that excludes people in socially marginalized groups.

The CoC, btw, is so vague that it's basically moderator's choice as to what constitutes acceptable behavior. It's not really a workable policy document, it's just SJW virtue signalling that provides the thinnest rationale possible for a bunch of pierced, tattooed trust-fund communists to play social revolutionary from behind a computer screen.

I don't know much about Rust itself. It may be a fine piece of technology for some applications. But the Rust community is human garbage.

What the fuck is wrong with her face in that 2nd picture? Also, how does a woman that old even have a baby?

old.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/8u0ggw/trpl_is_releasing_on_amazon_without_customer/e1bwffl/

You do???

>write subpar programming book with your sagging Jewess fuckbuddy to fund a (((charity)))

Attached: 1433547542992.png (255x255, 96.49K)

How's it feel to be cucked?

People in IT are generally awful at explaining and teaching, and yet for some reason they keep pumping out books like there is no tomorrow. Writing needs to be a certified skill, there need to be proper writing schools. I don't mean writing as an artform, but writing as a technical craft, like how in ancient times being a scribe was a trade; just being literate did not make you a scribe.

Spoiler this shit, that nose is going to give me nightmares.

What is a char? A miserable little pile of bits.

Attached: 1497024327206.jpg (1200x1600, 750.74K)

Attached: steve_klabnik_3.jpg (1024x683, 119.92K)

Spoiler that disgusting shit.

He really does look like such a disgusting test-tube human, I don't understand why, though.

A serious question to ask these cucks is, why do we need blackgirlstocode? If the impetus is that they don't already, then what evidence is there that they're better than everyone else. If they are coding already, what's the point of the project.

I of course know the (((real))) answer to these questions, but it's always good to make a cuck defend his position for amusement purposes.

nice larp rustfag, now go away

this is your face on rust.

the incessant need of progressives singling out black people and women is psyop to reinforce the idea that these groups are inferior
over a long enough time line, their own medicine will cure itself

They'll take your question and use it to virtue signal about how racist it is to be results oriented.

Btw, it's the same people who can in the same breath without their head exploding say the right's abstinence-only push was laughable due to ignoring results to push ideology.

Rust, Javascript, and others have a huge culture problem. Unlike other people on this board I'm not opposed to memory safety or garbage collection, but I can never really participate in either community without running into a bunch of annoying faggots. Ostensibly intelligent grown ass men who nevertheless engage in performative retardation and pepper everything they write with twee lingo, emojis, and gifs. It's completely transparent and totally unnecessary.

:^)

Another issue is the bannhammer, everything is trolling.

What happens if you post as Deshawn James, a lipsmacking turbonigger who can't into rust and just drag it until they're desperate to yell troll? Do they force themselves to swallow each load or can they be pushed to an itchy trigger finger that will squeeze on legit boons? Would they start paper checking their blacks? Could be a fun project if we still did fun projects.

Christ, now that's a kikess.

Attached: 060445f7982683aa002a779d6f9441574e1148ee67a05937c833bb8ca5a6aa75.jpg (1280x932, 265.05K)

Why did I zoom in on the second thumbnail?

Because you wanted to enjoy her beautiful face in more detail, didn't you?

Intolerant.

>Unlike other people on this board I'm not opposed to memory safety or garbage collection
In performance crucial code like kernels, drivers, and firmware!?

Curiosity killed the cat.
It's like a car accident, you can't look away, can you?

I think I was initially trying to read the book cover, but good lord. Ugly even by their standards.

Depends on the specific series, there's the Learning __ Orielly series, the Definitive Guide to series, __ in a Nutshell, etc...

The definitive guides are generally the best followed by the cookbooks. IMHO of course.

I'm in. Just someone organize these ops because I ain't got that much time for this autistic​ shit

most books about tech are utterly useless and for people who are too lazy to actually use the tech or their brain to think about it along with the manual/spec
close the book and never look at it again. there are 5000 other rust books

I'll finish it because I'm a cheap fuck and I already paid for it (they don't take returns on used items, I checked) but after that I won't touch anything written post-2002 for a fair amount of time. I'll probably remember this shithouse book for the rest of my life though. Lesson learned.

