Why can't Linux be the next Windows?

I'm on the same Windows 7 installation going on 7 years now and it's still just as fast as the day I installed it. I like it, but want to give Linux a shot before Windows goes SaaS because fuck that. However,

Yeah, I'm one of those faggots. Deal with it. Anyway, it got me thinking: With all the devs contributing to Linux, why can't a massive effort be made to make it feel every bit like Windows? As I understand it, Linux is for power users who love to tinker with their system. There's no "it just works" about it. Casuals should steer clear. Why does it have to be that way?

It seems like Linux could have great potential to be everything that Windows is and more. If it gains enough market share, game and application developers will devote more time to it. With enough work, Linux could take a huge bite out of Microsoft.

What's preventing this from happening?

Attached: Linux-and-Windows-Are-Heading-Towards-a-War-That-Microsoft-Will-Lose-482191-2.jpg (1600x1000, 110.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/creat.html
steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
weeaboo.space/notice/2012773
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Loonux is irrelevant in the eyes of Zig Forums. Linus cucked out and it will turn into wangblows 2.0 soon, with GNOMEshit, PissAudio, SystemDicks, Dick-bus, CoCks and all the other cancer that has been added recently.
BSDs will become the next OS of choice for the power users. And so the cycle continues.

Attached: c513f2357e3b4df74bd95a85a330417af228b5112528c062a120c2ac8a7a286a.png (375x419, 108.25K)

You can get Windows-like themes, but what's the point? Windows' interface is nothing special.

It's not the 90s anymore. There are still distros meant for hardcore nerds, but most are no harder to install and use than Windows these days. Try, for example, Mint. It really just works.

Linux already is bigger than Windows in many fields: supercomputers, mainframes, renderfarms, web servers, embedded devices, mobile, and so on.

Now the desktop is still Microsoft's turf, for a few reasons.

- Ignorance. People don't even know there are systems other than whatever was on the computer when it came from the store.
- Inertia. People are lazy or cowardly, don't like trying new stuff, they cling to the brand they already know - even if it sucks shit.
- Software library. Windows has a ton of software. Whatever you want, it's always on Windows first, Mac maybe, and anything else if you're lucky.

You can teach people. You can make them try new stuff. But that last item is a huge problem, that's why Valve's "Proton" project is so relevant: if people can play most games on Linux, the need for Windows decreases massively.

You should just install windows 10. Enjoy your saas.

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

I LOVE RUST
SO DO YOU
INSTALL RUST

Install the latest proprietary nvidia drivers and tell me how it just works.

Because if we wanted to use windows we'd use windows. If you want easy-to-use, there are easy-to-use distributions of GNU/Linux. You still have to spend some time learning the system by virtue of the fact that it is a different system. If you don't want to learn a new system, then don't get a new system. Windows 7 is only going to charge for updates for the foreseeable future, and there will be absolutely nothing stopping you from continuing to use it without paying. It's a reasonable assumption that Microsoft has already worked all of the major kinks that it's going to work out of Windows 7, so you won't be missing out on very much, just use a decent antivirus and you'll be good to go. That's the best solution for someone like you, and I don't even mean that as any kind of insult.

it's crazy how people can be so oblivious to such obvious things. i envy the fool. this is as weird as saying you cant notice anything above 24fps

But le human eye can only see 12 fps

yeah no no one in their right mind would let the windows update active

I have reinstalled a few times but in my use i had no troubles with it?

Attached: 6ed94e60e97e97562b9d03c728b29a0ce1437e73930b6ac2863d315287b707fa.png (599x596, 511.64K)

Ubuntu just werks.

Seems to be working fine here.

The fuck are you talking about? Just install fucking Xubuntu, change the WM to Redmond XP, set bliss.jpeg as your background, and shut the fuck up.

Wine
DXVK
Steam
Proton

Or just stay on Windows. You deserve each other.

The fags behind gnu/linux or more specificly systemd/linux have already gone the way of the windows.
I'd say if you want another windows using manjaro or any other popular distro would be exactly what you want.
I think the guifags have gotten a bit better at not fucking up everything.
And even if it still fucks up, you can just do the windows thing and reinstall it.
Wine is pretty much considered to be a core part of linux by retards at this point, so theres also that.

