Book Thread

Let's have a book thread. I haven't seen one in ages. I
m thinking we should make it a regular thread and make a copypasta for it. It should have some info like good books for noobs/pajeets to git gud. I was thinking some of the following.

Books for beginners:
Structure And Interpretation Of Computer Programs (SICP) by Harold Abelson, Gerald Jay Sussman
How To Design Programs by by Matthias Felleisen and Robert Bruce Findler
Introduction To Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, Clifford Stein

Books on the mindset and philosophy of Zig Forums:
Free Software, Free Society by Richard Stallman
The Cathedral And The Bazaar by Eric S Raymond

Feel free to make more suggestions, this is just what I could come up with off the top of my head.

Have you read any good Zig Forums books lately?

Attached: 34c3c4af71067a8dbc0f3184da4c830a2ca64c5e55fe1e5339ba15541a82a421.png (500x700, 120.11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/MagPi{01..73}.pdf
mega.nz/#F!amhhQaRb!lH8vdWHKzJc6ebjYBIRKRg
stroustrup.com/Programming/
libgen.io
racket-lang.org/books.html
cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Books/ProgLangs/2007-04-26/
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You must be mistaken, you were probably searching for >>>/g/

Yes I have read good tech books lately, thanks for asking fuckhead

He started off really well with those first three books, I'll give him that.

little schemer and paradigms of artificial intelligence programming (i haven't finished this yet) were really good

Free software is the one thing Stallman gets right. If Terry Davis wrote a book it would be on the list instead.

What's a good book for learning data structures?

3rd book in OP is a good introduction.

99% of books are just for putting on your shelf to look good

No. White people actually read them you stupid nigger.

The absolute state of Zig Forums

Just started Minimal Perl. Finally getting into Perl now, and this is a very comfy introduction.

What would be a good use of 3 weeks I have left before next semester starts? I was thinking of spending some time learning more about MATLAB/Octave, since "Signals and Systems" is one of the more important courses of the semester. Anything to do with embedded programming would also be fun, but I don't know what to focus on.

most people who read books on programming are also absolute morons

enjoy not being able to write even a hello world without having injection vulnerabilities

And how often would your shitty hello world application be exposed to the outside world? What a retarded statement.

Most people are morons, so most people who attempt anything [entry-level] are morons. If you're buying books because you think it impresses people, that's definitely moron behavior.

Unoriginal and retarded.

If you use Matlab in your course it couldn't hurt. It's actually a pretty easy language, though. Just remember to suppress output when working with large matrices. Lots of people/institutions are switching to Python and using the numpy and scipy libraries. They can do everything Matlab does, plus they're free as in both beer and freedom. Matlab is expensive. When I was in college I pirated a copy to use at at home.

As far as octave, I tried using it a few years ago and it was buggy as hell. It crashed constantly. Maybe it's better now.

In his defense, perl is traditionally THE language for cgi scripts.

You can only learn something if you don't know it already.

Anyone ever read Lions' Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition, with Source Code?

Most people are average, retard.

Back to /v/, little microshaft shill.

Show us an example of how perl relates to injection vulnerabilities

You are, but there is a very large gulf between the average and upper spectrum.

Is thera a good book for people who know C pretty well, but want to learn C++? I know C well, but OOP has always been difficult for me to grasp.

Stroustrup's C++ Programming language. Not only does he explain it, he gives justifications for all the features he added to the language.

Seriously? You're not just fucking with me? While K&R is a great reference, it's very overrated for learning C, I figured Stroustrup would be the same.

Strousrup's day job is teaching freshman engineering students c++so it's reasonable that he's able to write a decent textbook. I'd get the swan book which is i think called principles and practices

quints confirm academics know about programming.

Not at all. You should a book from the creator of the language, and that happens to be a very good one.

Argh, *get a book.

mfw when you see your OC in the wild
kek.
Have the other OC I did, and here's 73 Raspberry Pi magazines for putting me in a good mood.
wget -nc raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/MagPi{01..73}.pdf

Attached: allisbotnetmeme.jpg (1734x845 12.08 MB, 784.67K)

That botnet.jpg is really OC too since I don't think I ever released that full size image until now, only the much smaller version of it.

How is CLRS is a book for beginners?
It's an 1000+ pages long academic text book and pretty heavy on math.
You have to invest a year or so if you're not skimming.

It might be a bit more advanced than sicp or htdp, but it's the next logical step. Now you know a language, here's how to do different stuff. Maybe it should be "intermediate," but I think it's still one of the more basic texts. Its not OS design and Implementation or something like that.

mega.nz/#F!amhhQaRb!lH8vdWHKzJc6ebjYBIRKRg

Nice. Too bad I no longer need most of these. Thanks anyway, though. Definitely keeping them just in case.

I have SICP right next to me and i've watched a few chapters. can't get past chapter 1. am i a doomed brainlet? should it take at least a year to get through this book? my goal is 3 months.

Where are you stuck? Post a question in the Q/A.