The book isn't that bad, to be honest. You just got what you expected to get. All the spoon feeding would be much less noticeable and distracting if you didn't expect to read a book written by SJWs. Imagine how you would react if you thought that the book was written by Eric Raymond. AFAIR, the spoon feeding goes away after the first few chapters. Also, you can read the book online for free to avoid supporting the nigger coders.

The tech/computer sections in the bigger bookstore chains are disgraceful, so I have to agree.

Yea, basically this. Too bad minor fixes, and poor documentation is all it takes to be a core dev for meme/buzzword of the day langs.

Anyway I'm not OP but I'll take a good rust ebook if there any, for the same reasons as OP. If not whatever, PDF unrelated and most likely more enjoyable anyway.

Let's improve your book and change your language at the same time. Read this, thank me later kid.

Attached: Not a Rust book.jpg (342x445, 23.8K)

It's been a year and you are still shitposting, what a mongoloid piece of yellow shit.

I hate Ada and Julia, like what's next? Tom, Jamal, Goldstein?

On a serious note, Ada gives me literally no advantage over the languages I already use. None.

It's my first day here user. I like it, I think I'll stay.

Rust offers no advantages to Ada. None. Stay cucked.

But LARP-sama, people are actually using Rust.

if you can call them that

I thought the only point of Ada is that it's super safe?

Thankfully not in the aviation industry, gives me one less thing to worry about.

That applies more to the Spark subset of Ada. Ada itself is quite pleasurable to use while still providing the benefits of a strong typing system.

It's on my list of memelangs to learn. Hopefully I get around to it someday.

It really isn't a meme lang though, it's about as fast as C++ with a saner syntax. It's also actively used by real companies like Boeing.

They use C++ now and javascript in new projects.

WHY IS TERRY A. DAVIS'S DEATH BEING CENSORED?

Well, I guess I can still walk...

I have personally seen OCaml and F# being used in 5 different companies, still doesn't mean I'd recommend you learn it or that it isn't a memelang.

The fact that you are a woman on top of everything else gives me hope for the future of humanity.

What the fuck is wrong with her face in that 2nd picture?
Steve is a vampire. He sucks out all her energy to satiate his emotional neediness.

The difference is what it is being used for. If a language is being used for controlling something as important as aircraft, it's not just a memelanguage. We're not talking about the case of some accountant using it because it helped him pull data from a subsystem into an excel sheet.

The F35 has vital components written as addons for Internet explorer.
In CY+3, coding life-or-death stuff doesn't mean you're guaranteed to not be a memelord.

She's a Jew.

At some point, you pick the best language available to you rather than worrying about silly nebulous terms.

Does this Rust book have a cute tumblr/powerpoint/cracked.com image every three paragraphs?
I picked up "Build Your Own Lisp" and I haven't gotten to the first real task (lotta "learn C" stuff at the beginning) but I already want to murder everyone, everyplant, everypony, everydemon born after the year 2000.

I don't know what happened but somewhere at chapter 4 the writers swapped book took a drastic turn towards not making me want to shoot myself at every second sentence. I don't know why the first chapters were on such a mongoloid level or if I just started filtering the annoying shit out but now it's just info about the language. The book itself isn't that shit honestly but compared to a lot of the CompSci classics I've read, it does reflect well what types of mongoloids are prevalent in the Rust community

This. When it comes to learning libraries, I gave up using tutorials years ago and just started reading the source code. It's actually easier.

After that, I recommend looking at example code in the new language, just to pickup any standard idioms. Rosetta Code is nice for that.

Attached: theonion.png (860x695, 285.18K)

You gotta be kidding me lad.
P.S. Why the fuck Haskell? Wouldn't one focus on a programming language that employers commonly use? Like Java, Python, C#?

Hahahaha I'm modestly chuckling at this for almost a minute. That kid doesn't look even remotely related to that cuck.
My modest chuckling progressed into a hearty Kekking.

Attached: kekekek.jpg (226x223, 7.71K)

They must wager that more retards are driven off by starting with real content than non-retards are driven off by starting with dumbed down memes.