You''ll probably just linux if you enjoyed any of the previous windows generations, theres some small differences in the ui but they've pretty much have made it as windowsfag as possible.
My recommended DE for you would be xfce or kde.
They're a lot more like windows than gnome 3.

We really should just start calling it systemd/linux, because that's really what it is like these days.
Or at least freedesktop/linux.

KDE is a mess, Cinnamon is a better interface.

Cinnamon crashes a lot on anything that isn't linux mint.

As you might be able to tell from the posts in this thread, Linuxfags are completely resistant to change from their ways. They think Linux has reached some pinnacle of perfection and cannot be improved and everyone else is wrong. You can try to discuss how to improve Linux, but they'll shut their ears and throw a fit like children and think you're trying to take the operating system away.

Open source fags in general have this autistic stubbornness to be different for the sake of being different, as if they know better than years of time and millions of dollars worth of UX research made by people who want as many people as possible to be able to use their software as effectively as possible.

Of course that doesn't mean Windows and proprietary programs are perfect, and trying to pander to casuals too hard has it's own drawbacks, but there's a ton of good there that's very valuable and can't be competed with by closing your eyes and rebelling against it just to be different.

Attached: 125163156.jpg (358x390, 29.22K)

Hate to tell you, but your computer has more malware than an old prostitute.

Linux is just a kernel. Also, GNU/Linux is perfect already, what you call upgrade is a downgrade.

Retard niggers shouldn't criticize an OS they've never used, and don't understand.
Clearly millions that have gone to waste, judging by the latest versions of Windows. This webm is overused, but I can't seem to stop posting it.

Attached: command_line.webm (1280x720, 1.39M)

Here's another example of Linuxfag arguing. They pick the worst part of Windows and use that as the justification to refuse everything else that the operating system does.

They pick the rants of an autistic schizo and claim that everyone should be like him. They can't comprehend that the vast majority of people aren't comfortable with an interface that's made for programmers, they can't see the viewpoint of non-programmers at all and get angry when you suggests that those people need something different.

Here's an example of a shill. They always describe the methods used in building an argument rather than the argument itself and always do it in 3rd person to create a false sense of superiority and prevent a dialogue.

Here we can observe a wild Linuxfag projecting his own current actions onto other people.

Behold the kike shill as he doubles down

Because the Linux community is spouting memes such as
unironically.
They don't understand that for normal people computers are a tool, not an end goal, and so you get absolutely retarded decisions and basic tools that require more learning than the entire Windows GUI

It's crazy how UNIX weenies think Windows is still as it was pre-2000.

No one in their right mind would turn it off.
Even if you think Windows is spying on you, it doesn't need official updates to do so, and the only thing you're blocking are security and bugfix patches.

Calling anyone disagreeing a shill, retard, and kike is a pretty weak argument.

Don't do that.

1) linux is just the kernel.
2) the system is being updated and changed regularly, even if it is to the displeasure of the regular users
3) gnu/linux users often customize their setup to fit them, this is why they are in opposition to windows like changes.
Windows like changes would end up removing the customizablity of the end user, which is the most important user in a gnu/linux system.
They do indeed, like to have things be different, but still work together.
That's one of the things about *nix.

I recommend you research some of the other opensource projects that do attempt to be different.
Places to start would be plan9, reactos, bsd and templeos.
They all have some good ideas.

alright, how about i disprove you with some actuall tools that attempt to cater to people like you
Lutris - a wine and muh gaemz frontend for people who just want to play gaems
PlayOnLinux - kinda like lutris but designed completely around wine and is used for more then just games
EVERY FUCKING DE EVER - packages simplified programs for end users so you don't have to go through the trouble of finding them all yourself
Distros - sets of packages so you don't have to waste building everything LFS style
Package management - so you don't have to waste time in a web browser and downloading sketchy exes that might or might not be a virus

now i realise i just wasted my time.

