got it halfway working. At that point, I found it was hard to learn,
harder to get used to, and hardest to do anything useful since none of
the programs were familiar.

Two days later the computer stopped working entirely and would not even
boot. I spent hours fighting with it, tried to reinstall linux and it
simply would not work. I removed the hard drive that linux was on,
plugged back in my Windows hard drive, and could not make the computer
boot up. I finally took it to a computer repair place, and was told the
CPU was dead. Cost to replace was more than another computer.

Hundreds of dollars later, I had another computer, with more power than
before. Once again, I removed the hard drive, and installed that same
spare harddrive with linux on it, only to discover that hard drive was
permanently damaged. So, I purchased another harddrive, installed it,
and installed another distro of linux that was listed to be one of the
best ones. A week of fighting with installing it, and trying to make it
work, I finally had a semi-working computer. Another week of struggling
with trying to learn and use Linux, I was ready to give up on it and put
the original Windows hard drive back. The next day I removed the linux
drive and put back the Windows drive, and found the computer would not
boot.

Once again, I took it to the repair shop and was told the CPU was
damaged, and there was damage to the RAM too. Total cost was more than
I paid for the computer. I also took along the linux harddrive, and was
told that the drive had permanent damage (a brand new drive). The
repairman asked me what I was doing with these computers. As soon as I
mentioned the word "Linux", he told me that's my problem. He said Linux
destroys computer hardware, and said he wont even allow it in his shop.
He said that simply installing a self booting Linux CD can wreck a
computer in minutes. mostly destroying the CPU and drives. This is
caused because Linux sends the wrong voltages to components and burns up
the CPU and other chips. It also plays havoc with harddrives, and
causes them to lose their ability to read and write data.

So, here I sit with 2 ruined computers, 2 dead harddrives, and around
$1200 worth of damages and repair bills. (Not including many hours of
wasted time). Since Linux is made by a bunch of computer geeks and
idiots with no real business address, there is no one to sue. Both my
computer repairman and lawyer said it's worthless to even try a lawsuit.

It's just one of those hard lessons to learn in life.

All I can do is warn others, to avoid Linux like a deadly disease. Dont
even try it, unless you want to intentionally destroy your computer.
From now on, I'll just stick with Microsoft, even if their operating
systems are bloated. At least they dont destroy computers, and they
operate from an actual business that exists in brick and mortar, not to
mention having actual online and phone support.

Attached: index.png (329x153, 9.95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/xzama
youtube.com/watch?v=m3q2c1kfvio
github.com/torvalds/linux
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate
youtu.be/PHU1SVqhQI0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Suck on my ballsack

Attached: 14fzEpS.jpg (625x626, 46.7K)

But I don't see any bait on that hook. What a stupid meme

>>>/g/

What a knee-slapper!

Humorous anecdote, thanks for sharing it!

Way too vague, OP probably doesn't write much. If you replace the 3rd paragraph and make it about proprietary drivers misbehaving and bricking peripherals, then come back in a month or 2 and you might get a bite next time.

This is actually true. Linux is a European operating system so it was programmed to send 220 Volts to the chips by default. If you live in a 120 Volt country (such as the USA) you have to download the [US] regional version of the distro installation, otherwise it just fries your hardware.

Attached: images.jpg (267x189, 10.21K)

Zig Forums everyone... do you even know how electricity works??

heh Good joke. Even MS suggest to reinstall it.
Linux kernel supports more hardware out of box than Windows NT

Attached: caught.jpg (503x595, 34.9K)

what Linux needs is massive effort to make its core tech run better than NT

You chose poorly. It's natural that it would be extremely painful, for you.

t. also bait

Attached: bsdinfo_2.png (640x360 51.4 KB, 16.08K)

baitin

Attached: bsdinfo_4.png (728x357 51.67 KB, 52.63K)

You chose poorly.

