BSD BTFO

kek
csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html

Attached: fluffy.jpg (1136x852, 583.68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?w=2&r=1&s=sprundel&q=a
theballreport.com/the-story-of-ate-my-balls-one-of-the-first-internet-memes/
media.ccc.de/v/30C3_-_5499_-_en_-_saal_1_-_201312291830_-_x_security_-_ilja_van_sprundel
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I call bullshit:
marc.info/?w=2&r=1&s=sprundel&q=a
Only three emails, latest in 2007. That's all archived mailing lists, not just *BSD ones.

Attached: DiP01rGXcAEHlc4.jpg (555x386, 35.1K)

That's the preffered method for openbsd at least, no?
I doubt he found anything that'd require to warrant going through private channels.

Theo literally watched the Talk. You think he would notice if the guy was just totally making shit up.

Did he have any comments at all about it?

LMGTFY

>Is XXX YYY? Some (((AAA))) think so.
definitely not a jew template

CIA niggers are stepping up their anti opensource efforts. They're taking out threats in order of highest priority to lowest. That's why Terry had to go first, then Linus, and now I imagine Theo will start identifying/transitioning into a woman who cannot code.

When did I travel to Slashdot circa 2006?

Attached: safetynotguaranteed.webm (640x190, 3.1M)

Admit it, you're the "there's no hope" fag, or at least paid by the same (((people))) aren't, you?

Look faggot come up with ideas that aren't retarded and maybe we can move on.

What a shitty title. Even if some of the conclusions might be accurate, the title is clearly misleading. It says "some security researchers", but the only referenced security researcher is Argyroudis (Sprudel isn't even a security researcher, he's a director of penetration testing).
Why did they pluralize "security researchers"? To be accurate, it would have to say "a security researcher", or why the fuck not actually just put his name in the title? "Ilja van Sprundel does some bug testing on BSDs and gagues response time, security researcher Patroklos Argyroudis thinks some of the BSDs are dying, but OpenBSD will be fine if it gets more developers".

It's an interesting article, but OP is retarded; I suppose he only read the title and maybe skimmed the section headers.

Yeah BSD is real great

I think OpenBSD's guys would actually appreciate that

Attached: 1454099692520.jpg (272x248, 57.28K)

Considering how OpenBSD repeatedly got shafted by """responsible""" disclosure faggotry, I can see that.

Don't be an idiot. He's a penetration tester. He's not a security researcher, but he's not a random idiot. Finding bugs is effectively his entire job.
I don't have a horse in the race, because I don't use BSDs. I only have issues with the article and its shitty title. There's only one security researcher, and it isn't even the guy the article spends most of its time talking about. It's a bad article.

NANI?!?!?! B-BAKANA!!!1

Attached: omg.jpg (236x212, 12.36K)

A random idiot is like my dad. Not a guy whose literal job it is to find bugs.

OpenBSD accepted the legitimate flaws and quickly fixed them. GNU/systemd would argue that the flaws are features and then just close the bug reports.

Buffer overflow errors are not the same thing as mounting EFI files into the VFS and then deleting them like a retard.

That's Zig Forums rotting your brain: if there's an issue that inconveniences your group you should not put your head in the sand.

This is literally the oldest meme on the internet.

It has been true for 25 years now.

Nah, it's just a stupid slashdot meme. Mr. T Ate My Balls is older. That one was on all the Quake sites when the game was still fairly new.
theballreport.com/the-story-of-ate-my-balls-one-of-the-first-internet-memes/

Attached: ba01.jpg (258x183, 41.61K)

Sounds like NON CRITICAL.
They aren't security related so fuck off OP.

"Low-hanging fruit" just means the bugs were easy to find. It doesn't indicate any severity. It just means he didn't have to put in lots of effort.
Oh, and the same guy did a similar "low-hanging fruits" at a previous conference. But here he outright says to use OpenBSD's code (Xenocara) for every OS that's using Xorg. And at the very end he also admits that using a software framebuffer (like vesa, or wsfb) is safer than the accelerated X servers. But you have to watch the whole talk to understand why.
X used to be much simpler and cleaner in the 90's, before all that accelerated shit for 3D cards got shoved in
media.ccc.de/v/30C3_-_5499_-_en_-_saal_1_-_201312291830_-_x_security_-_ilja_van_sprundel

Why do you think they're working on Wayland now?

idk if Wayland will be the piece of tech that replaces X11 eventually. idk, i am not convinced yet. Wayland is vaporware imo.

No, it's just around the corner.

OpenBSD has dev team of 20. An outside guy comes in and found new things with a fresh set of eyes. Then OpenBSD quickly fixed what was found. I fail so see how this is BTFO. CoC/Linux has 1000x the (((man)))power. With that many Xe's working on it the code should be perfect by now.

Netcraft has confirmed: *BSD is dying

Wayland is already here, it's just not going to replace X11. Wayland and X11 are going to exist together as different options you can choose from for the forseeable future.

You fucking kidding me? This number must be wrong because I met a lot of OpenBSD fans IRL already!

Used BSDI/FBSD back in the 90's for file servers, email n chit. Eventually moved to Sparc.
Sad to see.

Because FDO spontaneously combust if they don't reinvent something badly every few years. Only half joking.

millennial detected
That is an old copypasta from /.

Attached: Screenshot 2018-09-26 at 8.36.33 PM.png (1322x520, 94.51K)

OpenBSD isn't perfect, I would be willing to bet there is a zeroday or two that can be used against it. I would also bet there are at least 20 zeroday exploits against linux, It is a better platform to target as many high value tagets use it, but using any exploit comes with the risk that it will be discovered. With a smaller pool of users and more autistic ones at that an advanced adversary would think carefully about if it would be worth it. Assuming it takes the same effort to exploit openBSD as linux, I think that 99% of its users will never see an attack by an advanced exploit. On the basis that the time and skill would be better spent creating linux exploits. or windows ones There are very few "security researchers" actually reporting and helping fix bugs for free.

Theo based those numbers off downloads, one download can install infinite systems. I doubt it accounts for source downloads as well.

Let's make our own OS. I'll get started on the logo.

>>>/g/ is that way

classic Zig Forums projection

Everything is always dying.

Attached: f1906405416.jpg (640x480, 47.15K)

Yep, more psychwarfare/demoralizing on Zig Forums. Use whatever OS you want and don't worry about it. What are you making that has to be so secure that it would be less time consuming to keep an offline laptop around for?

Why are you implying openbsd should be disconnected, it's the most secure os ever