Stallman tier autism has gotten old.
But the real issues stay untouched.
To go for the obvious one, X server was super easy to keylog (for non-sudo users), and now Wayland is just as easy to keylog (still no need for sudo).
No reason not to offer sensible defaults.
No, "your network adapter does not work because nonfree drivers" is not sensible.
They don't have to. Linux has the advantage in terms of legacy support, so there are more chances to make new software with new features: look at how much trouble Microsoft had to give a dark theme to explorer.exe, and how little of an issue that is on Linux.
Why

I use Gentoo, but the OS mental masturbation really gets tiresome; it's total nerd faggotry that is basically like redditors arguing over Star Wars. The best programmer I ever knew (yes, it's anecdotal) said that *nix-like fanboys are keeping the '90s alive. If you refuse to even touch a computer with that uses a modern Intel CPU, or Windows/OSX, you are autistic. All of the older, competent programmers I know don't care about their OS, because they just want to get their work done in a timely manner.

That's like listing "explorer and notepad are included!" as an advantage for Windows.
Don't go full retard.

It is valid, because an actual gnu/linux system is interchangable and not the same for every setup.
Well, i don't find and real issues with it because most things require events but if you really want X in a single instance theres a program called firejail that can sandbox X and solve the keylong issue.
That's what distros do, dummy.
What gay ass distro did you attempt to install?
True, that's why this is handled by the Desktop enviroment and not the kernel.

I did so because the guy was asking for opensource projects that were different just for the sake of it.
It's a good project tbh, he made a real nice way of handling graphics and windows and it's honestly really impressive.

That's exactly what a distro is though, it's not the kernel but an actuall operating system
Reminder: linux is just a kernel.
also
Weren't you just saying how the gui of windows was an advantage?

Imagine for a second a world in which Linux became magically mainstream mainstream.
Imagine how that security vuln would play out, considering how serious keylogging is right now in a Windows-dominated market.
Then think about why Linux fans tend to prefix serious vulns with "muh".

I literally just gave you a suggestion to fix it.
Firejail, look it up nigger.
Everything else that would be harmful in keylogging is caught by distros for the most part.
Just like windows, good understanding of security and opsec still plays a big role.

Attached: wef.jpg (640x426, 66.68K)

Exporer and notepad are an advantage because they are good defaults, not because they exist.
It's also a reasonable shorthand for the ecosystem built on top of said kernel.
Saying "our ecosystem offers installable operating systems" is pointless because it's a given.

You gave me a workaround, but the issue is not me.
I might be smart enough to run sketcky programs in a VM, keep backups, and so on, but if you want to be succesful you need to come up with a system that works out of the box for normal users, for people that want to do work on their PC without actually needing to learn much about it.

You just doubled back on your orignal statement and that's pretty fucking retarded.
Just like i mentioned, distros.
They're operating systems the same way windows is.
When you pick a distro, you are picking your "sane defaults"
How ass backwards are you to think every single project is suddenly going to do the same things?

But not all setups are the same, distros are where most of the choices are made.
Yeah, distros.
wtf r u talkin about?
I think your prime problem actuall does strive from the fact you don't understand the ecosystem you pipe up all the time.
Linux, is just a kernel.
packages are interchangeable and that's the reason distros exist. I feel like i'm repeating myself

Your the person i was talking too, so naturally that's who i was suggesting it for.
So your suggesting we drop distros and just unify everything?
"sane defaults" are done by the distro, thus it depends on the distro the user choices.
And even still, packages like X are becoming depreciated so the problem isn't really going to last long.
And for your previous mention of wayland, it comes down to the compositor for implementation, which in turn goes all the way to the DE and then that is implemented by the distro.
The Distro, is what your really looking for.

Do you even understand how Firejail works? Hint: it can't sandbox X. All it can do is run a different instance of X per application, which not only is retarded, it introduces a lot of new problems like vastly reduced performance, unability to take screenshots or copy/paste text, drag and drop files from one program into another, etcetera.
Wayland already solved those problems, so you'd be recreating all of Wayland's drawbacks with less performance for no reason at all. Congrats.

It's precisely why software developers do not want what you are referring to as linux to become popular. Say, android is popular, and it is uses pretty much the same linux as debian does. Problem is, debian is truly open source, it allows for easy tinkering, while android is even better than windows - there you don't even have root access.

Every day, linux community strays further from its former hacker spirit.
It will be. Soon.

Merely a suggestion, wayland like you said fixes it but it's mostly a non issue for sane users.
The idea is that it might cause problems, and obviously it is of some concern.
That is why wayland devs have been addressing it like they have.

