AmigaOS

How good of an operating system is it? What are the pros and cons of using? How good are any of the spin-offs of it, such as AROS?

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1600x1000, 1.27M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XbGmbrhtC3M
cybernetman.com/en/all-in-one-pc/Keyboard-pc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_PCW
wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page
riscosopen.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There was a scene that you could've enjoyed
in 1990 or so.

They are memes. On x86 it's strait insulting.
Amiga=custom hardware + the software.
Anything calling itself that today is just larping. Boomers who can't let go of the past mostly.
Commodore is dead and not coming back
MOS is dead and not coming back

Attached: amigamainimage-1.jpg (620x349, 299.92K)

Isn't OpenIndiana similar to Amiga? Or Haiku? I forget which one, but use those.

Isn't OpenIndiana similar to Amiga? Or Haiku? I forget which one, but use those.

AROS is the version that's still being worked on through bounties posted to power2people.org , modern Amiga has been dead for years and the people that own the name only use it to make money off nostalgia from fanboys. There's also MorphOS that has a small dedicated following in Europe.

That's derived from Solaris. It's an Unix system, nothing to do with Amiga.

And that's based on BeOS, also nothing to do with Amiga.

Cons: An eco-system that for all intents and purposes is dead

Pros: Susumu Hirasawa uses it, so it's hands-down the best OS for making JPOP.

AROS is fine, I posted about it in a different thread here a few days ago. It's not quite up there with Linux but unlike other marginal OSes its actually usable on a daily basis, at least it was for me. If you want to use old Amiga legacy software it is dead easy to do so. It's open source as well.

MorphOS...haven't used it since IIRC it's proprietary closed source and there was some drama associated with it some time ago...but I hear it's more polished than AROS. Maybe I'll check it out someday, as it stands I'll probably let it slide for awhile.

As far as the stuff that's more strictly associated with the old Amiga/Workbench environments, I'm not entirely sure anyone uses those except Commodore enthusiasts these days. Personally I'd just use an Amiga emulator if you wanted to go down that route, but whatever floats your boat. I am aware there's a surprisingly high amount of third party Amiga hardware that's been made to accelerate graphics and compute performance so that old boxes aren't completely useless, but it's not a game I really feel like getting into.

Attached: Tower57 Amiga Port Video 17.webm (640x360, 12.03M)

I had a couple Amigas in the early 90's. They were great machines, and the OS was much better than DOS/Windows at the time. The GUI (Workbench) could even run fine on a 512K unexpanded A500. And the hardware was amazing compared to other computers (except maybe the more expensive japanese X68000), until finally the management ran the company into the ground. Otherwise the engineers had plans to migrate to PowerPC with onboard 3D GPU and a custom chip for full backwards compatibility with the old 680x0 Amigas.
If you want to experience what the old computers were like but don't feel like buying the real thing (they're kind of expensive now, having been caught up in the retro craze), you can run UAE. Might be a bit finicky to setup if you never used an Amiga, but there are tutorials. And if you happen to have an RPi laying around, there's Amibian. Here's a video that talks about it:
youtube.com/watch?v=XbGmbrhtC3M

Attached: magami_full.gif (800x600, 52.67K)

I wouldn't describe Hirasawa's music as J-Pop
It has that weird otherworldly feel to it
I love some of the orchestral influences

Wasn't BeOS conceptually similar to AmigaOS?

The form factor of the Amiga 500 and 600 was great, I wish computers with that design was still around.

good hardware and software
open source by design
written mostly in Assembly so super optimized

You mean just computer-in-a-keyboard form-factor, or something more particular?

It's one of those things where I do not understand why nobody is doing it. Take the SoC from a modern flagship phone, put it inside a mechanical keyboard and sell it for

There were a few models, but I guess no one was buying them.
For example cybernetman.com/en/all-in-one-pc/Keyboard-pc
Since you will need a monitor anyway, maybe it's easier to put SoC here. More room too.

BeOS is a POSIX, "almost" Unix like developed by an ex-Apple exec. Really slick OS at the time. I think made in the hopes Apple would buy them out, but Apple opted for Next and bringing Jobs back. The rest is history.

