Calculators

Is the Voyage 200 too OP?
Is easy to program for and to modify, objectively better than anything before, its CAS already too. The only pros the nspire calculators can hold is color screen and templates for operations.
If someone from the HP and Casio corner can enlighten us it would be very appreciated.

Attached: product-nspire-tp-cas-hero.png (996x747 166.4 KB, 191.36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/323/32326.html
edu.casio.com/products/graphic/fxcg50/
my.mixtape.moe/ywamfm.7z
lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2009-11/msg00357.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Brainlet, get an HP 50g, Swissmicros DM42, or a WP-34s.

It's virtually the same calculator as the TI-89. Same proc, basically the same OS. The only reason it was banned on standardized tests is because of the qwerty keyboard.

Because the TI-89 was allowed on standardized tests while the V2k was not, I would say it was the 89 that was OP.

ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/323/32326.html

Attached: cabamap.png (509x381, 31.24K)

Just, no. Also that's not anything the 50G can't do.

except any smartphone since the beginning of smartphones

Smartphones:

Calculator:

You shouldn't be using a calculator for any real math class. Period.

I use a calculator when doing math, I'm not a student.

Then you must do simple math. You could be using python, R, matlab, octave, etc.

Not an argument.

Is there anything wrong with doing simple math?

The HP 50G can do most anything any of those programs can.

Not everybody wants to be saddled with a laptop or adult Game Boy all the time kid.

No. Enjoy your calculator.

Attached: 1535640130161.jpg (360x360, 16.6K)

As far as OP goes, the best programming environment for modern calculators is probably RPL, followed by Casio’s BASIC and lastly TI Basic. RPN is exactly like assembly language and can be understood by anybody because you’re just recording keystrokes and playing them back until you get into looping and indirect register addressing and other advanced topics. It even supports (depending on the calculator) graphics and sound. RPL is also stack based but you have an infinite stack, and you can push more than numbers to it. It’s closer to Factor than it is to Lisp.

The HP 50G has almost 1200 functions built in, a full CAS, and is basically a complete portable Mathematica. Get one while you still can, they are skyrocketing in price as they were recently discontinued but you can still get a good condition used one for less than $100.

Casio and TI suck for on-device development, everything is modal, there is no unified device interface. It’s total ass. Also TI hates their users even more than Apple does, they’re rapists.

RPL and RPN are both Turing complete and the interface is better. Also if you have highly secret research or are working with algorithms you wish to keep secret, a modern spyware in hardware computer or phone are dumb to use.

TI uses Derive CAS, HP uses xcas which is free software.

kek

I have a calculator with Python

I've been using a Casio fx-9750 GII for uni. It's been pretty comfy for the price (around 30~40 $.)
It's (or was) the entry level graphical calculator from Casio, but there's a way to flash the firmware of other Casio claculators on it. Not that it lacked anything necessary for my CS classes anyway, but it's an option. I did it just to gain Natural Display, but it has several new operations available, too.
Overall 8/10 would recommend. I just wish manufacturers would be honest and price them at 10 bucks or so, which is definetly what they should cost.

Please explain.

jej

There's not much to explain
edu.casio.com/products/graphic/fxcg50/
It's a calculator that had a python interpreter added last update.

Texas Instruments has been charging the same highway robbery prices for their exact same calculator models going on ~30 years now. When are people going to put their monopoly in the ground already? There's not reason affordable graphing calculators shouldn't have progressed way beyond TI-83s already.

Serious question: can it run Django?

The TI z80 based calculators are to my knowledge the only calculators that can run free software.

Attached: 4286195.png (110x110, 18.77K)

A proof?

I got a perfectly nice TI-83+ for $6 at a thrift store and felt robbed.

I've a newer ~$13 fx-115ES and a old(from the 90s) fx-115W I like much more but I can't program them.

There is a completely Free GPL2 replacement OS for the HP 50G series now, called newrpl. It aims to duplicate all dunctions but it's written in C rather than Saturn assembly under emulation, it's about 80% done and is quite usable now.

They also engineer the TI-84+ to break, kek.

The battery is literally just a positive and negative poking stick than eventually destroy the connection

Monopoly ends when you install Graph89 and download my 68k TI archive of goodies!
my.mixtape.moe/ywamfm.7z

Fucking Ti-83 was ~$150 CAD when I got one around 12 years ago, and it still is despite competing products blowing it away (and being cheaper too... what the fuck?).

What would you typically use a graphing calculator for nowadays, having laptops available most of the time? I'm curious. Fascinated by those things, but never had one.
Having CAS programs available on the go, e.g. for involved calculations that you need to run once in a while in the lab, seems like it would be useful. Or drawing graphs on the go to visually check if some measurements have gone wrong.
You are not supposed to draw graphs for reports with it, are you? It could be done with R pretty fast, with the additional plus that graphs can be customized.

I wish I had one of these when I began studying - would've helped in understanding some things, since manipulation is so hands-on. They're usually not allowed for exams, though.

