Irc

how is irc doing?
is it ded?
do people still irc?
what are some good channels?

Attached: any minute now.jpg (500x348, 87.59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ircv3.net/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

good

It's doing fine. There are plenty of active users and channels. I'm not going to recommend any specific networks or channels though. Just look around yourself and you should find something you like.

Are you the same guy that is saging every thread with shit posts? You annoy me.

good

yea same, he goes by the name Heaven too sometimes.

I host my own and idle on one for a game server. IRC networks are still pretty popular.

You mean he went by the name of Heaven until they removed the name field.

oh shit I didn't even notice

IRC is still extremely popular, which is good because although it's flawed it's still the best real time chat protocol. It just has an adoption rate of 0 among normies.

Attached: e8aa3404e3331f17b644edae2b290e15f753b5590864bed92ac1fef001b4efae.jpg (350x350, 31.41K)

The best IRC client is IRSSI.

that's a plus in my opinion

#jackinchat
/thread

I was a part of a college group software development project. It wasn't for a class, but everyone wanted a project they could put on their resume.

A dude with a mohawk said we should use IRC. So I learned IRC, joined a network, joined the channel, set up a hostmask cloak thing to hide my IP address, etc. Then I was going to set up ZNC.

Most of the other people in the group had trouble using IRC, despite being programmers, so they just made a Slack team instead. Slack is like proprietary IRC with pictures and a more accessible UX. I think it's killed IRC for new-age developers who didn't grow up with IRC.

Also, are IRC botnets still a thing?

best android irc client?

Maybe if you don't need encryption

Freenode was being massively spammed not to long ago by GNAA with one.

That's too bad. I wish I could use IRC for my projects...

why not weechat?
what makes irssi better?

Anyone remember DC++

how is that related to irc you faggot?

irc is not for you, intellectually impaired person.

I remember using BitchX which was an uncontroversial name for a software project at the time. I want to go back.

how do you irc over tor?

lmao what i've used irc lots i just wanna know the best client for using it on my phone you fucking dunce

Reddit runs a huge IRC network called Snoonet. Been around for years now.

reeee you can only talk to me on a computer in your mom's basement

fucking normies

Attached: shkrelihat3.png (145x165, 41.25K)

grab yalp store off fdroid then filter for apps that don't have ads/gsf, whatever's left is usually good

t. power normie

It's still being worked on lol ircv3.net/

freenode #supertuxkart is pretty fun.

Below is my experience with a reoccuring game thread now on /vg/.

The most common dealbreakers of IRC are no image or youtube embedding and no full history of channel messages (i.e if they're not in the channel, they can't see what was on there when they aren't in the channel unless they parked a bot). If you tell someone from /v/ to use irc, they'll give you these reasons besides the common "my friends are on discord".

If they were willing to use IRC, most of them fail to decide on a client despite HexChat being a clear pick for desktop, and never ended up joining.

On some networks, using a hostmask is either automatic or has no requirements.

LMAO DUDE JUST USE DISCORD xD

Attached: gamers.png (520x254, 17.59K)

Slack allows for free clients. Just like in IRC, some servers run proprietary server software. Same thing with slack. Just because a proprietary client is most popular, it doesn't mean you have to use it.

people from /v/ are underage faggots who gives a shit what they do

These. IRC is just inferior. So few features and is just far more inconvenient than its competition.
Sadly, the Unix philosophy is dead in terms of most peoples' software choices. The idea of setting up an IRC chatroom, a mumble server, a video chat system, and all the other shit you'd need to get feature-parity with discord, all with different accounts, is just plain unacceptable in $CURRENT_YEAR
If you wanna recommend something Free Software, go with Matrix. Although it's still developing, it is already better than IRC, with voice/video chats, full channel histories, file uploads, contacts list, end-to-end encryption planned as an out-of-the-box feature, and more.

Attached: riot-im-logo-1.png (408x360, 13.79K)

They discontinued that

I believe they also used to be compatible with IRC (you could bridge it). AFAIK they took that away too.

1. They discontinued the free clients
2. If it doesn't offer substantial benefits over IRC, why would I want to use it?

All the new software is for lamers who love botnet computers. They're addicted to the botnet and will go insane if they have to use IRC. They will experience fatal botnet withdrawal symptoms where they become activated as cia zombies and do the school shootings or open kebab shops for deep state money laundering.

Attached: Compaq.jpg (3712x2508, 971.77K)

2edgy5me

What do you mean? I use one every day for work.

That's akin to saying that the most common dealbreaker of pigs is that they don't fly.

