OpenBSD more like NopeBSD

infoworld.com/article/3099038/open-source-tools/openbsd-60-tightens-security-by-losing-linux-compatibility.html
OpenBSD can't even support Linux binaries kek

OpenBSD, one of the more prominent variants of the BSD family of Unix-like operating systems, will be released at the beginning of September, according to a note on the official OpenBSD website. Often touted as an alternative to Linux, OpenBSD is known for the lack of proprietary influence on its software and has garnered a reputation for shipping with better default security than other OSes and for being highly vigilant (some might say strident) about the safety of its users. Many software router/firewall projects are based on OpenBSD because of its security-conscious development process. Most significant among the latest security-related changes for OpenBSD is the removal of Linux emulation support. Prior versions of OpenBSD made it possible to run Linux applications via a compatibility layer, but the release notes for OpenBSD 6.0 indicate the Linux subsystem was removed as a "security improvement."

Talk about useless, does anyone with a job actually use this?

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119318909016582
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119326303217813&w=2
marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=153707735020090&w=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sounds about right

They consider it insecure, same with virtualization. They also need to figure out proper hardware acceleration--until they do that, it'll be an OS relegated to routers and very old hardware.

OpenBSD has a native hypervisor

Now we have the momentum to port all code to OpenBSD, so it will JUST WERK

That'll end up going as well as the attempted Trannux fork

also there is some proprietary software on linux that many people need to use that they can't use in openbsd's closed box

What ?

Some autists were talking about forking Linux after the CoC, obviously never happened.

That's a good thing in my opinion. It's also really good that a lot of people dislike OpenBSD and don't want to use it. We don't need more people in the OpenBSD realm. Linux tried to include everyone and look where it got them.

LinuxLibre ;^)

I vaguely remember it, were they trannies?

The solution is for us to get good at coding.

OpenBSD hasn't had binary compat for years. This is old news.

OP is a retard confirmed.

OP is a transexual SJW in woman's clothes and he should be ashamed of his degeneracy, both in clothing choices and in shitposting.

Mr. Sageman

It's over
The Jews won
There are no good operating systems to use anymore. We had a good run folks, but we're old and outdated. All hail the new era of Python and Javascript based interfaces to operating systems as a service.

THIS

lmao that would be great if the next implementation of UEFI had a native python interpreter so we can all truly make the first python based bootloader and kernel

At this point nothing would shock me. I've even seen serious people trying to use Python as a language to program FPGAs, so those retards can infest the EE world too.

Good. Trannix binaries should be never allow on real operating systems.

I think I might just spend more time on endch at this point, q-user tier underlings keep ruining these threads. I'd even prefer cuteposter showing back up again.

So? ELF is garbage and so is virtualization. I have the later disabled even on Linux.

Why would OpenBSD support Linux binaries? OpenBSD isn't a distribution of Linux or the GNU system; It's completely different OS. This is like saying something retarded like: "Why doesn't Linux support Windows binaries?"

You need to stop samefagging

i saw va-api in wip ports, when is that done?

Just use QEMU or separate disk with Windows instead of contaminating your main os with cancer

but it does

There already are plenty of forks, almost every distro has their own custom kernel fork, SoC makers have their own forks, etc.
The problem isn't forking or maintaining your fork, but rather the difficulty of getting recognized as the main upstream source to which people will send their patches

no it doesn't.

1) wine isn't part of Linux
1.5) You must realize that OpenBSD had the support inside its kernel
2) Linux doesn't support windows' PE format on its own

Virtualization is vastly superior to using any kind of comparability layers.

This has been known for years. You're so behind.

Nice opinion, fagtron. Why virtualize the entire hardware and run another OS when you just need to interpret PE binaries and translate Windows function calls?

Fucking disgusting,
you do realize linux binaries are ELF.
What they have to do is to be able to link their correct libraries and work on the syscalls by linux since linux has way more syscalls than openBSD has.
Also when I think about it, I think its a good decision to not support linux binaries since by adding syscalls to the openbsd kernel they would increase their attack surface.

I just read the thread, my point still stands though.
It is a security issue and the reasoning is explained above.
I don't know how they handled the syscall part but either way they implemented it, is a security issue.

kek, imagine believing this stupid shit

It really does.

LORD THEO FROWNS UPON YOUR SUGGESTION
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119318909016582

List: openbsd-misc
Subject: Re: About Xen: maybe a reiterative question but ..
Date: 2007-10-24 1:14:13
Message-ID: 200710240114.l9O1EDt3003562 () cvs ! openbsd ! org
[Download message RAW]

You've been smoking something really mind altering, and I think you
should share it.

x86 virtualization is about basically placing another nearly full
kernel, full of new bugs, on top of a nasty x86 architecture which
barely has correct page protection. Then running your operating
system on the other side of this brand new pile of shit.