Again, it's not a huge issue because it's future proofing worries.

The firejail option was because i thought he was needing some security specific task with "sane defualts" that would work on most setups.

Cringe. How to know you're talking to a mental 12 year old.

Someone doesn't know that other meaning of "hacker" huh?

This is why we're in decay.
Hacking didn't ever refer to breakin into a system it used to refer to changing and improving something. I'm butchering the definition but it's a close enough explaination

It is an issue for everyone. Any application can read all the inputs, all the content of other programs and grab exclusive control of inputs.
This is a massive security flaw.
You guys circlejerk about systemd being a "NSA botnet" or some bullshit like that, when in reality all they'd have to do is become mainainers for a popular package (Firefox, VLC, LibreOffice, whatever) or publish a PPA/AUR/third party repo with a modified package. Hell, even running an AppImage or a tarball could be dangerous. Not even Windows has this problem.

I know exactly what you're talking about but that doesn't make it any less cringe. It's like someone talking about their "artistic spirit", only someone incredibly pretentious would say that.

this is why i installed gentoo
But the argument wasn't about security like that, it was about "sane defaults" which is an idea based on trust which distros should in theory provide.
Obviously, security and opsec and only really come from the user so providing tools is a better way for that to be handled, rather than just giving binaries.

A deb/pacman package can run commands as root, you wouldn't need to use X's absence of isolation.
I'm sorta out of the loop, but how does it not have this problem? I mean, even if gui is isolated, apps still can access the whole home directory, or has windows evolved so much that it now requires you to confirm applications accessing every file/folder?

Doubt it, everyone in windows is handed to the user by an exe.
That's actually much worse in terms of verification.

Which until recently downloaded ebuilds without any verification whatsoever and allowed anyone capable of MiTM to root your system

So your point is developers actually do fix things?
Cause i'm not seeing any problem here.

They fixed it in 2018. It should have been fixed by 2003 at most.
The issue has been brought up several times, first time was several years ago. I mean, this is a huge vulnerability, and it took developers years to even acknowledge its existence.
There's a little something called reputation. I wouldn't trust these people with anything after such events.

I thought funtoo and gentoo harden has patches for it already.
But, i'm unsure because i didn't pay much attention to it.
Glad they finally got off their ass then.

This guy gets it. As long as people don't care you can preach to them all you want.

It's not, you're just either a shitty troll or retarded.

Source sweaty?

People who use GNU/Linux fulltime don't want it to be like Windows. Windows users hate change. It sounds like a small issue, but it's hard to convince people to do stuff they don't want to.

Yet everyone else should change their conventions and/or professions and conform to The Linux Way(tm).

Ok

Cuz POSIX. Windows API is fair superior, even BeOS have a nice and clean OOP API (including UI).

>pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/creat.html

Attached: 1526588937563.jpg (600x400, 32.47K)

tell that to millions who own graphics cards

Yet their OS drastically changes every version, making most things incompatible.
couldn't have said it better.
If only Linux distros maintained a forward compatibility standard, we wouldn't've several rolling release distros.

Windows does a lot of things better, like having thumbnails

ITT Windows gaemzers only care about other OSs when Microsoft fucks them over, again.

Why not exercise some personal responsibility and buy games that deliberately support Linux? Why not install Linux and help debug the open source drivers? Why not test WINE? Why not try googling before posting? Why not literally do anything that helps advance your cause? In your own words...

Until you are willing to put your money (or your effort) where your mouth is, nothing changes. Enjoy your SaaS.

For the rest of you that want a real viable alternative, you need to get involved. Go buy Linux compatible games (GOG and Steam let you search by Linux). Go see if your games *do* run in Linux! Go test Vulcan or WINE. Go read this post from Valve:

steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

I play my vidya on Linux because of a massive effort in the community over many years. Stop being so nu/tech/ and do some fucking googling you faggots.

Typical FOSSweeb argument. "Just use this clunky laggy piece of shit program with less features! Just play shit games instead of good ones! If you don't like it then learn programming and become a developer and fix it yourself!! everyone who uses a computer should be a software developer!"
It's like you can't handle the thought of there being people different from you.

