IceCat is dead

Last commit from 25/05/2018 and the mail list have nothing but a handful of bug reports and spam. RIP in peace GNUzilla IceCat, you will be missed.
Sources:
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git/
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2018-08/threads.html

Attached: icecat.png (650x650, 177.09K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2018-05/msg00000.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Appelbaum#Allegations_of_sexual_misconduct
alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/60.2.0/This
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/NateN1222/)
ghacks.net/2018/09/20/pale-moon-28-1-0-release-information/
fsf.org/blogs/sysadmin/internship-work-on-the-free-software-directory-part-2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What about forking it yourself, removing all botnet features, and reduce overall bloat?

I'll fork the logo.

I'll make the social networks!

Attached: next_facebbook.jpg (502x114, 11.5K)

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2018-05/msg00000.html
Have they ever been quick to produce versions? to me they always lagged behind a bit.

That mail was sent on May 10. The last git update was done on May 25. There hasn't been any changes to their git since.
And yes, IceCat is usually slow on updates, but not this slow. It's stuck on Firefox 52.6.0 and that was released on January 2018. Which means it hasn't even received security updates in nine months. Back in the ESR 45 days it received security updates two or three weeks before the FF version was released.

fuck off shill

Maintaining a browser fork has become near impossible, not surprised here.

What the WTF

First day here?

Use iceweasel-uxp

No. Is that a thing? It made me wince.

Not good when you consider Waterfox is probably next (unless the guy gets more help). Main choices left will be a GulagChrome, Sorosfox and PonyMoon.

At least Zig Forums will fork the logos.

But there is Iridium and ungoogled-chromium.

Why do niggers insist on memeforks when Tor Browser exists?

THIS
the userbase for it was surely minimal and now firefox dropping completelly XUL would make all forks based on it either do the whole rebuild using FF quantum as template or dying alone

Tor is shit.

although it can help you sleep at night knowingly you could as much to avoid botnet, how can you be so sure about being it completelly "ungoogled", i have it, and it does fucking still call home in the background

Good idea actually.
Take all the icecat artwork and replace furrymoon artwork, then strip out all the obvious faggotry.
I was going to originally fork that faggotry and label it "dumpster fire browser" but now I can just call it icecat.

Now what the hell do I use?

Midori :^)

Waterfox was always more shit and useless than Firefox and IceCat.

I have been thinking, what is the real hurdle when it comes to creating a browser? Is it the rendering engine? Would it then be possible to take just the rendering engine of for example Firefox or Webkit as a library, and write your own UI for it? The new browser could then be written however the fuck you want, but you would still profit from an engine that has all the web shit sorted out.

What I'm getting here is, instead of forking and then trying to keep up with upstream, you use the actual engine (no fork) from the original browser, and do everything else yourself. This might be more work initially, but in the long run you are free to do your own thing instead of trying to backport whatever arbitrary changes upstream has made, while still having an engine that's as secure and stable as the original (because it is the original).

I just use normal Firefox, because what is the alternative? Some obscure fork that is lacking in security updates?

The PaleMoon browser started off as a fork that used the same rendering engine but ended up making their own Gecko engine because it would be easier for development in the long run.

Making your own browser with an engine from another bigger project is fine until they start depreciating parts you want and add in things you don't want.

A correction they've forked the Gecko engine into something called Goanna and it was mostly done because the Gecko engine was getting rid of XUL.

Does anyone have knowledge about what the browser engines like webkit and servo are like?

If they do what they claim to do (handle the page content), I don't see why you couldn't just use one of them and make a browser around it. After all the browser doesn't really need to be updated all that much, html/css/js is what's getting new features all the time and those are handled by the engine.