Attached: 2894988.jpg (1280x720, 85.8K)

Mathematica masterrace

Mathematica seems great, but I've never seen a reason to switch. I should be able to do most of the things with R just as good - for free as in free beer.
What have you been studying that you've came to use it?

R and numpy are pretty much all you need.

Graphing calculators can be used for more than just drawing plots. The HP 50G has a full periodic table onboard which makes it easy to pull data regarding elements right down onto the stack for calculations. Many people just like having the larger screen for inputting equations into the solver, writing programs, or just seeing more lines of the stack.

Mathematica gives you access to a huge amount of data ready to be used, and python is for the brain damaged.

Who cares? Why the fuck aren't you out there generating your own data? When I was in college we had terabytes and terabytes of hot fresh data to crunch. I'm not talking some major university, either. It was a tiny little college.

No more than matlab. I'll take scipy and numpy over matlab any day.

wut

wut

wut

Listen kid I'm sure you had fun in your Intro To Big Data course down at the community center but this is a board for adults, OK?

Pretty classic thread demonstrating the low nature of kids these days.

I don't know.
My current job leaves me with almost no time to investigate stuff and I don't have the update yet
it's forcing me to make a shitdows partition because the calc doesn't want to play nice with VMs

That looks much more usable than KnightOS.

Kinda sucks that the 50G hardware has gotten so expensive since it was discontinued though. I bought one like a decade ago and a second one about two years ago when they were blowing out the last new inventory for $39 a pop. Now a NIB example will cost you $400 and a decent used unit is over $100.

Frankly I think the original firmware is still more usable for most people but I appreciate the effort and it's moving forward every day with active development.

This is a good thread, let's list out calculators in order of great to shitty!

GOD TIER
WP34s
DM42
HP 50G
HP 48G/GX
HP 42s
HP 41 series
HP 15C
HP 16C
Swissmicros clones of HP calcs
HP 71b

SHIT TIER
Anything Casio makes, anything TI makes, HP Prime, everything else.

Forgot the HP-67, the HP 12C, and the HP 32S/SII.

Basically most HP RPN machines are great and you can get replacement motherboards for them which greatly enhance their memory, speed, and connectivity.

my TI 89 titanium never failed me. If you are doing anything above what a cs major does ie engineering you need a calculator that solves simultaneous equations with unreal numbers. not alot of the calculators people recommend can do this other then a few counter examples.

Most any calculator with a CAS can do that, and most HP calculators with RPN have programs to tackle every engineering situation out there.

The TI 89 isn't a bad calculator, it's just not a good one. The modal UI makes it really a pain in the ass as well.

With an HP everything goes on the stack, it's the best UI.

honestly I only use solve and matrixes and sometimes thr calculus functions. the type of calculator doesnt really matter aslong as it can do that well enough. its defintly not worth buying another calculator at least for me

If you get used to RPN / RPL you'll throw that piece of trash away and never look back.

but can you dell do this

Attached: int89-5.png (160x100, 698)

50G can do that. You can even make it's solver show each individual step as you'd do it on paper.

Casio calculators are not bad. They're just geared toward students.

If you define "not bad" as having a mishmash of different "apps" instead of a consistent UI, they're not bad I suppose. But they're not that great either.

Calculators geared toward students these days are neutered and the calculator manufacturers are openly hostile to their customers so they can retain the coveted exam-approved status.

why would i want individual steps

So you can see what the calculator is doing? You can turn it off if you don't want to see step by step mode.

you know computers dont solve integrals like us humans do. the method is faked to make it into what us humans do.

Of course (some) computers use the same method we do. Try it out with an HP 50G emulator.

Do you have something to back that statement up with?

That seems like a meme. Algebraic mode isn't the only option, there's also textbook mode on most calculators. I've never seen RPN being used outside of fortran and "it uses less keystrokes on a calculator" isn't much of an upside for me.

It's for cheating on math assignments user.

The HP-12C is an RPN calculator that is exceptionally popular in financial industries; they've been selling it for nearly 40 years. I remember 20 years ago my father taught me how to use his.

Attached: HP-12C.jpg (1920x1080, 168.1K)

I get that people have gotten used to it or appreciate it in some other way and therefore want to keep using it. I just don't see how it is that much more useful when you have textbook mode available.

It's faster for them.

The most powerful thing in the world, autism.

It makes it easier to play with numbers and input long expressions IMHO. No need for nested parenthesis either.

what is that even supposed to mean?
you terminate your RPN expressions with enter or the manipulation you want to do, how is that easier than inputting in textbook mode? If I made a mistake I can immediately correct the formula, no need to see the wrong result since it is already apparent. Correction is also faster because I don't have to deal with the stack. There's also not much nesting of parenthesis in textbook mode either. You are arguing against algebraic mode, when I explicitly said there's textbook mode available on most calculators.

Pretend you want to try out a couple different values in a computation, your intermediate results are stored to the stack and pressing 'enter' by itself puts a copy of the X register (the bottom line) into the Y register for you, you can easily try out a computation, drop it, and retry.