You are absolutely deluded, if not stupid, if you think that a
worldwide collection of software engineers who can't write operating
systems or applications without security holes, can then turn around
and suddenly write virtualization layers without security holes.

You've seen something on the shelf, and it has all sorts of pretty
colours, and you've bought it.

That's all x86 virtualization is.

0.00001/10 b8

SURELY now that Linus has been CoC'd in the face, Lord Theo is our new spirit animal!

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119326303217813&w=2

########

List: openbsd-misc
Subject: Re: About Xen: maybe a reiterative question but ..
Date: 2007-10-24 21:41:25
Message-ID: 200710242141.l9OLfPTZ019994 () cvs ! openbsd ! org
[Download message RAW]

It's that extra 4MB of poo code, that is what makes it more secure.

It's slippery and sticky at the same time, so that the application
attackers slip and slide and fall into the page boundaries.

If the actual hardware let us do more isolation than we do today, we
would actually do it in our operating system.

The problem is the hardware DOES NOT actually give us more isolation
abilities, therefore the VM does not actually do anything what the say
they do.

While x86 hardware has the same page-protection hardware that an IBM
390 architecture machine has, modern PC machines are a mess. They are
architecturally so dirty, that parts of the video, keyboard, and other
IO devices are interfaced with even to do simple things like context
switching processes and handling interrupts. Those of us who have
experience with the gory bits of the x86 architecture can clearly say
that we know what would be involved in virtualizing it, and if it was
so simple, we would not still be fixing bugs in the exact same area in
our operating system going on 12 years.

We know what a VM operating system has to do to deal with the PC
architecture. It is too complex to get perfectly right.

And now you've entered into the layered approach where *any error* in
the PC model exposed to the client operating system is not just a
crashing bug -- it is now exploitable.

It might be nice, but it is stupid. And anyone who thinks there is
any security advantage at any level knows nothing about PC
architecture.

marc.info/?l=openbsd-bugs&m=153707735020090&w=2

List: openbsd-bugs
Subject: Re: Compiler bugs...
Date: 2018-09-16 5:55:28
Message-ID: e0a33c0cc38c8ea4 () openbsd ! org
[Download message RAW]

Regarding gcc, that is the last compiler which is free enough for us to ship.
Our hands are tied. And naturally, eventually gcc will probably
stop shipping on the architecture you are using, since we have other architectures
only using clang.

As to clang, that is the compiler version that was available on the
day 6.3 shipped. With more funding from you personally, perhaps the
OpenBSD Foundation can purchase the time travel device which is on our
wishlist.

I doubt that will happen, so 6.4 is going to also ship with the clang
available on that day.

wtf I love OpenBSD now

According to the UNIX propaganda, UNIX and C are portable, so your program should run on any form of UNIX. The entire reason for OpenBSD and Linux to be based on UNIX and come with all these shitty "tools" is to run UNIX programs. There shouldn't need to be any "emulation" or "subsystem" in the first place. OpenBSD and Linux both use ELF, which is from AT&T System V and sucks, but weenies say it's portable.

Theo de Raadt thinks everyone is using a PDP-11 at AT&T instead of their own computer where they have access to their own drives. UNIX is not designed for users with their own machines or for real multi-user environments like Multics, so it sucks at both. If he's saying there are security problems caused by mounting a drive without root, he means the whole OS is broken and can't be fixed. The security problems are still there with mounting as root, so it just gives them a chance to blame the user for using root instead of actually solving the problem.

>> As part of my research on the Mach project at CMU, I've>> been working on a program that generates names for future>> versions of the unix operating system. Version 0.1 of>> this program will take a list of words and generate a>> random permutation of those words. Examples are as>> follows:>> >> input> { power, open, open-systems, desktop }>> >> output> >> open power desktop>> open open-systems>> power desktop>> desktop open-systems>> etc.The should also be a subtitle composed of a randompermutation of at least the following: "object-oriented","distributed", "parallel", "standards-compliant", "secure","user-friendly", "portable" and worst of all"backward-compatible". The permutation should then besuffixed with a string generated by the unixoid regularexpression "[A-Z]+-?IX".So now we get things like:open power desktop: a secure distributed portable HI-IXdesktop open-systems: a parallel standards-compliant user-friendly MOKIX.

lmfao at least make your strawmen believable

I came to this thread expecting you to be here and was not disappointed. 10/10 user.