Attached: zmkoc26l.png (656x568, 217.94K)

wait you're talking about reusing an engine. the whole reason web browsers are shit is mainly because the engines are shit. otherwise i'd have spent a day writing a wrapper around webkit or whatever the fuck. it's literally more practical to write make a GUI with scraping code for each website you use
the fuck? the whole problem with web engines is they are unstable and insecure as fuck, mainly because it's a giant bloated piece of shit and 5 seconds is spent on implementing each of the 2 trillion parts

I said "as secure and stable as the original", not implying that the original is actually secure and stable. I meant that a fork would be even less secure and stable than the original.

Mozilla has been attempting to replace Gecko for the last 7 years. Their new engine is still nowhere near finished thanks to 1000 new "standards" being approved per year and all the bullshit websites that don't follow standards but still have to be perfectly rendered. This is one of the reasons why Opera ditched Presto.
Maintaining a rendering engine is a nightmare. That's why everyone is just forking Blink which in turn is a WebKit fork which in turn is a KHTML fork. Hell, Blink and Gecko STILL are not 100 % compatible with all HTML5 standards and those are engines that have been in development for over 20 years now.

That's exactly what Falkon, Midori and QTBrowser are doing.

UNGOOGLED CHROMIUM(S) ARE THE FUTURE

You can't ungoogle webkit you moron. Forking palemoon 27 or writing a browser from scratch in rust/ada is the future you stupid fucker. Or better yet, don't use a webbrowser and post via mail or a http request sender by terminal.

I'd use NetSurf if it had JS support as HTML works flawlessly

what's the difference anymore? firefox does the same fucking thing.

I just installed xubuntu in a vm
allowing mozilla to install and run studies in your browser is enabled by default
aside from sending the telemetry data, which is also enabled by default. if you install this on windows both are also enabled by default.

pozjew is every bit as cancerous as jewgle is, maybe even more so now, because google still has a business to run. pozjew just pisses away their jew donations on sjw projects and botnet. they dont' even give a fuck anymore.

ungoogled chromium is trash
good thing icecat meme is over

USE FUCKING PALE MOON OR SEA MONKEY

everything else owned by Soros and cabal cohorts
beware

Attached: memeshit.png (654x566, 55.95K)

>(((sexual misconduct))) Q1 2015
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Appelbaum#Allegations_of_sexual_misconduct

after that stupid bugs and trashy releases

What do you think happened?
Tor - Tor devs - Debian - ??? - Icecat/Firefox

You should be able to solve this.

CHROME IS THE INTERNET BABY

IceCat 60.2.0 prerelease has been released!
Or "prereleased", whatever.
I spoke too soon, they were busy working on the ESR, the project was never dead.
Main changes:
This is a pre-release for version 60.2.0 of GNU IceCat, available atalpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/60.2.0/This release contains substantial design and usability changes from theprevious major version (v52.x ESR) so I'm publishing it at alpha.gnu.orgto request testing and comments before moving it to ftp.gnu.org.Source Code plus binaries for GNU/Linux x86 and x86_64 are available.The main differences (other than those provided from upstream changesfrom v52.x to v60.x) are: * LibreJS 7.x, now based in the WebExtensions API. It currentlyprovides a very similar set of features compared with the versionshipped with IceCat 52.x but testing, comments and advice are welcome. * A set of companion extensions for LibreJS by Nathan Nichols(addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/NateN1222/) arepre-installed, and provide workarounds to use some services at USPS,RSF.org, SumOfUs.org, pay.gov, McDonald's, goteo.org and Google Docswithout using nonfree JavaScript. * A series of configuration changes and tweaks were applied to ensurethat IceCat does not initiate network connections that the user has notexplicitly requested. This implies not downloading feeds, updates,blacklists or any other similar data needed during startup. * A new homepage shows the most important privacy and freedom optionsavailable, with explanations for the user to tune IceCat's behavior totheir specific needs. * We no longer include SpyBlock, which was IceCat's fork of AdBlockPlusthat allowed to block all third-party requests during "Private Browsing"mode. Now, we include an extension that blocks all third party requestsby default, and provides a simple interface that allows to whitelistspecific third-party resources on a per-site basis. This change is themost significant usability change from IceCat 52.x and I'd like to gettesters to provide an opinion on it. One of the reasons for itsinclusion is that unlike other blockers it doesn't need to download anyfiles to do its job, thus avoiding the previously mentioned unrequestednetwork connections.Thanks to Giorgio Maone, Nathan Nichols, Nyk Nyby and Zach Wick fortheir contribution to LibreJS and IceCat, and happy testing!

