what is systemd and why does everyone hate it

Attached: Hmm.jpg (200x211, 10.03K)

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
linux.slashdot.org/story/16/02/01/1357237/running-rm--rf--is-now-bricking-linux-systems
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=UEFI-rm-root-directory
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's a thing

It's a colossal monolithic turdlog developed by Red Hat that's rooting itself deep into GNU/Linux distros.
It acts like a literal cancer, consuming vital system utilities until it finally takes over the ecosystem, extinguishes the alternatives and makes itself unavoidable by forcing most of your software to depend on it.
It's a virulent plague that seeks to destroy freedom of choice and the way it operates is pretty much EEE.
Now go to the designated thread

There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772.29K)

For more info on the Google DNS thing, see pic related

Attached: SystemdDNS.jpg (1432x1700, 784.65K)

and for the cherry on top, the infamous motherboard bricking

Attached: fucksystemd.png (1280x2084, 619.28K)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"""MODS""" WILL NOT DELETE THIS THREAD

Systemd thread is that way

This thread should get bumplocked/locked/deleted for being a duplicate thread.

Terrence Lennart Stallman wrote systemD as a replacement for the vim operating system. It was designed in the emacs language and is used to control the intel management engine which is itself a ninja like tool for managing the inner network stack at ring 9. Please google more about a man named Gary Gygax Fagiolio for more information. System D was originally released for Unix systems in 1959 but has evolved greatly since then.

Good luck!

I love Zig Forums

I guess it's the flood of normalfags into Linux lately, but we used to be proud of how powerful the system was and loved that the sharp edges kept out casuals. How fucking stupid do you have to be to switch to an administrative account with maximum privilege and then try to rm -rf system directories, anyway? You faggots should be aware that there are plenty of ways to brick hardware from Linux, you can even brick mice.

About as stupid as the person that made that the default way of doing fucking everything.

what kind of fucking retard are you.

And that thread is halfway through the bump limit.

Look at the fucking catalog next time newfag, there are already multiples of this thread up. Saged and reported.

How did you survive the "delete system32" era?

linux.slashdot.org/story/16/02/01/1357237/running-rm--rf--is-now-bricking-linux-systems
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=UEFI-rm-root-directory

Isn't this a kernel issue?

It takes a systemd shill to say something this retarded. Deleting system32 only ruins your OS. You could always reinstall Windows or install another OS and have a fully functional computer. Hell you could probably copy the system32 folder back from installdiscs or shit and have it up and running again, but bricking your motherboard is a very different class of problem. If you can't factory reset the thing, you are in deep shit.

Now I'm guessing part of your point is that people should just never run these delete commands in the first place (ie. Poettering's WONTFIX rationale), but the truth is that sometimes people do want to deliberately wipe their entire system. Using "rm -rf /" to wipe your system before reinstalling is pretty classic. Bricking your motherboard alongside it is a very unwanted side-effect from this kind of dumpster fire design where something is unnecessarily exposed as writeable at all times even when it doesn't need to be.

/thread

And the final goal is apparently windowsification of GNU/Linux.

make that definitely

it's shit