The cure to the cancer

I want to start a discussion about the solution to the cancer that is plaguing technology. Technology is the only thing I really care about in my life. I am not talking about bugman's toys (consumer hardware gadgets) nor enterprise blackbox "solutions" (proprietary software and services). I love Free Software, because it puts me in control of the things I care about.

But the state of FOSS is garbage. We have sea of bloated, unmaintainable projects that the only way to get better solution is to rewrite it (NIH) instead of contribute. There is no standardization on the use of the underlying technologies and the lack of man power is also a severe problem. Some communities try to fix this problem by fixating on minimalism (Suckless), but often go too far (useless solution to 90% of the potential userbase) or are just experiments - developer loses interest in project (Stali). Others just pander to braindead population to gather just enough shekels so the project can survive while they develop software that will never be finished and always be broken (KDE, GNOME...).

Linux desktop is a joke. GNU is bloat. Suckless is useless. Documentation is a non-existent. Distros are dying left and right and realistically have a bus factor of 1. Those that are safe are too much influenced by the (((enterprise))).

I know anons hate when people talk about "we". But there is a reason we gather here and are passionate about similar things, so what can "we" do? I feel powerless and useless. Probably because in reality I am just that, but I blame it on not seeing a clear path I must follow. Imageboard people have been notoriously bad at executing any project successfully, but if not imageboards where do you find dedicated people to the things we love that are not total beta cucks. I want to make something of myself, I want to build my own future.

Is it possible to create a community that will agree and work on a cure to the cancer in technology by providing a alternative of software which uses a standardized tech stack and development protocols? Something like OpenBSD represents, but go even further to solve the Free Software desktop "problem".

Attached: yamero.jpg (631x534, 50.64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

olimex.com/Products/SOM/A20/A20-SOM-EVB/open-source-hardware
olimex.com/Products/SOM/A13/A13-SOM-256/
olimex.com/Products/SOM/A20/A20-SOM/
youtube.com/watch?v=PowUYedShYQ
forum.armbian.com/topic/3327-asus-tinkerboard/?page=9&tab=comments
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OpenBSD has most of the bases covered already. The one thing /g/ could do is help port packages to BSD that are worthwhile.

FOSS is fine. It's just the ratio of good to bad FOSS is growing completely out of wack. People need a half assed project they can put on a resume to go get a job working in Java.

The only sore point is audio. Otherwise any standard openbox setup is literally just fine for most workflows/uses.

Different philosophies compared to BSD

People think doing one thing well isn't as good as looking feature-ful. Unix Pipes a re a kickass philosophy and it'd be better if a meta-program was imagined where newer programs that offer different functionality are simply a composition of the system's primitive programs coupled with pipes.

OpenBSD is good in developing this I think, because the documentation is so good you actually learn the system and could possibly think like that.

The programmers are there already. We just need more BFDL's like Theo De Raadt.

I have a chatroom that we can migrate to.
$500 in Bitcoin to get in.
$600 for you if you stay for six months and actually develop code.

Yes, it's a ransom to prevent you from leaving. If you leave, you lose the money. If you stay, you get some profit. It's not about the money though, obviously. It's about getting people to have a motivation to actually stay.

The chatroom is ready. Anyone want to join?

How about killing yourself instead?

That's what I thought too, but I'd rather see code written than make what'll amount to a month's paycheck.

reddit is gay but "reddit spacing" simply looks nicer.

If the nerds want more money and pussy to do a good job, then they ought to do a better job of courting donations sponsorships and sub-licenses.

Thought about retrocomputing?

stay poozed nigger. you're just a mouth-breathing whiner dumb little bitch with zero "coding" skill anyway. you can't lift your own fatass weight, let alone forking & maintain linux projects :^)

Attached: 6dea7836c748bb4936527f723eb5cebdd3d84d9984ebe67359bac3a68d5c50e2.jpg (757x1024, 62.98K)

I lifted and walked today
there is very little gain in this low quality trolling for you
please reevaluate your online personas and hobbies

Attached: d18fcc1640114d436e8023ac9d16d6b8ab819a3ce038baf6ef021f0208e51698.jpg (605x454, 85.9K)

You don't have the money, influence or power to change the situation. Even if you had the perfect solution you couldn't implement it because of that. All you're doing is intellectually masturbating.