Wine is a mistake, GNU/Linux users must advocate for native support.

this is why gamers arent switching

weeaboo.space/notice/2012773

I used an XP machine for about a decade with that crap off and never got a single virus. The really important security updates I downloaded manually.

And native support means NATIVE SUPPORT, not that fucking Mono .NET substitute bullshit.

If games are all you give a shit about, get an AMD card made in the last few years, install Wine with Gallium Nine patches, and use Lutris' DXVK support for newer games. That's 85% of the Windows/DirectX library made playable with the rest getting added over time. (Gallium Nine isn't usually needed these days but there are a few games that struggle or don't run without it.)

Attached: 6k7c76u9s9d11.jpg (720x538, 39.55K)

Attached: lain-sad.png (633x692, 105.06K)

It took 15 years to fix the kind of trash security you wouldn't see even on winXP.
The code can be the most open and free in the world, you can't trust it after that.

20+ years of binary compatibility, so stop LARPing.

Dubs of truth.

eh, try installing a old version of office
and see what happens

Can I play Win98 games like attached on Win10 without an emulator?

Attached: Th01cover.jpg (400x560, 36.77K)

Your mistake is in thinking that the sort of people who actually contribute to linux would actually want that. You think they should want it because you want it, but you don't even use Linux so why the fuck should anybody care what you think, let alone think like you do?

>other people aren't volunteering their free-time to make the software I want
>this is obviously because they have a moral defect, the problem couldn't possibly be that I don't create or pay for the software that I want!
If you killed yourself, after a brief period of mourning even your family would forget about you.

Attached: alexa.png (651x689, 434.6K)

Yes, with compatibility mode on the exe

>"imagine this fantasy scenario..."
wow, compelling argument.

A 12 year old would think that "hacking" could only mean breaking into computers.

No, people who want a computer that works like Windows should use Windows. If you don't want a system that works like Linux, then either don't use Linux or change it yourself or pay somebody to change it for you.

You know, instead of demanding all linux programmers change their conventions and/or professions to conform to The Windows Way™.

Thanks for summarizing why FOSS is trash.

I mustn't do anything of the sort. I don't give a shit about your games and won't be doing any advocating for you. If you want a lobbyist, hire one. I'm not doing it for you for free.

Because nvidia is pure shit. They require signed firmware blobs to be loaded onto GPUs in order to unlock all the card's features, especially the thermal and overclocking stuff, and they don't make that firmware available to free software drivers. So we're stuck with their pure garbage out-of-tree drivers that barely support anything and cause ridiculous amounts of problems.

After Valve's done porting directX it should spend more money on nouveau and on "convincing" nvidia to cede hardware documentation and proper redistributable firmware releases so that we can all move on and put this nvidia garbage driver situation in the past. Microsoft will eat their lunch otherwise.

If you don't like it, don't use it. If you want something for free and nobody else is giving it away for free, then make it yourself. That's the way the world works in every walk of life. Your sense of entitlement is out of control.

If you don't like it, don't use it. If you want something for free and nobody else is giving it away for free, then make it yourself. That's the way the world works in every walk of life. Your sense of entitlement is out of control.

That worked really well for systemd, huh?
And what about google services, proprietary drivers, and intel (((management engine)))?
Ignoring the issues dont make them go away.

Situation is worse on Windows, so not relevant to OP.
Easy to avoid.
Same problem on Windows, so not relevant to OP.
>and intel (((management engine)))?
Same problem on Windows, so not relevant to OP.

Because the Google team and Alphabet Inc havne't taken control of it fully yet but once they do it will become more user friendly and even have the ability to since to your google account, don't worry user soon Linux will be a major competitor to Microsoft.

Attached: Andou eats a baguette.png (586x743, 509.64K)

It did. Simple don't use systemd and whatever software that requires it. The source is there. Get to work entitled luser.

Pics or we know you're bull.

Shameful.

The Shepherd init in GuixSD is still going strong.
There's also Devuan.

Are you insane?
The vast majority of popular distros are pozzed, and you think that's fine?
Kill yourself Poettering.

Psst...
POWER9

What you should try is asking the devs to release the source code to the game under a freedom-respecting license such as the GPLv3 or Affero, and optionally the art assets as well.