Why is everyone asking me to install gentoo?

Whats wrong with Ubuntu? I have been using ubuntu for the past many years now and it has not failed me, even once!

Other urls found in this thread:

knowyourmeme.com/memes/install-gentoo
fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do
funtoo.org/Funtoo_Profiles)
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Paludis
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Paludis/Guide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I ain't asking you. Ye best install it if you know what's good for ya, kiddo.

You've been memed on. There's literally nothing wrong with ubuntu.

r u fishin me right now or smth

knowyourmeme.com/memes/install-gentoo

user don't say such awful things

Those damn canonical Jews have daemons that record every file I open. I don't think they send it to their servers but the turn off tracking button seems to be a placebo.

It's a joke, ignore them and lurk moar.

systemd, amazon, spyware, bloat

fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

Comparing Ubuntu with Gentoo is comparing apples with oranges because the target audience is different. Ubuntu is for people who just want a system that works out of the box with a similar user experience to Windows/OSX. Gentoo is for people who want to customize every aspect of their system, compile from source, minimize dependencies and bloat, harden security, etc. etc. "Install gentoo" is a meme but it's accurate if the above applies to you or if you just want to dive into the deep end learning about Linux.

Honestly, Ubuntu is fine if it's serving your needs. I'm not even sure if the aforementioned spyware still exists in Ubuntu, but if it does you should turn it off. Personally, though, I would choose Debian over Ubuntu since it's free by default of Canonical bloat, binary blobs, and proprietary drivers.

Also forgot to say they add nonfree software to their repositories and show it as something good, whereas it's spyware

this, aside from systemd, amazon, spyware, and bloat. gentoo takes time and effort to setup, great for something you want to spend time on, not great if you want to handle 20 different VMs on 10 different computers with different hardware.

and despite popular opinion gentoo's package manager, portage, fucks up on the regular with circular dependency hell, especially if you aren't updating every 6 hours. have fun updating once every couple weeks. to be fair it's not portage that causes these circular dependencies it's the package maintainers.

GET OUT NEWFAG

install gentoo

false

install gentoo
unironically

because it's the best distro

I use arch btw

nothing. Gentoo is awful for practical use

go back to reddit

Gentoo is not a "meme distro".

It's the best and most precious distro you can use.
Once you get used to it, you'll realize using any other distro would be a downgrade.
It's rolling release and manages to be both stable and up to date.
You can install bleeding edge packages on a stable system without it breaking.
You can install any version of any package in the repo and portage will rebuild what needs rebuilding and update/downgrade what needs updating/downgrading and keep your system consistent.
No such thing as "dependency hells".
You can even have multiple versions of the same package side by side.
Top tier documentation and support.
Large and helpful community (you can always get help on IRC if you run into problems).
Overlays (user repos, Gentoo equivalent of AUR).
Ebuilds (package build scripts) easy to read, edit, write and maintain.
Gentoo offers you freedom of choice, power, control, customization and flexibility unlike any other distro.
Most importantly, it just works, it does what you want and doesn't get in the way.

Or people who just want a flexible distro that just works, has a ton of packages, is rolling release, stable and up to date, doesn't break when you mix stable and bleeding edge and doesn't make your choices for you.

About as much time and effort as Arch (not counting compile time during which you do something else).
The Gentoo guide is just a lot more detailed and noob friendly, so it takes longer to read.
It wouldn't be popular opinion if that were true.
What you're refering to is a simple circular dependency error that can happen during dependency resolution, not a "dependency hell".
It happens very rarerly and even if it does happen once in a blue moon, it's simple to work around, portage literally tells you how to resolve it.
Dependency hells are not a thing on Gentoo.
And yet I'm fine updating all my Gentoo machines exactly once every two weeks.
Please stop spreading FUD.

There literally is no better distro for practical use.

Attached: 00762555.jpg (1211x1321, 314.85K)

lol yeah OP listen to this guy

That show isn't for little girls though.

Clever reasoning.

Profiles make setting up USE flags easy (btw, did you know that on Funtoo you can have multiple profiles? see funtoo.org/Funtoo_Profiles)

None of the above points gets fulfilled with Ubumtoo.

Attached: Behead_Those_Who_Insult_Gentoo.jpg (540x360 202.96 KB, 2.33M)

What about Exherbo? It comes with a written in C portage compatible package manager.

Exherbo seems like another meme distro. I would just use Gentoo with paludis (the package manager that's also used in Exherbo), if you don't want to use portage.
see, wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Paludis
and wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Paludis/Guide

Attached: __blanc_choujigen_game_neptune_and_neptune_series_drawn_by_narinn__sample-0f8fa136753e7ec64775297bbe115da5.jpg (850x850, 220.71K)

This best be bait

This is how you spot newfags.

Looks like someone hasn't dealt with Perl. Of course, you can prevent it from happening by using perl-cleaner after every emerge.

Based and redpilled.

If I ever see a childrens drawings poster make a good point whie posting childrens drawings I'll eat my shoe.

Agreed.

This is who you are talking to when you reply to a NSA chill.

Attached: discomfort maki.png (203x235, 110.45K)

What show is it?

It cannot be both. The meaning of stability in release context is that it doesn't change. Stable vs moving platform.

Gentoo is all. The beginning and the end. The alpha and the omega.

It can, since Gentoo has stable and unstable versions. The difference with other distros like Arch is that it's in the same repo and easy to use the unstable version of just a package.

Anyone running gentoo with musl?

Does Gentoo have systemd?

Gentoo is like Burger King. It has what you want.

Nobody with a soul builds gentoo with systemd. I'm not sure there's any gentoo-derivatives that use systemd, either. Calculate and CloverOS both disable Poetterware.

I want to install gentoo with Rin!

How does an OP like this not get you permab&? Hide and report.