/Apple/ general

apple.com/mac/docs/Apple_T2_Security_Chip_Overview.pdf

You are literally retarded if you care about your privacy and buy a new hardware that is not Apple.

Attached: relevant.jpg (2040x1360, 543.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

truly based and redpilled.

Bait thread. Report and ignore.

explain Mr.Krzanich

user’s password, these limits are not enforced after the user has successfully
logged into the Mac, but will be re-imposed after reboot. If the 30 attempts are
exhausted, 10 more attempts are available after booting into macOS Recovery.
And if those are also exhausted, then 30 more attempts are available for each
enabled FileVault recovery mechanism (iCloud recovery, FileVault recovery key,
and institutional key), for a maximum of 90 possible attempts. Once those
attempts are exhausted, the Secure Enclave will no longer process any requests
to decrypt the volume or verify the password.

"When a Mac computer with the T2 chip is turned on, the chip executes code
from read-only memory known as the Boot ROM. '''This immutable code, referred
to as the (((hardware root of trust))), is laid down during chip fabrication and is
audited for vulnerabilities and (((implicitly trusted))).''' The Boot ROM code contains
the Apple Root CA public key, which is used to verify that the iBoot bootloader
is signed by Apple’s private key before allowing it to load. This is the first step
in the chain of trust. iBoot verifies the kernel and kernel extension code on the
T2 chip, which subsequently verifies the Intel UEFI firmware. The UEFI firmware
and the associated signature are initially available only to the T2 chip. "

I use an iPhone because I don't believe in a privacy friendly baseband device and that Apple is the smaller evil compared to Alphabet, I'd never buy Apple x86 hardware though.

Not a bad choice honestly, Apple's built in cryptography is solid. But not being able to install anything without banking information is absurd. I think most people here would prefer LineageOS + microg for that reason.

Look faggots anything Apple does is bad, and you know it. I'm not a friggen newb, okay? I'm not. I am a computer expert and read all the right forums. I use linux, no, not some baby install like Ubuntu, but a real one. I the sort of guy you'll find running Arch, and if you dug into my past, you'd find I've dabbled with a bit of gentoo, so I'm hardcore. Yeah, I might not be able to program in any fancy LOW LEVEL language and grok all data structure crap, but I can mix it up in javascript with the best of them, and I'm working on achieving extreme proficiency in python. I don't use lisp because I'm not gay.

So, as a computer expert, Apple sucks. They need to be libre, because non-libre sucks. It just does. Proprietary? lol no. Me and all my hardcore expert friends we won't even touch it. If you want to be l337 like me, you just have to bash Apple. I'm sorry you're not smart enough to install linux I really am, but seriously, work on getting gud.

I used to be one of those underage faggots that hated Apple. After all, Apple is a low-hanging fruit pun completely intended when it comes to serious tech enthusiasts who care deeply about internals for price
Then as I got older and more mature I started getting interested in finder things like watches (Horology) and that's when it hit me.
Apple is the Rolex of computers
A nice Rolex may do the same thing as a nice Seiko Automatic for significantly higher cost, and quartz watches will always trump automatic watches when it comes to sheer accuracy. But people don't buy Rolex as simply a timepiece, again, there are cheaper options out there that work just as well and may even have the same attention to detail. No, people buy Rolex because the Rolex brand instills confidence, confidence that its makers care truly about their attention to detail, to pass rigorous Chronometer standards, built with the finest mechanical movements. That's what Apple is, they're a brand that instills confidence. Apple is primarily a Luxury Brand first and foremost, not necessarily a performance brand. People are confused as to why they keep raising the prices of their phones, but I get it, in fact I respect them for doubling down on it. They did it because Samshit and everyone else was trying to match their prices, Apple didn't want to be apart of a race to mediocrity, so they rose the cost of their products to be above everyone else. I respect that. I will never own an Apple device in my entire life, neither will I probably ever own a Rolex watch either, but I still see what Apple is doing.

Attached: naisu.jpg (600x600, 60.22K)

nobody wants your botnet tim

Watches? That's a silly comparison.

I used to be a neckbeard who built desktops and overclocked CPUs and installed gentoo. But now I'm getting older and work is tiring so I'd rather just have something that works well without having to wrestle with it or configure a billion different things.

Sure, I know how to use Linux and set things up and ask on IRC for help when something segfaults or whatever. And I still use Linux for VMs and my web servers.

But the "it just works" thing is mostly true for macOS. I like it.

I can use bash, git, coreutils, moreutils, homebrew, Xcode, IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, CLion, Sublime, VS Code, iTerm2, etc. But unlike Guhnoo slash Loonix, I also get support for MS Office, Adobe stuff, and a lot of shitty electron apps lol (but they still work). It's a comfy development workflow.

Sure, I might not have an i69 1337K and 420GB of RAM and a GTX9000 graphics card. But I don't play video games anymore so I don't even care about that.

And you can always use VMware or Virtualbox or Parallels (or even bootcamp) if you really need Windows or Linux.

I think a lot of the reason why people hate macOS is because they've never used it and just believe what other people say about it. It's a solid OS.