Have fun being a wage slave

It's a children's book (pozzing them when they are young)

Putting myself in children's shoes, I still will want to slap the kikess and go to codecademy

I don't remember the book being all that bad? Not sure if OP's pic is version 1 or version 2. In my experience crawling through pull requests and issues on their GitHub repository, its relatively rare to find any sort of SJWing of any sort; most discussion is entirely around technical work. You really have to be looking for it to find it because the people that *actually* get upset about the community around a programming language don't really do any work on the programming language.

Daily reminder than Ada is still the better alternative to Rust. The Barnes book is very triggering too. I can't even. The latest edition of the book was written in current_year - 1.

Attached: wedlock.png (1272x286 214.66 KB, 70.87K)

This too

Attached: it is current year.png (1068x196, 38.22K)

Well, Rust was written for blue hairs who can't manage their own memory in C or even figure out what gender they are. So the whole language was written for incompetent monkeys.

It was written by whites and 'whites' who champion diversity but forgot to implement internationalization in their own language because they don't live around or work with 'diversity' or want to.

Attached: 1446329615799.jpg (500x366, 72.99K)

I'm going to have to defend the Rust... things at this point. Yes, C++, and even C, is memory safe if you do it right. The problem I have with this is that you now have boilerplate code that has to happen around allocations to make them memory safe. That's either copy-pasted duplicate code that's everywhere, or, more disturbing, seven thousand implementations of the same memory safety. There has to come a point where you are doing something so frequently that the language should just do it for you, and have one (ideally correct) implementation.

Question: can you see the memory leak in the first line that is removed by the second?
std::shared_ptr = std::shared_ptr(new Object()); std::shared_ptr = std::make_shared();
Until C++11, the average programmer never used smart pointers in a memory safe way, because writing the first line is easy. And now we are either stuck with the possible memory leak, or have to go change all that code.

Top fucking kek, is this real?

Attached: 1366675236800.jpg (440x440, 90.58K)

The main benefit of the latter is exception safety, although I'll grant that it's objectively a superior way to write the same line. The former definitely comes from familiarity with older C and C++ code.

That's what the STL is; when was the last time you had to write a queue or managed array from scratch instead of just using a std::queue or std::vector? Even if you need something like a thread-safe queue (locking or otherwise) you just make your own with a wrapper around the STL class.

The copypaste problem is prevalent in basically every language. Even Python will have swaths of "setting things up and doing pre-emptive calculations for the main logic loop".
The STL already handles the biggest source of boilerplate: needing a common data structure. Boost's inclusion added the remainder of useful items, and only a few of those are missing. Networking support is rumored to be integrated soon (using Boost's ASIO model) and now they're floating a webview library for GUI stuff which I'm absolutely dreading if it comes to pass. The C++ committee being too eager to advance this late in the game is the single biggest reason I would consider jumping ship.
At this stage, most of the "boilerplate" is in the std namespace, though, and it's a good balance right now with a few things missing.

Ultimately the core problem is that C++ is a superset of C. They can't fix this without breaking compatibility. In an ideal world, smart pointers could just replace pointers at the compiler level. The compiler should be taking note of your first line of code and swapping it for the second. And while I normally hate compiler meddling, a lot of optimizations are done as it is and substituting one line of code for another that does the same but better is honestly not any more of an issue than unrolling a loop as long it has the same side-effects.
Otherwise, I value the control C++ gives me. Which leads me to...

This is my single biggest beef with Rust, Kotlin, etc... they don't trust programmers, but they do trust compilers, etc. "Oh it's a problem upstream with the tools". That's the mindset of shoddy craftsmen. A good C++ programmer is aware of the side-effects of each line of code and uses them intentionally. C++ has an immense level of expressiveness and control. It can be terrifying when used to great effect (see the competition for obfuscated C++ code that's actually malicious) but when used in production it provides great performance and reliability. It's not fast to write, but it's a language for programmers to express what the machine should be doing.
Having a compiler run proofs is a crutch for poor programmers. Yes, this is how bugs get introduced, but it should be viewed as a learning opportunity for novices. I can't help but feel that people like Rust because it does half their job for them and they push the "but the bugs" message because the only way corporations will even consider Rust is if it's "C++ but without billion-dollar bugs, guaranteed". They know it's their only real shot at a programming career because they couldn't write sane C++ code if their life depended on it and they had an expert there to bounce questions off of.