There have always been keyboard-computers (your favorite chinkshit marketplace should have cheaper alternatives to the ones you posted.), some even Commodore branded, but they are usually overpriced and/or underpowered.
Why monitor PCs never took off, besides everybody making iMac clones back in the day and Apple still sticking with the concept, is another thing that baffles me.

Amstrad made some that sold pretty well in the european market. They were Z80 systems. Their last model (pic) was a mistake though. It did have a rather fast Z80 clocked at 16 MHz, but by that time everyone was moving to PC and Win95 (pity too because I always like Z80 and CP/M more than x86 and Windows). They should have probably just gone into embedded systems or something instead. A lot of stuff ran Z80s back then, including many cash registers and those credit card swipping machines.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_PCW

Attached: alice-amstrad.jpg (556x741, 88.39K)

That could literally also be said about Windows or basically any contemporary operating system considering they all need to be "almost" POSIX in order to work with a modern CPU architecture.

Also here's one of their TV ads from back in the day.

Attached: Amstrad 8256 Word Processor TV advert-5kf-TbLgoyo.mp4 (320x240, 1.63M)

So, what is a good alternative OS to look into (Given the Linux is fucked)?

IBM OS/2

RISC OS on ARM processors.

Windows 98/XP on older hardware.

TempleOS on modern systems.

Make your own, it'll be fun. Imagine a world where trust in companies (and big projects like Linux) is so low and paranoia is so high that every tech literate person writes his own OS. It's what we're heading for, and I like it.

Attached: DreamInHolyC.png (1920x1080, 2.2M)

Windows and OS2 is literally nothing like POSIX.

But new Amigas are sold with PowerPC.

That would be awful. Everyone would be making Electron OSes and they would be taking 16 GiB of RAM all by themselves.

wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page
Godspeed.

Why contain it? Let the buffers overflow into the schools and churches, let the memory leaks pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.

Would you get an all-in-one now? I wouldn't. It's the worst of both worlds: not expandable like a tower, and not portable like a laptop. So it makes little sense for a regular home user. Although it makes sense for some business stuff, like a sales terminal or marketing kiosk, where you need something that will stay in one place but take little room.

AROS runs on x86.

Not for personal use, but I would consider them for the ease of replacing everything in one go, if I had to maintain a whole lot of desktops.

I think an all-in-1 today is just called a tablet. After all, they don't sell many CRTs anymore. So you just shove an ARM SBC into a thin case behind the display, and maybe throw in a detachable keyboard, and Bob's your uncle.

What's the easiest way to get into trying out AROS without resorting to the likes of Qemu?

... or running on my bare hardware.

Buy a workstation for 40$

VirtualBox is simple enough. Also, download V2.2.1 from the site instead of V2.2.3 and then update it.

Tried the hosted install of Icaros and didn't get too far.
I was hoping not to run in a VM but I did and was stuck in unusable screen sizes and such.
Guess I'll try running bare on an old laptop I was given.

I don't understand.

When Grub first starts up, select "Advanced boot options" and go for the 107624x768 setting. You'll have to do that every time until you install the OS and properly set the resolution.

Damn typo

Try RISC OS.

No WiFi on the rpi version, but ether works gud

riscosopen.org/

That looks like an OS for ARM systems. Not what I'm looking for.

Workbench 3.1 is still decent to use nowadays since I use my 500+ as my main PC for the most part right now. Has upgrades and shit to make it more effective, a good host of modern software to put the M68K CPU to good use. Really you'd need an accelerator to get the most out of it, like a Vampire or similar card.

Terms of spin offs, MorphOS, ApolloOS (for Vampire users), ICAROS. For WB3.1 and shit, Amibian for SBC shit, or UAE for PCs/consoles.

Inferior to TOS!

Not a very good os since it stole ideas from apple

As much as my love my old Amiga it's dead and development is dead. Don't fall down the rabbit hole to waste a bunch of money and become one of those sad boomers that think Commodore will come back any day now.

Amigas are good for games, making pixel art and use as digital typewriter. Everything else is a waste of time.