Linus started Linux without any money, influence, or power and look how far it got.

Don't listen to these blackpill shills OP, if you've honestly got the conviction and drive to follow through with something like this you can take it as far as you want to go

Because those with the money, power and influence decide to adavance linux for their own purposes. They effectiveley are taking it over with all the DRM (e.g. google/hdcp) and shitty cde (intel spectre "fixes") they force in. There is also the COC controversy where they forced Linus to bend over and adopt a corporate-friendly PR persona, against his personal beliefs that he has strongly and repeatedly expressed over the years.
Nice boomer meme btw, have you tried facebook?

Attached: smith_of_your_own_fortune.PNG (622x377, 371.28K)

Yes goy, don't ever try to change anything. Just give up and let us do everything ourselves.

Go back to cuckchan you fucking kike

This is cuckchan newfriend

Explain to me why OP can't achieve his goal of working towards an alternative tech stack. It's been done before, you're the exact type of blackpilled loser who would have been telling Linus and RMS to not even try in the 80s and 90s. I mean who are they to compete with AT&T and Microsoft? Just a couple guys against monopolistic behemoth corporations who dominated the computing landscape of that era. Yet they were able to inspire and convince huge groups of people to not only use their software, but to contribute to and improve it. I'm sure there are loads of people out there with technical ability who feel the same way towards the politicization of free software today as people in the 90s felt towards the proliferation of proprietary software. You can try to blackpill people all you want, but there is no reason why a group of motivated individuals with the appropriate skillset couldn't do what OP wants to do

It's open source developers who resist change because they're all autistic.

Everything starts at the hardware level. The typical "desktop" shit is a bunch of nasty bloated softwares running on pozzed hardware with often hard dependencies on 3D hardware acceleration. That's pretty much the opposite of what you want to aim for, if you care about being free and remaining in control of your projects. The retro computer stuff is a good idea, but you don't even have to go to that extent. There's a number of cheapass ARM boards that can also do the trick. Personally I recommend the older A20 SoC based ones, since they're quite cheap, well-supported by various OS, and don't have any of the security flaws like Meltdown/Spectre type bugs. Some boards have 1 GB RAM and native SATA, which ought to be plenty enough for non-bloated, non-shit software. A lot of them can also interface with Arduino boards and similar microcontroller stuff, which is another great way to escape the bloated modern, pozzed shitware.

Attached: CubieTruck.png (1080x1080, 908.26K)

This is a good direction to go in. I have to admit I've been feeling for a while that the "next step" in enthusiast technology will be away from raw numbers and increasing cost of hardware, and more toward getting more out of limited hardware. I had the most fun I've had with a computer for ages when I used a Pi on the TTY as a distraction-free writing environment.

Even a Pi 1 (using Pis as an example due to how well-known they are, but the same applies to all SoCs) SHOULD have more than enough to manage what enthusiasts want of a computer.

Even storage isn't an issue since most of what I've got left after a clean out of my backups is text that fits on a 64GB USB stick.

It's simple really: Come up with a business model and put a job listing up here

If anyone can do it, it's dedicated autists. Probably the only hope we have left.

Nuke it and start from scratch. Creating alternatives to anything isn't all that viable. Forks are not alternatives, it's just more stagnation and another excuse to not reinvent anything. Technology has been enormously stagnant for decades, so like with most issues, the only solution is for the industry to die (money ruins everything, so if it doesn't make money, then it shouldn't be ruined anymore), or for everyone involved to die. Find a way to go back to the 80s and stay there this time. That would be the ideal solution. Some kind of disaster that kills off 90% of the Earth's population could help get rid of the normalfags as well. If normalfags can use technology and it gets to their hands because of some kind of financial benefit, technology will be ruined again every single time. They simply can't have it if you don't want it to be shit.

There is no cure. And this is the only blackpill.
The whole world is going to burn because of the Jewry. Your free software has been taken over by the CoCk,
You must fight the Jew.

Alright, I'll throw out an idea.

