I18n = bloat

What is the minimal number of languages that a new project should support,
a) To maximize the amount of competent users
b) To attract competent developers.
c) Minimize lowIQ users

Are no brainers, but what else is needed? Japs are smart, but adding their language adds a quite a bit of font/rendering bloat. Is it worth it? Can the smart ones just speak English? Has any one ever used a language other than English to express an idea worth hearing about in the past 100 years? I qualified it so you Greek and Latin fags can settle down.

Attached: i18n.png (800x200, 21.92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_Internet_users
github.com/amake/cjk-decomp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Thinly veiled Zig Forums thread

Attached: Taro Katano.png (707x360, 286.37K)

You have a >>>Zig Forums understanding of >>>Zig Forums

Support all languages bar right to left ones. I18N is only a pain when added late in a projects life.

Good trolling idea. We should attack projects we don't like by calling them anti-semites when they don't handle RTL. If they do cuck, we'll criticize them for pandering to Jews.

There is no reason at all to add Spanish.

We should also demand that they decolonize their projects by removing english support.

Kikes could be easily trolled into supporting Esperanto.

I bet you also can't into Lojban, faggot.

OP is Russian. He is also a fag.

Cyrillic is an alphabet you idiot, much easier to accommodate than Japanese.

English: obvious
French
Dutch
German
Italian
Russian
Japanese
Korean
Classical Chinese

The classical here is important. If you do ZH-cn you're going to get a big problem. Even if you do ZH-tw or ZH-hk, they can still read traditional characters (ZH-tw, ZH-hk) and Cantonese (ZH-hk) to an extent.
However, if you choose traditional characters in classical chinese, all the uncultured soulless Chinese drop out and only the ones with scruples and creativity and intelligence can use it.

Add Hebrew, and that covers all the smart nations.

good goy

kill yourself nigger.

The only languages that should be supported are those with either significant population or economic significance.

That means:
English
Spanish
Chinese
French
German
Japanese
Russian

No Italian because nobody outside Italy speaks it. No Indic languages because everybody that matters there speak English. No Korean because they are ok with learning and speaking English. No arabic because we don't care about them.

*rubs hand*

That would remove Classical Chinese, medieval Japanese etc. along with hebrew and arabic languages.

Attached: bombs-internally.png (450x465, 283.49K)

ESPERANTO ONLY

Standard ASCII English only, when it comes to code, UI and documentation, and as default and prefered for developer communication.
But if software works with text, it should take any valid UTF8 input.

Just add proper internationalization support in a way that allows people to build and install their own translations. If your program is popular enough and people want it in their own language, they can do it themselves. A well-designed program won't depend on the original developer to add translations.
It doesn't add rendering or font bloat if you allow the user to provide their own fonts and translations. You provide English out of the box and make sure it's flexible enough to handle whatever people want to throw at it (allows user-definable translation files, make sure it handles left-to-right, right-to-left, and properly loads in system fonts for missing characters, or allows the user to select a local font).
It's not even worth discussing which languages to support unless you're doing the translations yourself.

Use utf-8 and you get easy english and automatic support for literally everything. Your question is pointless.

UTF-8 is bloat.

Also the point is to exclude people on purpose.

The thing is for supporting RTL, you also have to redo your user interface so it is made for right to left text. If everything is LTR you can pretty much just get away with replacing text without having to mess with any other part of your program.

How and/or why?
Or are you just a nocoder who repeats Terry Davis memes ad infinitum

If it's a library I wouldn't bother translating it, anyone who programs has to know English. Otherwise what said, Adding a translation should be as simple as dropping a folder or a ZIP or something into a directory.

Japs are smart but kanji is an objectively stupid writing system.

Attached: fag.jpg (423x590, 236.86K)

It works for them for how the language has evolved. You can't just write japanese in something like the korean system or roman letters because the language has very few sounds and there are so many words that have the exact same string of syllables. If you know some japanese and have tried to read roumaji you'd know that it's almost impossible to understand a somewhat complex text like that. They need the visual clue that is the kanjis for them to read quickly and not get confused.

This fag is correct. Japanese has hiragana, which students of the language learn first, but it gets ambiguous pretty quick. HASHI = はし can mean a bunch of different things, for example. 箸 = chopsticks, 橋 = bridge, not to mention a bunch of anachronistic terms. I won't say it isn't difficult, but it does work reasonably well.

Attached: full ainsley.png (1001x1001, 764.96K)

Not only that, but they help break up words since you don't have spaces between them.

At least 56

I can't imagine trying to read Japanese without kanji. If it had spaces and was thinner (non monospace as well maybe) it might be doable, like trying to read Cyrillic, but points out that they have very few sounds. It would be tough.

Nintendo supports (order of importance, for them):
Japanese, English, Spanish (Spain, Latin America), French (France, Canada), German, Italian

Less often: Korean, Russian, Chinese (Simplified, Traditional)

Due to the way the programming languages and the job market work, most good developers will know English.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_Internet_users
Can someone find a way to separate this list by language? (example: Colombia has 28.2 million internet users. Over 99% of Colombia's population speaks Spanish, so Colombia adds 28.2 million Spanish speakers to the count)
China is still a pain in the ass though, you can't really market with them until you set up some kind of branch in that country.

can you read?

Ok, J-neoliberal. I care about quality. I'd much rather have Italians than a mountain of Gaokao Chongzi Renjian graduate Chinese.

Please learn history. Although Classical Chinese is most commonly thought of being written top to bottom, right to left, it was also written left to right.

