The push for centralization

I'm sure we have all noticed that the popular trend has been moving towards a few highly centralized, proprietary services. Everything from our methods of consuming content to our messaging services is going this way.
How? and why?

No longer do people have personal webpages, or congregate on a variety of fairly-anonymous websites and forums. Nowadays, a majority of people use social media websites such as Facebook, Instagram (which is also Facebook), Twitter, etc. All of which are filled with copious amounts of Javascript and are dedicated to mining your data as much as possible.

The case of messaging services is even more insidious, and it is where the conspiracy side of this comes into play. People have been moving to services such as Discord and Whatsapp for their messaging needs, whereas before people would use XMPP or Email. Fairly recently, we saw an example of a coordinated attack on decentralization. The Efail vulnerability was a flaw in the implementation of GPG in various email clients, that could potentially allow the contents of (at least) HTML email to be read. When this vulnerability came out, the Electronic Frontier Foundation published numerous articles claiming that GPG itself was unsafe to use, and that users should abandon email entirely and use Signal instead. Signal, although claiming to be for user privacy, is an entirely centralized mobile app that demands your phone number, and the client is hardcoded to connect to a single server. The EFF intentionally misrepresented the issue and on top of that, did not consider things such as XMPP+OMEMO. This cannot have been unintentional. EFF has shilled Signal numerous times before as well.

Thoughts? Why do so many users buy into this centralization meme?

Attached: Centralization.jpg (2400x1499, 655.03K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anonymous-france.eu/how-to-connect-to-the-onionirc.html
privacytools.io/
spyware.neocities.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's all part of the plan goy. Go back to sleep.

I think the EFF was actually taken over by SJW's so they are probably pozzed as well. They would have to be pretty infiltrated to actually shill signal. You literally can't even sign up on the app without giving it your phone number and contacts.

XMPP is it now. It's the only thing left. IRC is a joke because all the servers don't allow Tor and the few that do require you to create an account on the clearnet first so they can harvest your IP.

XMPP + Tor + creep.im or bust.

Normalfags want convenience. If you want them to use distributed or federated services instead of centralised ones, make them more convenient and as "just werks" as you can.

Attached: 02165b35c08549912d51c629011ef69907bbaa7b9fef1be4dcf418a98d98588a.png (616x480, 199.45K)

Matrix is bloat. Who cares about voice chat? That's some CIA nigger shit for sure. Probably some glower on the other end running voice analysis on you.

For most people, computers and technology may as well be magic.
Understanding the importance of decentralization and E2E encryption is something that requires either being personally affected (e.g. detained for sharing "subversive" ideas in China, or less extremely: getting deplatformed for "hate speech"), or knowing how bad things really areā„¢.
You would think that most techies would fall into the latter, but we both know that's incorrect. Sometimes it's due to a lack of ethics (many self-taught code slingers aren't bound by a code of ethics like most other professionals are), and sometimes it's just plain ignorance. I was going to give some examples, but I'm sure you have your own.

It seems like that; self-hosting is trivial with Prosody, and it works well enough with Let's Encrypt too. However, maybe it's me who's part of the "ignorant" group I mentioned, but I only learnt of XMPP because some shitposters were shilling it in 4/g/. I mean, all you read about is Signal this, Signal that, and once in a blue moon you read about Riot (and Matrix). But [almost] never about XMPP+OMEMO...

Why Tor? Doesn't all communication go through the server? Can other people find your IP or something?

possibly if they attempt to share a file with you and you accept it but you don't have any file share proxy configured in your client. at that point it become a direct connection and they have your IP. Tor prevents that. you don't even need to configure a file share proxy because it all goes through Tor anyway.

i create a MUC on creep.im if you goys wanna join.

muc.creep.im
room name is 8ch-net
password is computersarecool

So set up a server that allows Tor.
Or connect to one of the ones that are already running as a hidden service now.
Your complaint is with a server's policy. There is no technical reason why IRC can not run on tor or run with encryption.

i don't know of any.

This one looks like a bunch of antifags but i guess you could just make your own channel.
anonymous-france.eu/how-to-connect-to-the-onionirc.html

Just search "irc hidden service .onion" or something.

or you could just learn how to use pidgin and XMPP and have a service that isn't ran by a bunch of mentally ill sjws...

lolo IRC users are the prime group of "muh IP blocking" charlatans

At any rate: there really is nothing we can do about this push. The good goys will just keep on eating it up and everything will become more centralized until everyone is forced to answer to a single entity. True freedom is being bred out of the people and soon everything will be dominated by Google and its ilk. (((They))) can never get tired of winning!

Doesn't really matter. You and almost everyone else ITT has most likely already taken the blackpill and admitting defeat. NPCs will never join our cause, and decentralization will never happen. This is something that can no longer be debated as Google takes over more and more of our lives.

*Google and friends

For all the bluepilled autists:
we can do it if we try!

Attached: a.jpg (292x173, 6.18K)

pls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy

wen day is dark alway rember happy day

This and are the best threads active on this board currently. People are actually seeing shit realistically and admitting that fighting (((them))) is forever a lost cause, and NPCs will never fucking change their ways. Ever.

Stop pushing your cuckolding fantasies on everyone else, cuckpilled user

Name one reason why we should fight back. (((They))) have literally every advantage over us. There is no escape.

Typical blackpiller strategies:
so far we 3 out of 5 at least.

The real question is what can be done:

- No more personal webpages? Make one on neocities, which was created exactly for that. If you don't want to, then at least support the ones that already exist. Send a nice comment to someone - maybe it will keep him going; it can be hard to keep motivation in this corpo world.
- No more forums? There are still some. Use them.
- People following the centralization? Inform them of the dangers. Show them alternatives. Or even better, make a whole website with that information. There is a guy here who has been posting some info damning Cloudflare for some time, but how many people do you think will read it? And he has to keep reposting it since this is a chan...He would do better to immortalize it on a website.

Yes, EFF has been compromised for YEARS. I mean they had an article like "Who has your back" where they praised Twitter and shit. Inform people whenever it comes up.

Don't give up. We can win the war.

Attached: Crusader.jpg (540x539, 21.07K)

Agreed. I do the information stuff in particular. My family now knows the dangers and absolutely on board with Free Software for the most part. I also recommend non-botneted stuff to people who ask for a program for X task.

4? I've seen all except the last.

Attached: HAHAHAHAHA.jpg (1280x544, 80.78K)

I meant just in this one thread.
also, quints of truth

Please list a few good examples. There are a few crap ones and a few just a bit too autistic for the masses. Those simple recommendation sites are very useful.

this isn't a GET, it's an EARN
good job friend

Attached: huey lewis.png (809x402, 399.08K)

There was that neocities site that details how much various programs phone home
Also this privacytools.io/

spyware.neocities.org/
You mean this site?

God that site is so shit stop reposting it

Professional blackpill. Just use matrix.ordoevangelistarum.com
Also

stop shilling your shit site

because it's fun to be an underdog and take on the juggernaut. I mean is this a real question, or are you just a forever faggot stuck in faggotvil? Do you need more of a reason to be competitive in the game of life?