Attached: bsd.png (446x619, 32.28K)

*hugs*

OpenBSD is a meme
SSD TRIM is vital to supporting SSDs, as without it, they degrade quickly due to unnecessary reads and writes. Sadly, OpenBSD has decided not to support this.
OpenBSD also does not offer a modern filesystem option. You simply get the very old BSD "Fast File System" or FFS.
Why is this important? Because when most people think of a secure system, they think of being resistant to evil hackers breaking into it. But that's only one part of security. InfoSec can be generally split up into three components: Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability.
In this triad, availability seems to be the one that's lacking here. Who cares how hack-resistant your system is if the data you're protecting is corrupted?
That's not even getting into the volume management stuff that's missing, and the snapshots, and the everything.
"b-b-but MUH BACKUPS!!"
What are you even saying? That bitrot all of a sudden doesn't exist anymore? That backups are the one and only thing you should do and should not be supplemented by a more stable filesystem?
You do realize that if the filesystem is not secure and does not protect against bitrot and corruption, your precious backups are going to be fucked, because you'll be backing up corrupted data. Who even knows how far you'll have to roll back in order to get to a clean state?
"ZFS is one big thing! Very not-Unix! Just combine tools, bro"
OpenBSD doesn't have logical volume management either. Even if it did, FFS doesn't have the checksumming, bitrot protection, etc. Even if it did, OpenBSD softraid doesn't support as many RAID levels as other operating systems' solutions. It's just a worse deal all around.
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really.
OpenBSD also does not have NFSv4 support even 18 years after its standardization. This is an issue security-wise because version 4 is the only one to offer authentication with Kerberos plus encryption with the krb5p option.
A common retort to this argument is that the NFSv4 protocol is "bloated", and that's why OpenBSD doesn't support it. Going off this, the OpenBSD project seems to think that authentication and encryption are bloat. Take a moment to consider that. It's certainly a very strange stance indeed, for such a "security-focused" operating system.
Let's of course not forget that OpenBSD lacks a Mandatory Access Control solution such as SELinux, AppArmor, or TrustedBSD, which provide benefits that are relevant to companies, organizations, and governments looking to better secure their systems and classified data.
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
"but it's open source! Someone could just fork it"
Oh yeah because surely they'll be able to maintain the entire OS
Actually now that I think about it, that really depends on the person/organization that does it. And they might actually have some sense and be able to fix some of the issues listed here.
It's official. OpenBSD would be better off if it shut down and was restarted.
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU C extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?
OpenBSD's pf has inferior performance, as it only utilizes one core of one processor. GNU/Linux's netfilter firewall does not have this problem. Neither does pfsense.

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168.29K)

Move aside plebs.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-09-01 18-17-05.png (806x601, 106.38K)

OpenBSD is certainly more comfy than FreeBSD
t.eri

You made up the whole story because you like being in M$ botnet. archive.is/xzama

Is this from that one guy who thought that Linux was just a program running on top of pirated copies of Windows?

masterbaiter

buy an Amiga. IBM compatibles are the gay

U turn on the switch an light turn on thats how it works

This is amusing, but it doesn't belong on >>>Zig Forums

This reads like a late 90s copypasta. Comfy.

When the bait is just right, I love it.

Why is that every time someone makes a humorous post that's not meant to be taken literally, we get a bunch of retards screaming "this is bait!!"? Is the Zig Forums community's social intelligence really so low?

Attached: uuugh.png (152x164, 21.02K)

hi opuntia

yes we're autistic

Channers have devolved into a bunch of hyper sensitive faggots. Ten years ago, those who took the Internet seriously were mocked. Today they pride themselves into believing everything they don't like is a personal attack against them.
Some even believe they're fighting some sort of cultural/ideological/political war online. It's ridiculous.

Watch out OP. That stuff is for hackers. For others who have kids and want to make sure that they don't become hackers, here is a short guide in spotting the warning signs.