The smart ones with a high enough VERBAL IQ will know English anyway.

English only. If you cannot read english you are either incompetent retard or east asian.

CJK could make sense by itself, but not in combination with english - while there are plenty of competent, high IQ, non-english speaking asians, language barrier is too high to make any use of them.

Attached: POMF =3 transparent.png (400x528, 151.91K)

English, Spanish, French, German, Italian can all be reduced to a smaller latin set. Cyrillic languages gets their own set. Chinese, Japanese Kanji can both be bundled together.
Injuns should just STFU and use a tag-based system to reduce variation. Muzzies just use one singular Arabic. Vietnam and Thai? Maybe. Malay and Phillipines? Full english transliteration.

CJK should just use combination characters to reduce the character space.
github.com/amake/cjk-decomp

Just don't add garbage languages like (((Hebrew))), Arabic languages, nigger languages, Indian and so on.

This

kys asshole

Fuck off. I like having my programs in my native language stupid amerifuck

I see.

anata baka desu. kanji daijobu desu. romaji janai.

By that list. Hindi needs to be included. After all 90% of pajeets are illiterate in English.

Why don't you write the hànzì. Then I'll know what you mean by "Gaokao Chongzi Renjian".

seldom

No injun and muzzie languages.
Vietnam and Thai are too complicated.
Malay, Indonesia and Philippines use latin script. So no problem.

>Just don't add garbage languages like (((Hebrew))), Arabic languages, nigger languages, Indian and so on.
Seconded

Ok fuck French. I don't like them that much. (But what about Quebec?)

So new list should be:
English
Spanish
Chinese
German
Japanese
Russian

Attached: agreeing-with-people-on-internet.jpg (232x700, 43.52K)

it's not hard to read romaji in context if you're fluent. but, it would become almost impossible after a few generations if kanji didn't exist. so the point stands.

That makes no sense. Are you saying there are words which are pronounced the same but written differently? What kind of fucked up language would that be? And if you cannot shoehorn Japanese into the Latin alphabet then make a new alphabet for the language. I'm not a fan of shoehorning everything into Latin anyway.

English, Chinese, Japanese, and many other languages have homophones.

Fek' al vi, aĉulo.

Just do Lojban for our future robot overlords, and Esperanto for everyone else.

All this Esperanto shilling. Who could create such a thing?

(((Who))) could it be now?
It's L. L. (((Zamenhof))).

And to add to it, Esperato is a bloated piece of shit. If it were created today it would only need three elements
Which means something like "Diversity is our strength"
Which translates to "Multiculturalism is great"
and of course
Which as expected would translate to about "Remember the six million" or "All white people must die" depending on the situation.

Yeah, but when English is replacing all other languages currently, it's not globalism and anti-culturalism! It must be specified it's global! American culture is just superior to others anyways.

might as well support swedish too then

Off yourself.

Well fuck me I only didn't get the first and last word but I can imagine the meaning anyway. I guess I'm picking up nipspeak so might as well start actually learning it.

Yeah, The "Americanization" of continental Europe is a direct consequence of WW2.
It is just that everybody below 50 doesn't even know about the time before MacDonalds was everywhere. Everybody below 40 gets mtv shoved down their throat during childhood.
And all the cancer invented in the States ends up invading European countries half a decade later.

But that same cancer allows me to communicate somewhat freely with other people around the world so at least it has some positive side effects.

Go back to Zig Forums. Better yet, off yourself. Gotta make this planet a bit of a better place.

Major steps in i18n related bloat:

* ascii master race
* utf8 decoding and utf glyph mapping (all common Indo-European languages at once, and then some)
* large fonts, multiple fonts, double-width characters (CJK, if done right also emojis)
* basic combining characters (no new languages lol)
* bidi (Hebrew)
* ligatures (Arabic, Indian languages)

Intentionally omitting Russian support could be useful to keep subhumans out. Alas, the language is so unremarkable when it comes to i18n it's almost impossible.

that's why i posted it as a joke, Esperanto is always a joke
come on now, how can you take Esperanto seriously?

Japanese can technically be written in a native alphabet system of their invention. They just continue to use the Chinese characters in writing out of formality.

Oy vey. How about no?

Just learn some grammar and romaji and you can speak Japanese too.

Completely agree. Kanji is unnecessary in Japanese. After all when it is spoken the natives can easily understand it.

Then tell me genius, how are you going to fight bloat? Is it our fault, so many languages of the world does not use Latin script? We can just include their romanization if they want.

So are spaces, capital letters, punctuation, and so on in English. Just because they aren't necessary, it doesn't mean those features don't make the language easier to read.

Written English uses spaces because there aren't very many good ways to define word-boundaries, when even in spoken English those boundaries are pretty vague. Things like stress and tone, which are usually non-phonemic, and also vary across dialect, so we use spaces as a compromise.
Japanese uses the three different writing systems to tell word boundaries apart where it'd be difficult otherwise, but the same can be accomplished with spaces, or literally anything else.

Only spaces and newlines are mandatory for writing retard. Have you seen any ancient manuscript? Those contain none other than spaces. Like this, prefectly readable:

so are spaces capital letters punctuation and so on in english
just because they arent necessary it doesnt mean those features dont make the language easier to read

Also this. English has liaisons just like French. Still we can understand English just fine.
Nips are just retards and lazy enough to reform their writing using lame alibi like tradition, readability etc.

We don't want conlangs because they are utterly useless.

Attached: calling-bullshit.jpg (236x418, 11.91K)