IBM is reportedly nearing a deal to acquire Red Hat

cnbc.com/2018/10/28/ibm-is-reportedly-nearing-deal-to-acquire-red-hat.html
archive.fo/7Uzf5

Attached: 1521397979622.jpg (3504x2336, 2.68M)

Other urls found in this thread:

newsroom.ibm.com/2018-10-28-IBM-To-Acquire-Red-Hat-Completely-Changing-The-Cloud-Landscape-And-Becoming-Worlds-1-Hybrid-Cloud-Provider
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Watson
techrights.org/category/ibm/
redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/ibm-acquire-red-hat-completely-changing-cloud-landscape-and-becoming-world’s-1-hybrid-cloud-provider
en.swpat.org/wiki/IBM_and_TurboHercules,_2010
azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-joins-lot-network-helping-protect-developers-against-patent-assertions/
azure.microsoft.com/de-de/blog/microsoft-joins-open-invention-network-to-help-protect-linux-and-open-source/
fsf.org/news/fsf-statement-on-microsoft-joining-the-open-invention-network
youtube.com/watch?v=2zfqw8nhUwA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux#Naming
twitter.com/RedHat/status/1056623066019696640
channele2e.com/news/ibm-watson-layoffs-2018-health-staff-members-cut/
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18321884
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First systemd, then the CoC, now this.

lol
That is all.

fucking based

damn daddy

Good. What's the problem? I thought IBM was one of the "good guys" because of POWER9? Make up your fucking mind.

newsroom.ibm.com/2018-10-28-IBM-To-Acquire-Red-Hat-Completely-Changing-The-Cloud-Landscape-And-Becoming-Worlds-1-Hybrid-Cloud-Provider

Thomas Watson was certainly a good guy.

They actually did it.
The absolute madmen.

Guess now I definitely gotta install OpenBSD.

I don't see the problem. Can't get worse than Red Hat's poetteringzation, and IBM is a good company although few care for them now.

Attached: tech.jpg (480x360, 20.24K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Watson
And here I thought they had number tattoos and normal paper records. What a fool I was.
I didn't even know this. Glad I looked it up. If the jews kvetch that hard about him, he must have been a truly good person.

You mean the "join our foundation, goy" OpenPOWER thing trying to pose as an alternative to RISC-V?

While they use their software patents against smaller competitors with some members of the FLOSS community calling for a boycott because of this there's also the POWER architecture which is open and libre.
techrights.org/category/ibm/

They've been involved with GNU/Linux and many GNU tools for decades already so this merger makes sense. And it's also very good news for the POWER platform which is why I'm cautiously optimistic.

More "not actively hostile guys". They want nothing but to grab your shekels, but at least they still think of people as consumers rather than natural resource

Just like it makes sense for Microsoft to buy Linux, because they've been working with LInux for a long time, and are a FSF Platinum member.

fyi, it's confirmed:
redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/ibm-acquire-red-hat-completely-changing-cloud-landscape-and-becoming-world’s-1-hybrid-cloud-provider

Red Hatter here. Don't know what to think of it yet.

You probably mean Linux Foundation member and back when their CEO was calling the GPL a cancer in the computing industry IBM was making ads like this in the early 2000s.

IBM did fuck up big time awhile back when they used software patents they previously promised not to use in a threatening manner which did nothing but strengthen the FSF's position that these tech companies have so many patents it doesn't matter if they give up a few to look good.
en.swpat.org/wiki/IBM_and_TurboHercules,_2010

There's also that software patent lawsuit they won recently against Groupon that the FLOSS community isn't to crazy about either, but Groupon did also attack GNOME a few years back on some trademark dispute so nobody really wants to defend them.

Attached: IBM Linux Commercial-fJA9eiUktcA.mp4 (320x240, 1.38M)

azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-joins-lot-network-helping-protect-developers-against-patent-assertions/
azure.microsoft.com/de-de/blog/microsoft-joins-open-invention-network-to-help-protect-linux-and-open-source/

It's just the usual:
Embrace
Extend
Extinguish
I can't remember them doing anything that has to do with advancing GNU/Linux but making compatibility layers for Windows instead.

remove faggot, fired them all IBM.

fsf.org/news/fsf-statement-on-microsoft-joining-the-open-invention-network

And this is no different than their 'Microsoft Open Specification Promise' and 'Microsoft Community Promise' they did years earlier. It's worthless when they can use patent troll proxies to go after competitors. The site techrights covers this in detail.

the POWER architecture isn't open or libre faggot, it's behind an NDA and paywall.