As an enlightened, modern parent, I try to be as involved as possible in the lives of my six children. I encourage them to join team sports. I attend their teen parties with them to ensure no drinking or alcohol is on the premises. I keep a fatherly eye on the CDs they listen to and the shows they watch, the company they keep and the books they read. You could say I'm a model parent. My children have never failed to make me proud, and I can say without the slightest embellishment that I have the finest family in the USA.

Two years ago, my wife Carol and I decided that our children's education would not be complete without some grounding in modern computers. To this end, we bought our children a brand new Compaq to learn with. The kids had a lot of fun using the handful of application programs we'd bought, such as Adobe's Photoshop and Microsoft's Word, and my wife and I were pleased that our gift was received so well. Our son Peter was most entranced by the device, and became quite a pro at surfing the net. When Peter began to spend whole days on the machine, I became concerned, but Carol advised me to calm down, and that it was only a passing phase. I was content to bow to her experience as a mother, until our youngest daughter, Cindy, charged into the living room one night to blurt out: "Peter is a computer hacker!"

As you can imagine, I was amazed. A computer hacker in my own house! I began to monitor my son's habits, to make certain that Cindy wasn't just telling stories, as she is prone to doing at times.

After a few days of investigation, and some research into computer hacking, I confronted Peter with the evidence. I'm afraid to say, this was the only time I have ever been truly disappointed in one of my children. We raised them to be honest and to have integrity, and Peter betrayed the principles we tried to encourage in him, when he refused point blank to admit to his activities. His denials continued for hours, and in the end, I was left with no choice but to ban him from using the computer until he is old enough to be responsible for his actions.

After going through this ordeal with my own family, I was left pondering how I could best help others in similar situations. I'd gained a lot of knowledge over those few days regarding hackers. It's only right that I provide that information to other parents, in the hope that they will be able to tell if their children are being drawn into the world of hacking. Perhaps other parents will be able to steer their sons back onto the straight and narrow before extreme measures need to be employed.

To this end, I have decided to publish the top ten signs that your son is a hacker. I advise any parents to read this list carefully and if their son matches the profile, they should take action. A smart parent will first try to reason with their son, before resorting to groundings, or even spanking. I pride myself that I have never had to spank a child, and I hope this guide will help other parents to put a halt to their son's misbehaviour before a spanking becomes necessary.

1. Has your son asked you to change ISPs?

Most American families use trusted and responsible Internet Service Providers, such as AOL. These providers have a strict "No Hacking" policy, and take careful measures to ensure that your internet experience is enjoyable, educational and above all legal. If your child is becoming a hacker, one of his first steps will be to request a change to a more hacker friendly provider.

I would advise all parents to refuse this request. One of the reasons your son is interested in switching providers is to get away from AOL's child safety filter. This filter is vital to any parent who wants his son to enjoy the internet without the endangering him through exposure to "adult" content. It is best to stick with the protection AOL provides, rather than using a home-based solution. If your son is becoming a hacker, he will be able to circumvent any home-based measures with surprising ease, using information gleaned from various hacker sites.

2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember installing?

Your son will probably try to install some hacker software. He may attempt to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you can usually find any new programs by reading through the programs listed under "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel. Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".

The best option is to confront your son with the evidence, and force him to remove the offending programs. He will probably try to install the software again, but you will be able to tell that this is happening, if your machine offers to "download" one of the hacker applications. If this happens, it is time to give your son a stern talking to, and possibly consider punishing him with a grounding.

3. Has your child asked for new hardware?

Computer hackers are often limited by conventional computer hardware. They may request "faster" video cards, and larger hard drives, or even more memory. If your son starts requesting these devices, it is possible that he has a legitimate need. You can best ensure that you are buying legal, trustworthy hardware by only buying replacement parts from your computer's manufacturer.

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

4. Does your child read hacking manuals?

If you pay close attention to your son's reading habits, as I do, you will be able to determine a great deal about his opinions and hobbies. Children are at their most impressionable in the teenage years. Any father who has had a seventeen year old daughter attempt to sneak out on a date wearing make up and perfume is well aware of the effect that improper influences can have on inexperienced minds.