The hardest part of this is building the software stack from the ground up. We already have working hardware for $40 and we can 3D print plastic cases and glue in metal frames and supports later for mount holes and stuff. That's not an issue. The issue is building a kernel. We can port and use existing file systems, compilers, and a lot of other tools so we have a bit of a head start. My vision for this theoretical system is something that looks and feels like MacOS 9, NeXTSTEP, or Unix with Motif, or maybe Windows 3.11. The GUI would have a nice grey, boxy style to it with bitmapped fonts.

Rate.

Attached: 1516490615958.png (1024x910, 88.17K)

We don't need to create it from the ground up. The worst part is how nowadays everything is glued together with no real effort to polish the connections between the nuts and bolts.

Why not a single Linux distro comes with Wine running out of the box is still a mystery to me. You'd think developers would ship with reasonable defaults (such as being able to run software from the OS that dominates the market) but no. Linux users are losers and that's the reason their OS is still shit after all these decades. They fear success since they never had it.

Just focus on improving what's out there: Haiku is a great start. Some BSD shit could work. Just polish the fuck out of them and make them NICE to use.

The hardware is ready. I'd say don't even think about it. There are two pieces of that puzzle and one of them is on the right track (Risc-V). The other piece, decent GPUs, well I don't know how it could be solved unless you think buying AMD is good enough.

We bring ReactOS to a stable state and live off charging companies to run their legacy crap in something other than Win10. They'll be delighted. The business model is in charging them to make those old applications work, which might entail creating the necessary parts in the OS (say, ODBC support).

Repeating numbers are never wrong.

I would like to put something like that in a desktop case that I have, running whatever OS happens to be compatible from an SSD, but I haven't looked into it. Ports should be an issue, though. This kind of hardware really lacks flexibility. I just wish building an equivalent desktop was actually possible, but everything is shit, so it's not.

No, Linux (the kernel) is bloated trash that needs to be recompiled every time you change something, or when you want new features. Having operating systems that are a clusterfuck of backwards compatibility is why we're in this mess right now, and you want to continue it?
That's unreasonable as fuck, you dumb nigger. Even an operating system built from scratch to be compatible at the API level (ReactOS) so that syscalls can be made natively by programs is still shit. You obviously don't understand anything about this stuff. WINE is a compatibility layer.
That's because it was built from the ground up to be a desktop OS but it's still half baked shit because of more backwards compatibility with a 20 year old OS that never had any software.
Lol no, BSD is 90s Unix. It's shit.
Stop shilling this trash. RISC-V is an open source instruction set architecture in that it provides a certain outward facing specification for developers. It does not however include any processor designs or schematics. There can and will be closed source RISC-V implementations. In fact, there are no open source RISC-V chips on the market at all.

Attached: 1538617048121.jpg (370x400, 112.64K)

Yes. Breaking backwards compatibility won't do shit to further your cause. Your clean slate can get started in parallel to what already exists.

Where in my post have I stated it isn't? Why is that not installed in any distro by default?

I wonder if their limited amount of developers has anything to do with it's quality level.

No matter what plans you come up with you lack the power and money to implement them. You're just intellectually masturbating.

But we don't lack the time, which is the most important thing

Yes it will, faggot. I want a fast, light and secure system. I don't give a fuck about running win32 software. Install Windows if that's what you want, you fucking downie.
>Why is that not installed in any distro by default?
Because it's bloat that introduces a massive security hole by having compatibility with over 20 years of low quality dumpster fire shitware. No one cares about your gayemz, you massive nigger. Buy a console, faggot.
Or maybe it has to do with them reverse engineering 20 year old poorly made software and rewriting it all from scratch.
ARM is excellent for single board computers and embedded applications. For workstations there's already POWER9. The Talos II workstations are the most powerful RISC machines ever made, and they sell for about $2200 for the base model. That's the future of RISC desktop computing, not some fucking RISC-V reddit pipe dream. The Talos machines can be run with 100% free and open source software as well. They exist right now, and RISC-V doesn't.
Okay, good for you, retard. They don't exist. Get back to me when an open implementation is anything more than a figment of your imagination.

I'm sick and fucking tired of faggots like you promoting bad ideas and vaporware and asking for things that are nearly impossible. You're the kind of retard holding back progress. You are the problem. Fuck off back to wherever you came from.

An interesting comparison is UO shards. You'll find there's a million variations of the same thing, because choice is always better.

