Alpine Linux

Anyone here use Alpine Linux? I'm interested in trying it out, but there isn't a lot of documentation. Is it well supported? Is it as safe and secure as they claim? Is it well supported? Could I use it as my daily driver?

Attached: alpinelinuxlogo.jpg (620x350, 54.38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_Linux:FAQ
wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Installation
alpinelinux.org/community/code-of-conduct.html
pleroma.site/notice/5003579
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Documentation is bloat according to alpine devs.

I used to use it on my laptop, but I switched to Gentoo (since I had Gentoo on my desktop) Alpine Linux could be used as your daily driver, if you want to. But first check that the repos have all the software you need/want (Alpine uses busybox by default, GNU utils can be installed from the repos) Alpine is one of the /comfiest/ distros I have ever used, but I must admit that Gentoo is a bit nicer. Alpine has good security since it has hardened kernel and all packages are compiled with stack smashing protection and as position-independent. As for the docs, you can find most Alpine specific things at their site (use ArchWiki for everything else) Rember to try it in a VM before switching your OS.

Also, see wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_Linux:FAQ and wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Installation

Based. I've been using it for years on a LOT of servers (besides OpenBSD on firewalls). Supports most software OOTB but it comes super minimal and uses very little RAM. I use it

* to run hypervisors with QEMU/KVM
* as virtualized servers
* as from-RAM servers, mostly for NAS

My only gripe so far is that it doesn't support NSS (for LDAP auth) due to musl seeming to have a problem with it, I don't know why.

man pages aren't included by default but you can install them. They have a pretty good wiki.

hardened kernel is dropped since 3.8. Busybox is great and GNU utils are shit

I used it as a base for docker images at my internship, it was well documented and just werked.

Use Void with glibc or musl. Fuck all these stupid distros with weird packaging or design decisions

Because it's a retardedly dangerous and fundamentally broken design, but if you want to give it a go you can install nscd and have it do the resolution for you - at least for authentication. Musl does defer to nscd for passwd/shadow if available.

Works great for docker images.

Its a nice, comfy distro. The real blemish however is its infected with SJW "CoC". It says you can't "make fun of fat people" in the CoC, so I had to drop it as a daily driver.

alpinelinux.org/community/code-of-conduct.html

Hence why I dropped Alpine. I might use it again in the future if I need a small sized linux distro.
I've switched to FreeBSD. Better for my server use cases anyways.

What if I told them I support Drumpfty?

You would be perma-banned and need to pay restitution for "force back hole rape via computing device".

unless that has something to do with the software you're discussing, which is very unlikely, you should rightfully shut the fuck up about it

i'm using alpine in chink pi board, in armv7 and half gig ram, 2tb disk on usb. it works great for my need, dns server, torrent leechbox+rss downloader (muh anime tiddies!), also for hosting telegram bot.
been using debian 9 before, when i decided to move i don't think it's lack of documentation though, all what i need was listed in main wiki.

Attached: oy.jpg (410x416, 43.8K)

Honestly every package coming with lots of docs is bloat. You don't read every program's documentation, right?
Just `apk add {package}-doc` to get it.
Or if you really want to bloat yourself up go ahead and `apk add docs`. That virtual package will install the documentation for all packages you have installed and you install in the future.

I use it only because I'm too bored to install Gentoo on my seedbox/server. By the way, once LibreSSL and musl have no bugs anymore in Gentoo (the number of packages not building is already low), it'll become useless.

If their code was that, everything would be fine. But they have to shoehorn their degenerate bullshit everywhere.

Voids a pain in the arse. The support for it has dwindled since it's creator went mia. I really liked it but it's just not stable enough to be used as a daily driver.

I stopped reading at the second sentence:
Alright then, to the bin it goes.

Nice FUD, nigger.

Void Musl always had issues (like broken packages), unlike Alpine

You need to leave 8ch too if you discard anything inclusive and diverse.

You glow in the dark. All those huge CoC(k)s are hurting the projects that implement them.

Sure, but let us lookup inclusion and diversity in the dictionary.

Does it work flawlessy on a dell xps 13?

that's the thing, far too often it's used at the whim of the loudest minority who's angry at someone or something for no good reason, instead of the meaning of it.

I hold CoC's that just says: "don't be a dick or a cunt to others m'kay?" in higher regard because that includes don't weaponize it to your own advantage.

I'm convinced that any project that institutes a code of conduct has received funding from glowindarks. Some user in another thread was recounting how Alpine was basically dormant for a long while and then one day suddenly they are humming along again with updates and a new pozzed CoC. It's some sort of hoopla that govt agencies require their vendors and affiliates to uphold in order to satisfy some oversight committee or mandate.

Code-of-merit.org

Interesting concept about a coc being required due to some government crap, who knows.
Anyway, seems to have been doing about 2 releases a year since 2010. When was it supposed to be dormant?

—kaniini 2018-9-13 23:33:19Z pleroma.site/notice/5003579

lol #rekt