There are, unfortunately, many hacking manuals available in bookshops today. A few titles to be on the lookout for are: "Snow Crash" and "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson; "Neuromancer" by William Gibson; "Programming with Perl" by Timothy O'Reilly; "Geeks" by Jon Katz; "The Hacker Crackdown" by Bruce Sterling; "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland; "Hackers" by Steven Levy; and "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric S. Raymond.

If you find any of these hacking manuals in your child's possession, confiscate them immediately. You should also petition local booksellers to remove these titles from their shelves. You may meet with some resistance at first, but even booksellers have to bow to community pressure.

5. How much time does your child spend using the computer each day?

If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to DOS other peoples sites. DOSing involves gaining access to the "command prompt" on other people's machines, and using it to tie up vital internet services. This can take up to eight hours. If your son is doing this, he is breaking the law, and you should stop him immediately. The safest policy is to limit your children's access to the computer to a maximum of forty-five minutes each day.

6. Does your son use Quake?

Quake is an online virtual reality used by hackers. It is a popular meeting place and training ground, where they discuss hacking and train in the use of various firearms. Many hackers develop anti-social tendencies due to the use of this virtual world, and it may cause erratic behaviour at home and at school.

If your son is using Quake, you should make hime understand that this is not acceptable to you. You should ensure all the firearms in your house are carefully locked away, and have trigger locks installed. You should also bring your concerns to the attention of his school.

7. Is your son becoming argumentative and surly in his social behaviour?

As a child enters the electronic world of hacking, he may become disaffected with the real world. He may lose the ability to control his actions, or judge the rightness or wrongness of a course of behaviour. This will manifest itself soonest in the way he treats others. Those whom he disagrees with will be met with scorn, bitterness, and even foul language. He may utter threats of violence of a real or electronic nature.

Even when confronted, your son will probably find it difficult to talk about this problem to you. He will probably claim that there is no problem, and that you are imagining things. He may tell you that it is you who has the problem, and you should "back off" and "stop smothering him." Do not allow yourself to be deceived. You are the only chance your son has, even if he doesn't understand the situation he is in. Keep trying to get through to him, no matter how much he retreats into himself.

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called " xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install " lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

9. Has your son radically changed his appearance?

If your son has undergone a sudden change in his style of dress, you may have a hacker on your hands. Hackers tend to dress in bright, day-glo colors. They may wear baggy pants, bright colored shirts and spiky hair dyed in bright colors to match their clothes. They may take to carrying " glow-sticks" and some wear pacifiers around their necks. (I have no idea why they do this) There are many such hackers in schools today, and your son may have started to associate with them. If you notice that your son's group of friends includes people dressed like this, it is time to think about a severe curfew, to protect him from dangerous influences.

10. Is your son struggling academically?

If your son is failing courses in school, or performing poorly on sports teams, he may be involved in a hacking group, such as the infamous " Otaku" hacker association. Excessive time spent on the computer, communicating with his fellow hackers may cause temporary damage to the eyes and brain, from the electromagnetic radiation. This will cause his marks to slip dramatically, particularly in difficult subjects such as Math, and Chemistry. In extreme cases, over-exposure to computer radiation can cause schizophrenia, meningitis and other psychological diseases. Also, the reduction in exercise may cause him to lose muscle mass, and even to start gaining weight. For the sake of your child's mental and physical health, you must put a stop to his hacking, and limit his computer time drastically.

I encourage all parents to read through this guide carefully. Your child's future may depend upon it. Hacking is an illegal and dangerous activity, that may land your child in prison, and tear your family apart. It cannot be taken too seriously.

But user, this isn't so far fetched. There could be devices out there that default to unsafe voltage levels, and let's be honest, Linux more often than not uses generic/reverse engineered drivers without the help of the secret manufacturer's documentation.

Then retards like you have just enough estrogen in your fucking system to start bitching about it.