But then you connect and realise they are all half dead. So someone comes along to solve the problem and makes another retro shard, and now there are a million + 1 half dead shards.

I agree 100% with you that it would be great if all OS projects weren't dragging along years of shit because it has to cater to every current use case on linux.

Too be fair if you actually care about performance that's pretty much your only option

Now there is your real problem. The farther you dig, the more you will see this stack of cards called modern technology is the true downfall of humanity.

It's more important for an OS to just be usable for basic shit. Everything else can be taken care of later, and incompatible software can always be made compatible later on using a compatibility layer. Additional software can take care of that, it doesn't have to be part of the actual system. The problem is that even accomplishing basic tasks tends to require way too much complexity nowadays, and simplicity is exactly what we need. Simplicity is freedom.

Attached: c3a9a44da68267e9bc3fed9bdf44b5e22895d02d3588c4547f391eb243cea6f1.webm (780x438, 15.18M)

unless you just enable module loading

I think the first issue the person(s) who will actually do anything about the modern technology should address is fragmentation.
Instead of having one objectively best way to do a certain thing—which is what engineering is all about—we have twenty “competing”—because they don't actually compete—software projects and neither of them are the best, only the parts of them. The fact that Linux distributions even exist is a good example of this problem.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (960x794, 487.17K)

Alright, this is bricks-for-brain stupid. Let's assume for the sake of argument that multiple organizations researching the same technological concept is a bad thing; still, not every company is an engineering firm. There are industries where the sheer volume of production is of utmost importance. So yes, you do want multiple firms competing in that field, even if that comes at the cost of some (vague) level of redundancy. A primary example would be food production, because undershooting its production can completely destabilize a nation.

I hope you realize that your perfect system would not be able to run a web browser as 1) that would likely take all of the resources of your project and 2) the web is a giant clusterfuck of backwards compatibility hacks.

It's pretty obviously that meme image doesn't apply to everything, user.

and the pursuit of backward compatibility is a cancer that make it really hard to make competing products.

I completely agree. I was just pointing out that you were promoting the so-called "vaporware" that you condemned others for.

That's the web's problem. If it wasn't shit, then it wouldn't require really shitty software to access, and it wouldn't be this bloated in the first place. And it's another example of how making anything good kinda requires everything else to just get out of the way. That's why a complete reset would be the easy way out. Maybe just make a good computer and then run a shitty browser on a VM or compatibility layer. These things are already bloated enough as they are, so I think making it a little bit worse so you can have a good system would be worth it. Your offline experience should always be prioritized anyway.

Terry is dead, but we are still here.

>>>/trannypol/

Newfags really think Zig Forums is just /g/. Place's gone to the dogs for years now. It's gotten slightly better recently but we've still got a retard infestation from 4chan that doesn't recognize the difference between 4chan and Zig Forums. Probably some of the most annoying shit is when a retard gets banned for 4chan and envisions Zig Forums (which admittedly despises shitty moderation) as a safe haven to be a full-on retarded shitposter (which it is not) and starts LARPing as an oldfag or shit while being a serious case of newfag cancer.

You can usually tell the 4chan posters by their general retardation, low effort posts, and excessive memeposting habits though.

If the only software you're willing to make is software no one else is willing to use, you have no place in a meritocratic community and should join Terry

It's pretty obvious that it applies to almost nothing. Unless you're a magical CIAnigger who can predict exactly what is needed and in what quantity and which supply chains to depend on and so on, redundancy through competition is the only way things will ever be plentiful and affordable. It isn't uncommon to have a single firm/contractor to allow multiple product teams throughout the business compete with one another on a single request for proposal. More submissions to the customer increase the odds of proposal success and intracompany competition adds pressure to succeed. Often times the RFP is so vague that upper management doesn't have a chance at predicting which team/program manager is best suited to write a winning proposal so there is literally no "right" choice other than a shotgun approach if the contract is large enough to justify the risk.

Real world isn't clean/efficient. It is often a cluster fuck of groups of people doing whatever they can think of to bring in the business. Why do you think sales dudes that most people on this board would consider to be idiots often make so much more money than the 1337 engineers? They're able to find a way through all of the inherent chaos of the world to get a signature on a contract that will pay for the engineers' children's food and shelter for the next X years.