With a TI or a Casio you have to up arrow into the equation or copy it and paste in the new values, with RPN it's one single keystroke to get the same situation.

Textbook mode's for plebs and kids though.

Attached: 56756756867.jpg (855x720, 83.4K)

I too hate myself

"Textbook mode" is just a trademark for glorified pretty-printed infix. It's meant to be easy for novices, not better than RPN for experienced users.

What Casio called "textbook mode" is how the TI-89 always operates, and nobody sings the praises of that; they just lament the absence of RPN.

They own the textbook market in the USA and Canada, there is no reason for a student to buy any other brand. Without real competition, there's no need to innovate. TI's calculators of today are running a 68k emulator on arm or a real 68k with firmware going back to the mid-1990s developed for the TI-92.

Did they stop selling the z80 calculators?

it's not necessary to have as many nested parenthesis as in algebraic mode, so not sure what you're saying here. Of course it's infix.
No, it's meant to display formulas as you would write them down.

There's not much reason to learn RPN if you've not already done so.

I'm saying it's literally just pretty-printed infix.

Tomato, Tomato. Inexperienced children need the calculator look like the textbook. Experienced users do not. RPN is faster, but thinking with a stack is difficult for inexperienced children.

Yeah quite a long time ago. I think it's still used in the non-graphing calculator market. The TI Nspire might be running natively on the ARM (not in emulation) though.

All this was done to help niggers to understand math. It's not working though.

Wow, so no more 83/84 line? I had no idea.

Looks like I'm wrong, they do indeed still make a Z80 line. Wew lad.

Forth uses RPN. Good shit, Maynard!

Attached: AU0485_forth2_page1.png (967x1367, 1.24M)

2/3

Attached: AU0485_forth2_page2.png (967x1367, 1.34M)

3/3

Attached: AU0485_forth2_page3.png (967x1367, 1.07M)

People call HP's RPL a lisp dialect but it's much closer to Forth. HP did produce several Forth-capable machines, the HP-41 and the HP-71b both could take Forth software packs. Also one can install one of the many fine MS-DOS Forths on the HP MS-DOS palmtop line.

Where the fuck are they getting you idiot kids from anyway?

Calling RPN "lisp" is just silly. RPN is postfix notation, lisp is prefix notation.

If you can do your math on a calculator it is simple math. Real math requires supercomputer clusters running in the cloud. You would know this, if you knew math. Which you don't. Because you are a calculator user.

RPL is RPN but only RPL is RPL.

You're an idiot but here's a (You) anyway.

Irrelevant, it's postfix not prefix. It's rather similar to forth but has jack-shit to do with lisp.

Not prefix; not s-expressions, no particular emphasis on list processing; NOT LISP.

Yeah, meant to write Forth, not Fortran, sorry

What's a good OP calculator for someone who's new to them like me?

Attached: image0.jpg (1200x1123, 78.5K)

Like what? LuaJIT?
lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2009-11/msg00357.html
Can't find anything supporting your claim. KEK.

First you gotta think to yourself, am I willing to learn how to use this thing? What kind of math do you do? Do you like to program computers?

If you get an HP 12C financial calculator you can teach yourself RPN and keystroke programming and finance all at once.

Did anyone else write their first program in TI-Basic? Man, I still remember sitting in math class, ignoring everything the teacher said while making a little text-based adventure game on my TI-83. Good times.

TI-36X Pro saw me through 4 years of an electrical engineering degree. If you need anything more you boot up your laptop and use matlab or some shit.

It's really no fair comparing anything to LuaJIT because 9 times out of 10 LuaJIT will wipe the floor with anything else.

But more to the point, it's no fair comparing a numerical suite against anything else when you're not testing a vectorized operation. How fast does Matlab with BLAS do matrix multiplication compared to how fast can LuaJIT speed up a straight forward implementation of matrix multiplication? THAT would actually be interesting to see. The best in class hand optimized linear algebra vs the best in class JIT optimized linear algebra.

A good CAS calculator can do nearly everything Matlab can without Matlab's annoying c-derived language. The HP 50G has a step by step mode which shows you everything it's doing in each computation as well, and even allows you to alter its behavior if you have a tough integral or some shit problem which it doesn't like.

Computers have a speed advantage but as far as completeness CAS calculators have matched them feature for feature for over two decades.

Bump, calculators don't use SystemD.

WHY ISN'T Zig Forums INTERESTED IN CALCULATORS

48GX tbh

Carly Fiorina shut down the only good calculators that ever existed. I stopped caring a logn time ago.

50g>48g/gx

HP 48G, I never liked math before, but once I got one, it really changed my perception on math.
This calculator's essential in my job. Financial and HR management. It really is a different approach and I like it.

Attached: IMG_20160806_013846.jpg (2592x1944 2.21 MB, 2.27M)

Attached: trs80pc3-printer.jpg (580x308 37.71 KB, 64.3K)