Agreed, but people like to have the convenience of seeing the image right in the client, being able to upload an image in case it's on your computer and you don't remember the url you got it from, and being able to watch a shared video in the embedded youtube player instead of having to open up another tab, or switch over to the browser window if it's not a web client.
Once again, The Unix philosophy is dead in this instance. I don't like it, but we're gonna have to accept it. Otherwise, enjoy the continued reign of Discord.

Yes, Slack did the classic EEE strategy and I hope they die in a fire, what is more infuriating is that it gained adoption with tech savvy people who should know that it's a walled garden.
Seeing silicon valley use open source to save money and then abandon it at the slightest whiff of convenience makes me think we're in a pseudo dark age of open source.

Those aren't points that makes it inferior to IRC. Why would I get an image or make any connections whatsoever to Imgur/YouTube/Google, i.e things that are required to be done to get an embedded image or a previewer if I don't agree with their terms of service?

I was sort of surprised that people wanted YouTube embedding considering the overall opposition to using YouTube directly.

All of these things could be implemented into the IRC server/client and they'd become common features if the community agreed they were a good idea. They haven't because they aren't deal breaks.
hyperlinks and DCC bots
hyperlinks and DCC bots
multiple monitors, not running things are full screen like a pleb
bots or provide it directly from server logs
It was never a thing with normalfags. These are the same people that tell you Discord is secure because it "hides your IP" when you tell them it's botnet

I'd also like to know a nice channel or two, I was on #lobsters on freenode but it wasn't quite my cup of tea. I might rejoin anyway. other that I just use a private channel to talk with a freind.

Images and video embedding, you really only need some kind of specialized client that makes the extra request to fetch the image and expand it, and something similar with a web video. It's not something that has to be a part of the IRC protocol.

I know quassel will show you the image on hovering over the link.

So once again, you need to set up extra services, either on the users' end or the admin's, just to get features that are available out of the box with other solutions.

There is nothing stopping you from implementing those features into an IRCd right now if you really want them. If your implementation becomes popular most servers will adopt it. Do you think IRC started off with actual services?

Those other solutions you're talking about are typically just a custom IRCd with hacked on features that datamine you. That's the main difference between something like discord and an open IRC server. One datamines you and states as much in the TOS another does not. You don't even need to modify the IRCd for something like youtube embeds that can be implemented in a custom client.

You aren't seeking a solution you're just here to shill a botnet. Kindly fuck off back to normalfag land where you belong. If Discord was worth using it would allow custom client side software.

Not at all. I'm merely suggesting that people stop suggesting IRC as a chat solution to normalfags, as they'll inevitably either just use Discord, or use IRC for a while and eventually migrate to Discord once they decide they think it's "better" (I've seen this happen to a few communities).
Recommend a Matrix-based solution like Riot.im instead. It has all the flatshit design to keep the soyboys happy, all the features to keep the normalfags happy, and it's a federated system with a 100% Free Software client and server to achieve the goal of killing the botnet.
Oh, and if you hate the look and electron bloat, you can always bridge to it from Weechat

Attached: terminal.png (1402x1027 91.59 KB, 608.95K)

who gives a shit about normalfags you fag?
i want to know about good irc channels for myself since i dont give a shit about normies

Revolution IRC. FOSS on fdroid.

i'm on the Zig Forums channel and it's 1000% cancer

What did you expect?

##Zig Forums on irc.rizon.net, pic related

Attached: 2018-09-11-100751_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 220.78K)

The more #'s you add the more cancerous it gets.

I used to host a private IRC on my own server, but no default support for preserved chat logs on the server clients would pull on joining was causing problems for my team. I moved to XMPP which is a bit more bloated (XML), but seems a bit better for what we need to do and supports the basic features we need while being a self-hosted chat system that isn't being eyeballed by Skype, Discord, Slack, whoever. Not to mention that we can use different clients to our tastes. As for public channels, I have no idea though.

this looks dangerous

I have the vague impression you're suggesting this is a bad thing user?

gys

lol

Attached: benis.png (788x542, 25.33K)

I remember times when you could find real women on IRC.

I remember times when there was not a single woman on the whole internet other than scans.

They've been on the Internet forever, just in smaller numbers. They used email and such at businesses and university. I've even seen some that were addicted to MUDs. That was before the jennycam thing and all this more recent social media crap.

Back when we were all using UUCP I never ran into a single one.

I wasn't on the Internet when UUCP was widespread, but I met and talked to (in person or over the phone) some women that called local BBS's when those were the only thing the average pleb had access to. We used to do local meetups with lots of people from the local scene have have BBQs and stuff, it was fun.