Well oiled machines do happen but they're the exception rather than the rule.

I don't know what anyone else is doing, but I had an Amiga in the early 90's and it kicked ass. I always regret "upgrading" to a 486, when I could have instead bought an Amiga 3000 for about 1/2 the cost. Keeps me awake at night.
So here's the deal: I don't care at all what normies want, and what businesses want because it's just a lot of bullshit. THey're the reason the PC and Windows survived and nice things like Amiga and Atari and dead. So all the discussion related to what the rest of the world is doing is kinda pointless, because they're only going to keep making worse technology. Right now they have CPUs full of bugs, and still they want to keep pushing more higher resolution HD video, fancier 3D games, and other crap I don't need and never cared about.
What other people want is garbage. They like to eat fucking garbage and pay lots of money for it. If you're looking for concensus, that's where you're headed, because that's "what's needed" by the industry. But, if you want something more fulfilling, you have to do like Terry Davis did and build it yourself. It's the only way.

Incorrect.

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:

hide and report

Kek, just use Windows already. Or get one of those SJWpi's with the Broadcom shits and run Winlux on it. That's where you belong, nigger.

You should get the idea

Attached: f27b707fc32cf9ece20165a2832386e574a2d2fd2855e85f5af32a6f8e9273bc.png (777x888, 188.2K)

yeah, knee-jerk replying to something that hurt your feelings is indeed a shitty leftist meme from reddit

Agree. This also means that what you and I want doesn't matter unless we can pull off a linux or something similar in scope. The difficulty in doing so is orders of magnitude higher than it was back when Linus started sharing his OS over BBS. Hate to sound blackpill but things are so bad compared to the earlier days of computing that we might as well go full luddite.

Until it all collapses, the normie demand is king.

Agree. Most people want garbage re: technology. (They don't want it honestly/knowledgeably, just as they don't want their prepackaged consumer lives sent to them honestly. We've been deceived by a combination of greedy capital and sociopathic leadership which, combined, pervert the benefits of markets and destroy the integrity of governments.)

Without divine-level intervention Terry's quest is going to die in obscurity without having helped anybody. I love the man and miss him if he's actually dead. I miss him either way. There's no way the wider world will care about TempleOS, though.

It hasn't taken long for those among us who consider themselves "intellectuals" to devolve to a depressingly base level of communication. Compare texts written two hundred years ago to the prose of today's "best" writers and academics: our ability to write has been destroyed by the public school system and the overall audience-meme culture of equality and degeneracy.

The normie distribution is the consumer distribution. There is no way for an individual or even a concerted group of individuals to fight against few hundred million consumers and their puppet masters. The charisma and intellect required is too high. Trump can't win. Caesar couldn't win. The normies fuel the machine. The only way that will change is if normies themselves feel threatened on the whole, which will only happen if we are at the point of total societal collapse; at this point Zig Forums plebs best start shooting and scavenging. Seems that a slow decline into a dim or dark age similar to those of the past is most likely--those who have created civilization forget themselves and invite savagery and degeneracy into their defenseless midst.

What's so different now compared to when linus started to write his kernel that make it so the same feat cannot be replicated?

>>>Zig Forums

Attached: 2969938c831888c352c6566a2116c78872c43bf1334c8b2183140180d0a9fe3f.png (905x767, 515.58K)

The amount of software required to build a functioning OS across the hardware available.

Imagine Linus sitting in his living room tonight, typing away in an editor in an attempt to support enough modern hardware that he'll be able to gain a support/contrib base. It isn't impossible but there is so much more friction and so much more bullshit required that it won't happen without a driven, young individual who is autistic enough to build the next thing nearly solo. Keep in mind that it will also be orders of magnitude more LOC than early linux. An improvement will not be born in a joint effort (at least not to begin with since it takes a religious level of vision), and the amount of work to be done to support modern hardware is too much for a single person.

My uncles created a successful hardware/software company back in the 80s/90s and were bought out (via legal threat). When I speak with them about entrepreneurship the common refrain is "it's a different world these days" (they work for megacorps/govt now). There is still opportunity for entrepreneurs but it seems like it is all in the realm of methods to trick normies into buying bullshit they don't really want or selling the ability to sell ads to the sociopaths among us.