Attached: 02bbeb81-7b78-4b12-98d7-53d536b48135.jpg (1600x1446, 777.57K)

Nice pasta

i bet he somehow got to virtual terminal and thought the computer was broken.

like you're doing right now?
:^)

That shit is a classic you little turd.

I know, ^_^

I was just thinking to post this myself. I miss adequacy.org and Mr Gibbons.

go fuck yourself

This actually sounds is though your power supply was destroying your components not Linux. I've installed Linux over and over and over again all types of computers laptops and it's never destroyed one.

That's the LiveDVD, 'jack'. Try installing it on hardware or at least a VM next time if you want to pretend you're "using" "UNIX."

except you didn't.
You should have used a live distro until you knew what you were doing

rather like how I saged my initial reply.

hi OP! 6/10 trolling. length gets you above average.

here is a nice relevant webm to go with your thread.

Attached: cpu_cooking.webm (480x270, 311.53K)

If it wasn't on Zig Forums we would think it's real unlike /g/.

Attached: How to check if your child is a computer hacker.-rTXV1pP_hI4.webm (320x240, 7.02M)

For shame.

There might be truth to this, i had a laptop that started having problems with it's battery after i wiped the disk and installed some distros into it, the internal clock was also damaged and some months later it could not recognize the HD or boot from live images, if this is indeed happening, is there a way to fix it before people are forced to go back into the safespaces that are Macroshat and Gaypple?

Seems plausible.
I'm still unsure whether the people responding to such obvious baits are newfags or oldfags who are pretending to be retarded.

gold

Attached: kiki is on to you.jpg (1140x1136, 87.31K)

You might be retarded

webdev.

Linux looks very interesting, even if some of the screen colours and menu options appear to be a little out of the ordinary.
But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available.

Linux is a marvellous operating system in its own right, and even comes in several different flavours. However, as good as these flavours are, they first need Microsoft Windows to load the services prior to use.

In Linux, the open office might be the default for editing your wordfiles, and you might prefer ubuntu brown over the grassy knoll of the windows desktop, but mark my words young man - without the windows drivers sitting below the visible surface, allowing the linus to talk to the hardware, it is without worth.

And so, by choosing your linux as an alternative to windows on the desktop, you still need a windows licence to run this operating system through the windows drivers to talk to the hardware. Linux is only a code, it cannot perform the low level function.

My point being, young man, that unless you intend to pirate and steal the Windows drivers and services, how is using the linux going to save money ? Well ? It seems that no linux fan can ever provide a straight answer to that question !

May as well just stay legal, run the Windows drivers, and run Office on the desktop instead of the linux.

Attached: grassyknoll.jpg (2048x2048, 867.89K)

The problem with Linux is that it voids the warrantee of your processor. Intel work closely with Microsoft to make sure that the operating system is sending correct instructions that the processor can work with, in a manner guaranteed not to cause damaging effects. A hobbyist OS like Linux may appear to get things working, but we're not seeing how badly the processor is being taxed internally, and there's all sorts of opcodes and function codes that regular Joes like us are never going to wrap our heads around. Does linux formulate CPU codes that just ones that happen to work, or are they the right ones which keep it all running smooth? The problem is, no one knows what linux is doing there inside the CPU.

It's always best to avoid Linux and use the Windows version that is certified to work on your machine.

This.

After some further research, I discovered that the linux is not in fact a complete copy of Microsoft Windows. My research indicates that it is in fact a copy of Unix. I bet you didnt know that young man ? Yes, its a straight copy of Unix, even down to copying verbatim codefiles straight from the source of Unix. I believe there is a court case in progress regarding this latest discovery. The magnitude of the theft is now becoming apparent.

However, this remarkable fact may well uncover the answer to Ed Bott's mystery linux installation failure. You see, the Unix was designed to run within the VHF to UHF spectra (much like a radio), which is all well and good until you consider that modern computers run in the microwave range, at which regular radio reception starts to have serious issues. If one were to use a UHF receiver to tune in to a quad-phased broadcast in the Microwave spectra, one would fail miserably.

