Gallium_9 now standard in Ubuntu

Gallium 9 is now included in Ubuntu going forward. This means older Windows games will run a lot better in Wine since G9 is nearly native.

omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/10/gallium-nine-ubuntu-18-10

wiki.ixit.cz/d3d9

Attached: xlarge.jpeg (750x1024, 163.78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/66
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20952
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

And here I thought it was dead.

Attached: xlargie.jpeg (1024x576, 131.2K)

Oh, the hitch here is that Intel fags are totally fucked and Nvidia niggers can only use this via Nouveau (works decently with the 7XXX series and older).

Attached: gui-guimaraes-nvidia-senpai-final.jpg (620x720 106.69 KB, 137.3K)

Just one more reason to have an AMD card for Linux.

Attached: sample_e2e201b00c1bc8e605f11fb308a07915c16ff4aa.jpg (850x1172, 187.54K)

Yes, and? Games are fun and all the better that you need Windows less and less to run them.

Attached: 6e387f9c5e9a07761f7842b79ab5ab891bbf63f82da2a919ad2477bf31ab6ff7.png (500x500, 68.2K)

So, how much of a performance boost are we talkin'?

Will this work with stock Wine or will I have to patch and compile a custom build. I use PlayOnLinux to manage different versions of Wine because different versions work differently well with different games.

any other distros with this? or nah?

The site has Arch as the example so I guess Arch has it too

Expect the PPA to hit not long after 18.10 is out. This announcement basically saves you half the process to get it working from before.

Attached: 037ff1635dc7e3f3a988e20e82b631be.png (320x320, 74.24K)

So in other words GAYmers are responsible for botnet? Sounds about right.

Seems there is some debate over adding Gallium 9 to Valve's Proton fork of Wine since VK9 progress has been so slow compared to DXVK:

github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/66

Nvidia fags be salty~ And isn't Intel moving to a Gallium based driver too?

I did benchmarks for a game with and without Gallium Nine and posted them here.
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20952

I'm the maintainer.

Got FO4 running in Proton. Good performance too~ Valve has made Wine into a viable means of 'porting' games with DXVK. Alas, poor eON.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-14 22-27-10.png (1920x1080, 3.02M)

This is good news. How will it effect Steam's Proton?

There is already talk of adding Gallium 9 to Proton since Intel switching to a Gallium based driver would make it 'worth it'.

Yeah, eON actually loses to DXVK most of the time. Good. I'm still pissed off at Virtual Programming for the FUD they were spreading about Wine back when they "ported" Witcher 2.

Attached: 2ca5278e53444a7e0ce914685996dfa522f8d31b.png (948x1229, 1.02M)

Gallium_9 is no longer really useful tbh, it's ship has sailed and d3dx that wine uses by default has already gotten much better and with the new craze of dxvk, it's pretty much useless now.

I don't think you understand what wine is.

It was practically useless when I originally wrote it. This is not new.

Wine is a re-implementation of Win32. It's no more Windows than GNU is a BSD/Unix userland.

Gallium 9 is still better than Wines OpenGL translation layer. Especially on older hardware, and even though games are not being made with DX9 much anymore (A Hat In Time being a recent exception) there are still THOUSANDS of older games that benefit from it.

Attached: 0d952c0b1dcee805abc483f262a2a809b9b63880.png (1719x1392, 722.07K)

DXVK is for DX11. Gallium 9 is for DX9. Hypothetically, a Vulkan translation layer COULD outperform G9 since Vulkan is even lower-level then the Gallium framework, but progress on that has been really slow. Gallium 9 is here now and it works. It also is going to work on newer Intel hardware, which makes it more worthwhile to consider for Proton.

Attached: 4639533e55ebcd62c9cbb2086aba05ab56893056.png (512x875, 405.5K)

I know the Wine guys like to pretend the differences aren't that big between GL2 and D3D9 but it's not really true. There are plenty of small details that cause major grief when translating one to the other. It's just that most games don't hit many of the slow paths.
But in all honesty, I never intended it to become a big thing. Sure, the potential was always there and I did write it in such a way that it's not a total nightmare machine when it comes to integration; but it was always just for shits and giggles.

which all work fine and good on wine's mainline staging releases without the need of any retarded patchwork.
currently running wine staging 3.18 and i haven't had a single problem or slowdown playing games like fallout newvegas.
Gallium was a meme and it was only a quick fix solution to a larger problem, wine devs knew this and so it never became offically part of wine.
Still requires you to do some shitty patchwork or rely on some distro maintainer or repo to package it.

plus the split standards and the obvious skewing to amd hardware was one factor but honestly not a big one in my opinion.
nvidia are just a bit slow when it comes to this shit, mainly due to their proprietary nature.

