Extracting images/videos from .exe-based games

what's the best way to go about getting images used in a game or other executable program out of the .exe? i've been using HxD and 7zip to poke around but i've not found anything useful so far. besides the .exe file, the .exe1 file, and the .dll from unity engine (they're all identical when looked at with 7zip), there are also *.resource and *.asset files, as well as a *.resS file and a bunch of *.xml's.
anyone know what to do from here? the program i'm currently using to practice is the game Lobotomy Corporation, i'm trying to get the pictures of the AI characters from it.

Attached: 3c59f659d6e9379e589d96f8835097c5ab4fc6196548deac568ad929fd2ecb9f.jpg (236x236, 6.01K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/DerPopo/UABE
github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio
ci.appveyor.com/project/Perfare/unitystudio/branch/master/artifacts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Questions go in the question thread, look into binwalk.

>>>/4cuck/

If it uses a graphics API like DirectX or OpenGL, use renderdoc. It lets you save any asset that went into rendering the captured frame, meshes as well as textures, and pretty easily.

as a newfag and therefore guest to this board i want to follow etiquette as closely as possible but we both know that an inquiry like this has little chance of being answered in a megathread, especially on a low-PPH board like Zig Forums
seems promising. i will report back later, thank you user

nigger, what do you use for running programs?

also promising. thank you user

I'll just hint that there's a scripting engine used for extracting game files.

Heh. I remember being like 15, and randomly trying to open a file from "Neighbors from hell" with zip. It worked, I was seeing all the resources, and was like "wow, I must be some kind of hax0r. 11" . That was ages ago. Most games store their resources outside the executable. Some use custom encoding for them, which is a pain in the ass (eg. mpq used by warcraft). Good luck.

Attached: Neighbours-From-Hell[1].jpg (1280x720, 219.03K)

if you're going to be so adamant about "don't spoonfeed le newfag" meme then don't post anything at all

kek
that's what i'm used to, games like Kerbal Space Program and Factorio have the actual file just sitting there in the folders, but most if not all of the games that i'm actually interested in ripping either have them hard-woven into the .exe file or in some specially-made file like the *.resS/*.resource files i mentioned in the OP

Attached: pipin.jpg (600x450, 55.25K)

Resource Hacker can let you see what resources are in an executable though there likely aren't many beyond maybe an icon.
With games, often their dev tools can let you extract their resource files

thanks user. i wasn't able to get much more than .ico files using 7zip but maybe Resource Hacker has the answer.
the game appears to have been made with Unity, if i download that do you think i can access stuff that way? i wouldn't really be sure how since it isn't all just one file, there are a bunch of them that could have the images i'm looking for.

If the game is made in Unity you can use Assets Bundle Extractor or similar.

github.com/DerPopo/UABE
github.com/Perfare/AssetStudio

For stuff that uses DirectX like pointed out I normaly use Ninja Ripper.
I remember trying to rip sprites from the Deponia games but failing at it, they use the Visionaire engine and VISExt was supposed to extract it's archives but only returned garbage.
If you anons know of other tools I'd like to make a list of the better ones.

alright i've tried some of the recommended methods out

this is actually working incredibly well, for some reason the images are upside down lol. ive been able to get pic related so far, is there a better way than playing through the entire game and capturing every frame that i want to harvest? normally i might do this but it's a really hard game and there are a couple of different paths and there are a bunch of RNG stuff so it would be incredibly difficult to get everything i wanted like, can this program list all images on its own or nah?

it was unable to get anything other than *.ico from the .exe and it didn't recognize .asset or .resS/.resource files

thanks, i'll check it out
does it function similar to RenderDoc? or is it more of a quick-and-dirty more brainlet-friendly imperfect ripper?

i promise i'm not retarded
god dammit she's so beautiful

Attached: AngelaMeet.png (2048x1221, 1.38M)

binwalk

didnt seem to work for me. im using UABE right now since it seems to be working

this is how far i've gotten with UABE, i believe the highlighted items are the images i'm looking for. now how do i rip them out? it doesn't give me the option to export them as anything other than *.dat's

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (857x726, 177.65K)

Attached: fbf949551f9ed12f44757ff1d43a83482a10a00dbe6da85087c2f30d8db64d97.jpg (720x736, 31.32K)

Attached: eb0adffef5b0ef4f721a37792ab59ea40d5749c107a9931fa91a16b9552aeb27.png (378x623, 185.47K)

It would be one thing if you at least tried posting it there first, but you couldn't even do that much. Follow the rules or gtfo nigger. You already admitted you're a newfag so act like one.

ci.appveyor.com/project/Perfare/unitystudio/branch/master/artifacts

Have fun with your waifu.

Attached: AngelaMeet.png (1301x806 1.52 MB, 241.85K)

rules don't matter, the effect on the board is what matters. only people like moralfags care about rules for the sake of rules. this board doesn't nearly have a high enough PPH to render threads like this as disturbing the board direction. except in the opinion of whiny spergs such as yourself.

FUCK
which file is open in the first screenshot?

The rule is there for a reason dumbass. Look in the sticky right now and see how many questions there are. Now imagine what would happen if they were all posted as separate threads anytime someone had a "what program do I use for x" question. You're not special. You're not important. Post in the sticky like everyone else, and if you don't receive any adequate replies for a few days, after bumping it once or twice, then and ONLY THEN can you consider sliding the catalog for your oh-so-important question.

post has been up for more than 24 hours now, if this was a question unworthy of its own thread mods would have (or should have) deleted it
for such an unimportant thread, it's sure getting quite a few insightful suggestions in addition to your unprecedentedly assblasted replies

Attached: 4faaa0fe65528a468849208f4949cc1374d3bf8b6c30730e0abeb2589f4437ae.jpg (500x500, 28.41K)

It's precisely BECAUSE the mods don't delete it that this is so important. Because now the next dumbass that has a basic question can point to your thread and say "Well, if mods didn't delete that, the rule must not matter anymore." And before you know it we're fucking cuckchan /g/ with five "I need help" threads on page one.

Because there are users on this board who are largely unlike me. They are kind and forgiving and willing to help you despite your disregard for the quality of the board, which you admit to rarely browsing. By the way, I'd wager you'd have gotten those "insightful suggestions" had you tried the proper channels. It's not like those helpful posters stop existing when you put questions where they actually belong. Guess we won't know now because you didn't even bother to try. You just made a stupid, baseless assumption that "nobody would help me," despite the mass of answered questions that you could see in that thread with your own eyes, had you fucking bothered to check.

Mod incompetence is not an excuse for shitting up the board. Goodwill from other posters is not an excuse for shitting up the board.

>nigger, what do you use for running programs?
executable mode bits
>>>/killyourself/