Ubuntu Snap is Cancer

I haven't used Ubuntu for years, ever since they started selling their souls to Amazon and bundling literal actual botnet malware in their distro, but for some reason I decided to give it an honest go today. Forget the Amazon shit. Forget the systemd. SNAP is the worst thing in the fucking world. Snap is pure absolute cancer.

How in the hell do people use Ubuntu? WHY do people still use Ubuntu? Jesus christ what the fuck happened to Ubuntu.

Attached: Ubuntu-Snap-Store.jpg (900x506, 20.87K)

It's like the state of package management is simultaneously getting worse AND getting better. On one hand we have Windows tier application bundle installs like Snap, and then there's Nix and Guix who have brought incredible advances to the field with functional package management.

Snaps are p gud, why do you hate them?

I still use apt and don't even know what snaps are.

This. I use Ubuntu and I have never used snaps. I use apt and when I want something recent I use Guix. I am convinced that functional package management is the only sensible future for package management.

What are snaps? Are they like docker containers?

Attached: snap.jpg (500x450, 51.14K)

I've never used this, but what is wrong with it?

Snap is basically Wine for Linux applications. Everything gets sandboxed into its own little emulated linux file structure with all of its dependencies bundled in too. This makes every single package colossal, like Windows but even worse. Firefox is hundreds of megabytes large. It also puts everything in non-standard locations that no longer pull their configurations from ~/.config because they're really in /snap/mpv/1/,config instead, and now instead of having just one version of libssl to update you have 300 versions on 10 different directory levels for all the different snaps.

It's a travesty.

I know what snap is, but what does Ubuntu snap do different to the mix? Also, doesn't this problem apply to any sandboxing container?

Oh, I guess snap is developed by Canonical. I remembered it was something entirely separate from them.

Also, this isn't like wine, it's just a container which virtualizes (I'm not sure if it does that though compared to others). If it was doing Windows it would be better for dependency management (Gobolinux) if it was doing it on top of the existing global file hierarchy.

Didn't 18.10 ooboontoo use snaps on simple apps like system monitor and calculator by default too? lmao at the absolute state of corporate backed linux, forcing standards that no one want just because they can.

I for one would rather random fucking apps be in some kind of sandbox. I need to run different versions of shit all the time and dealing with the hell of a package manager conflict is a PITA. Similarly providing SOME isolation for default is needed. The fact that every piece of shit application can do anything my user can is retarded.

Holy shit yes. I used Xubuntu 18.04 for a few months to see if using something simple as my daily driver would be better for me. There were a ton of useless services, but the worst was snapd. It would bog the system down at bizarre times and when I decided to use it, I was not impressed. Tons of behavior I just disliked, like creating a snap directory in my home directory that wasn't necessary, as packages were installed elsewhere.

I removed it, only for it to return when I updated to 18.10 along with whoopsie, kerneloops, and all the other annoying shit I purposefully purged beforehand.

Upgrading to 18.10 on day one was retarded as hell and after that experience, I went back to Arch, where retards like me belong.

Attached: dat-rice.jpg (1680x840, 108.79K)

Apparmor was annoying as shit as well and also came back. Firejail works just fine for all this shit.

You really are an idiot

I said as much in my post. You don't know my setup anyways, so I'm not worried.

What is snap? Does debian have this cancer?

Ok you bloat, your choice.

This doesn't sound like a bad thing.

It is Canonical's attempt at precompiled universal packages that can theorically work with any currently maintained distro.
See also:

Yes. snapd, the package which enables snap support, is in their main repos.

Haven't installed FurryFail on Windows in several years, have you?

Who the actual fuck would use jewbuntu? The CEO Jane Silber was Vice President of General Dynamics C4 Systems which is a USA government contractor. Bot net of peace.

The fuck. Uninstalling Ubuntu now.

I didn’t know that. Makes you think...

For pedantic purposes, Jane Silber isn't CEO anymore since 2017.

I knew snap is cancer. Why the fuck would anyone want to go back to inferior program delivery method from windows after he has experienced superior modular package system.

wut

at least it fucking works

as opposed to old style package management where it takes such tremendous effort to maintain packages that most packages are 2 years behind master or don’t even run (see: everything on Arch)

lol

I graduated from Ubuntu right after running a do-release-upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04 showed me how bad things really could be
Went straight to Debian+XFCE because I wanted muh easy linux and it only takes up ~350MB RAM with nothing else running. Switched to Arch recently and love pacman even more so no I can't see why anyone would even waste their time with Ubuntu unless they're noobs.

You need to elaborate. What part of Snap is bad?

That's inconclusive. If someone maintains a free software package it's allowed to be on the main repos. It's not installed by default either.

It was the only distro I got to work with my hardware.

I tried

Linux Mint
Antergos
Artix
Debian
Devuan

and don't want to distro hop from something that works.

What do you mean by supports your hardware? Which hardware exactly? Ubuntu is based on Debian, so both should work.

99% sure it's because of my video card. It specificly needed kernel version 4.15 or later to begin with.

Not even Alex likes Ubungtu or Snap

Attached: Screenshot_20181023-120915.png (1440x2560, 489.81K)

it's a joke

Oh yeah? How?

been using ubuntustudio since 12.04 - no amazon

okay then...
Fucking postgresql is broken in the default package manager? lmao
I went back to Ubuntu, at least the community is large enough that you can google any problem.

Another reason I stick with Ubuntu derivatives. It may suck, but at least on something unique like NixOS I wouldn't need to deal.with aailing list or god help you IRC to get your probpem solved

More news at 11