The solution at this stage is for people to learn how to be a better programmer and to evolve C++ so that the best way to code things isn't against-the-grain, but you can go in that direction is necessary. I don't like any language that presumes the needs and uses of it by developers. Any language must trust that a developer can use it to express what they mean.

Attached: 1450781007514.jpg (782x788, 282.97K)

Ada was developed for aerospace applications. That means a lot at companies that care about flight heritage.

Please look up the definition of what a superset is.

It isn't memory safe. You don't underatand what people mean by memory safe.

rust is for faggots

Attached: 1493889922761.jpg (2541x3000, 3.03M)

The thing that we have to be cognizant of is the sheer number of non-developers who are now developing software. People who are experienced in one field may know squat about software, and these people would like software that assists their field. Many of them go on to try to write it themselves.

It is the most horrible fucking code ever. Have you ever had to do maintenance on a piece of code from some random guy who is good at some other field? For instance, my coworker asked all nearby cubes if this code was even valid: switch (some_enum) {case ONE: if (some_condition) { do_stuff(); } else { do_other_stuff();case TWO: do_more_stuff(); } break;} So, what I want is a language that makes these people unable to write unreadable shit. It is an impossible goal, to be sure. But the language can help, and C++ is not that language. Shit, even Boost does crazy shit every now and then. I distinctly remember that somewhere in a Boost library is a definition of the comma operator for a collection-type that appends to the collection. That is some bullshit, and you then have to dig through the code to figure out what scam those motherfuckers tried to pull.

You're confusing memory safety and sandboxing. You don't need a FFI to open /proc/pid/mem and fuck with memory, for example.

Unreadable is relative. It's often used by brainlets who can't understand good code. We have the concept of "reading level" in English for this, maybe we need a "coding level". "I can read at a 6th grade level and code at a yanderedev level" or something.

Attached: Rust.png (900x1181, 461.44K)

< Your just too illiterate to understand
< i = j += k -= l += i;

You can write poorly in any computing language just like any human language, but you'll never make difficult things readable by a moron. Most "unreadable" code I've seen here is fine.

Attached: readability.png (858x531, 234.94K)

Rust is DOA, don't fucking use it, at all. It is controlled by people like this, somebody who raped the sockets of JS dry twitter.com/ag_dubs Your code will probably stop running when they try to integrate some kind of gender voice checker into the fucking compiler or some shit, maybe a quick scanneroo of the old credit card each time you compile to give to 'women'.

People who aren't true programmers should recognize that; they are the ones who should be cognizant of their abilities.

Languages like Python exist literally to be a language that enforces readability as much as possible (although it ends up allowing a lot of wonky stuff and then they just bully people to write code that's "more pythonic").
If they need to write more performant code then they need to learn how to be a real developer.
Boost can certainly be a mess. I think the best argument for breaking compatibility with C is that Boost libraries could feel less like bolted-on chunks and more like native language features. That would give C++ parity with other common built-in libraries without sacrificing performance or portability. The main problem is just that everything is a class when some things should just be migrated into basic types or functions.

C++ code can be readable or an atrocity depending on who wrote it and who is reading it. But I've seen some pretty bad code in nearly every language. The solution is just to educate people as well as possible on how best to do things and what decision should be made when and then encourage comments to explain some of the funkier or harder-to-read behavior.

C is contained entirely in C++ and a C++ compiler will compile C code and run it as expected.
Good tools are nice but you need to know how to use them; I doubt anyone working with Rust knows anything beyond "this compiler catches more problems than GCC so it's better". Surprise: code written in Rust still has bugs. Code written in Rust still doesn't perform as well in real-world benchmarks. Code written in Rust does not have a fully-matured toolchain, and it likely won't because you'd need to see massive adoption for it first and that won't come without the toolchain.
But a good craftsman takes the blame for bugs. They are the one who did not consider edge-cases. They are the one who did not consider side-effects of their code. They are the one who did not write a good unit test to ensure full code coverage while detecting regressions.

No language can fix that; not even Rust.

Attached: 1422399069388.jpg (580x580, 194.06K)

Wrong.
The C code in is not C++.