I would wager a bet that Ed Bott's computing apparatus was a more contemporary design utilizing a 3GHz central processor unit (or CPU). Under such frequencies, the linux would literally tear itself apart, its code lacking the internal cohesion to sustain this extreme environment. The Microsoft by comparison, is streamlined and engineered to withstand this Microwave environment, thanks no doubt to the forethought of its designers.

And of this there is ample evidence, which one can easily do an msn-search for and witness first hand. All of this evidence is on the public record, and cannot be denied.

le windows experience (back in the day, when it was "good"

youtube.com/watch?v=m3q2c1kfvio

I know this is more bait in this already shit thread, but here we go.

true
ehh.. Sure it happens before the interactive bits are presented to you, but by the time you're loading services, the kernel and init at the very least are running.
wat? You can't run two operating systems on bare metal simultaneously. Windows isn't running in the background of every GNU/Linux installation.
What do you think Linux is? Linux is a kernel, which means it HAS the drivers in it. It isn't using the Windows driver stack for hardware support.
No you don't? Why would you need a Windows license to use GNU/Linux? You'd only need that if you were running Linux in a VM under a Windows Hypervisor, or that shitty "Ubuntu app" thing MS has.
I-Is that what you think GNU/Linux is? Are you so retarded that you fail to grasp the concept of running any operating system other than Windows directly on your computer?
The absolute state of the useds of proprietary software. They have been so brainwashed by using an OS that doesn't allow you to see the source code that they think it isn't even code at all. This is the "magic box" mentality pushed on tech-illiterates by tyrants. This is "what's a computer?" on full display.
Because you don't need to pirate or even buy Windows to use GNU/Linux. It works on its own.
go back to India.

last line would be enough

This post gave me cancer
>>>/suicide/

No it doesn't
Intel doesn't work directly with Microsoft on any such thing. You do realize that Intel processors are used in servers, right? Ever heard of the Xeon line? Companies run RedHat Enterprise Linux on Intel chips all the time, and Intel most certainly takes this into consideration, as it makes up a sizeable chunk of their revenue.
Nobody "formulates" CPU codes other than Intel themselves. Neither Linus Torvalds nor Microsoft had anything to do with the x86 instruction set.
github.com/torvalds/linux
The Windows installation that comes on your computer when you get it is not specially programmed for that particular hardware or anything. It's the same Windows you get anywhere, just with a few bloatware programs on occasion.

Well no shit
I'm not a "young man"! >_<
Nope. GNU and Linux made it a point to not use ANY AT&T code. It was Berkeley Unix that had legal problems. GNU stands for GNU's not Unix, which is basically saying "we're not using any UNIX code". Linux is also not using any AT&T stuff. It's just a very convincing clone of it.
Who the fuck is Ed Bott?
Computers aren't analog, pajeet. All computers are binary machines that don't run on frequencies. Everything is a 1 or a 0. This is Computers 101 here.
k?
I hear Unix (and presumably Linux if you could find a SPARC distro) runs pretty smoothly on Oracle's 5.0 GHz servers
go back to India.

autist

Attached: 1e0b9ba091366b276ef294956377656411d73af938fa5c812ffc75ab7205498e.gif (350x233, 348.82K)

Attached: whatthehell.png (1280x1126, 1.58M)

had a similar experience with ubuntu in 2013. i hear a lot about linux/GNU systems now so i want to give it another shot, but can not afford to get bricked like the first time.

anyone know a stable easy to use OS? i looked at Parrot (civilian version), but still didn't get much of a sense of it/couldn't find enough detail.

