Linux distributions

How can Ubuntu be so shit?
It comes with Gnome that rapes all your ram, and is a pain in the ass to get rid of gnome and all the trash he leaves behind.

The Ubuntu flavors are broke, i can't make Lubuntu boot from live cd or install it.

I don't know, maybe im demanding too much, but will never get used to Ubuntu and his flavors, so i don't know if i keep using Arch(That im having truble with some "broken" packages from the repository) or i move to Linux Mint(XFCE).

Attached: tux.png (2000x2357, 554.31K)

Nothing is more stable than Debian Stable. Except, perhaps, CentOS.

Nothing is more stable than doing your own research on the shit you install.

Don't use shitty distros like Ubuntu, Mint or Manjaro. Just install Debian or Gentoo. Or OpenBSD.

Install gentoo

have you tried gentoo yet?

No, but seems too complicated for me.

Don't you mean Devuan?

The Gentoo Handbook is step-by-step guide to installing and using the Gentoo-specific tools.

Xubuntu is a good lightweight beginner distro, I love it.

Fine, i'll read it. Gentoo runs on virtualbox?

I don't like it, i don't like ubuntu at all.

Installed it on the parents' computer and it was okay but the power management application simply doesn't work and the "app store" is pretty bad.

Devuan is shit

Hi Lennart.

Is it true that Gnome got faster lately?

Watch Mr. Robot and find out!

Should be fine.

You got me

Distributions are not distributions anymore since all of them uses the same software. We should call them flavors. GNU/Linux flavors.

Wrong.
They tend to use different software for important functions, most notably init daemons, package managers, sometimes modified kernels, etc

Try installing a different repo on whatever distro you use, and you'll find yourself in dependency hell.

Year of the Devuan GNU/Hurd desktop?

An executive using Linux?!

manjaro

What has M$ done to you?

For desktop OS, OpenRC = the only modern init.
There precisely 4 desktop distros that use it, and aren't shit:
Gentoo
Devuan
Parabola
Artix

Top-tier, but has steep learning curve. It is ideal for those with time to learn it because it is the most secure everyday distro. It forces you to compile all your software, which increases both security and future performance. It is the highest time-preference distro; therefore the Whitest.
Top-tier, but easier to learn. Capable of doing anything, and is reputed to be the most stable distro. If you want a distro that just works, values security/privacy, and has a cozy community then this is for you. Nearly any Linux software is compatible with Devuan. It should really retain the Debian name because it was founded by refugees of Debian after the kikes subverted it. It has core developers from Debian, so this is the true Aryan Debian.
Linux-libre fork of Arch, meaning that no hidden proprietary blobs/spyware/backdoors come with it. The price of this is extremely limited hardware compatibility. Most likely, you will have to build your machine around the OS. It is ideal for those that like playing with hardware and advancing open-source firmware development. You will be part of a tight-knit community, and intimately connected with your custom-built machine.
After several years of development, all OpenRC forks of Arch have united into this distro, together with all the developers. Arch has for years been Debian's biggest rival. Minimalist, simple to use, highly customizable, and comparable software compatibility. The team of Artix is currently not as good as that of Devuan, but those who want a different Linux flavor should try this one. It's the most appealing distro for many people.

You will never see systemd on any of the above, nor any anti-meritocratic CoCs.

Try MX Linux

Implying

Aren't they commies?

Much citation needed. Compiling software allows verification of source code. That potentially aids only one aspect of security (integrity). I can compile malware or buggy software and it's not going to be any more secure.
It's probably a good OS, but how is it more secure than other general operating systems like Fedora and OpenBSD (although BSD suffers from lack of developers)? What other benefits does it have? Smaller codebase (and therefore attack surface)? Attack mitigation techniques?
Do you need to harden it manually to get these benefits?
t. curious but skeptical

Attached: unreasonably angry jerk.jpg (424x424, 53.14K)

I don't get it...

You mean in 2018 ?
You should try an ubuntu iso from ten years ago the 8 version of it and you'll be surprised.
Simple, try and compare Trisquel you'll see that removing all the blobs enhances stability by 80%. It's still heavy but not Ubuntu heavy.
Do you want even more unstable shit ? Try to install gentoo I made my first installation of it last week and it's just comfy as fuck when you understand it. The wiki gentoo isn't the best unfortunately you'll have to read in a lot of sections to begin to understand it. Right now I need to make a few adjustments to my configuration then install it again and try to do it with sane security features this part will probably be the longest one.

Attached: archguy.png (650x4377, 745.04K)

Not the user you responded too.
It isn't, functions like sandbox, chroot, firewall configuration, permission, Grsecurity2 etc.... has to be done manually.
Depends on what software you install and what use flags you enable.
The whole wiki in general is in medium shape, for example the Xorg/3D acceleration sections have outdated information.