Eric Raymond isnt a communist freetard

The only real flaw in SICPis that it's geared towards engineers, so it has engineer level math in it. I was a math min or in college and chapter one took me about a month to finish as well. That was mostly trudging through the math. I really didn't feel like making programs to estimate shit like continued fractions. It was tedious as fuck.

Chapter one is all about functional programming, so math is the easiest field to explain the paradigm in.

Oh no I get that. Knowing that doesn't make it any less tedious.

If you don't read the rest of this book, chapter 2 gives a really good summary of the history of UNIX and how the FSF came out of UNIX.

Attached: taoup.jpg (223x300, 20.29K)

I read the entire thing and regret every single page. It's a 500 page book that says nothing of substance. That's quite an achievement.

lol? Have you read CLRS? Or is this nigger uni baby advice where you did a few chapters and homework on it.

stupid commie

Can you call writing shitty hacked on software art in this era?

This is what you are looking for

Attached: stevens.jpg (342x430, 31.73K)

Not so fast satan. He was a prof for 9yrs at Texas A&M where he co-authored PPP2. That was a few years ago, now he is a senior guru at Morgan Stanley in NYC for his day job, and moonlights very occasionally at Columbia as adjunct prof.

You're first reply is wrong user, since you're obviously a newb. TCPL4ed is a reference work and strictly for professionals. You want his freshman textbook instead, PPP2.
stroustrup.com/Programming/

Attached: BarneyStarsoup.webm (640x360, 12.2M)

Here's a site that's basically TPB for books: libgen.io
From our friends in Vodkaland.

Attached: BlueTheRaptor.gif (799x472, 1.88M)

Just go to OpenLibra if you want all the MagPis for free.

I'm not a fan of this book. I got like 200 (?) pages in, but the whole thing just feels like a very extended, dry API reference.
I guess that makes sense, considering the purpose of the kernel, but even still.

Also, if anyone is looking to get into machine learning, I found "Learning from Data" to be quite good.

whats da bestest book on programming in racket? kthx

y'all got anything on FP or J lang?

Perl actually has a nice feature for security: taint mode (perl -T). It reminds you when you forgot to manually validate some external input, amongst other things. The program will actually abort until you fix the problem (and that's really the safest course of action).

Attached: perlsec.png (964x580, 73.8K)

checked

Taint mode was invented to mitigate the most obvious security shortcomings of CGI. Nobody uses it nowadays, since CGI is gone.

So I wanna start htdp v2. The problem is that it requires dr.racket which depends on a lot of shit.
I installed racker-minimal and did a raco pkg install htdp-lib. Like most programing language specific package managers it failed a lot of packages.
Any advice ?

harddrive space is hardly a concern these days.

Attached: __jeanne_d_arc_and_jeanne_d_arc_fate_grand_order_and_fate_series_drawn_by_hayashi_kewi__2e437e945415083a5316a5436c212f77.png (1136x1136, 1.17M)

If you already know how to program in general, I would just work through the tutorials on the racket website and consult the guide.

See if any of these interest you.
racket-lang.org/books.html

cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Books/ProgLangs/2007-04-26/
In particular was quite a comfy read. It uses Racket, but teaches programming language design in general. You'll learn a lot from it.
inb4 poo. He's a professor at Brown, the quality is top notch, so I'll give it Zig Forums approval.

I'm on of those autist fucks.

Why would it depend on DrRacket? You can install libraries through raco and select the language of a module using#lang whateverin your first line. You can set the language used by the REPL by passing it as an argument, e.g.# Use Typed Racket instead of untypedracket -I typed/racket

I've been reading Operating Systems: Three Easy Pieces. Its a very comfy read. Also was reading some haskell shit i fucking hate haskell

I once fell hard for the Haskell meme, I read category theory books, poured over the "Monad Reader" publication, and went through papers on exotic data structures like 'finger trees'. After a while far too long, I realized that with all the clever nonsense required to 'get things done', I was no more productive than a random javascript nigger off the street, who could easily accomplish a task with very low cognitive load. B-bu-but I'm smart!!!!" Racket is a far more sensible compromise.

What is the sicp for bash ? I've been using bash way more than I'd like so it's time to actually learn it.

Bash isn't a language.

who cares

The Linux Programming Interface by Michael Kerrisk is bretty gud

Do you mean the Bourne Shell only, or do you actually mean Bash? There is the Bash manual, I guess:
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/

this faggot spends half his streams overflowing buffers

What is the definitive "K&R C" book when it comes to learning Assembly language?

Attached: k&r c.jpg (379x499, 32.63K)

There isn't one. Assembly isn't one language. It's primarily a syntax either Intel or AT&T and then for each architecture is a set of mnemonics. If you want to learn x86 assembly, pick your syntax, then pick up either the Intel or AMD Software Developer's manuals. If you want to learn some other arch assembly, you need to go to their respective manuals.

is everything in this book useful? i just started reading this yesterday and it seems overwhelming (comparing to C for example)

i dont know if im just stupid or should i use c++ with different approach than described in the book