Who cares seriously

IBM?
youtube.com/watch?v=2zfqw8nhUwA

people that care about GPL software Redhat has made.
I just find the news interesting that is on a Sunday they announce their hostile take over. Not a Monday when people work, no, a Sunday, the least day to reach mainstream news, and right around Halloween.

Spooky right?

Meanwhile they make over $5 for almost every Android device sold.

Which is GPL so I say again: Who cares?

Attached: interject.io.png (1024x576, 627.29K)

why "hostile"? What's wrong with IBM?

The code that runs on it is entirely libre which is what matters. And the paywall for the openpower foundation only applies to companies, associates and academic members don't have to pay.

Objection sustained, he named it freax at first and the guy who was in charge of the FTP server named it Linux without consulting him about it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux#Naming

And here's something I never heard of before

IBM is seemingly able to pull money out of the US government's ass whenever it wants, and Redhat's top customer is the US government. It sounds like a good match.

Irrelevant or good. Red Hat is complete shit, so there is no way IBM will make it worse, but maybe they can make it better. It could be a good thing.

Well, time to install OS/2 on my IBM ThinkCentre.

link the processor schematics

I actually thought about that when I made the post, but was going for the more obvious "operating system" misnomer

goyed

Attached: Sisko.jpg (692x530, 96.43K)

IBM is too big for them to be one or the other, they change varying by department, it appears they still have good hardware guys but IBM software has been nothing but a pile of shit for decades.
Linux development will suffer because of this.

Another possibility is a new company coming from the RedHat people jumping shit.

That happened with Oracle, huge numbers of Sun devs just upped and left the moment they started pulling bullshit.
There's a problem thinking this will apply to IBM.
IBM won't be malevolent, they will just pajeet it, you're not going to see some massive dick move, you're just going to get slowly drowned in poo.

fixed

Hardware companies are incapable of producing decent software. Prove me wrong.

This doesn't disprove your theory, but there are plenty of hardware companies working on the Linux kernel. Samsung also created f2fs.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-29_01-13-36.png (345x721, 48.26K)

Correct, because a kernel alone is not a product.

Which RISC-V processors are the POWER series an alternative to?

Now that's a surprise. I thought all they did was embedded systems and pieces such as gyroscopes and shit. Do they run the full Linux kernel in those?

IBM isn't a hardware company. They are simply management. They have a spin-off company, IBM CIC, that does an absolute shedload of software consultancy. They outsource all their hardware to established vendors. You don't have a fuckin clue mate

I never said they are a hardware company. Maybe you should learn how to read.

How many shekels does it take to buy out an NSA operation? Or what is happening here?

Then what the fuck was the point in your initial retarded post?

Come back when you think of one.

The reaction online is pretty diverse:
twitter.com/RedHat/status/1056623066019696640
I have to agree with the discontent, esp. that comment about the recent lay offs by IBM.
channele2e.com/news/ibm-watson-layoffs-2018-health-staff-members-cut/
Reading the comments, I'm not doubting IBM has its own Internet Defense Forces.

Reminder that this doesn't exist and there is no real RISC-V CPUs out there.
How can you pose an alternative to something that doesn't exist?

Better IBM than poettering

TI makes the Sitara SoCs, which are sometimes used in ARM SBCs in addition to their typical embedded applications. They do indeed run Linux. The newer BeagleBoard models come immediately to mind as examples. A few years back the now discontinued TI OMAP SoCs were also used in some smartphones.

i hope they lay off every single redhat employee

Attached: inthepalemoonlight8.jpg (475x363, 31.75K)

These big companies are find as hardware makers but software always turns to shit. SaaS and licensing cancer will spread. Expect linux to get tied up in lawsuits soon like BSD did in the 1990s. Think about the SCO drama but on a much larger scale. Constant lawsuits is how these big old tech companies do business. Volunteer devs wont risk getting involved and you will be left with nothing but pajeets working under corporate protection.
Linux will die like it started. Linus started linux because of ongoing BSD litigation. Soon someone will start something new because of ongoing Linux litigation.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18321884
If true, this is very very bad news.

Lig ma nix

This is like when I open my music collection in a shitty "tag based" music player.

Attached: handrubbingintensifies.jpg (511x507, 92.64K)

Attached: fellowkids-ibm.png (900x720, 639.28K)

It's IBM. Should make it a pajeet.

One more reason (as if there weren't enough already) to operate non-systemd.

But you would rejoice and celebrate if the news was that IBM is taking Thinkpad back from Lenovo, wouldn't you?