Anons I've been learning D and I think this is the language I've been looking for my whole life

Anons I've been learning D and I think this is the language I've been looking for my whole life.

Attached: u0m86w3qvfl11.jpg (500x357, 20.12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.dlang.org/post/[email protected]
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ok.

D is already deprecated

By what? Half-assed Go? Unreadable Rust?

I also thought it was unreadable and ugly until I actually put some time into understanding why.

dropped

Attached: 1536601685000.jpg (640x911, 47.06K)

It can be turned off.

It can't be. Almost nothing works with it disabled. Being able to turn it off is a meme.

Good LARP, faggot.

you are a fucking retard

yes user and you can write Java in a style that never allocates. The language is totally fucked when you do though.

Attached: De9OxpsVMAAvaOe.jpg (403x465, 28.92K)

Why aren't you using the E Programming language? To be honest I only program in 4D 32bit image editors anymore, text editors are so last century.

Well maybe you should use a GC which doesn't make you pause.

Which D does not have. Even if it did have one pauseless GC styles have so many tradeoffs.

I've been eyeing D as well. With GC and exceptions disabled (which is officially supported with the -betterC flag), I think it could be a good replacement for systems/"game dev"-style C++; if you plan to write everything from scratch anyway, it's worth considering alternate languages.

My problems are as follows:
>Unsurprisingly you can't just #include C or C++ header files for C/C++ libraries and platform APIs. You need to either create your own bindings, download someone else's or auto generate them with a third party tool. This isn't that big of a deal but it's something you don't have to worry about with C or C++. You could write just your platform code in C or C++, but at that point you would probably start to wonder why you're bothering to write the core in D.

>The language in general is like a better version of the style of C++ that was in vogue 10 years ago. OO, inheritance, exceptions, etc. Programmers have thankfully started to realize that this style is harmful to productivity and performance, so while once again the leads are making steps away from it, it is a shame that so much of a language that purports to be "C++ without the legacy crap" is tied up in a legacy programming style that is on its way out.

>The leads Walter Bright and Andrei Alexandrescu do have, I think, a sincere desire to steer the language toward "betterC," but the existing userbase seems rooted in the older style, in particular denying that GC could ever be a problem for certain common usecases. You don't have to use the community's code but you are affected by the way they steer development.

And perhaps both the dumbest and greatest problem

Go

Rust

Ada

D

I am surprised someone else on Zig Forums knows about this, the language itself has some good ideas regarding the actual areas of C/C++ which need significant development. The issue though is its developed by exclusively by Blow and as a sort of side project so its unlikely to go anywhere.

some braindead choices, though it has good cryptocurrency making it a good choice for network backends
weird syntax and slow compilations, but no gc and memory-safety in compile time
near perfection, did everything Rust promises decades before and has a Wirthian syntax but it is overcomplicated
C++ with superior syntax, but segfaulting all the same
tl;dr the search for the perfect language continues

god I fucking hate you nodevs.

ATS

The only one that's actually substantially better to make up for the disruption of having to use another language, and yet it works better with C than any of those - you can slide it right into your project, like medicine from a hypodermic needle, and go on from there. It's also unlike D in that you can use with a GC and without a GC, and both styles are fine. GC is more like "sloppy ATS" than GCless is like "crippled ATS", thanks to linear types being so good.

When that nice feel wears off -- and it will -- you'll be left with boredom.

Attached: e2a.jpg (680x383, 16.75K)

What else defines a language besides syntax, semantics and implementation? I mentioned all of them. Style? You can have that in another one.

Because E is unmaintained hot garbage

Ada is irrelevent, Go produces useless clutter and acts autismal when you don't do things the Google (tm) way and Rust is just ugly.

Overlooking syntax is the mark of someone who doesn't program enough.

Never wore off of C or Assembly.

Assembly is life. But I would not use C for most of anything today. For anything I would normally be doing in C i've been using Crystal

I've been looking into Crystal because the devs at my workplace are all good at Ruby but we sometimes need a speed boost so it might be good to write libraries in Crystal.

If you run only stable Ruby releases, or run preview versions but didn't hear, Ruby will have an optional JIT in 2.6 (Christmas this year) giving off a significant performance boost. Still nowhere close warmed-up TruffleRuby 50x speeds and even more using the experimental Substrate VM.

That's fine. It's an alright compromise between native and higher-level, and manages to have very good performance, decent semantics, but is still garbage collected. If you're looking for something almost as flexible as C++ but with some Java-like semantics, it's a good language. Its templates are pretty good to work with, and other compile-time support it offers is really good.
It doesn't really replace C, C++, Java, or Rust, but it does fill its own niche fairly well. I'm not a fan of it, but it's really not bad.

That said, what's really the point of this thread? There's not really much you've given us to discuss.

Complaining about syntax is strong mark of faggots that have no idea what they are talking about.

Attached: a6e552c86bc0a2974ab762dddad5e757cfc71451d7337cbc5f0e5a3bab46201e.gif (296x335, 70.32K)

Shit like this is always "just around the corner".

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Attached: 1406158916817.gif (480x320, 3.2M)

Then I suppose you'll find it disappointing to discover that Alexandrescu has abandoned the language back to full on C++ support again.

sounds like an interesting guy
oh he has a twitter
nevermind

wat? He literally works full-time for the D Language Foundation

I'm disappointed. From the forums/mailing list the community seemed like a bunch of normal apolitical white guys of yesteryear, which is the best you can expect from any technology not made by anons.

Anyone linked into tech's normiesphere is now an antifa communist on HRT. There's just too much poison in those waters to drink from them and not succumb, especially socially challenged technophiles undergoing a focused assault.

Does it have a CoC(K)?, if not, it'll never be relevant.

tfw all the best programmers are communists or at best a-political.

Zig Forums btfo!

Attached: Dg_ED5YWsAEbNHr.jpg (675x1200, 123.17K)

Source: forum.dlang.org/post/[email protected]

You're acting like Rust is asking you to program with hieroglyphs. By the sounds of it you have no fucking idea how to code with abstraction levels lower than poo in the loo Pajeet tier garbage.