How much does cooling matter?

I'm building a new rig, and since CPU speed matters to me but I'm sick of Intel, I'm going with Ryzen. Now, in the past it seems overclocking was more relevant, but these Ryzen chips don't seem like they overclock much. Is it even worth it to get a beefy cooler, or even, a custom loop?

Seemingly, the best cooling possible would be a custom loop with a large radiator and good thermal paste or even liquid metal. But for what gain? Can you actually get, say, a Ryzen 2700X to be even 20% faster on single-thread performance? Because just the cooling would be the difference between the 2700X and a threadripper, or more RAM (Infinity Fabric makes RAM influence CPU speed).

Seemingly the cheaper route would be something like a Hyper 212 Evo, which is on par with shitty AIOs, or something beefy like a Dark Rock Pro 4, which is on par with the expensive AIOs. It doesn't seem as AIOs are better than the good air coolers.

But is third-party cooling even worth it on AMD, seeing as they make better stock coolers than usual now?

Attached: 203c878f_20151123_100610.jpg (5312x2988, 4.77M)

Another difference with Intel that I forgot to add, is that AMD solders their chips - some people de-lid their Intel chips and apply liquid metal to get the same effect, but AMD is seemingly sold at the top of its potential already.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1000x884, 1.16M)

Thermal paste is obsolete the new thing that people are using is thermal graphite sheets. They last forever and the newest variant from Panasonic has much better thermal performance than the best thermal paste. Even the older generation version that is sold on Amazon for PC builds is better than thermal paste. Just check out the threads about it on Overclock.net to see for yourself.

And that wraith cooler that comes with a Ryzen seems more than adequate, I wouldn't bother with a third party cooler.

Attached: Panasonic PGS Thermal Graphite Sheets high thermal conductivity chart.png (1200x529, 67.69K)

I have the stock cooler for my Ryzen. I've never had any cooling problems

I only saw a couple references to those thermal pads. Are you trolling?

Indeed, the only possible jump would be to a big-ass custom loop that may or may not improve performance. I can't imagine overclocking is power-efficient too...

Attached: thermal paste.png (464x928, 39.04K)

I've overclocked every CPU I've owned since the mid-90s on stock coolers. Only one that died was a first-gen P3. Generally stock cooling is fine. An aftermarket air cooler is better. Liquid cooling is typically retarded unless you're looking to break a record. They're cool to look at though just a pain in the ass to maintain.

If you have the case for, take one of those bigger heatsink that has a larger fan that can rotate slower. It makes less noise for the same heat transfer.

The included coolers from AMD are better than what Intel provide for their chips (my Ryzen 5 1600 came with one that had a copper core). But I still recommend using a third-party air cooler for OCing. Preferably one of the beefcakes if your case is large enough.

Only really matters if you're OC'ing. You can get by with some relatively cheap air coolers if you're not doing that (like an Evo with a 7700k can still technically work).

Don't people use those for 24/7 stable overclocks?

This is what's making me shy away from it. I had a cheap AIO (Corsair) and it died, and people seem to agree that they last a couple of years. A cooler shouldn't die sooner than a hard drive. Also the danger of leaks worries me.

I have a Core-X.. I feel safer just using AIO personally. I don't think you need one for anything less.

Might have to do with Intel cheaping out on shit TIM and shipping a sub-par cooler.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (650x550, 48.56K)

An overclock is either stable or it's not. If you're going liquid you're looking for an extreme overclock which is going to require getting a good chip. You're basically paying a lot more to eek out a little bit more performance. That money would be better spent on just buying a faster chip in the first place. They're only really justified if you're buying a high end chip already and want to see how far you can push it.

This is why I don't run them combined with having to drain the loop every time I need to do basic maintenance inside of the case. I had a custom loop for shits and giggles in one machine and it was mostly a pain in the ass.

My current machine has a Noctua NH-U14S. I feel like I overpaid for what it is but it works well enough. Dropped my temps about 15-20C from the stock Intel cooler that the person that built it put in. They used too much paste when they initially installed the stock cooler so I'm not sure how much of the temp decrease came from that. Anyway I OCed the processor after that and didn't notice it heat up too much compared to the stock clock. All I use this machine for is editing/encoding video so it stays pegged out at 100% pretty much all day. I'm not shilling for this company in particular and you probably shouldn't pay $60 for a cooler but the big fan is nice. It keeps it cool while staying quiet. I run the fan at full speed all the time and don't notice it at all (the case fans are a lot louder).

Yeah, that has a lot to do with it. I should have waited a little bit... their newest chips are getting rid of TIM.

$60 isn't much and Noctua is widely known to be a great brand. They went as far as to prove they're amazing by shipping brown+beige fans for years and still not going bankrupt for it.