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?
That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

Attached: perfection.jpg (1920x1440, 904.31K)

At first I thought you were unironically autistic but now I see that this is just subtle bait in and of itself.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock_rate

i refuse to try bsd. the logo looks like it has nigger lips, and this fucking disgusts me deeply.

epin just epin.

yes

I was bored

Yes
You mean a bootloader? GNU/Linux has GRUB for that. If you mean you can boot it off a CD/DVD, yeah you can do that too. Some flavors are even built entirely to be run off of those.
The drivers exist inside the Linux kernel.
the services are started by an init system, which there are several options for. Usually GNU/Linux systems use Systemd, but there are quite a few that use the venerable sysvinit, the modular OpenRC, or the lightweight and speedy Runit.
Not in great numbers, no, but GNU/Linux is being used very often in servers, both standard on-premises rackmounts, as well as in the AWS cloud and similar offerings from other cloud providers. As far as the few desktop and laptop products that ship with it, Dell has a few business laptops and workstations that offer Ubuntu as an option, and there are small but dedicated companies like System76 and Purism that make it a point to only sell with GNU/Linux preinstalled. In most cases though, GNU/Linux is something that a user will install onto a computer after wiping Windows off its internal storage.
What year were these pastas written in? The move to Intel processors was over 10 years ago. You have a point there, but what do you mean by Apple moving to Microsoft? Intel and Microsoft are very different companies, and Apple still develops their own operating systems, which are also Unix clones based on a combination of their own developments and some BSD code.
Welcome to $CURRENT_YEAR. Linux has been able to do that for over a decade with the help of GNU and other non-Microsoft projects and communities.
I think you need to stop being a baka

Did the joke go over your head?

Yes, well, I did receive quite a few pointed 'pointers' about linux not requiring windows, but I am yet to be convinced on that score.

I did witness first hand just the other day, a demonstration of a machine loading up the linux, and several points piqued my interest for sure.

Firstly, the machine loaded into the Microsoft boot sequence prior to loading the linux. This is the segment of the operating system which counts down the memory, and configures the A:, C: and D: drives prior to loading the Microsoft windows. Although the machine did not display the familiar windows animation, it was obvious that the linux was freeloading off the back of this prior installation/boot sequence. The aforementioned demonstrator, upon further questioning, even admitted that 'Oh, That part is not the linux', and then went on to confuse the issue with technical jargon. However, one cannot mask a simple act of piracy with excessive verbosity. A fool and his lamb are worth 2 in the bush.

Ok, let's get into this
Ah so you saw it happen! I'd be happy to answer these points of interest.
Did it now? What made you think it was the "Microsoft boot sequence"?
Interesting. What made you think that the A: C: and D: drives were being configured during this sequence? Unix, and by extension, GNU/Linux, do not think in terms of lettered drives. In those systems, everything starts from /, and the other drives are mounted below /. So for example you might be able to mount the contents of a disk drive (D: on windows) at some specified point below / such as /mnt or /media.
So if it wasn't doing the windows animation, how did you think it was using Windows's boot sequence?
Did you seriously think the BIOS/UEFI splash screen was somehow connected to Windows?
Yep, you did...
If a computer is running GNU/Linux, there are a few steps that happen before it loads the kernel:
First, the BIOS/UEFI on the motherboard boots everything up and sets up the disk to boot. This has nothing to do with Microsoft.
Next, the GNU GRUB bootloader will run from the disk and load the kernel. This DEFINITELY has nothing to do with Microsoft.
Then, the Linux kernel and the rest of the OS will take thing from there, starting the init process, which then starts the essential services. Loading up the GUI environment if one is configured (GNU/Linux can be run without a GUI in some cases. You can think of that like Windows Server Core, where it's just a shell).
That's it. There's no Windows involved here.
Basically "I didn't understand it, so he's lying".

wew

This master baiter is most likely talking about a dual boot of Winblows and Linux, of course he's talking out of his ass. For those who really have no clue and might just be depressed enough to click on this thread and read it here's the info.

You can do all types of interesting things with computers, the most distros I've had on one computer=4. Windows + kali + arch + gentoo. I want to play around with gentoo-awesome4u and kali and I had spare drives.

Attached: smoke.png (512x512, 232.79K)

I didn't see this part of the pasta before. This is some masterful bait. Whoever wrote this deserves a medal or something.

ITT: lifeless poster replies to pasta

Yes, like you're doing now.