I forgot to add:

The retro computing stuff that pops up from time to time and even has a thread or two right now are probably our only hope. A free future seems to suggest an intervening period of digital attacks which require non-backdoored(IME) hardware. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to live through the beginning of full-tech culture (as well as living through the culling).

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. PC are the way they are today because of normies. Everything had to be made really simple so more stuff could be sold to them. Now, they are moving toward content consumption devices (phones, etc) so fewer PC are being sold.
Wouldn't it be possible to create a new architecture completely, without the all the cruft accumulated throughout the years AND without the stuff to enable normies to buy computer stuff? If it's too hard to implement, drop PnP, drop USB, etc.
Now, I definitely don't expect big consumer computing manufacturer to join this movement, so I'm wondering how hard it would be to build a simple motherboard, more like retro computers were. Now, we don't need to go retro, just go simpler.

You can do it, at least for the part of the board that has ports, power circuitry, and so forth. They sell ARM SoM designed to plug into any board designed to accomodate it. Of course the SoM itself is a multi layer PCB. But it's a way to get started anyway. Here's an example board (the part you would design yourself):
olimex.com/Products/SOM/A20/A20-SOM-EVB/open-source-hardware
And some available SoM:
olimex.com/Products/SOM/A13/A13-SOM-256/
olimex.com/Products/SOM/A20/A20-SOM/

I hope you never find out about hardware and firmware.

Damnit, meant for OP.

You're a complete retard.
You complain about normies needing simple stuff, and then say you'd drop USB if it was too hard to implement.

please, go take a look at the USB specifications. USB is fucking hell.
Just USB 3.2 is ~600 pages long. Compare that to the PS/2 keyboard and mouse connector's 20 pages document.
And let's not ignore that they charge $5000 for a fucking official vendor ID.

Kentucky.

I don't know what's the obsession with basement dwellers like you about wanting less features.

It's hell for a reason, and that reason is USB working much better than PS/2 while covering far more use cases.
If you're so willing to reinvent the wheel to keep the normies out, at least have the decency not to complain about things being difficult.

DIN-5 connector is safer, you can hotplug it without risk of short circuit. My keyboard is old and has one of those connectors, so I have to use two adaptors in series for DIN->PS2->USB, and it still sucks because the keyboard sometimes falls off the bus and becomes dead, so have to unplug and plug it back in. Miss the old school mobos tbh.

literally what is USB doing better than PS/2?

Imagine if in '69 there was a competition to get to the Moon between NASA, SpaceX and some other US corporations.

then head on over to >>>/g/ or reddit where you can find more normal people like yourself

Attached: 26bb4bcac616be5a560e684494c6f76459ad6f6182ea0d1931d7de290a3a110e.jpg (750x551, 46.42K)

being universal
have you bought any peripheral or external hardware in the past 10 years? I personally have never seen PS/2 connections for external hard drives, flash storage or device syncing/charging.

try "developers"
not enough people are finding bugs, so its not getting better in a rush

trust the plan

Maybe powerpc or riscv will pan out. I can't imagine that anything super simple will win re: peripherals. A 600pg spec standard that works easily for everything will beat a 20pg spec standard that is much more limited every time. The thing that an OS dev looking to usurp the status quo in the way you'd like must do is to create an i/o standard which is simple enough for enthusiasts to write yet widespread enough for a multitude of devices. Methinks thats impossible and something like USB would result.

I say go backwards. The important stuff (human knowledge, art, etc) can be shared via text browsers and download commands in a terminal. 1980s tech combined with modern net infrastructure is enough to share meaningful things. Kill browsers/apps/etc and we're halfway there.

Really, nigger? Haiku can run a web browser. So can Plan 9, Sculpt OS, and all kinds of other obscure "from scratch" systems. Making a web browser isn't hard. Go back to reddit, you fucking faggot.