Funny, that's most of my use case and the reason I'm going Ryzen. also anti-semitism

I use virgin blood to keep my cpus young

Don't you get tired of cutting yourself?

>>>/g/

IIRC AMD CPU OC isn't temperature-capped, ie. you'll bottleneck somewhere else before overheating becomes a major concern when it comes to overclocking them.

This isn't a /g/ thread.

BeQuiet or Noctua if you want to spend, Thermalright (Grand Macho is pretty good) if you want the same performances for a lower price.

What do you mean, the RAM? I've settled with G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZRX) since I guess this will make more of a difference than whatever aftermarket cooling solution would.

Never heard of that, but it seems on par with Noctua NH-D15 (pic related). And the name implies the company isn't filled with SJW.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (573x944, 144.51K)

>>>/g/

...or I just like my PC to stay silent even under heavy load.

You never precised passive watercooling.

Thanks for the info, I'll be checking this out, considering my Chernobyl build reaches 80C+ when playing vidya

pic related

Attached: Chernobyl 2.jpg (774x1032, 506.83K)

damn.

hahahahahaha woah

isn't the cpu fan turning in the opposite direction than the psu fan? if that's the case they're not pushing any air just creating a massive turbulence. flipping the cpu fan would help you a lot, or ideally placing it to blow on the side of the heatsink

That wouldn't do much at all, because then the hot air coming from the PSU would just blow right on the heatsink.

Hyper 212 Evo is the best bang/buck/noise cooler. Noctua is horrible bang for buck, and shit unreliable AIOs are just that and will not last you the life of the computer if you actually build computers with the intent of maintaining them. That money will give a 2600X the headroom it needs to OC itself very well - yes the stock cooler will keep the CPU cool enough to do so, but it will be louder. $30 for the performance boosts without the downside of the noise is worth it to me. Also extremely important that you choose a good case with good air flow (or one that can be modified easily to have such) and a bottom-mount PSU that does not dump extra heat into the case.

Never heard of that. Good to know. Any more info about brands/price range worth-it ratio?

Why in fuck would you put a cover plate over your CPU cooler? At that point I would take out one of the PCI brackets to let the GPU at least suck some cold air in through the back and gouge a hole in the top rear of the thing, too. Geezless.

what the heck 90% of the psu's i've ever seen with the 120mm fans have intakes where the fan sits

Attached: 5a97978c39c3783a30086d8fbbacb9c1.jpg (685x800, 86.44K)

Is it intake? I assumed it was an output fan.
I guess it'd be a lot worse if it was outtake, that massive hotspot between the PSU and CPU.

Attached: Bob.gif (320x189, 477.46K)

These are my idle temps btw

Attached: Specs.PNG (420x594, 26.08K)

I liked the small case and I wanted to make a sleeper build.
And yeah, taking out the brackets would be a good idea. I was also thinking about drilling some holes in the side of the case by the GPU.

i'm curious, are you a homosexual or do you just have a small penis? (same thing tbh) computers should be thicc and sexy, that means a big ass case, voluptuous cooling setup, rgb everything. custom waifu rgb paintjob if it's in your budget. sleeper is gay.

Do you fucking hear yourself? Builds like that say _*"LOOK AT ME I AM A HUGE PRETENTIOUS FAGGOT THAT PLAYS OVERWATCH AND FORTNITE ALL DAY PAY ATTENTION TO ME".*_

Sleeper builds say "I don't care about looks, I just get shit done."

Attached: the fuck you on about nigga.jpg (658x960, 61.67K)

fucking formatting wtf

There's significant difference between not giving a fuck and trying really hard to look like you don't give a fuck.

Attached: сервер в коробке.jpg (1280x960, 173.33K)

...but that's wrong. "Sleeper" has nothing to do with practicality and everything to do with appearance. Pic related. A sleeper build is explicity one that looks like it's going to be a piece of junk but it's actually a beast, and it goes to great pains to appear as such.

If you are smart, your purchase will reflect form and function. My case for the past two builds has been the Corsair 330r carbide, because I consider sound dampening a function, and it supports very adequate easy-to-clean filtered airflow in a compact package.

Holes alone will cause turbulence and noise, not to mention the added noise that will add up anyway. Everything you can do to reduce turbulence will both help noise and function of the airflow. I would remove one of the PCI brackets for now to let a little cool air in by the gpu and go from there, or just move the build over to a new case.

Attached: 1393019933302.jpg (1230x917, 352.75K)

So on the outside it looks like a comfy beige box I can play daggerfall on and on the inside it's modern day intel botnet running pajeet cancer with only fortnite installed.

Attached: 659526d4cfdbb3880f3e29fe9fadeb1bb1dbe80008bf935bb6f9d37c4d290122.jpg (386x460, 27.17K)