Simple.

standard FF or standard botnet chrome for normie things.

links2, elinks, and w3m for edgy deep dark text only memes.

I NEED an address bar user. I can't live in your text only browser i just can't do it. Help me user... help... me.......

palememe for normie things

links has an address bar. just press G

THE FUTURE YOU CHOSE

Attached: it rubs the web 3.0 on its skin or else it gets the hose again.png (489x180, 9.62K)

Does that happen on Basic HTML view?

Nope. Which is also the only way anyone should be using web Gmail.

Are you fucking retarded? noone should be using gmail. Gmail is literally spyware.

Most people is forced to use Gmail thanks to work, school or uni. In those cases, HTML-only Gmail is the way to go.

It's like you've learned nothing.

t. undercover nsa agent

You can use any email client. That would be the preferred method.

I want to get off gmail, but every single one of my contacts uses some form of botnet email (mostly gmail) anyway. My emails would still be logged because of that. Is there any benefit to switching providers, or is it just pointless in this scenario?
No one else is going to switch providers either, because that means they would have to get their contacts to use their new email as well. This is assuming your average person cares, and they don't.

Just use an email client. Less bloat, and if it's a non-corporate controlled email you can use IMAP in place of (((XOAUTH))).

Yay! My main niggle with Ice cat was that it was behind with LibreJS support.

Every browser makes connections like this. I sure hope that you aren't using Pale Moon/Firefox/IceCat without removing all links from about:config

The latest Palemoon version that came out today removes all telemetry so you don't need to fiddle around as much in about:config.
ghacks.net/2018/09/20/pale-moon-28-1-0-release-information/

This is new update is the best one I've ever seen from that project, the speed increase is gigantic and I haven't had any issues with it so far.

Is there a way to install icecat on gentoo?
It's not in the portage tree and there's no overlay in the repository module for eselect.
There is one for palemoon at least, is palemoon a good enough firefox without botnet? I'm running botnetmium currently and need to drop it ASAP.

Why does everyone suddenly hate icecat? Ive been using it for years and it's great.

Because of yet-to-be-backported security updates and allegations of leftover botnet-enabling code.

Tell me why I shouldn't use Otter Browser. It's fast, free and relatively small. Also: no telemetry.

I bet it does. Especially likely, since (((Martin Brinkmann))) is shilling it.

This guy looks like an average blue eyed blond haired German to me. If Jews start stealing Asian names are you going to start accusing all Asians of being Jews?

Attached: martin.jpg (198x192, 7.34K)

If this faggot was serious about proving Pale Moon no longer phones home, then he would use MITMproxy and post results. Instead he talks in vague generalizations.

I believe the source code and the script to build are available on the FSF ftp server. Supposedly, it was removed from the portage tree because it takes too long for the GNUzilla team to release updates, which may be a security risk.

Well, that's just silly. IceCat has removed all telemetry and background connections. You may find some Google URLs on about:config, but that's just leftover data since the antifeatures that use those URLs have been either removed or disabled.

No addon support, unique fingerprint, uses WebKit, has graphical glitches (see the bar at the left side) and cannot connect to any https website.

Attached: otter.png (1920x1047, 166.71K)

fsf.org/blogs/sysadmin/internship-work-on-the-free-software-directory-part-2

RIP IceCatMobile

With IceCat 60, your UA and platform won't match up unless you manually change general.platform.override. Seems that they have made the same error as the latest Tor version (which has now been fixed)

Seamonkey, but don't tell the cuckchan niggers

(((It Works Onto My OWn Device)))

Device Name: HP Netbook Core 2 Duo
OS: Windows XP SP-2 Unattended (Pirated Donwloaded from some russian forum - It Also Werks - )

Works fine to my end.