Attached: Screenshot_20180901-181348_XPlayer.jpg (1933x1436, 515.31K)

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

Attached: 1493687304924.png (461x471, 279.61K)

Yes
You mean a bootloader? GNU/Linux has GRUB for that. If you mean you can boot it off a CD/DVD, yeah you can do that too. Some flavors are even built entirely to be run off of those.
The drivers exist inside the Linux kernel.
the services are started by an init system, which there are several options for. Usually GNU/Linux systems use Systemd, but there are quite a few that use the venerable sysvinit, the modular OpenRC, or the lightweight and speedy Runit.
Not in great numbers, no, but GNU/Linux is being used very often in servers, both standard on-premises rackmounts, as well as in the AWS cloud and similar offerings from other cloud providers. As far as the few desktop and laptop products that ship with it, Dell has a few business laptops and workstations that offer Ubuntu as an option, and there are small but dedicated companies like System76 and Purism that make it a point to only sell with GNU/Linux preinstalled. In most cases though, GNU/Linux is something that a user will install onto a computer after wiping Windows off its internal storage.
What year were these pastas written in? The move to Intel processors was over 10 years ago. You have a point there, but what do you mean by Apple moving to Microsoft? Intel and Microsoft are very different companies, and Apple still develops their own operating systems, which are also Unix clones based on a combination of their own developments and some BSD code.
Welcome to $CURRENT_YEAR. Linux has been able to do that for over a decade with the help of GNU and other non-Microsoft projects and communities.
I think you need to stop being a baka

Only an idiot wouldnt like Linux

Hey Jerry it was already posted.

kuso thread anyway

Its clearly evident that vista is the future.
One only has to watch TV for a short period of time and see the advertising.

WOW !!

I personally love the part where the young man is taking a stroll in the delightful snow covered streets, and sees firsthand a young deer with a gleefull glint in its eye. It sends a shiver down my spine. WOW is all I can say.

Vista is clearly the future of enterprise computing.

Isn't this from reddit?

So, let me get this right - you downloaded a trial version of the linux from the internet, and tried to install it on a perfectly good machine.

Your trial version failed to install. This is most likely because the time period for the trial had expired, so thats easy enough to understand. Another probable reason for the failure to install is because your machine was running too fast - linux works best on machines around the 1GHz mark, and would be very unstable running on a 3GHz machine.

All those facts aside, what concerns me most is that the linux loaded a virus onto the windows petition, and corrupted your machine ?

Astonishing !!

Novell has every right to restrict the distribution of their trial freewares, and abort the installation if the terms of the EULA have not been met. However, it is absolutely against the law for Novell to go that one fatal step further, and install a virus in retribution.

It is illegal for a supplier of software to inflict such punitive measures.

You have an excellent case here for taking Novell to a court of law, and prosecuting this malicious action on their part without predjudice.

I highly recommend that you pursue this course of action.

Reading this made me physically uncomfortable. Jesus.

Im saving this. Nice shitposting OP

You're right but keep lurking

I once installed kubuntu on an old ladies computer. It got hung up on shutdown as she was leaving on vacation. She thought it was off because the monitor went dark but the machine was still on. She closed the door to the desk the tower was in and it basically overheated in there. When she returned home weeks later the pc was toast. Luckily no fire happened. I actually blame this on systemd though because ive seen systemd do this many of times it gets hung on poweroff and doesnt know what to so it goes into an infinite loop at 100% cpu.

>HACKERS WILL TURN YOUR COMPUTER INTO A BOMB

A bomb would be unlikely but if its stored in a desk cabinet they could possibly turn it into an incindiary device.

linux is THE DEVIL I don't want this dark sided in my house LEAVE!!!

youtu.be/PHU1SVqhQI0

damn amerifats crack me up

No, into an actual bomb. It is said so.

Attached: Computer_bomb.jpg (1006x850, 236.47K)

nice bane posting, 4 (((You)))

REMEMBER RICKY, LINUS IS THE DEVIL!!!!