He was talking just about keyboards, since that's what used PS/2. I like DIN-5, but whatever, PS/2 works almost as well. USB sucks donkey dick.
SCSI worked fine for stuff like hard drives, scanners, and other miscelaneous devices. Had a SCSI HDD on my Amiga 500, worked great. The HDD enclosure even had a passthrough for the SCSI bus to attach external peripherals (this was pretty much a standard/expected feature).
Printers worked fine on the parallel port. That was a simple interface which could also be used for other purposes (e.g. PLIP networking or similar).
Serial ports worked fine for basic comms, like modems and managing various devices. The fucking industry jews even took this basic port off modern PCs and now you have to buy something like pic-related in order to get the same functionality. But most ARM SBCs still have this at least, along with lots of other useful pins (another good reason to move to ARM).
The PC has become a completely consumer-oriented system where they removed useful/basic functionality and replaced it with bloated crap. And on top of that, there isn't just one USB type of port, so you have to buy adapters, hubs, and other shit. It's not an improvement at all, and I'd rather it never existed.

Attached: convertiseur-usb-20-serie-ttl-uart-cp2102.jpg (600x600, 55.25K)

Beep beep LARPer radar going off!

Good luck finding laptop with serial, parallel ports. My last one to have those was IBM Thinkpad R51.
Of course you can find boards that still have the old ports. You can even buy 4:3 monitors, if you look in the industrial equipment vendor catalogs. Be ready to pay extra money...

oh good point, i better stick with linux and firefug then

Actually (just checked) the R51 only has parallel. Have to go back to T30 to have a serial port, without needing docking station or other shit.
Anyway whatever, I'm not going to buy another PC system again, so not my problem anymore.

Huh? You only need that to be fully (((Web 2.0))) compliant. But any computer can run some kind of simple web browser. I'm posting here with Links, in fact (it doesn't do javascript or CSS).
youtube.com/watch?v=PowUYedShYQ

read the docs nigger

No, explain in your own words why USB is better than PS/2 and the other ports.

The U stands for "Universal."

So you don't know what you are talking about.
This is the state of Zig Forums now, niggers who can barely plug a cable in their internet box. Keep debating which browser you should use then.

lazy normie

No, you answer me this: how do you connect an HDD to the PS/2 port and make it work?

You don't, and nobody implied you did. The whole argument is that the already existing ports solutions worked fine and in some cases better, and with less buggy and bloated code necessary. USB is a symptom of the degeneration of the computer industry, where now having tiny connector that fits your tiny ass phone is more important than stability and solid code. It even affected the ARM SBC scene, where RPi and its copycats used microUSB connector for power, to hillariously disastrous effects. See here for some discussion on that (and there's are dozens of other similar threads on this forum and related ones):
forum.armbian.com/topic/3327-asus-tinkerboard/?page=9&tab=comments
Pic is an excerpt of that thread. Notice how fucked-up things got because they used fucking USB instead of regular, old power connectors. Notice how they even went to the trouble of modifying their kernel to LIE to the user about the performance he was getting. And that's a direct result of shoving USB everywhere it doesn't belong, because everything is marketing-driven now, to sell garbage to consumers who don't know jack shit about technology and will suck the industry jews dick at every opportunity.
So anyway, whoever's paying attention knows not to use those shit USB things for power, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Just like Intel shouldn't have become buggy shit with 30+ recent exploits and cianigger firmware.
But at least there's alternatives. You can buy ARM SBCs that have real power jacks that can actually supply 5V or whatever the board requires and enough current for the devices attached, without the CPU cores being throttled to minimum or the board shutting off completely. And you can buy boards that give the user full control over the firmware via U-boot, and with CPU that doesn't have all the Intel bugs.

Attached: wtf.png (953x764, 131.83K)

Thanks for the info but what I see there is a crappy implementation, not a crappy standard.

How would you prevent it from the point of view of the USB consortium?

You don't. The USB consortium is not in charge. The various merkteting departments of all these shitty tech companies are in charge. They will do whatever the fuck they want, so long as it can save them a few cents here and there. And they'll keep lying and cheating their customers, and spying on them and so on.
So now it's up to you to do the hard work to research what hardware and software are fucked, and to avoid them and use alternatives. And then you'll find out that most of the products out there today are absolute garbage.

No, you don't connect a HDD to a PS/2 port nigger, just like you don't connect a HDD to a HDMI port either. And no, don't think about connecting one to the RJ45 jacks you may find around.
It just dawn on me, there are kids who never used a computer without a USB port on this board. To them, USB is THE peripheral port.

Attached: 1.jpg (910x480, 39.09K)

woah