Weird, I;m the complete opposite of you. I like Apple because their hardware feels rock solid, I never cared for Mac OSX, in fact Apple always seemed really out of touch on the software side of things outside their own ecosystem.

whats the alternative, no hardware root of trust? what are your implications, do you have an hearsay that implies T2 is compromised?

No efforts on this bait i see.

Attached: 2.jpg (768x514, 28.48K)

That hasn't been true for at least a decade. The last line of apple machines that weren't poorly built were those Mac Pro towers they discontinued in 2011. In truth, the last worthwhile Apple machines were likely the G4 and G5 PPC machine- and even those had their issues.

idk about you guys but i think this is signalling from mac that shit is fucked and they are the only ones creating their own hardware apart from Intel that I've seen with any capability to compete. I look forward to what they do once they relegate the Intel processor to just a workhorse.

if I was rich and didn't do all my computing on a 200 dollar chromebook, I'd get a macbook

see

User flashable open-source firmware/FPGA cores for one. Coupled with open-source software that's been fully audited to ensure the absence of backdoors.

U-boot on one of the more open ARM boards is better than this Apple shit.

2018 and they are still using AES.
I'd like to see some combo encryption engine support, like AES / Blowfish and varying key length, via software configurable hardware.
Think Veracyrpt on a chip.

Can you cite a paper that proves why a "combo crypto" increases the strength over the strongest algo from the set used individually?

Its ashamed that they are so pozzed and their management is fucking garbage. They're also terrible if you wanna play games, with Linux being increasingly better which will soon be better than macs in that regard (I would say hardware wise Linux is in general is superior to Macs, but more games still support it).
Also stating the obvious, lotta proprietary shit
Apple also has weird fucking engineering when it comes to their products, check out Louis Rossmann's channel to give a pretty good idea.
That being said, I'll give Apple a few props for things:
I am actually considering buying a Macbook Air from someone to just try it out, I did a couple of hours today and it was a surprisingly good experience. Same with a iMac Still love my Linux though, only use Wangblows for vidya anymore.

Well, even Apples ARM chips, the fastest in the industry, are miles behind x86-64, ARM itself has a fundamental IPC limit that will always make it slower than x86-64
If Apple is able to make an entirely new architecture I'd be okay with that. But God I hate ARMshit so much and I hate all LARPers that advocate it.

Duplicate thread

Why do macfags do this?

Attached: npc.png (474x474, 34.54K)

Larpers huh? Most people with a cellphone or tablet are using ARM processor. It's fast enough for most stuff that people do. The only problem is their GPUs often don't have open source drivers. A couple of them do have open source Linux drivers though.
Even the Raspberry Pi (probably the most common SBC) has open source GPU driver, although this particular board has a different sort of problem: it needs a firmware blob to start the CPU cores. Someone was working on an open replacement, but the project is stalled and it's not in a usable state yet. But you can buy the other SBCs recommended on that page for now.

They don't advocate ARMshit, that's not who I'm talking about, and using mobile trash is a horrible example anyways. Mobileshit uses ARM specifically because its so weak and low powered

Sure they do, they love and constantly talk about their kewl fones. They even pimp them out with fancy cases and shit. The fact is ARM can do the job for most people's needs. Anyway I don't get why someone would advocate x86 or Apple, when TALOS is avaiable now and more open, and is the logical step up for people whose needs are greater than what ARM is capable of.

Into the trash it goes.

"Excuse me sirs, but that was computer not a wastebin"

explain Moshe

< Consumption is gud

Botnet OS is still botnet OS, and OSX is a worse evil than Microsoft.

Apple used to be like Rolex but now it feels like a knock off where the real Rolex are laptops made in China.

Eat your words then

Moar normalfaggotry

why don't I just get an entire computer as an external USB device and use that as a workaround
I don't get the USB loophole.

>trusting the (((security))) chip made by what's essentially a fashion brand
Apple products are status symbols, nothing more.

Caricatured Zig Forums so hard they didn't even notice.

I feel you.

I use an 8, my past few phones were iphones as well, mainly because i've been able to jailbreak them every time. Android would just fucking break every time i wanted to do something.

So Zig Forums has finally become cuckchan/g/. Good. Good.

It's not a loophole. The problem RMS has is with hardware that needs closed drivers and/or firmware. So he suggests to buy one of the better boards, but if you're stuck with one that has shitty hardware you can always get a more open USB wifi dongle or whatever. Then you don't have to load any blobs to use your computer. So unless your board needs a blob to boot (like the RPi), you can have a system with all open source drivers.

Off the top of my head, stacked algos, means that you'd have to find multiple independent weaknesses in order to break them without bruteforcing

That being said, I stick with plain AES, for the hardware acceleration of reads and writes

Alphabet doesn't make the baseband or CPUs though. That's all on Qualcomm, MediaTek or Samsung.

Ultimately, yes.
Utilize a Thunderbolt connected FPGA, ROM, UEFI and UEFI boot partition on a device about the size of flash drive.
Thus when the the physical "key" is removed, the whole computer becomes a doorstop.

Underrated Post. I don't come here often and wasn't sure if this was pasta or not. Fucking Christ.

Attached: 1538095785688.gif (320x385, 1.27M)

this thread is completely filled with crapple shills