It will be fun to see how code quality goes down as there's less data to find bugs and prioritize common issues.

Lol. There are a few hardcore users in the autism forum, plus ((((GOT A BUG???)))

Report your bugs, Telemetry '"man'"

Thank god, I was getting a little worried reading this thread.

The Pale Moon project never collected any telemetry or crash reports so the pace and quality of development isn't going to change. It depends on technically competent users posting their findings on the forum or github issues page instead of automatic collection that needs to be constantly curated.

I was about to make an account and post on their forum about a bug until I saw that someone else did, the system seems to work fine as far as I'm concerned.

In all fairness, it was never really good. No addons/ublock didn't work, connection issues on wi-fi, and just generally slow.

All mobile browsers suck. I settled on Firefox Klar, but I'm not pleased about it.

use dooble you queer

It's too bad it's not maintained. Furthermore, there's no way to spawn and distinguish sessions according to js enabled, cookie policy, etc. á la Surf. That's my one problem. The Dooble desktop is pretty cool if not utterly useless and also a testament to the author's misallotment of resources. It's light but not minimal. Also, it's not maintained.

ur brain on jews

You Google employees will stop at nothing. Dooble is one of serious competitors to IceCat right now.

Sage because you can easily go to the IceCat IRC and see that it's releasing a big update soon, and on schedule.

Long live Falkon

It doesn't matter what provider you use if you use PGP to encrypt emails. Of course, getting people to use *that* brings its own set of challenges as well.

I miss web 1.0 that didn't require fag browsers.

Attached: DlFNTDEU8AAqFBd.jpg (972x1200, 177.67K)

Isn't IceCat being moved over to Quantum? That's why we haven't seen anything about it.

I would stick with palemoon if it isn't slow as shit.

In my experience palemoon has gotten a lot faster in recent versions.
Most of the slow downs used to be because of it still using old firefox 27 ui, but they redid that along time ago.
Honestly, the speed different from later firefox and recent palemoon isn't that noticeable.
But at the same time, i don't use bloated web2.0 websites all that much. You honestly shouldn't be using javashit anyway so it's not like that matters too much.

;_; don't cry netscape-tan

Attached: 1538348800.gif (505x283, 629.04K)

Icecat 60.3.0 (first full 60.x release)
provides a very similar set of features compared with the version shipped with IceCat 52.x, but its performance and robustness have greatly improved. Tests and comments are welcome.

>A set of companion extensions for LibreJS by Nathan Nichols (addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/user/NateN1222/) arepre-installed, and provide workarounds to use some services at USPS, RSF.org, SumOfUs.org, pay.gov, McDonald's, goteo.org and Google Docs without using nonfree JavaScript. Who cares?

>We no longer include SpyBlock, which was IceCat's fork of AdBlockPlus that allowed to block all third-party requests during "Private Browsing" mode. Now, we include an extension [Searxes' Third-party Request Blocker] that blocks all third party requests by default, and provides a simple interface to whitelist specific third-party resources on a per-site basis.

>A basic TOR integration extension [Tor™ Browser Button] is included. Note that you need to separately run the TOR service at the operating system for this extension to work. If you use a GNU/Linux system this is usually done by installing the "tor" package.

retarded browser. just use firefox esr

kill yourself pozjew

Unironically based and redpilled. Why isn't this shit in the default arch repos?

Finally updated. Time to replace Firefox.

Tabbed surf or just pure surf if you don't care about tabs.
-a a -d -g to disable cookies,local storage and geolocation, don't need to click on multiple menu n' shiet, it's really simple.

You sound like a /g/ cuck

Anyone who uses tabbed surf has brain damage. For a number of reasons, a window manager is a smarter and suckless alternative to tab idiocy. That is, of course, if you're using a decent WM that can search for different windows.

Or PonziBrave?