That's just not true. They're about even, with Gallium exposing a bit more internals than VK.

d9k sounds very promising and sense it's getting backed by valve apparently, i think it's not too far out of reach.

If you are the G9 dev, thanks for making A Hat in Time playable on my old FX 8350 & GTX 760 box.

Gallium STILL outperforms stock Wine with D3D9, there is no denying that. Sure, it's too bad Nvidia is a shitty company when it comes to supporting open standards, but that's not G9's fault.

Attached: d56a4db4b8c973dc23d816bae1e07effc104505c.png (1060x1500, 1.17M)

gallium requires a patched version of wine while dxvk is contained within dlls and can work on either wine or windows.
Theres hardly any real comparison.

Got any sources on this? Both Phoronix and GoL have stated Vulkan is lower.

It just needs a small patch to winex11.dll so it can load a well-defined D3D adapter interface from libd3dadapter9.so. The entire interface is self-contained and works in the exact same way as wined3d does. It was never a big deal and the Wine devs were opposed to any efforts that wasn't directly contributing to wined3d.dll from well before this was a thing. They stated outright from the inception that they would not consider any such effort for inclusion.
The argument was always that if that amount of effort was spent improving wined3d.dll then it would produce the same benefit.

They're probably stating that because you can't effectively implement Vulkan on Gallium, but the reverse is probably also true.
The core concept in both interfaces is binding simple state and uploading buffers of various types. If you look at the context API in Gallium you'll see that it's basically the same as Vulkan. The main difference is that Gallium makes no effort to hide internals and is thus not useful as an external API.

if it really was just the dll then why the hell couldn't it be done through a dll override like dxvk?
gallium is completely missing in winetricks, are you telling me that they couldn't manage to understand the absolute basics of wine?

Interesting.

Originally it was self-contained, but Wine doesn't allocate one X11 window context per HWND so it needs knowledge of the internals to draw at the correct offsets when winex11 does wonky stuff. This affected things like VLC and an official D3D9 test exe.

Wasn't AMD moving away from Gallium?

Attached: 70a1d56a1cdcd419921b7f7cd724551226b103ac.gif (476x809, 2.37M)

Addendum: calim was always a big proponent of the self-contained approach, but I couldn't see a way of making it work 100% without patching winex11. So it's my fault.

big if true

Not really. The future is low-level APIs like Vulkan - which is just Gallium in a form that's workable as an external interface.

But IS it true. I mean, Intel was just moving TO Gallium.

As long as AMD keeps the drives open, I'll be alright with it. What concerns me is that they're still wasting time with their proprietary OpenGL implementation. Is there any reason you can't just use Mesa on Windows too?

Attached: f01dc83d990472c23160af1b499bc2d372bc76b3.jpg (1024x1024, 150.02K)

keeps the drivers*

I think Mesa ran just fine on Windows back when I worked on it. Obviously not hardware accelerated but the part that's used as a GL state tracker was.
Don't underestimate how much of a retrofit everything is though. Back then at least Mesa was a fucking awful GL state tracker. It was many times slower than it ought to be when compared with nVIDIA's stuff. It got a lot better but it was still very much a stand-alone system and treated Gallium mostly as a regular driver.

Thank fuck Mesa is actually pretty good these days. Thanks to Valve, ironically, looking at it from the bad old days.

Attached: f2100a653302b584eb44e8e82136bf3fc9447863.jpeg (700x900, 257.27K)

I see it in community/wine-gaming-nine

Is it worth it for me to move from wine-staging to this? I don't think I've ever tested it.

That's pretty neat, user. Now test a good Fallout game, like Fallout 2.

nvidia > amd
change my mind.

I use an RX 480, but yes, I'd use an Nvidia card if both only had proprietary driver support. Nvidia cards are quieter, cooler, and more performant (not to mention AMD's non-existent high-end). The amdgpu driver is the only reason to use AMD cards.

What is the point of anything higher than mid-tier on Linux? Oh, right, nothing. And don't undersell the benefits having good drivers out of the box are.

Sounds like Ubuntu is more behind the times than Debian Stale.

anyway welcome to 2015

tell me about the shadow. what do you know about the shadow?

You can run games bette- oh, wait...

that's just the skirt folds

If you had any integrety for privacy and freesoftware, you'd uninstall wine right now.

Wine is F/OSS.

I mean, there ARE games on Linux now, but the point is that VERY few games NEED more than a mid-tier card.