Not relevant to a comparison of Linux distros. Also, you are claiming that an OS needs to be idiot-proof in order to be secure. The problem in that case is the user, not the OS. How the fuck would the installation of shit software by a user reflect poorly on the OS? You're an NPC Applefag, so your opinion is worthless. kys
Is this what normalfags really believe?

Good to know, thanks.

Maybe not, but it can't hurt to include it. Whatever.
No, but I will claim that it is misleading to simply say it ```is``` very secure if that only applies after you harden it manually.
Qubes is very likely to be extremely secure if used properly, but there is almost no benefit if someone doesn't adhere to the isolation principles and uses it like a normal OS. Yes, the user is the problem.
Consider Fedora on the other hand. IIRC, it has many of these security features ``enabled by default``, so if you use the OS in it's given state (which is a very likely scenario for people who hear that it is secure but are not experienced enough they need to compile an OS to get those benefits) then Fedora would be more secure for them. I guess "more secure" is a vague label for an OS, as "more secure as stock" and "can be hardened to be more secure" are disparate attributes.
Because the shit software ``is`` the OS. The hardening extension is the secure part, which it seems is not a normal part of the OS. If they made it an obvious option through the install docs, that would be different. Hardened Gentoo =/= Gentoo. That's almost like saying Windows is secure because running Firefox/Chrome in a sandbox mitigate many attacks. The user's customization is secure, not the OS.
Try again.
Then it shouldn't be hard to prove me wrong by comparing the two, right? If you can provide a good case, I will happily switch to Gentoo.

Mint is fine for me thanks. I'll eventually move on though.

Sure if you love things just randomly breaking. App store sucks ass to.

Gentoo is more secure than your average distribution of GNU+Linux. There are many reasons for this:
1) You completely disable the features you don't want/need (for example, ipv6. ipv6 code isn't as well tested as ipv4 code is)
2) You can compile packages with hardening features
2.5) You can compile the kernel with hardening features (many distros disable some of them in favor of performance)
3) You can use alternative Libc (like musl) to gain immunity against bugs that are specific to the GNU C Library
4) Gentoo isn't a meme distro, unlike Manjaro
5) Gentoo isn't a distro that provides everything out-of-box, unlike Linux Mint. (This wouldn't be a problem if the OS would be configured as secure by default)

Nice bait.
The Linux Mint site used to serve backdoor'd .iso
And don't use any of the (((App Store))) look-a-likes. Just use aptitude if you are on a Debian-based distro. Debian is way better than Mint or *buntu.

Attached: POST_PROOF.jpg (591x768, 67.28K)

It's not secure by default. Like any distribution the features you mention needs to be activated and configured correctly aka reading a lot of documentation. See what said.
Care to share what info you have on that ?
Who decides what's a meme and not ?
Yes and no it depends from where you start. Gentoo automates a lot of work, it's very nice but it's a out of the box feature. Imo LFS is the only one that is truly from scratch.

BS. All mayor distros are using systemd.

Would you say Devuan is good for someone making the exodus from windows? I tried mint, and KDE neon in the past and both just made me switch back again.

I like Ubuntu and GNOME
It works out of the box
fite me kid :^)

I was speaking from personal experience, I prefer XFCE over Cinnamon but Xubuntu itself just always manages to break something with me doing little work to it.
I'll wait til I get full comfy with Mint then I will move on. I've been on different linux distros on and off for at least four years but never stopped using Windows, still haven't. But I've been finding myself using Linux Mint much more latley compared to 10, only using it for vidya.

yeah you're probably right, i don't use the app store though, kek

I use it on my daily shitbox

Definitely. They prioritize simplicity, stability, and maximum compatibility, so you should have no issues.

Ubuntu is basically a Micro$oft project now, by the way. Go look up their funding and how many huge decisions M$ forced them to implement. Ubuntu barely works now, but M$ bots spam everywhere that it's the easiest distro for newbies. KDE software can also be kind of weird because they tend to go their own way, so you get weird features that would increase the dissonance when transitioning.

Notice that bots/shills like this flood every thread with misinformation. M$ is manufacturing a trend towards the Windows/Mint dual boot. Don't fall for this forced meme. Just uninstall Windows, install Devuan, and use a virtual machine if you have to use Windows software. It's super easy.

gentoo is a major distro

Fuck off.

install gentoo

Install Arch, Gentoo is an NSA backdoor and all of these anons are trying to poz you.

Why do you think that gentoo is an NSA backdoor?
I agree that arch is pretty good btw, using it as my main os for quite some time now.

because you're such a nigger you can't use the catalog
4/g/ancer thread

Install GUIXSD

Boy I sure love root exploits being left around for more than a decade