Alternative SmartPhone OSes

With all the talk of changing systems, and seeing the Hell that is on the horizon, I'd like to know about what smartphone operating systems are available. At the moment, I have an Android phone, but I don't see things continuing along any further than they are.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (800x450, 366.99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is it so hard to open up a search engine and enter the query "mobile OSs" or something more specific? Anyways try Lineage

All the results from articles as far back as 5 years ago list the same 4-6 Linux forks. Is there anything that isn't going to be borked by the upcoming lawsuit?

Alternative Smartphone OS' will never be a thing because ARM Smartphones never actually became an Industry Standard Architecture like the IBM PC Wintel machines did. ARM has no platform standards, no hardware interface standards, no BIOS interface standards, none of that. You can boot alternative OS' on Intel Atom devices generally but even on those AHCI is broken on kernels/OS' other than what was shipped with the device so most of the time not even the backlight will work let alone wifi. Smartphones are not for fiddling around with this kind of shit. That's what PCs are made for. It's a waste of time doing it for a fucking smartphone for anything other than hacker cred and e-peen. Android by default already gives you all the interfaces for customization you generally will want granted that you have it rooted. If you want to remove the bawt net then you wouldn't be using a Smartphone to begin with.

Attached: 2da0e64cd72c29f561a6b4c6631d4207afd20e0751ec75c30b6e7e80999247bd.png (692x687, 191.96K)

You glow too much

He's not wrong.

If your concern is privacy, LineageOS is a decent choice: it is Android cleansed of Google's data collecting.

No its not, where does this retarded notion come from? Its not even close to the truth. LineageOS' aim is not privacy, it's aim is to provide a bloatware-free rom that's stable and has the latest security updates. The only reason they don't include Gapps by default is because Google forced them not to for licensing reasons. The OS still relies on all the original OEM driver blobs including RIL. It's a great ROM for stability, security, and in terms of overall user experience and responsiveness vs stock, but please do not spread disinformation.

lol, Lineage even ships with Google Chrome as browser by default.
I think user meant Replicant

As said, lack of standards makes the task almost impossible.
Consider this, modern smartphones do not have a standardized boot sequence nor a standardized device discovery sequence, even when they run the same Os and are made by the same company.

Use the microG fork of Lineage. Significantly less botnet

It's true. Cellphones are botnet by definition, transmitting your location with higher accuracy with every new network standard.
Smartphones are a double edged sword, on the one hand thereā€˜s an immense amount of sensors and usage data being collected, but unlike with feature phones at least encrypted communication is possible.

Wait!
If I'm understanding this correctly, then smartphones are the most "secure and private" any generation of cellular phone produced to date, and the only reason why they are the least private means of communication is due to companies wanting that botnet money and/or the lack of a standardized model of development?
That makes it seem like Steve Jobs wasn't a sell out.

I miss Steve Jobs

There's MeeGo and SailfishOS, both not based on Android.

MeeGo is discontinued and Sailfish OS is more or less dead (The only devices that shipped with it are the phone from 2013, over 5 years ago, and their tablet, which as been officially discontinued).

Reminder that Ubuntu Touch is officially undead and that Plasma Mobile is still being developed.

PureOS ftw

Smartphones are botnet. No way around it.
No matter what user facing OS you run on top you still have zero control over the baseband OS.

SailfishOS has been ported to numerous devices and is still in development.

Do the RMS way and bring your thinkpad with you wherever. It's what I do, and I'm pretty cool even by my own standards.

Attached: RMSandhiscomputer.jpg (900x675, 217.4K)

Proofs? Both their flagship devices are discontinued IIRC

wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris

Oh I see, it's just another sad porting effort where developers try desperately to fight ARMs lack of any kind of platform standards and is required to tailor make builds for each third party device.

Attached: index.jpg (225x225, 4.84K)

Yeah :^)